• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

IVs

s|ush

Reaction score
Ok right! I am going flipping crazy trying to work out what the heck they are, how to work them out, how they effect the Pokemon! And I'm getting no where! I have spent hours trying to figure out how to work them out! I have read so much on them its untrue! But its maths and I really am not very good at it! If there is anyone out there who could simplify it and make it easier for me to understand I would be so greatful! Thanks for any help

IVs in Pokémon are kind of like your genetics. They're different for every Pokémon, and they're reflected in their stats.

Though they're far from being the only thing that affects stats. The nature, the level, the EVs, all of those affect stats, too.

Is there anyway of working out these IVs easily?

IVs are are a randomized and permenant number between 0(worst) and 31(perfect) chosen for each of the Pokemon's stats. IVs are decided as soon as you encounter the Pokemon, and they can't be changed.

So, if you have two Skarmory with the same natures

Skarmory A has 31 IVs in Attack.
Skarmory B has 0 IVs in Attack.

Both Skarmory are trained up to level 100, with maxed out Attack EVs, Skarmory A will ultimatly have 31 more points in it's attack stat than Skarmory B.

There are techniques one can use to detect/control IVs such as:

The Master Breeder in Pokemon Emerald, he will tell you how you Pokemon's overall IVs rank, and he will tell you which IVs are the highest. (Or you can find online IV calculators)

Breeding, a baby will inherit three IVs chosen at random from the parents, so If you have a mother with perfect IVs for HP and a father with Perfect IVs for Defense, then there's a chance the baby will have perfect HP and DEF IV's and one other IV randomly chosen from one of the parents. The other three stat's IVs will be chosen completly at random.

Thank you soo much! That has made it so much clearer! For the first time I actually think I understand it!
Just to make sure, using ur examples it would only be a difference of 31 points at maxed out form. Or is that just an example? Would it ever be more? I assume it's less if the gap is less. Eg, 31 and and 12 say, the gap would be 12 points at maxed out stage? Yes?

Again. Thanks for the help :)

Yes, 31 is the maximum point difference, so if the IVs are 31 then the stat will have 31 points over a Pokemon with 0 IVs would have .

and you are correct whatever the number for the IV is, is how many points will be added to the overall stat.

So an IV of 12 equals 12 points to the stat, and IV of 16 equals 16 points to the stat, etc.

Ah thats brilliant! Thank you so much! It has never been made clearer! I also found a good calculator on the net. Most appreciated help and comments!

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom