• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon on BBC News

Argy

∠(>w<) #634
Reaction score
While browsing the BBC News website (at work, lol), I came across this in the health section:

Bonus points for getting a screenshot from the relevant scene.

000b6has.png

SEIZURES!!

Wait, why is there a picture of Pikachu? That wasnt what caused the seizure...

And why are people still whining about that? Ok, somebody screwed up. But to be talking about that years later...

Oh, I watched that episode. Downloaded it. Didnt understand a word. Well, it was Japanese and all. But I didnt get a seizure. So I probably dont have epilipsy!

They're not whining about it. They're discussing the regulations to avoid seizures after the unveiling of the logo for the 2012 olympics caused some and that Pokémon episode happens to have been the biggest cause of seizures on television recent years. Within the area the article covers, it is a big thing.

And it was Pikachu's attack that caused the seizures. Porygon is just a scapegoat.

Here's the actual article.

Last edited:
The problem was the big flashes of light. They should show a picture of those. Pikachu set events in motion, but the flashes actually triggered the epilipsy attacks.

screenshots

I got your screenshots right here!

check the attachment

(Do I get extra extra bonus points?)

I meant bonus points for BBC, but sure...

Well, I still don't get why, if they just simply remove every alternate frame in that flashing sequence, the main problem would be solved...

(has a wishful thinking that someone might read this and... oO )

Well, I still don't get why, if they just simply remove every alternate frame in that flashing sequence, the main problem would be solved...

(has a wishful thinking that someone might read this and... oO )

I've thought about it - and yeah, it is too easy for them to have overlooked that.

I'd imagine that there's too many bad memories attached to the episode because of the problems, and they don't want to risk digging them up.

Though it's sad that Porygon and its evolutions have never had any new role in the anime since then...

btw i have a link the logo video that caused the seizures
dont watch it if you are affected by this kind of thing
basically if you watched the Porygon episode with no ill effects you should be fine
watch at your own risk

http://kingnutter.com/articles/view/327/

Yes the tapes of the Porygon episode were destroyed by the Japanese government so the only copies floating around are bootlegs off of original tapes made when it aired in japan

...wait, that was *it*? I've seen faster flashing than that in music videos, and you never hear about *those* causing seizures.

On an unrelated note, that video lead me to believe that wheelchair basketball is finally an Olympic event. Is that true?

I watched the Porygon episode and felt a bit queasy but I think it was more that I knew it was coming than the flashing. I watched the Olympic video without any problems so yeah, it must've been that I was expecting it.

I meant bonus points for BBC, but sure...

I know, I just wanted my spot in the limelight

That Olympics video looks wack, they've could have done something better

oh well, I forget, did anything relevant happen in the Porygon episode?
It wasn't like the Dratini episode we never saw, where one day Ash has a billion Tauros out of nowhere?

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom