• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Puyo Puyo Series Thread

Favorite era of the games?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
There's a lot more fellow Puyo Poppers around here than I initially thought there were! So talk about your favorite game(s), your favorite character(s), lore and all that good stuff here.

My fave and my main whenever possible has always been Lemres; he's a very whimsical and kooky kind of guy, ya just have to love him for it. But I also like quite a lot of other characters, with the first ones coming to mind right now being Arle, Popoi, Tee, Witch, and Otomo.

My favorite game overall is probably Fever 2 — but I think the games that I've played the most have been PuyoTet on PC, 15th Anniversary on DS, and Fever 1 on GameCube. (While PPT's dub is great, surely I'm not the only one with a soft spot for the dorky English voices of Fever, right?)

my people.. .

I've played the original Puyo Puyo (and Puyo Puyo Sun?) a few times on an arcade cabinet (not original), but it was hard because I am slightly colorblind (tm) and the blue and purple were not different enough for me to instantly tell?? LOL

But I'm a pretty recent fan in terms of games. I've played Puyo Puyo Tetris 1 and 2 (to varying completions in the story mode), and also some of Puyo Pop Fever on the Nintendo DS!

My favorite character is Lidelle because she is really similar to me in a few different ways... she is very shy! And she has Draco Centauri, and like Lidelle, I have someone like that in my life as well... aside from Lidelle, I also used to like Maguro quite a bit? And Draco too now LOL.

I'm much better at Tetris than Puyo Puyo, but I still really enjoy Puyo Puyo at any rate — certainly one of my favorite puzzle games ever!

(oki which older puyo game should i play)

Last edited:
  • Staff
(oki which older puyo game should i play)
How much older is "older"?? I started out with the classic Compile games, but yeah, they're pretty hard and they don't always hold up for everybody. (I will say though that SUN is my personal favorite of those, and there's even an official PC port of it that you can still play. :enzap:)

But if you just mean anything before PuyoTet, I think you would most like 20th Anniversary; the story mode for each character in that one is really entertaining. I'd also recommend Fever 2 since it has a lot more content than the first one and I personally had a lot of fun with it.

ahh puyo thread!! my fav is probably also fever 2 just bc klug is my favorite character, and i adore the plotline with him in that game...however i play puyotet 2 the most just because no matter how much i practice i'm just generally noooot the greatest at puyo puyo. puyo puyo 7 is also another close fav, specifically for how ecolo is written and portrayed in that game, i find it a lot more enjoyable than most current appearances of the character (that's not to say i don't enjoy ecolo in newer games, just not as much)

also i agree on the eng fever voices, klug's voice in the fever will always be how i imagine him sounding in my head! fever 1 is the only puyo game i physically own (though, i'm not sure where my cartridge is because i have no idea where my ds is), so i definitely have a lot more appreciation for it than i used to for that reason.

There's a lot more fellow Puyo Poppers around here than I initially thought there were!
i know, i find it kinda funny that every puyo pouyo fan i've met they're always a huge fan of pokemon. my first exposure to the series was actually on this forum, specifically chidamari sketch and rainami (still sad that she's banned). at first i was intrigued by the designs and decided to check out the series. another online friend i have is also really into the series, so my interest grew from there.

also sig is the best character

IKR
I really like Modern Era because PPT (Switch) is the first game I got from it and because I like the artstyle of it
Classic and Fever are great also
If you want me to list what my favorite games from each era are, I’d be glad to

I’ve never been a major fan of Puyo Puyo, but I’ve always had a soft spot for it despite never actually being good at it, especially the earlier entries. Speaking of which, that’s kind of where I started, after picking up Tsuu and Sun for my Sega Saturn after trying out the Super Famicom version of the former on Nintendo Switch Online and liking it (and after seeing fan translations of the pre-battle skits on YouTube and realizing just how hard this series went with its… unique sense of humor, haha, and laughing my ass off at it all). More so than the gameplay — which, again, I’m not very good at at all — my favorite part of Puyo Puyo is how it mixes a deceptively cutesy and innocent-seeming aesthetic with said brutal and hardcore gameplay, as well as with its often not-so-cutesy and not-so-innocent character interactions and jokes.

As for favorite era, I suppose Classic if only because it seems as though I’m the only one here so far who has a serious liking for said era, haha, and also because, again, that’s pretty much where I started. And also because I legitimately like the art style of that era more than the wacky and explosively cartoony retool that the series got once Sonic Team took over, with the former reflecting more of the typical anime style of the 90s that I’ve always had a soft spot for. And also because I appreciated the many experiments that Compile undertook with the series doing that time like Waku Waku Puyo Puyo Dungeon and Puyo Puyo DA!, even if not all of them were actually all that great (and probably didn’t do any favors to Compile’s bank account, I’d suspect). It doesn’t really seem like much has changed over the years as far as the series’ humor goes, though, if what I’ve seen of the English dubs of the modern games are any indication, at least. And if that’s true, then that’s just how I like it, as it’s not really Puyo Puyo without that, I think. (How said games have managed to get away with anything less than a Teen or 12+ rating in the West is a mystery for the ages, though…)

Well, hi everyone!

Puyo Puyo is definitely one of my top favorite franchises. I would probably cite it as my favorite of the falling blocks genre as a whole, alongside Panel de Pon and Tetris. I'm in the camp whose first exposure to the series was "Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine": a game I found pretty hard as a kid, but housed a fondness for because it was a nice break in between playing the other games on Sonic Mega Collection. I discovered it was a reskin of another game some time after, but I wasn't actually enticed to explore Puyo until years later, when a friend of mine was revisiting Mean Bean Machine herself and suddenly got into these games by proxy. She shared a clip of herself playing Puyo Puyo Tetris with her other friends and I thought, "Huh, that looks fun..." So I started with the Compile-era games, skipped around a bit, and eventually worked up to playing PPT for myself.

While I'm not actually any good at these games still, I find them charming and fun nonetheless! The cheeky humor and the lovable cast drew me in as well, and even just practicing or enjoying the stories are some of my go-to ways to decompress whenever I'm not feeling so great. My favorite entries are probably Sun and Tetris 2. My favorite characters are Satan/Dark Prince, Lemres, Ai and Ex for being a big bunch of dorks with just plain cool designs.

Well, hi everyone!

Puyo Puyo is definitely one of my top favorite franchises. I would probably cite it as my favorite of the falling blocks genre as a whole, alongside Panel de Pon and Tetris. I'm in the camp whose first exposure to the series was "Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine": a game I found pretty hard as a kid, but housed a fondness for because it was a nice break in between playing the other games on Sonic Mega Collection. I discovered it was a reskin of another game some time after, but I wasn't actually enticed to explore Puyo until years later, when a friend of mine was revisiting Mean Bean Machine herself and suddenly got into these games by proxy. She shared a clip of herself playing Puyo Puyo Tetris with her other friends and I thought, "Huh, that looks fun..." So I started with the Compile-era games, skipped around a bit, and eventually worked up to playing PPT for myself.

While I'm not actually any good at these games still, I find them charming and fun nonetheless! The cheeky humor and the lovable cast drew me in as well, and even just practicing or enjoying the stories are some of my go-to ways to decompress whenever I'm not feeling so great. My favorite entries are probably Sun and Tetris 2. My favorite characters are Satan/Dark Prince, Lemres, Ai and Ex for being a big bunch of dorks with just plain cool designs.
Are you me? And they’re also one of my favorite games! (I wish I had Sun, but it’ll NEVER ever be localized so not a chance) My first game for it was the first Tetris, and since then, I got a bit into the series but more in 2020 (I got the SEGA AGES Puyo Puyo with NSO TSU and the English version of Champions/eSports, which I wanted since like 2019, after watching a livestream on YouTube about it)

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom