• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Sources?

buggie

Reaction score
I know this may be a lot to ask for, but it'd be very helpful to me (and hopefully other people) if the 'pedia entries had sources or citations. I've noticed in my 'reasearch' that Pokémon often contradicts itself, and it'd be nice to know where which 'fact' came from.

I'd be more than happy to help out with this, but, honestly, I don't know how to edit a page.. If someone could help me with that, I'd be really appreciative.

Thank you *bows*

You have to be logged in to edit a page. Once you are, just select "Edit this page" at the top of the screen.

When does Pokémon contradict itself? Different canons can differ on things but we have different sections for them.

The source is what the content is about. The anime episode or manga or video game. If we specify that, I don't see much need for further citations.

Eh, episode/chapter/game location citations would be nice, but a lot of work.

"Edit this page" isn't always at the top of the page BTW.

Citations are often pointless, as it would, for many articles, simply cite things that are either original research or ROM dumps/etc.

The infrastructure, however, is in place for it. The Cite extension, as used on Wikipedia, is also available on Bulbapedia.

Oh my.. I just tried to find a page that was missing sources... It seems I was a little delirious when I made this topic. Once I get a topic in mind, I get tunnel vision and I tend to overgeneralize. Of course that's no excuse..

But I could've sworn that there were entries without sources somewhere...

I guess I meant sources for the not-so-straightforward entries, such as the Legendary_Pokémon/Birds/Beasts/etc. entries. Some things, like "The DNA of all Pokémon can be traced back to Mew, and thus it represents the origin of life" I've seen almost everywhere, but I haven't seen any citations to back it up.

And then there's the trouble with LaRousse and where it's located. The article mentions a Japanese Promotional map, but doesn't link to it.

Just little things like that. I think most everything is well sourced, but some of the popular beliefs don't have anything to back them.

That's from the games, the DNA thing. We can, I suppose, formulate a way to cite Pokedex entries from the game, but that's like saying President Bush is a white guy. Do you need to cite your source? It's self-evident if you dig just a little.

Was it? I don't remember any game saying Mew could be the origin of life. I think they said the DNA thing, but I can't remember the origin of life ever being mentioned.

From the Pokédex entires on the Mew page:

Crystal: Some people began research to see if it is the ancestor of all Pokémon.
DP: Many scholars regard it as the ancestor of Pokémon.

Apparently, the theory is holding up well.

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom