• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SpinyShell's Photo Thread

Spider/Doves/Hawk
  • So I've discovered a funnel-web spider in my backyard. It's hard to tell the species, but I believe it is either a grass spider or a hobo spider. In this photo, you can see it sitting at the entrance to the funnel part of its web.
    oRIR9eQ.jpg
    A few days after the above photo, I went out to take pictures of it at dusk, and discovered it attacking a winged ant, which I believe was a southern fire ant queen, that had gotten into its web. I've seen these spiders before, but never with prey, so this was kinda neat to see. The spider was more active towards the beginning of the attack. It kept circling the ant, which was vainly trying to escape, and biting it. I didn't see the spider actually eat the ant nor bring it into the funnel, however, when I went to look at the web the next morning, there was no trace of the ant nor a hole in the web so I am assuming the spider ate it. The photos are in chronological order.
    eRRpfpN.jpg

YqqUIko.jpg

QfRngZS.jpg

To go to something much less creepy and much more cute, I spotted a pair of mourning doves today eating out of one of the bird feeders around my house.
    MJa991c.jpg

Q324sRS.jpg

8nGGp8X.jpg

d8YTBzc.jpg

Another bird I spotted today was this hawk, which I believe is either a red tail hawk or a red shouldered hawk. I'm leaning towards it being a red shouldered hawk, but it's hard to tell. As I was photographing it, it was making this sort of seagull-like cry, which was a bit different from the cries I normally hear hawks make--a sort of "ear ear ear" kinda of cry but more "screechy."
    gMFFlHz.jpg

RBxWktk.jpg

uvdDh0x.jpg

K1MPTNj.jpg

Toads, Titmouse, Finches, Other
  • Sorry for the long delay between posts, I was busy with summer school and a bee sting. Anyways...

Tonight me and my dad went out in our backyard with a flashlight and I was able to catch a few photos of two toads which I believe to be California toads (a subspecies of the western toad according to Wikipedia). My father spotted the first toad, but I managed to see the second, whose position I was clued onto when I heard it move in the leaves. There's a third toad in my backyard as well, but I haven't seen it.
    kHm8H3N.jpg

8ymTL6H.jpg
    rwMxMbB.jpg

51YxhGG.jpg

A few days ago I was out underneath a pine tree when I heard some high pitched chirping. Perched above me was what appeared to be an oak titmouse. It was so mobile, hoping from branch to branch, that I was only able to get one good photo. They are very cute, very tiny birds.
    palFVag.jpg
    Speaking of birds in pine trees, I also managed to get a few photos of some finches. I believe the birds in these photos are all lesser goldfinches.
    1t6r0HB.jpg
    The two finches in the photos below were right above me, which was pretty neat.
    qMLRROz.jpg

UzcCtnD.jpg

4wDjkAK.jpg

Here's some extra photos of the hills somewhat near my house and some plants (unfortunately, I don't know the species of the plants as it is much harder to search for them as I don't think they are local plants).
    ZAUf1eC.jpg

FEvZ2X7.jpg
    Edit: The scientific name of the succulent in the top photo is, according to my mother, Plectranthus tomentosa.
    nuzqAs6.jpg

Zu5Us4r.jpg

Also, here's a link to the imgur post that I made with all the images.

Last edited:
    Butterflies and Moth, Hummingbird, Lizards
  • I've got a couple of photos of a few different butterflies and one moth (which I originally thought was a butterfly), so I decided to post the best pictures all in one post.

The first photo I have is of what I believe to be a mournful duskywing.
    aY1h1Tk.jpg
    The next butterfly is called a common buckeye. I was out in my front yard when I noticed it land on some grass. Upon closer inspection with the camera, I realized its left wing was quite damaged, however, it appeared fully capable of flying.
    wRbYhAL.jpg
    There's a lot of bright yellow butterflies in my area, and they are rather hard to photograph because they fly very fast and rarely land. I managed to get a somewhat blurry photo of one up close, which I believe is a cloudless sulfur, as well as two images of two of the yellow butterflies in flight. I'm not certain if they are the same species as the first yellow butterfly.
    xp3Xm4z.jpg

HrNdK1A.jpg

frXzucl.jpg
    This last photo is of a moth that was quite difficult to identity as I originally thought it was a local butterfly. Turns out it appears to be a species of moth, Glyphodes onychinalis, that, according to Wikipedia, is native to Eastern Asia and Oceania. At first, I thought it had some greenish-white splotches, however, it seems that the white parts of its wings are somewhat translucent.
    nSwKdy1.jpg

These next two images are of a hummingbird, which I believe is either an adult female or juvenile. I can't tell the species as, without close inspection, all females and juveniles appear pretty similar to me.
    gkOLVtH.jpg

KADNGQq.jpg

The last images I have for today are of two western fence lizards. You can't see it in the photos, but they have a blueish throat and belly. When I was younger I would try and catch these lizards with my hands or with a bug net.
    h9Zdnoh.jpg

jBmi1Qo.jpg

Imgur post link.

Pigeon, Woodpeckers, Beetles, Wasp
  • Sorry for the short hiatus, life was (and still is) just a bit chaotic so I didn't have time to upload photos onto my computer.

Today I spotted a bird that I have been wanting to photograph for a while now: the band-tailed pigeon. Earlier this year they started appearing at the bird feeders around my house for the first time and now they are an uncommon sight. One of them appeared at our bird feeders today so I grabbed the camera pretty quickly because I was so excited to get a chance to photograph one. These pigeons are absolutely massive, I'd have to say twice as large or even bigger than the standard rock pigeons you might see in cities. They are also very timid, so I had to be careful with taking these photos least the pigeon see me and fly off.
    9R0Zsaw.jpg

0G7XpLJ.jpg

yq2Uivr.jpg

Lvywlsa.jpg

vyNtmJb.jpg

Another species of bird that I was excited to photograph were two acorn woodpeckers. Acorn woodpeckers aren't the only woodpecker species in my area, but they are the most common.
    7wRUmfU.jpg

qqsvmc4.jpg

zJqwWsq.jpg

UoLexWv.jpg

To shift gears, I have a couple photos of two insect species that I've spotted in my backyard.

The first couple photos are of a tiny beetle called a small milkweed bug (which I originally misidentified as another bug called a boxelder beetle). Most of the photos are of its back, however, in the last photo you can see the insect's red underbelly. The top two photos were taken a few weeks ago while the bottom two are more recent.
    76mqtEs.jpg

piD0mjc.jpg

hp5QtF1.jpg

ETczIl2.jpg

These last two photos are of a wasp which I believe is a western paper wasp, though I could be wrong as I found it a little hard to identity.
    3ZJWA6l.jpg

wk17o2t.jpg

imgur post link

Kestrel, Squirrel, Bumblebee, Landscape
  • Some more photos.

My mother and I were driving around the neighborhood when we spotted a small bird of prey, a male American kestrel, perched on a power-line. The little bird was doing some stretches, and I got some nice shots of his barred wings and tail.
    XI1jgwY.jpg

hI5duTV.jpg

oDkdc9R.jpg

Uugj3Iq.jpg

cJcEdxC.jpg

We also spotted a small ground squirrel (I think it might be a baby or juvenile) near the power-line where the kestrel was, peaking its little head out of a hole in the ground. Oddly, when it spotted us it ran out of the hole and off to some brushes somewhere. My mother loves these squirrels while my father hates them because they eat the food he puts out for the birds.
    tzpDwpG.jpg

5RaSRDk.jpg

YQYA0gw.jpg

The last creature I have today is a bumblebee, which I think is a male Van Dyke's bumblebee (there isn't much information on the Internet about this species so I'm not certain). I got really excited when I saw him because I've never seen a bee like him before.
    BrimAOK.jpg

mAnHyUV.jpg

SwTvFQY.jpg

ErQydYG.jpg

Lastly, I have a few more photos of the dry hills near my house.
    a44TrvI.jpg

jZJeHbV.jpg

BOtGXgU.jpg

imgur post link

Scrub Jay, Squirrel, Spider
  • All righty, so I have a few more photos. Unfortunately, the SD card on my camera got corrupted and all the photos on it are most likely lost. Fortunately I managed to save some of the best, and I also have a new SD card and have already taken some good photos on it (which I need to upload onto my computer). At any rate...

The first few images I have today are of what I think is a California scrub jay. They're very beautiful birds with their bright blue plumage (unfortunately it was cloudy when I took these photos).
    ajuguXO.jpg

UdqkCDO.jpg

R7cAGgI.jpg

The next few photos I have are of a squirrel, however, it is not a ground squirrel. Instead it is a type of tree squirrel called a western grey squirrel. I haven't seen many grey squirrels as of late, only ground squirrels, except for this one that climbed into a tree in near my house. This guy was sitting in a low branch, however, when it saw me and my mom it jumped pretty fast to a branch much higher up.
    cABwRMI.jpg

W9YCL3w.jpg

CE4jJlL.jpg

Next, I have several photos of a pretty neat orb weaver spider that I've been meaning to post for a while. I believe the species is Metepeira spinipes, however, I am not certain. This spider had built a cup for itself out of debris and hid in it for most of the day, however, when I went out at dusk I was able to see it in the web. Unfortunately, the web has been knocked down recently and I'm not certain what happened to the spider.
    6Tf3w7Q.jpg

BAcqWlR.jpg

RZOFUyI.jpg

QgRQzXY.jpg

maD7qho.jpg

Bobcat, Wren, Hummingbird, Lizards, Butterfly
  • Alrighty, so it's been a while since I've last posted, but my life has finally calmed down enough where I have time to sit and sift through all my photos. I'd like to note that these photos cover a span from late summer to fall to early winter-ish, so I didn't see all these species, especially the birds, in a close time span. Unfortunately the camera I'm using has developed a glitch: a faint black line arcs through the bottom left of photos, though it's only noticeable against light backgrounds such as the sky so you might see it photos like that.

The first set of photos are of an animal I've wanted to photograph for a long time: a bobcat. One foggy morning when I was washing my hands in the kitchen, I happened to out and see this guy sitting in our yard. We live on a slope so this cat was a bit higher than me. It sat for a few minutes before moving and climbing into the neighbors yard.
    MfCZptL.jpg

SENG9p3.jpg

POi3jFa.jpg

KQf8VE6.jpg

cEFNDjG.jpg

The next photos are of a very tiny bird that I believe is a Bewick's wren. These little birds are adorable; they're rather animated and they hop around on their tiny legs.
    YMMovfm.jpg

FJuHn6O.jpg

hSuLZ4g.jpg

IFjzfHA.jpg

Another feathery creature that I've managed to capture with my camera is several male Anna's hummingbirds. I've waited out in my yard several times waiting to capture one feeding from our flowers. Depending on the lighting and angle, his crest appears either black or a shade of magenta in color. I think these photos are all of the same individual as one hummingbird seems to have claimed part of our yard as his own, he tends to perch in the same locations.
    WdStd93.jpg

ziMeeib.jpg

vTNA0Fd.jpg

7lBx52J.jpg

6GuOpC2.jpg

ipwUMMn.jpg

VSvYx7F.jpg

CZ0crZy.jpg

JhGM5KQ.jpg

fpzMxkp.jpg

These next photos are Southern alligator lizards, and the only other species of lizard I see other than fence lizards. The first individual I discovered wrapped up in some plants and the other I found in some sand on the edge of the more mountainous area around my house. The second lizard was slowly moving to some bushes a feet away, but it wasn't walking like a normal lizard. Instead, it was gently pushing its limbs as though it was swimming. Eventually, when I got too close, it shot off into the plants--I imagine it was cautious considering its tail looked like it was still regenerating.
    SOMq2VH.jpg

2aYMk4M.jpg

hP85Rom.jpg

y0gNnaR.jpg

SzmIzdM.jpg

zs5KR0B.jpg
    5BtiEOq.jpg

qXGnNo3.jpg

Em8PQC5.jpg

The last photos I have for today are several images of a monarch butterfly. Usually they're pretty hard to photograph as they move very quickly and don't really like to stop on any of the flowers in my yard, so I was very happy to get a glimpse of this guy.
    VxeIxZN.jpg

cnPty6A.jpg

aOp6NX0.jpg

fpNplQK.jpg

Nh79JCy.jpg

MA8sYxL.jpg

Imgur album link

Last edited:
    Lots of birds
  • So, at the end of December me and my mother went to a nature park--basically a manmade lake + the surrounding areas--just to get out of the house (we wore masks and social distanced, which typically wasn't hard because there was a lot of space). I brought my camera along because I figured I'd see a lot of wildlife, which I did, though they were almost all birds.

The most abundant animal I saw at the park were the American coots, which are colloquially called mudhens. I really like these birds, mainly because their feet look so funny. People would throw food at them, and they'd go crazy, running over to wherever the crumbs or seeds fell, even climbing over each other to get at the food.
    TpRYoeG.jpg

LgU6XfR.jpg

TRQy9Ax.jpg

ipFqpoD.jpg

kkpJUUJ.jpg

6Ruf6z6.jpg

lSGKQRg.jpg

utjd8fl.jpg

8u01qMh.jpg
    This particular individual managed to snag themselves a rather large piece of bread, which they ran off with and were promptly mobbed by gulls.
    YoF31QF.jpg

8mOHeFh.jpg

7remog1.jpg

Speaking of gulls, I also managed to catch a few photos of them as well. I know the gull with its wings closed in the first photo and the gull in the second photo are ring-billed gulls in their winter plumage, but the other birds, including the ones above, I'm not so sure.
    zPM11Br.jpg

fzNdL5L.jpg

I believe the largest waterfowl at the lake were the Canadian geese, who were surprisingly polite.
    Fcdtqxl.jpg

k44PlCO.jpg

qliJUD9.jpg

AVBXIqU.jpg

dl0sIVj.jpg

4DM0bAp.jpg

I also saw lots of ducks: Mallards, introduced Muscovy ducks, and some birds I couldn't identify, possibly feral domestic ducks. Due to the image limit, I could only post a few photos.
    pdnB9ER.jpg

CDT2PxR.jpg

NsGH6GG.jpg

5QgIczN.jpg

There were a couple small Brewer's blackbirds along the shoreline. The females are brown while the males are black.
    jSadoMe.jpg

AztGdAb.jpg

zwoOAS2.jpg

92FXfNt.jpg
    There were another species of blackbird also along the shore, the red-winged blackbird. I saw almost exclusively males, which are black with red and yellow bands on their wings.
    xD6eQN6.jpg

juUv5Yv.jpg

JqBROpW.jpg

Y8Dq7Rq.jpg

z8o9Wjn.jpg

4c0Zuz7.jpg

9oHBII1.jpg

EzmKzid.jpg

qg72tyu.jpg

c6AKb1b.jpg

Lots of birds 2
  • Here's the second batch of photos from the park.

This little bird was a bit hard for me to identify. I believe it's a spotted sandpiper in nonbreeding plumage, which is significantly less spotted.
    eAfIwLo.jpg

ae1AhGC.jpg

fMuG6bS.jpg

ZE261Gy.jpg

I only have two similar photos of the next bird, which I believe is a Say's phoebe.
    XI1nyCF.jpg

xNfwwVg.jpg

I also saw a great egret, who was wading along a more secluded area of the park, which unfortunately had some pieces of trash along the bank.
    KNmECQC.jpg

Fj8srR7.jpg

IbvGfD4.jpg

cMXTQCm.jpg

After the egret, I also saw this little bird which I think is a Hutton's vireo among some dry grasses.
    q7enfKw.jpg

85LZeSq.jpg

Next couple of photos are of an osprey, which I was super excited to see as I've only seen pictures of them. I think this bird might be female due to the brown speckling on the breast, however, I've heard males may also have faint brown speckling so I can't say for certain.
    Wf2h8tX.jpg

ObYk7Dh.jpg

UGXGdRq.jpg

VOHXTQK.jpg

zD5Hd82.jpg

A2dTVI8.jpg

I saw two red-shouldered hawks at the park, one of which was perched in a tree screeching at some red-tailed hawks that were flying around. Me and my mother watched as it flew off after one of the other hawks, chasing it into a tree. After a few minutes, it flew to another tree while the other hawk flew off. Then it joined up with its partner and chased off another red-tailed hawk. Note: the last photo was rather dark, so I adjusted the brightness a little.
    GrvvKQB.jpg

OLmtfZx.jpg

z2Ujjka.jpg

uXrHLLo.jpg

JWCcP9e.jpg

Z6Pfaa1.jpg

Speaking of red-tailed hawks, I also managed to get a few photos of them as well. The first image is of the hawk, which I believe is a juvenile due to the lack of a red tail, that was chased into the tree by the red-shouldered hawk. The rest are of a different individual perched upon a tree, who I also believe is a juvenile or young adult due to having a whitish tail.
    02ZjVKC.jpg

aLWqhCI.jpg

opN6TC4.jpg

ltePJWW.jpg

LxgajK0.jpg

zWRep0Y.jpg

I also saw one more type of hawk at the park. I believe this individual is either a juvenile Cooper's hawk or juvenile sharp-shinned hawk, leaning towards the former. This hawk was much smaller than both the red-tailed and red-shouldered hawks. The first three images had their brightness adjusted as they were originally rather dark, to the point the photo looked like it was taken at dusk.
    3ngwx0p.jpg

Fc5AJFW.jpg

OssXh8g.jpg

oIE1xgU.jpg

oOh5e6G.jpg

6mNTudq.jpg

Cormorants, Mallards, Rabbits, Bluebirds, Crows, Egret
  • There's a wash sort of near my house that my mother and I started walking along. Most of the photos here are taken of what we saw near the stream or what we saw on the way. These photos were mostly taken all on separate days.

These photos are of some double-crested cormorants. There's a large pond right before the entrance of the wash, which is where they were resting.
    N1Hpl2h.jpg

vsLJiei.jpg

NsDh6nG.jpg

UF4p9h1.jpg

u0ahP6m.jpg

There's a certain segment along the stream that has a bunch of mallards nesting there.
    sfH2Ity.jpg

DTTfIa5.jpg

boLJwgP.jpg

DDkB84L.jpg

X2eRsub.jpg

Also near that part of the stream is a bunch of desert cottontail rabbits. There's some tall grass and bushes nearby where they hide.
    D8E9thi.jpg

ZFqRUxI.jpg

Gd9m4FK.jpg

HYwD2F5.jpg

The next photos are of some western bluebirds. The last photo wasn't taken near the stream, but on our way home.
    cvPLdRN.jpg

doanbD5.jpg

JL5v8hd.jpg

American crows. The two in the first image were near a great egret, speaking of which...
    DKgNYac.jpg

VHMMdJd.jpg

vqEVfjx.jpg

Here's the egret. It was standing on only one leg, which I thought was pretty impressive.
    oJ4XidP.jpg

X7YhSOj.jpg

ZEGL4EJ.jpg

Last edited:
    Woodpeckers, Kestrel, Hawks, and Vultures
  • More photos. I'm too lazy to write more descriptive stuff haha.

Acorn woodpeckers
    Md7uO21.jpg

6YT49iT.jpg

y2HWT3v.jpg

hZ62VOZ.jpg

Red-breasted sapsucker
    lF8Mnxs.jpg

5zjL3oD.jpg

Jc7pCrh.jpg

American kestrel (male)
    HLSkd4X.jpg

CgiXdql.jpg

N8IE1NR.jpg

MhxH1Az.jpg

S4wH24Y.jpg

eiK1ZVA.jpg

HTijIAi.jpg

pQiP1Wl.jpg

Red-tailed hawks
    yO123Lp.jpg

rQh09Pn.jpg
    Juvenile red-tailed hawk or possibly a Harlan's hawk (a subspecies of red-tailed hawk)
    AQuvW2Q.jpg

enMUoPS.jpg

Turkey vultures
    2khfHc5.jpg

ciw2zaP.jpg

0AjifLk.jpg

Kyw6npk.jpg

FmB8M0s.jpg

Album link

Back
    Top Bottom