• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

\(T)/ (‘~’) (o_o)

Review
  • RRR is a Bollywood action-musical-historical epic. It is 3 hours long, and pretty much every minute is fun. Here's the rundown:

Plot: The plot centers around two men who become best friends, Bheem and Raju, who are on separate paths. There are about 5 different plot threads: a romance, a search for a stolen girl, a friendship, a counter-revolutionary hunt, and a spoiler that I won't reveal. But despite the length and amount of different plots going on, it's hard to feel lost in the threads, because the cast remains fairly small, and the plot centers around two characters and their interaction with each other and the world. Furthermore, the pacing never really slows down to a crawl, as some long movies are prone to do. There never really feels like anything is without meaning

Action: The action scenes in this film are really good. Actions are sold through acting and sound effects pretty well. But also, they are fun turn-your-brain-off moments of watching two dudes take on an army. Or they hold emotional and/or plot impact. Either way, it is going to hold your attention.

Acting: The acting is perfectly fine. It isn't supposed to be incredibly serious every moment. However, I don't speak Hindi, so I can't really vouch for or against it. \/('_')\/

VFX: Really good. The animals look great, the way crowds are shot gives a sense of skill, non-organic VFX is manipulated in a way that improves the cinematography in really subtle ways. The artists have both worked hard and smart. As fr as I can tell from watching, nothing was given too much or too little money.

Cinematography: Pretty straightforward. Nothing crazy, but the way shots are shaped gives a little bit of imagery and symbolism.

Music: Good. I also can't really vouch for or against, due to not knwoing Hindi.

Overall: You can choose to think or not during this movie, but either way, you will be entertained.
    9/10 shmeckels, a must watch if you have the time and means.

Debunkery
  • Welcome to Debunkery, a new series unique to this blog. Here, I'll be debunking conspiracy theories by looking at their most popular arguments and then knock them over the head with a wooden board. Today, I'm covering Flat Earth.

Intro:
    Flat Earth is a conspiracy theory that posits that the Earth is actually flat. The proposed map to replace the standard globe makes the Antarctic a gigantic wall of ice surrounding the earth, with the Arctic functioning as the center. Think of the UN's logo. Anyways, here are the most common arguments:

Why do flights not go on direct paths across the Southern Hemisphere?
    The fewer amount of people and the fewer large ariports within the Southern hemisphere force airline companies to get the most bang for their buck in terms of fuel cost by travelling to Northen hemisphere cities. Furthermore, cross hemisphere travelling from the Southern hemisphere is simply more popular.

Certain cameras can see "past" the horizon, proving that the Earth is flat!
    Turns out, human vision has something called a limit. The cameras that can supposedly see "past" the horizon just have better visual distance than eyes, therefore observing that which is not possible to see with eyes.

Images of the Earth from the moon released by NASA show a fuzzy area surrounding the Earth when the brighness is raised.
    That's just standard jpeg compression on the Internet.

The Egyptians believed the Earth was flat, and they built the pyramids, something we can't do today!
    Oh my, they built the pyramids, so they can't be wrong on completely unrelated topics!

Other
  • Some stuff I've been enjoying lately:

Nier:Automata: An interesting game. I'm not very far in, but it's okay in regards to philosophical questioning. There is some really frustratingly heavy-handed symbolism (Adam and Eve? Get back into Kingdom Hearts!). I'm excited to see where it goes next.

Electronic music: Sylvan Esso is a very intriguing electronic duo. Very unique sound and lyrical style. Varien is always a hit. Woody Vibes and Rakoon, are the same as usual.

Apex Legends: My little brother got it, and I have to say, unfortunately, it's a good game. As much as I would like to harangue the AAA team behind this, it's good and well designed, and diverse, and has cool character designs. I'm just a sucker for grappling hooks and surveillance drones.

Transparency (YouTube channel): Legitimately awesome video essay channel that analyzes stuff. Their Balan Wonderland video is great, and so is their Death Stranding one.

Bible: So for context, I found a Bible at a thrift store, and bought it on a whim, because I liked the leather cover and small size. I've started reading it, and a lot of the issues of the inflexibility of religion are coming up. Interesting for analysis, and maybe something I can write on later.

School: So I'm on the Esports team, and I'm fairly happy with the people we have for Smash this year. They aren't great, but we can teach them. (Also, side note, I've picked up a Terry secondary to go with my Olimar main. And my basic skills with a lot of characters has increased, namely Incineroar, Corrin, and Zelda. ALSO, I got Duck Hunt into Elite Smash, and now they're my highest GSP character. I just played as them for two games because I was bored, and then got them in. Weird.)
    In terms of schoolwork, it's intense. The year is starting to kick into high gear, and with 3 AP classes and pre-calc, it's a little tough. But it's also fun, because it feels like the teachers mostly respect the students more. Also, I just like going in-depth on specific subjects.

So, good day to anyone reading :D

LIFE GAH
  • Oh my gosh, my AP Lang class right now.

Okay, so for context, we do this thing called Shared Reading where someone submits a short story/excerpt/piece of literature, and the class will analyze whatever is submitted. I told the teacher this person online had volunteered their story for information how to write better (see responses, analyze for information). I gave her a link to a short story, and a transcript of said story, but she just gave the class the entire link, so now everyone sees the surrounding context of this. And my forum of choice is now openly visible to my peers. Ouch.

But the prompt for analysis is really embarrassing. This may be just me, but it implies I posted this, which I really didn't want the class to know. The prompt is below.

"This is our first one -- so please just share your reactions! I [REDACTED TEACHER'S NAME] will be the only one to see your reactions, but I will probably, eventually, share them with [MY NAME REDACTED].

This is a non-Pokemon-related short story posted on an online Pokemon forum, meant to entertain.

Write 2-3 sentences. Think about tone ...."

I don't now whether to laugh or cringe rn.

Back
    Top Bottom