• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ongoing The CapsLocke - TheCapsFan's Nuzlocke Challenge Series

Which game should Caps play next?

• Pokemon White

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Pokemon Moon

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Pokemon Gold/Silver

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pokemon Sword

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
Challenge FAQ
    • Staff
    CapsLocke FAQ

Q: What is the CapsLocke?
    A: The CapsLocke is a Pokemon challenge where I will be doing a Nuzlocke of every main series Pokemon game, streamed to the Bulbagarden Twitch channel.

Q: What is a Nuzlocke?
    A: A Nuzlocke is a self-imposed challenge with two basic rules: I can only catch the first Pokemon I see in each area/route, and once a Pokemon faints, it cannot be used for the remainder of the run. For more details, check out the Bulbapedia page on the subject!

Q: That sounds tough! Are there any additional rules you’ll be using?
    A: Yes actually! I’ll be adding the following base rules to my challenge runs:
    • If my encounter is a Pokemon that I’ve already caught, or part of an evolutionary family with a species I've already caught, I am allowed to gain an extra encounter (duplicates clause).
    • If I've run out of valid encounters in any area by following duplicates clause, I will take the first encounter at random like normal (anti-dupes clause).
    • I will be nicknaming any Pokemon that I encounter. You can suggest nicknames for my Pokemon by redeeming Channel Point Rewards!
    • X-items and EXP Candies will be banned, but all other items will be allowed.
    • My starter will be chosen using the last digit of my Trainer ID (1-3 = grass, 4-6 = fire, 7-9 = water, 0 = my choice!)
    • Gift Pokemon will count as a potential encounter for the area they were given to the player in. Eggs and Game Corner Pokemon will count as Gift Pokemon.
    • If I run into a Shiny Pokemon, I can catch it, but I can only use it if it is the first encounter in that area.
    • If I white out at any point, the run is over and I have to restart from the beginning of the game.
    Additional rules may be added for each individual challenge.

Q: I’ve heard of these super-hard Nuzlockes called “Hardcore Nuzlockes.” Will you be doing any of those for this challenge?
    A: Not at the start, I’m a noob when it comes to this stuff. But - later down the line, possibly!

Q: What about any other Nuzlocke variants?
    A: I do plan to do a couple of variants here and there, though I haven’t decided on everything yet. A couple of things I’ve already thought about doing are a starter-only run of LGPE, and a Nuzlocke using only Wonder Trade Pokemon for one of the later generation games (maybe something like Sun/Moon).

Q: What games will this challenge cover?
    A: This challenge will cover one game from each pair in Generations 1-9 including remakes, in addition to all third versions, B2W2, USUM, and Legends Arceus. For example, for Generation 1, I will play one game between Red and Blue, as well as Yellow.

Q: But…that’s not every game, is it? What about the other pairs?
    A: sigh no, it’s not every game. I’ll probably save the other pairs for the very end of the challenge, if I’m not bored of Nuzlockes by then!

Q: What order will you play the games in?
    A: Whichever order I want! I will probably save the third versions for after the pairs, and want to avoid playing the same region back-to-back. The only exception to this will be Black/White and Black/White 2, which I plan to do back-to-back...though, that's subject to change.

Q: Which games will you be playing in the near future?
    A: Click here to access a Google Sheet that contains info about my progress in this challenge.

Q: At what point will you consider a game "complete" for the sake of the challenge?
    A: The "end point" of any run differs depending on the game. For example, for FireRed/LeafGreen, I will consider the run over when I defeat the Elite Four and Champion. But, for the Johto games, I will consider the run over when I defeat Red. Regardless, I will only consider a game complete when I have successfully completed a Nuzlocke run of that game. If I lose the run, I will continuously attempt until I complete the game!

Q: Will you be using any…uh…"self-added QoL improvements" to the games?
    A: You can say the C-word. And no, I won’t be adding any cheats, like infinite rare candies, or anything like that which are standard for some nuzlockers. I’ll be playing everything on actual hardware too. Unfortunately, this means there will probably be a bit of grinding in some places (and little speedup DURING grinding), but I will try to limit that to off-stream where possible.

Q: Sounds like it’s going to take a while…any estimates on how long this will take?
    A: Nope! Definitely over a year. This is gonna be at minimum, a challenge of 21 games. So, assuming that I stream once a week, and each game takes five to seven streams (15-21 hours) to complete, that’s already over two years, maybe three without any restarts. Idk. I’m bad at math. Point is, it will definitely take a while.

Q: How can we interact with your challenge?
    A: Great question! Bulbagarden has a variety of channel point rewards that you can redeem using channel points to affect the stream. One in particular costs 1000 points and allows the user to ban an ingame action. Obviously, this can be pretty detrimental for Nuzlockes in certain instances - so I'll be banning any "ban" on using Pokeballs or using a specific Pokemon. You can, however, ban specific moves or items! Furthermore, I'll be disallowing any sort of "force or ban" channel point rewards during boss trainer fights. I want to complete these tougher fights without any sort of outside interference that may put me in a situation where I lose due to a circumstance that's not related to the game itself!

Q: Wow, I can’t wait! But hold on…who are you, again?
    A: I’m TheCapsFan! I’m Bulbagarden’s Deputy Multimedia Executive, as well as an administrator on our Forums. I’ve been a part of the Bulbagarden community for over ten years, and began streaming on the Bulbagarden Twitch channel in the summer of 2022. I’ll also do the occasional non-Pokemon stream on my personal Twitch channel, which you can find here.

Q: Where can I be notified each time you go live?
    A: Follow the Bulbagarden Twitch Channel! I stream every Thursday at 8PM Eastern Time, and have a secondary casual stream where I play Mystery Dungeon and/or various other Pokemon games on Saturday mornings. You can also check out our Discord server, where we’ll be creating Events for every Bulbagarden stream. Lastly, I post before every time I go live on my personal Twitter, so feel free to follow that too!

--------------------------------------------------------------
    CURRENT GAME: Pokemon Omega Ruby
    CURRENT RULESET: Hardcore (No Healing Items, Level Caps, Wipe = Full Restart)

Last edited:
    Game 1 Start: LeafGreen
    • Staff
    We had our first stream of the challenge on Thursday, kicking things off with LeafGreen version! Brock gave us a scare, but we were able to power through.

Current Team (after Brock):
    • Cody the Charmeleon (Lv17)
    • ht14 the Mankey (Lv15)
    • Richie the Ratatta (Lv8)
    • Archaic the Kakuna (Lv7)
    So far, only one death to sacrifice our Lv2 Pidgey (named Staraptor) to Brock for a safe switch-in from Charmander to Mankey - in hindsight though, we definitely didn't need to sac him! Mankey was bulky enough to tank two Rock Tombs; but, we would have risked a higher chance for a speed drop which could have gotten us into trouble. Overall though, not too bad - we got the most optimal encounters for a Charmander starter (aside from maybe Caterpie or Pikachu > Weedle).

Also, I've added a few additional rules to the FAQ:
    • Shiny clause will be allowed
    • Set mode will be played wherever possible
    • Clarification around when the challenge will be completed - if I fail, then I will attempt the nuzlocke again until I succeed.

Last edited:
    Game 2 Start: Shining Pearl

• And so, with our adventure through Kanto complete, we're now venturing out to Sinnoh to begin our journey through Pokemon Shining Pearl! The difficulty will be about the same as for LeafGreen, given the QoL aspects of this game (global EXP share, friendship mechanics, etc), though the fights will be a bit harder than in LeafGreen.

To make sure that the difficulty is increased just a bit further as well, I'll be adding a new rule into this challenge:
    • I will be disallowing healing items in battle for this challenge. I think that in the first game, I relied too much on this in big moments - I tried not to, but I still ended up doing it to ensure victory (most notably in the Lance fight and the Blaine fight, I think). So - this will force me to use more healing moves, as well as consider sacrifice as a potential strategy.
    There are also a couple of adjustments I'll be making to some existing rules:
    • I will be adjusting the dupes clause rule to only affect pokemon that have a "captured" icon next to their name. This means, if I catch a Pidgey, I can catch a Pidgeotto later on if I don't evolve it. I'll be using this rule for future challenges & updating it in the OP accordingly.
    • For the Underground, I will be allowing one encounter for each of the "larger rooms." There are seven of these such rooms. I will go for the first pokemon I see that is valid. I'm anticipating these encounters to be tough because I think the Underground is scaled a bit above your current level.
    • For encounters that can happen at times outside of normal stream time, I'll be allowing myself to save those encounters and take them later. For example, Drifloon at the Valley Windworks, or any Honey encounters. Or any routes with possible encounters that can only be done in the morning. I'll try to identify these beforehand & work to adjust during the streams.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I've already done two streams towards this challenge, and through two gyms, we have zero deaths, albeit with a few close calls! Turtwig was the starter (per a D10, since I can't access my trainer card before picking my starter), and although I would have preferred to get Chimchar, it's not bad considering all the Sinnoh starters are pretty decent.

We almost had an early reset when my Rival (named after @DapperCody this time) nearly took me out - all three of my Pokemon at the time were in redbar/death range - but his terrible AI didn't notice the kill & chose to Leer instead of attack.

Roark was a fine battle, no issues & pretty easily taken out, and with Gardenia, I only had issues when her Zubat just would not miss her Supersonics.

Also, I had planned to use my Valley Windworks encounter on Drifloon & my Floroama Meadow encounter on a Honey Tree, but missed both of them yesterday.

Overall, it's been a smooth run so far and I think I have a pretty good team - only un-optimal encounter IMO was not getting Shinx, which would have been useful. Also we ended up with a really crappy Magikarp which is unfortunate (-Attack +Speed) but it's okay because we already have another Intimidate user with Staravia. Here's the team after beating Gardenia:
    • MORRIGAN the Golbat (Lv23)
    • Mrs. Chops the Machop (Lv19)
    • Pikastachio the Grotle (Lv22)
    • Krickenback the Kricketune (Lv19)
    • DuskingWinds the Misdreavus (Lv20)
    • BIRB the Staravia (Lv22)
    I also have a Psyduck and a Geodude in the back, amongst others. Not bad!!

Anyway, enjoy the vods & I'll be back next week with another stream!

Back
    Top Bottom