• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The hardest Pokémon game you’ve played

The hardest Pokémon game you’ve played?

• Pokémon Red and Blue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pokémon Gold and Silver

• Pokémon Crystal

• Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Pokémon Emerald

• Pokémon Fire-red and Leaf-green

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Pokémon Diamond and Pearl

• Pokémon Platinum

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Pokémon Heart gold and Soul silver

• Pokémon Black and White

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Pokémon Black 2 and White 2

• Pokémon X and Y

• Pokémon Omega ruby and Alpha sapphire

• Pokémon Sun and Moon

• Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Pokémon Let’s go pikachu and Let’s go eevee

• Pokémon Sword and Shield

• Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shinning Pearl

• Pokémon Legends arceus

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Pokémon Yellow

• Total voters
I would say Platinum the first time I tried to just brute force through it with only my starter Empoleon... Gardenia was trouble, even Maylene was trouble since it was part Steel fully evolved already, and do not get me started on trying Route 210 north without Defog... Also Cynthia, yeah, although I had Giratina by then.

... You REALLY need to do all the optional stuff in Route 212 before daring to attempt 210 north, learnt that the hard way... And you also better do all the optional Surf stuff sometime before League too.

General difficulty? I think it's can be Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, or maybe Platinum, which are, actually, just well balanced games.

Highest difficulty spike? Most difficulty Battle? BDSP, this game's elite four is ridiculously tougher than any other, even considering that in the midst of battle you can be blessed with the infamous "friendship" power. Secondly, Arceus Legends, the final part of the game, especially the battle against Volo and Giratina, is tough.

Last edited:
seeing a lot of SM/USUM and i have to agree. i havent played USUM yet but i remember struggling often in moon. it was never so difficult that i had to attempt a battle more than once or twice, but i do remember having to strategize more on the fly, and occasionally having those strategies fail, especially against those crafty totem pokemon and their little helpers, and capturing ALL the ultra beasts was a unique challenge. it was fun d: felt immersive, as it was.

also seeing a lot of platinum, which im currently playing for the first time. i havent really struggled too badly yet, esp since my monferno (lazlo) is ripped, but i just got the badge from canalave, it seems like the story is starting to ramp up, and im already aware of how notorious cynthia has made herself :jessie: wish me luck i suppose d:

as an aside, this is tangentially related, but i recently did a soul-link nuzlocke of crystal with a buddy. we werent able to complete it as life got in the way, but we did manage johto's elite four by a single (1) hp on my vaporeon, al (she had umbreon, ed). THAT was the hardest game of pokemon ive ever played in my fucking life.

The original RBY games were the hardest ones for me. In all my playthroughs I'm constantly under-leveled compared to the Elite Four the first time around.

I'm legitimately surprised that some folks said USUM. I played through Ultra Sun and only struggled against Totem Ribombee but even then it only took me two tries to beat it. Every other opponent was easy enough to beat thanks to the Exp. Share.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom