• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trainer Sprite Changes -- A Theory

MangaBottle

Lost and Confused...
Reaction score
Ok, we all know that up until the Second Gen, the PokeManiac class were creepy-looking guys in trenchcoacts and long hair. But in the Third Gen, they suddenly changed to become cosplayers in dino suits (although the FrLg PokeManiacs still retain a hint of thier original appeareance)
The Gambler class has also changed -- they used to be scruffy-looking old men in traditional Japanese garb, but now in DP they are younger, cleaner and more modern.
My theory is that this is due to cutural changes in Japan. Maybe the PokeManiac follows the sterotypical veiw of an Otaku, especially when you consider the negative connotations it has over there. Maybe back in 1995, cosplaying wasn't really associated with Otaku culture in the public mind. However, things change, and thus elements of the game were ajusted to fit with these cultural changes.
This is just a theory. You're free to post your support of critsism

I agree...but just pointing it out: aren't Pokemaniacs fat guys in glasses now? As I don't recall seeing anyone cosplaying. :eek:

I've noticed that the tubers in DP have a darker skin tone... could this have something to do with the Regions real-world counterparts?

Do the Bird Keepers still have mohawks? I can't remember if the've grown their hair out or not in FR/LG.

As for the other sprites, these games are so popular around the world that maybe Japanese culture is not the only one driving change. The Pokemaniacs long hair and trench coats could have been dropped because dark trench coats are a feature of stereotypical people who are threatening, shady and dangerous (a la Columbine) and giving them the tital "Maniac" dosn't really help shed a negative image. (Rediculous, but hey, who knows)? As for the change in the Gambler sprite, I don't know about Japan (and would love it if someone could fill me in) but with the popularity of Texas Hold 'em over the past few years, I could see why they gave this group of trainers a younger, more modern sprite. From parties to tv shows like Celebrity Poker and World Series of Poker, gambling has become a pretty cool thing for younger people. Maybe the change in sprite is a reflection of this?

Last edited:
Do the Bird Keepers still have mohawks? I can't remember if the've grown their hair out or not in FR/LG.

They had longer hair.

Now they have even longer hair in DP, because they're women. :O

I've always felt the sprites were just a generic representation of the characters, since I don't think all bug catchers in a reigion would look identical, or even wear clothes that are the same.

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom