• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Who would win in a Fight? Ash's Torterra vs Ash's Noivern

Who's Winning this?

• Torterra Wins!

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Noivern Wins!

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • Draw!

Votes: 6 24.0%

• Total voters

Rainbow-Rain

LEADER OF THE INTELEON DEFENSE SQUAD
Reaction score
Well? What do you guys think?

In one corner we have a Grass/Ground, Giant Sinnoh Turtle, standing at 7'3 and Weighing 683 pounds.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIt's TORTERRA!!!

In the other corner we have a Dragon/Flying Kalosian Dragon/Bat Hybrid standing at 4'11 and Weighing 187 pounds.

GIVE IT UP FOOOOOOR NOIVERN!!!

Neither of them have the best track record when it comes to winning battles folks!

Tonight's the night one of them will take home the glory as not being the biggest jobber Ash has ever had.

Which one will take another L?

Or Alternatively will they both somehow lose against each other effectively making it a Draw? :ROFLMAO:

Only you can answer that Audience!

In a competitive and realistic battle Noivern would undoubtably win, but since it’s the anime, I really, really want to give Torterra plot armour. The tortoise deserves a win :bulbaLove:
I’ll justify this with: Noivern hasn’t had much battle practice at all, whereas Torterra is experienced. In the anime, how the battle goes is (assuming Ash is NOT commanding them and they’re using their own wits and experiences with him):

Noivern and Torterra are sent out, the hypothetical commentator's favourite is Noivern due to the sheer type advantage, and since they’re a Noivern fanboy they try to rub Torterra's losses in its face, making it feel disappointed.

Meanwhile Paul and his own Torterra are spectating from the audience! Paul is indifferent, and his Torterra almost mimicks his trainer, but was that a nod of encouragement?
Noivern starts with an Acrobatics, which Torterra easily shields against thanks to its shell. Since a Noivern is inexperienced, it just tries acrobatics again, and again. And then Dragon Claw. Torterra feels slightly beat up, but it uses Synthesis to recover

Torterra starts to fire a powerful energy ball, but Noivern tried Supersonic and it disoriented Torterra enough to prevent it from actually firing the move. Noivern realised that sound based long range moves are the way to go. It starts brutally assaulting Torterra's (and the audience's) eardrums with a barrage of Boomburst attacks. Torterra is noticeably more tortured. It uses synthesis to recover the damage but the recovery is slower than the damage inflicted. Paul's Torterra looks fairly worried since defensive tactics won’t work here.

Torterra, feeling incapacitated, feels like proving itself, further fired up by the commentator remarking that it is helpless against an agile Pokémon like Noivern. Add a few flashbacks to its days as a Turtwig, its evolution into Grotle and now it had difficulties in adjusting to its new body. Then comes a brainwave. Torterra launches an Energy Ball upwards, at Noivern it seems. Noivern feels that it’s clever when it shoots the move back at Torterra using a particularly cleverly targeted boomburst. The audience thinks that the game is over when both moves rapidly rush towards Torterra...

Did Paul just smirk?

The moves fly straight towards Torterra and to Noivern's amazement... it swallowed the energy ball? It’s entire body flares up, surrounded by the familiar green aura of the improvised move. The boomburst hit is inconsequential, but it does one thing: activates Torterra's Overgrow, further boosting the Pokémon. Torterra uses a quick synthesis, and in its energy ball boosted state- launches its last move- Rock Climb.
Its speed is significantly enhanced thanks to the Energy Ball refresher, a few of the rocks hit Noivern. It tries to use acrobatics to escape, but Torterra rapidly climbs the rocks, and tackles Noivern with its significant bulk. If that weren’t enough, it fires an Energy Ball point blank. Noivern hurriedly tried to use boomburst, and it leads to an explosion. Torterra executes it quicker than Noivern could expect such a bulky Pokémon to move.

When the dust settles, both Pokémon appear collapsed but there is the sound of shallow breathing. The referee is prepared to call it a draw when the field is illuminated by the Sun, and Torterra stands groggily, enveloped in a green glow, replenishing its energy via Synthesis. "Knew it". Paul smirks, and leaves to collect his winnings from the commentator who had bet on Noivern winning.

Yes, I know it doesn’t make much sense. But this is the anime, not the games! I could’ve had Torterra learn a new move but honestly, I wanted to work with what it had. Yes it’s effectively a 2HKO, but imo it make sense since I imagined Noivern getting violently squished by Torterra after the Rock Climb. And I wanted Torterra to win using its uncanny reliance on speed at the end because, its Ash's Torterra. It’s different. It doesn't always rely on defence. This battle shows the defensive capabilities it has learnt from Paul's Torterra, all the while securing the win using the special personal flair of using its speed and agility that made it stand out from others of its species.
This ended up being an impromptu creative writing exercise lmao.

Last edited:
Looking at the movesets... Noivern has Acrobatics, meaning it would dodge Torterra's Rock Climb. However, Torterra HAS had training, is more bulky and has recovery options.

If Torterra focused on swallowing its Energy Ball, then I think it could plow through Noivern's quad resistances if it gets a hit in. Energy Ball swallow + Rock Climb and Leaf Storm combo could be enough to knock Noivern out.

On the other hand, Noivern could use Supersonic to mess Torterra up and use Boomburst. It also needs to stay away from Torterra, so I wouldn't recommend it using Dragon Claw.

I think the fight could come down to who can land a hit first and I think that will sadly end up being Noivern. Then again, Torterra could chip away at Noivern's health with a powered up Leaf Storm. Though at the end, Torterra needs more to setup than Noivern so I'd say that Noivern would win. It also doesn't help that the bulky physical Torterra has only Sp. Attack Grass Moves.

Last edited:
If we look at this base stat-wise, the two are almost equal, a difference of 10 points when it comes to base stat totals. In terms of individual stats:
Torterra has higher HP, Attack, Defense, and Special Defense
Noivern has higher Special Attack and Speed

Looking at their movesets, and assuming there's been no changes in either, Torterra is at a massive disadvantage here: Noivern quad-resists Energy Ball and Leaf Storm, while Rock Climb has been far more of a hindrance than a help in almost every battle that Torterra's tried to use it in (and even if that wasn't the case, Noivern can fly, and the way Rock Climb is animated makes it seem like it'd be very difficult at best for it to touch an airborne opponent). Synthesis might help Torterra prolong the match for a bit, but it's rarely seemed to do its supposed job of revitalizing well, seeing how Torterra tended to be KO'd right after using it. Noivern meanwhile has access to Acrobatics, which while coming off of its weaker offensive stat and dealing damage to Torterra on its stronger defensive stat, is at least super effective and boosted by STAB.

That said, I personally voted for the match to be a draw because tbh, I wouldn't want either of these two to lose any more fights. I'd prefer if they were pitted against someone who could actually afford to take an L and win.

Even ignoring the type advantage Noivern won a battle or two, but I'm pretty sure Torterra never did after evolving. So I think my money is on Noivern.
I’m pretty sure the net record for Torterra is higher. Noivern has had one win, while I’m pretty sure Torterra did have multiple wins in its other stages.

Noivern, as it has the super-effective Acrobatics. Torterra's Grass attacks aren't going to hurt Noivern much, and Rock Climb has been a hindurance since Grotle evolved.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom