• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Will Disney overtake Pokemon

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. Any
Ok so I'm at work and I have a co-worker that has a kid that is a Pokémon fan, and she told me that Disney offered to buy The Pokémon Company. What was it? Like a billion bucks?! Oh Arceus I hope that doesn't happen. I almost cried. But it doesn't seem that far fetched to me, now Disney owns a shitload of companies. Please, put my mind at ease and tell me it's not going to happen!

There was a video discussing this since 2019 and it has not really happened since. I would not be too concerned about it.

I doubt they'd sell; for one thing Nintendo owns a decent chunk of it, and I can't imagine them wanting any chance you'd see the next mainline Pokémon releasing on the Playstation 5 or Steam.

Not happening now, not even in our lifetimes, and probably will never happen. The more lucrative a franchise is, the more the company owning it will want to keep hold of it or will want to stay independent so it can get most of the profits.

Plus, Nintendo already owns a third of the franchise, there's no way Nintendo is going to suddenly let main series Pokemon games appear on systems that are not of their own.

This is the same thing that happened when Microsoft wanted to buy Nintendo, in which Nintendo basically just laughed directly at Microsoft's face for even thinking of the idea.

So no, Disney will not own Pokemon, case closed.

Not for now, that rumor is likely fake. Disney is in some trouble right now as Disney+ is not producing the money they expected, and their box office numbers aren't in a great situation either, so I don't think they'd want to spends thousands of billions of dollars in an extremely costly IP like Pokemon.

Even in the remote case it happens it will be an smooth and slow transition, like with the Simpsons where the pre-Disney and post-Disney seasons aren't much different at all.

Please note: The thread is from 10 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom