• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh About difficulty and art style of Sword/Shield

Same here, actually. I actually lost interest in Sun and Moon, especially after playing RPGs that had a "Very Easy"option (Persona 3 Portable and Persona 4), or battles that generally be over quicker (Final Fantasy 13). Just because we're adults does not always mean we can afford a challenge - Some of us like me have actual commitments, you know?
I don't think that playing one hour a day over a month is much of a commitment, or that the difficulty affects time investment too much (unless you resort to grinding, but SM have many alternative tools). It's okay to prefer easier gameplay just because it's more fun for you.

My guess is that it will be less hand-holdy than Sun and Moon since they mentioned Let’s Go would fill some of that beginner player void, but still having some of the staples like “How to catch a Pokemon”. I’d like to think they learned some lessons after 7th gen’s extended movies lol.

I found SM and USUM fairly challenging. So I’ll be satisfied if that carries over to Sword and Shield.

I found SM and USUM fairly challenging. So I’ll be satisfied if that carries over to Sword and Shield.
Me too. In most games, you can steamroll everything with only one Pokémon with the exception of the League. In Gen VII the difficulty was constant, and with the exception of super effective moves and Z-moves, I was not able to 1-hit my way to victory.

I think difficulty also varies for players based on how much effort they expend on optimizing their team in turns of types, movesets, stats, etc. So how difficult the developers think the game is might depend on how they think the majority of their customers play.

I want to enjoy these new games but...
I do not know why but since Pokémon X / Y the graphic style of the games seems quite the same for me. Maybe it is the jump to 3D, but I just do not like it very much.
Also, since Pokémon X / Y the games have been adapted a lot to new players. Which is fine, but in my opinion they made it too easy. Increasing a lot of potions and free money, tutorials that babysit you like you never touched a game in your entire life... The dungeons are nonexistent and turn into straight roads. Lately pokemon games reminds me of a walk in the park or a sightseeing tour more than an actual adventure. I think that's why this last trailer did not give me a good feeling, because it reminds me too much of all that. Thoughts?

I get maybe im criticizing too much but its just the feeling i have about the new games.

One of the reasons why I didn't played XY was because of the artwork for Kalos which made it seems very grounded in terms of architecture, except for Lumiose, something that happened in ASOR...I still hate how some buildings in Rustboro were shortened and while in Sapphire it felt like a City, now it feels more like a big town, ending up with wanting the games to return to 2D sprites. I always think on how great Castlevania Symphony of the Night was on PSOne despite being in 2D Sprites.
Another thing is that I don't like the new Sugimori art style and for SwSh I just hated having that Turner instead of Sugimori.
Last but not least, I enjoyed Pkmn because the regions were based on Japan and now they're touring around the world, which I like less.

Last edited:
Most people don't seem to realize that the reason the earlier games were more difficult is because they had less content so they had to make the game feel longer somehow. I will agree though, USM took things a bit far with Rotom blocking the menu to give me "advice I didn't ask for" when I'm 200 hours into the game.

Don't forget the pretty limited movesets that Pokémon had even including TMs.

Definitely. I don't miss HM's. We need to get rid of the Move Deleter and Name Rater too. One of the quality of life changes made in Let's Go that I definitely appreciated.

tutorials that babysit you like you never touched a game in your entire life

Biggest grievance right here. Even if there were no tutorials, if you don't know what to do you can just ask on the internet; that's a thing now.

Biggest grievance right here. Even if there were no tutorials, if you don't know what to do you can just ask on the internet; that's a thing now.
Not everyone has that access though.

There simple ways to do it without jippping the newer players. When a character asks if you know how to use your running shoes or soemthong like that, and you select yes, they don’t explain it to you. One of the flaws is that the game will still give you an explanation or instructions regardless of your answer.

They also have to take into consideration the types of players. Someone who does IVs and EVs and knows what’s the best item will have an easier time than someone who is completely winging it and not worrying about that stuff.

XY was overly easy because they badly spaced early game so you ended up unintentionally over leveling. The Alola games feel a bit more balanced, but I don’t do any kind of special training so maybe that’s why for me.

As for art, I think it looks amazing. Some Pokémon are a little strange looking but overall so far amazing. And with the switch being the platform, I’m hoping that the trailer matches reality.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom