• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Abuse of the 'other web site' source type?

Zhen Lin

φιλομαθής
Reaction score
There is a small, grey area of sources which are neither "other web site" (which should be reserved for third-person reports) but not press releases either - official announcements from the organisations themselves, or their newsletters and publications.

So.

What should we do about that? Right now, we just dump just about everything into "other web site", which actually reads "Originally reported on ...", which is strictly speaking, incorrect.

I credit the magazine AND the site I got the scan from.

We would credit them directly if we had them right in front of us - but we don't, so we have to credit the immediate source of the information - since the reliability hinges on the immediate source in that scenario, not the primary source (the magazines).

We do have our own content, and it is handled under the "Bulbanews" source type, since again, the immediate source is a Bulbanews writer/reporter, not the magazine itself. Indeed, primary sources would almost never be an immediate source, because everything is subject to the interpretation of the reporter, unless, of course, it is a press release that has been published verbatim.

However... in certain cases, in the prevailing trend, the primary source is credited, instead of the reporter - this is the case we are discussing now.

Perhaps we should credit the reporter, then provide the link to the official source at the bottom of the article under an "Information" heading.

I see this, um, policy has already been implemented. We should rewrite the corresponding Bulbanews guide section.

On another note, the anime series title should be abbreviated to Diamond & Pearl, not Diamond, Pearl - that should only be used to refer to the games. (I mean, you don't see newspapers talking about a TV show called Law, Order, right?)

Perhaps you should have mentioned that ampersands are allowed now. ;|

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom