• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime breeding rules

Nekusagi

Badass office lady
Reaction score
This is a question that's been nagging at me for some time.

In the anime, do the rules of breeding as outlined in the games apply? Most more obsessive fans could tell you that in Mewtwo Returns, a fundamental rule of breeding within the games is broken at Purity Canyon in the form of Nidoqueen and Rhyhorn having a family of baby Nidoqueen (see attached screenshot for the adorable end result). Mostly because Nidoqueen can't breed, period. So it begs the question: is this yet another example of the differences between anime and game worlds, or just the writers for MR not doing their homework? Or, on a completely different note, could this be a side effect of Nidoqueen's and Rhyhorn's status as clones?

Have at it.

Last edited:
A better question is why Nidoqueen are sterile in the first place.

The only logical reason for Nidoqueen's sterility would be because they didn't know how to fix it so that she'd produce something other than just Nidoran Females. But in the third gen they must have forgotten about her, because they made it so Illumise and Volbeat produce either or, rather than strictly female offspring.

But either way, I'm sure the Rockets would be fascinated to find out what their technology accomplished. Although on the other hand, no one seemed surprised to see it...

As far as it being fully evolved, it could have just evolved really fast.

I'm thinking Exp Share something fierce. They nabbed it off a stray trainer and proceeded to take the li'l ones all over the forest as they beat up everything that moved.

Rare Candy spamming FTW.

I'm thinking Exp Share something fierce. They nabbed it off a stray trainer and proceeded to take the li'l ones all over the forest as they beat up everything that moved.

Of coarse, that wouldn't explain where they got all of those Moon Stones needed to evolve them into Nidoqueens, but what ever.

Anyways, I think that we can safely assume that at least the Egg Group system exists within the anime to a certain degree. We've already seen a few instances of cross-species affection, such as Tropius and Meganium or Totodile and Azumarill.

As for the Nidoqueen and Rhyhorn from Mewtwo Returns, I would attribute it to them being clones. Mainly due to the Nidoqueen giving birth to fully-evolved babies, as we've seen quite a few examples already of fully evolved Pokemon raising unevolved young.

Considering the fact that she was a clone of a fully-evolved Pokemon, and that the purpose of the cloner was to make stronger copies of the originals, it would make sense that the cloning process would repair Nidoqueen's natural sterility. Producing more Nidoqueen could be an unexpected result of the fact that Nidoqueen don't have the ability to spawn new Nidoran.

Huh? where were the Meganium/Tropius and Totodile/Azumarill pairings?

Meganium/Tropius: Odd Pokémon Out
Totodile/Azumarill: Love, Totodile Style! (which also had Totodile/Quagsire)

There's also been Mawile/Lombre and Mawile/Psyduck in Once in a Mawile, Marshtomp/Flaafy in A Chip of the Old Brock and (although a bit one-sided) Buneary/Pikachu in most episodes featuring Dawn's Buneary. I guess this was an attempt to showcase egg groups.

Adding on to the Nidoqueen thing, remember in Who Gets to Keep Togepi, the twerps are speculating on what the egg would turn out to be. Misty hopes for a Tentacruel and Brock hopes for a Golem. I'm guessing evolved Pokémon can hatch from eggs, Brock and Misty meant they wondered if a Tentacool or Geodude would hatch (and you know, evolve later), or they were just unaware of how bredding works. I like the second and third guesses best... Of course, it's also worth noting this was before G/S came out and it's possible the in-game rules didn't exist yet. *shrugs*

I really wouldn't be surprised if it can just happen in the anime, i mean we did see a baby Lugia which presumably came from its mother.

A baby Golem would have been cute though.

I really wouldn't be surprised if it can just happen in the anime, i mean we did see a baby Lugia which presumably came from its mother.

My theory on that is that Legendaries *can* breed (otherwise where would new Legendaries come from?) but not in captivity, so hence you can't breed them when you catch them.

My theory on that is that Legendaries *can* breed (otherwise where would new Legendaries come from?) but not in captivity, so hence you can't breed them when you catch them.
There could always be the argument that they're not so much born as created. I've seen that before that because they're legendary like God makes them when one is needed or something.

I think those Pokémon babies were evolved to be a metaphor, or an indirect statement telling how pure that water really is.

That's what I think.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom