• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Are Ghost Pokemon Really Ghosts?

What Are Ghost Pokemon Really?

• The Spirits of Deceased Pokemon, Obviously!

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • Their Own Unique Species, of Course!

Votes: 94 83.2%
  • Silly Question... GHOSTS AREN'T POKEMON!!!

Votes: 6 5.3%

• Total voters
Ghosts can, in the pokemon world, breed. The pokemon world is a world of fiction and doesn't necessarily operate as ours--though, who is to say that ghosts in this world don't breed: I doubt few here are experts on the subject.

Anyway, ghosts taking on living forms isn't too different from various other materials taking vitality, like grime, mud, trash, etc. So really, perhaps only the first generation of Gastly was Ghost and undead; for every generation after, "undead" was a state and fact of life. Regardless of whether you believe in a creator or not, life had to spring from unliving matter or something else (ghostly substance, I dunno) at one point or another.

Anyway, I think everything, Mew, ghosts, gaseous bodies, limited intangibility (dragons and birds and others can make contact), spiritual origins, etc., can be reconciled together.

There is difference with Ghost Pokemon inhabiting objects than than say Grimer and Muk who are living sludge. Banette's body really isn't its body as it is a spirit that is possessing it. Muk and Grimer are literal in what they are.

As for all their origins, Arceus and the creation Pokemon were first. And its 's a fairly popular belief that the first widely spread Pokemon species were probably Mews that evolved into the ancient Pokemon like Aerodactyl and the other fossil Pokemon and then continually evolved into modern Pokemon. If thats true than all Ghost Pokemon should be are living creatures that posses spiritual qualities just because their past ancestors evolved to have those traits. So the spirits themselves are Pokemon, just evolved to be very different. And it does show that all Pokemon actually can be reconciled together since they share basically the same ultra ancient origin.

I kind of think that Ghost Types are spirits created without death somehow. According to Banette's Pokedex entry, it's a possesed puppet, but some ghost types don't look like ghosts, like sableye or Drifloon.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom