• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

August 2012 "Pocket Monsters Reburst" Review Thread

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
11579004.jpg

94888717.jpg

57344034.jpg

90935967.jpg

11568267.jpg

78733358.jpg

63212502.jpg

68655178.jpg

OK, Hariru is defeated, and Carola is probably dead.

Who knows.

Crot-er, Fraud is too powerful, so Ryouga decides to hike it and run, er, fly. Huh. The compass can fly. That's kinda cool.

Oh, and apparently, Fraud and Arcades are old enemies.

Chapter 68: "Tears of the Strongest"

Fraud tells Hariru to come at him, but Hariru doesn't move right away. He believes that it'll all be over if he's hit with even one of Fraud's attacks, so he starts to dart around the room really really fast to see if his opponent has any openings. His reconnaissance mission ends with him seeing that no, Fraud actually doesn't have any vulnerable spots. He decides to charge at him anyway with his Dark Launcher attack, but Fraud easily deflects it. However, unknown to Fraud, the Hariru he just pushed away was only an illusion! The real Hariru appears behind Fraud and is about to deliver the real Dark Launcher attack, but Fraud catches his leg before his kick has a chance to connect. He then slings Hariru into a wall on the other side of the room, knocking him out.

As Carola gets angry, tears begin to flow down Fraud's face! He believes it's tragic how Hariru doesn't have any real power and dreams of creating a peaceful world where nobody is powerless! Carola charges at him angrily, blaming him for all the bad things that's happened lately, but Fraud quickly takes her out.

Meanwhile, Ryouga decides that they have to hurry up if they want to reach Arcades before Fraud does. After all, there's no way they can deal with Fraud with the amount of power they have now! Ryouga sets the six Burst Hearts into the Compass of Light, causing a blinding light to shine out from the compass. It starts to levitate off the ground, so Ryouga and the others grab a hold of it before it gets away. The power of the Compass of Light eventually pulls everyone off the ground and sends them flying through the air.

Meanwhile, the tracker that Gerubu had placed on Yappy relays their location to Gerubu and Fraud. Fraud puts on his hood and says that it's about time they have a talk with Arcades face to face.

The teaser text at the bottom of the final panel (it's cut off from the cell phone picture linked to in this thread) tells us that both Ryouga and Fraud finally meet with Arcades in the next chapter!

43377934.jpg

76549566.jpg

39188649.jpg

32890051.jpg

33432936.jpg

71282177.jpg

19957389.jpg

This week on ReBURST, we don't see Arcades, but his manager, who's gender I can't tell at all.

Well, time for another fight, another test to see if we can meet Arcades.

OK, place your bets. Which Burst do you think this person'll have? I'm calling Samurott.

This week on ReBURST, we don't see Arcades, but his manager, who's gender I can't tell at all.

OK, place your bets. Which Burst do you think this person'll have? I'm calling Samurott.

Uhhh, I think it's a girl.

You took the good one...
*Picks random Gen V Pokemon*... Escavalier

From what I understand (though not entirely accurate), the "inheritor" (borrower seems to be implied) of Arcades' power guides the world to peace. However, when that falls into the wrong hands, the world will be plunged into darkness. But the power has a price, that statue is apparently Garyuu turned to stone (so that's what Sabin mean by trap in the fighting lifestyle). Rug tries to stop Ryouga, while she had some conversation with Miruto (which I don't understand). Then, Miruto finally admits that she also likes Ryouga. After that, Ryouga is apparently pushed by Arcades' Manager, and challenges him to go through a trial...

Here's a super detailed summary because there's so much going on here that needs to be translated fully:

Chapter 69: "Father and Arcades"

The Compass of Light carries Ryouga and his friends through the sky. Eventually, it leads them to an unexplored land surrounded by mountains. When they land, they look around and see a statue of Ryouga's father Garyuu! Karuta smiles at the idea of Ryouga's father being so great that someone would build a statue to honor him, while Rug thinks that the pose could be better but that it's still a nice statue. Miruto takes a closer look and, after examining it for a while, thinks that it's the real Garyuu they're looking at and that he's just been turned to stone. Ryouga and Rug laugh at such a crazy idea until a young woman appears and tells them that Miruto's assumption is true. Rug wonders if this person is Arcades.

The woman announces that she isn't Arcades; instead, she's his caretaker. After hearing that she's been his caretaker for generations, Yappy asks if she can tell them where Arcades is. She responds by saying that he's right there with them. Rug wonders what she means, saying that only the five of them and the caretaker are there at that moment. Miruto begins to guess that the statue is Arcades, and the caretaker confirms that yes, Garyuu is now the current Arcades. Everyone is shocked.

The caretaker takes this opportunity to look at Ryouga up close. She remembers hearing that Garyuu's son will be coming there to meet Arcades and deduces that he's the "Ryouga" she's heard so much about. Ryouga ignores her and asks what she meant when she said that his father, who's been turned to stone, is now Arcades. She explains that about ten years ago, Garyuu came to get Arcades' power to fight off an evil organization that was terrorizing the world. Miruto guess that she's talking about Fraud and the GG. The caretaker continues, saying that Garyuu would go on to pass the exam required to become Arcades and gain its power. She explains that "Arcades" isn't the name of any one person; instead, it's a name given to someone who inherits the power obtained from the previous Arcades! She explains that many, many people have been "Arcades" throughout time and that some have used its power for good while others have used it for evil. Garyuu used the power he got to return the world to peace but had to pay for it by becoming stone. Miruto remembers hearing Sabin say that there's no coming back after becoming Arcades and wonders if that's what he meant while Yappy is moved by how Ryouga's father sacrificed himself for the good of the world.

Ryouga smiles at how cool his father was and asks the caretaker how he can become Arcades. His friends are all shocked that he'd want to do this after hearing the caretaker's story, but Ryouga says he has no choice. They have no chance of defeating Fraud with the amount of power he's obtained, after all, and believes that becoming the next Arcades is the only way to prevent the GG from destroying the world. Karuta says that being able to defeat Fraud is good and all but worries that he'll turn to stone after he's beaten him. The caretaker takes this opportunity to interrupt and tell Ryouga that becoming the next Arcades is easy; all he has to do is touch the statue of his father. Ryouga begins to walk over but is stopped by Rug. Rug, in turn, is stopped by Miruto. She tells Rug that there's no turning back once Ryouga's set his mind on something and that there's really nothing to do, but Rug doesn't want to accept that. Miruto then admits, with Ryouga standing right there, that she "likes" Ryouga. As tears well up in everyone else's eyes, Ryouga approaches the statue and stretches out his hand.

Suddenly, a staff hits Ryouga hard in the stomach, knocking him away! When he gets up, he sees the caretaker holding a staff and telling him that he has to pass an exam before becoming the next Arcades.

Last edited:
This week on ReBURST, I think we have a dead ringer for "world's goofiest looking Burst".

tumblr_m9g6pkOCvP1r1alb2o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m9g6pkOCvP1r1alb2o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_m9g6pkOCvP1r1alb2o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_m9g6pkOCvP1r1alb2o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_m9g7avxlmH1r1alb2o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m9g7avxlmH1r1alb2o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_lun2s79qsy1qiq3h9o1_500.png

tumblr_m9g7avxlmH1r1alb2o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_m9g7avxlmH1r1alb2o4_1280.jpg

Fraud's father is named Karēdo. (Kared?)

I can't tell if his sister has one.

Baldie's name is Deron.

Looks like we learn a lot about Fraud.

Last edited:
So, the author's trying to make Fraud more sympathetic. Well, at least his backstory did explain why he's that rich. From what I read, Fraud avenged his father by killing(?) Deron, so Deron's son avenged him. (What a coward, his son couldn't do it himself...). I could see the parallelism between him and Halil: avenging his father, sister figure, desire for revenge. Anyways, it does explain the "peaceful world" part, which sounds like he was pursuing some form of ideal. Wait, Ryouga was searching Arcades to know his father's whereabout, so he's seeking truth...

Now, on to the names:
Karēdo:
I got kaleidoscope. Other than that, karei is "magnificent", "good example", "adding to one's years", and "family custom"."Adding to one's years" makes more sense because he's getting old and it contrasts with Fraud's "perennial youth", so I guess "Kareid" or "Kaleid" are also good. And considering he's a bit of a pacifist, "good example" also works...

Deron:
I got nothing

Also, Fraud mentioned 凌駕, which is read as ryouga...

Last edited:
In the Fraud's backstory, Snivy and Oshawott were owned by somebody (Karēdo's friends?). I think Tepig was kept by Carola's family, and evolved into Pignite, and into Emboar before sealed into Burst Hearts. I think one of those Scraggy featured in this backstory would be the same one used by Rukamu, but not yet sealed into Burst Heart yet at that time.

This week on ReBURST, I think we have a dead ringer for "world's goofiest looking Burst".

That goofiest looking Burst warrior is that Crustle Burst Warrior.

In the Fraud's backstory, Snivy and Oshawott were owned by somebody (Karēdo's friends?). I think Tepig was kept by Carola's family, and evolved into Pignite, and into Emboar before sealed into Burst Hearts. I think one of those Scraggy featured in this backstory would be the same one used by Rukamu, but not yet sealed into Burst Heart yet at that time.

....What? Why would those specific Pokemon be the ones that were turned into Burst Hearts?

We may not see Pokemon that much in this series, but it's not like there's only a few of those. Heck, we even saw another Oshawott a few chapters ago.

That goofiest looking Burst warrior is that Crustle Burst Warrior.

.....Yes. That's what I just said.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom