• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Challenge Blanc's Bi-Weekly Art Challenge ▽ɞ

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her

. · ✦▽ blanc's BI-WEEKLY ART CHALLENGE ▽✦ · .

Listen this whole titling thing is kinda hard.

1667985664686.png

Hiya and welcome aboard! Whether you're a beginning artist, a student or anything else, this thread is for defeating art block and letting those creative juices flow! Before we begin, you may be a little confused, my dear passenger, so I'll try to make this as clear as I can!

This is an art prompt thread where I will post a 'challenge' every two weeks. It is not in any way required to finish ANY of the art you do for these prompts. These prompts are provided in the name of practice and honing our skills together in a comfortable little space. You are more than welcome to post in a traditional or digital medium, and as finished a piece as you like-- in other words, if you just do some composition sketches based off the prompt or rough ideas, that's totally fine! I repeat there's zero, zilch, no requirement or expectation in this thread other than your own self-improvement and engaging with other artists here in Bulbagarden. If you really like a piece you did for a prior prompt and want to finish it too, go ahead! Just know that every two weeks the prompts will shift, and you will have to post the finished piece elsewhere on your own time!

Feel free to chat about your pieces as you work, or if you have any questions you wish to ask your fellow artists, this space is open for that as well.
With that out of the way, let me give you a proper rundown of a few guidelines that probably go without saying-- but just in case.​

▽ɞ Don't give others constructive criticism unless they specifically site such in their post!

▽ɞ Remember to properly spoiler and warn of any content/themes within your work. Let's follow those rules the mods have bestowed upon us, okay?

▽ɞ Each prompt is as freeform as you make it, feel free to take the titles, references or studies in any way you see fit. I'm genuinely encouraging you to go nuts as much as I can.

▽ɞ Feel free to post updates to your piece as you go through the two weeks if you wish too!

▽ɞ At the end of every two weeks, I will observe each submitted piece myself and provide my own analysis on the strongest points of your work so you have a little encouragement to push you along on your artistic journey. If you would like me to not do this though, just feel free to mention it somewhere and I'll respect it!

▽ɞ I'll try to keep this thread up as consistently as I can, but sometimes life throws those curveballs on my tracks, so if you notice a prompt hasn't been posted at the appointed date, rule of thumb is that it's an unspoken extension on the previous one until I get back into gear.

So how will it work?

Every two weeks I will give you a prompt title that you may interpret however you wish, and two reference images with appointed studies behind them (a lighting study, figure study, object study, etc) you do not have to follow these or even use the reference images, but they are there for both inspiration and practice to improve your craft. References will be properly sourced.

Let's improve together, passengers!​

• Staff
╔══▲═════════════╗

PROMPT 01 - 11/9/22

TITLE: ROTTEN FRUIT

╚════════════▽═══╝

▽ɞ Feel free to use prompt, reference, both, or interpret the subject matter however you wish.

▽ɞ Figure focus/study
1667987680657.png
(Source)

▽ɞ Lighting focus/study
1667987736641.png
(Source)

▽ɞ Bonus artist study!
1667987939563.png

This prompt's inspiration artist is Charles Edmund Tarbell. Check out some more of his paintings for study here.

Let's draw, passengers!

This is such a good idea for a thread!

I'll get to the lighting studies eventually, but for now, I did some hands and painting.

IMG-8616.jpg

Didn't draw fruit, but I've been meaning to practice hands drawing Pokéballs cause... you know. Pokémon.

Also looking back, that bottom hand isn't the worst. Not the best, but I think it's okay.

IMG-8617.jpg

This one was a bit of a mess rip me. Then again, I used acrylic on sketchbook paper. I really like how bright and soft Tarbell's work is. He also used a lot of shading and lighting of different colors, which is such... good stuff. I need to do that more.

I like designing characters so I've been working on a character based on the rotten fruit. He's not very far along though and I don't know what I want to do with him yet. If anyone has tips to make this better this'd be greatly appreciated.
Some basic concepts for rotten fruit guy.jpg

Rotten Fruit guy but without my notes.jpg

I like designing characters so I've been working on a character based on the rotten fruit. He's not very far along though and I don't know what I want to do with him yet. If anyone has tips to make this better this'd be greatly appreciated.
A little more progress on this has been made, fluffed up the hair more from bottom left and changed up the outfit a little, in addition to extending the rot down to his arm. Most of my work on him has been on the developing who he is front not the actual design though and idk if I should post that here.
Rotten Fruit guy more stuff.jpg

I think I've almost pinned this down? Debating on the weird eye and I did experiment with a different colour scheme but otherwise I think I've about figured out how he'll look
Rotten Fruit Guy Blur.jpg

Rotten Fruit Guy Red.jpg

Rotten fruit guy actual drawing of a thing.jpg
Sorry for spamming here so much

Last edited:
Hiya! Sorry for being two days behind schedule already to update you with reviews and the next prompt— Scarlet and Violet and holidays and traveling and all… ! The next prompt will be posted sometime today, so please look forward to it!

Before then though, please allow me to review everyone’s submissions thus far in the following post. The current prompt, ROTTEN FRUIT, is now closed! Thank you for joining me on this … art train, everyone!

ART REVIEW ▽ɞ
Hello passengers, apologies for the wait! I have no excuse. Well, technically, I do, I was writing an economics paper for my cousin-- and no, I know nothing about economics. Anyways! Thank you to everyone who took part in the art challenge! For this first review, I am only going to provide a textual response! If, in the future, you would like me to fully critique your works and "red-line" (go over your drawings with a red pen) to help you understand techniques and practice, then please, by all means give me the greenlight next time you participate! I didn't want this to be a "critique" exactly right away, especially when I know how nervous art can make us all sometimes. Just keep in mind this is a judgement free zone and we're all here to improve and have fun.

Without further ado...
╔══▲═════════════╗

PROMPT 01 - 11/9/22-11/27/22

TITLE: ROTTEN FRUIT REVIEW

╚════════════▽═══╝

@Torchic W. Pip - A beautiful hand practice, I don't know if this was intentional or not, but you made a very good show of curves moving into straight lines and vice versa with the fingers holding the Pokeball. The angle of the palm and knuckles are very nice too, and it was an excellent choice to harshen your sketch-- it allows it to look polished without taking away the organic feeling that sketching on pencil provides. The second hand is not bad either! You have a knack for fingers and the way to adjust them, the curve of the index and middle finger on the second hand are exceptionally good for the perspective they're angled at. Well done!

Your painting is a nice contrast, and I love the texture on the paint itself-- is that from the paper? Intentional?? I also am genuinely curious how you did the streaks of grass as they don't seem messy, and when they are towards the ends it also creates that nice "organic" feeling. I'd love to see you experiment with painting some more! The acrylic actually meshes really well with the sketch book paper!

@Black_Cat320 - Welcome welcome! We haven't talked before, but I already love the feeling of your art! Can I ask what type of pen you lined this in? I love how this piece is almost monochrome, but you added noticeable hints of muted colors if my eyes aren't playing tricks on me that mirror the theme of rotten, decaying fruit! You probably noticed, but I'm a sucker for drawing "drippy" and "gooey" things, so I'm all about this malicious "face" rotting over the fruit. And I CANNOT ignore the hatching you did, it's such a nice touch of shading that isn't too harsh or distracting from the piece. Being able to do minor shading while still having a piece look finished is a skill I'm very jealous of. Nice worrrrk!

@DawningWinds - Dawning! You were kind enough to grace me with a lot of pretty artworks, so I'll do my best to analyze them carefully! First, the hand practice... Shown strongest in the top left and bottom left hands, you have a fantastic control of the wrist joint at this perspective. Also shown in those two hands is a nice eye for finger joint placement and where the fingers should curve around the berry-- and that CREASE of the joints between the ring finger and pinky in the top left!!! Is insanely eyecatching and nicely done-- good lineweight too!

Next the digital oil painting! Great composition here, it was a stellar choice to have the character not at the center of the canvas, as it allows our eyes to trail over to them in a sense of a scene occurring. I also like the various amber shades you used to create a smog effect-- and their dark colors contrast nicely with that! The tatters in their clothes are nicely spaced, and look natural in their unevenness, this piece definitely tells a story. Is this a character of yours? Something you came up with randomly? I kinda wanna know!

And lastly... the character you made based off the prompt! I was super surprised and excited to see him come to life. So, I first have to admit I'm a huge sucker for what you did with the "corrupted" eye look on him, I used to have a few OCs of my own when I was a teen with very similar markings. You probably already planned this, but maybe the markings have a glow effect, like veins almost? (I hope I'm making sense). I'm also glad you went with that hair style, as it frames his face well and adds to his "princely" look. (I LOVE the last piece of him looking over the balcony, you angled his face in such a nice way that shows subtle attitude and I love it. Also the lashes? wowowowow) If I may suggest a name for him, how about Adam, referencing the garden of Eden and the biting of the apple? I'm a sucker for symbolism too LOL. I love his cravat and waist jacket... I hope to see more of him!!

Thank you again everyone for participating, though I'm a bit behind schedule, I hope you will stay tuned for our next prompt! I'm going to get a few more references together, so feel free to reply or chat until then. It made me happy to see all these... thank you!!

@Black_Cat320 - Welcome welcome! We haven't talked before, but I already love the feeling of your art! Can I ask what type of pen you lined this in? I love how this piece is almost monochrome, but you added noticeable hints of muted colors if my eyes aren't playing tricks on me that mirror the theme of rotten, decaying fruit! You probably noticed, but I'm a sucker for drawing "drippy" and "gooey" things, so I'm all about this malicious "face" rotting over the fruit. And I CANNOT ignore the hatching you did, it's such a nice touch of shading that isn't too harsh or distracting from the piece. Being able to do minor shading while still having a piece look finished is a skill I'm very jealous of. Nice worrrrk!

Thank you for the kind words! ^^ The pen I use to line is actually just something I got from my local Walmart, Prismacolor assorted markers. I'm not a fan of spending too much money on art supplies that I use a lot, get's way too pricey otherwise. And the piece I did is actually totally grayscale, no colors used whatsoever, just variations of warm and cool grays to color. I'm currently in the process of learning to use alcohol markers and I figured grayscale would be best to learn before colors.

I'm also a big fan of "gooey" and "drippy" looking pieces, they're so fun! I thought this piece would be good for that since I wanted to give it the classic "Poisonous apple" vibe. I'm glad you like the hatching, I'm still getting used to it to see if I really like it. I have hit or miss days with the technique so far, either I over do it or get it just right.

Looking forward to the next prompt and thanks for the feedback!

Last edited:
Your painting is a nice contrast, and I love the texture on the paint itself-- is that from the paper? Intentional?? I also am genuinely curious how you did the streaks of grass as they don't seem messy, and when they are towards the ends it also creates that nice "organic" feeling. I'd love to see you experiment with painting some more! The acrylic actually meshes really well with the sketch book paper!
I used a palette knife for the grass. I was worried about ripping the paper, I think. I’m glad it worked out, and I must thank you for the kind words : )

Next the digital oil painting! Great composition here, it was a stellar choice to have the character not at the center of the canvas, as it allows our eyes to trail over to them in a sense of a scene occurring. I also like the various amber shades you used to create a smog effect-- and their dark colors contrast nicely with that! The tatters in their clothes are nicely spaced, and look natural in their unevenness, this piece definitely tells a story. Is this a character of yours? Something you came up with randomly? I kinda wanna know!
Thanks so much! It took me a few tries to figure out the composition for this, so I'm glad to hear you think a landed on a good one! The character here isn't really anyone in particular, no, I did have a half-baked idea of what the story I was trying to tell when making them was but they're not someone I've drawn before or have a developed understanding of. (I've developed them so little I don't even know what they look like from the front.)

And lastly... the character you made based off the prompt! I was super surprised and excited to see him come to life. So, I first have to admit I'm a huge sucker for what you did with the "corrupted" eye look on him, I used to have a few OCs of my own when I was a teen with very similar markings. You probably already planned this, but maybe the markings have a glow effect, like veins almost? (I hope I'm making sense). I'm also glad you went with that hair style, as it frames his face well and adds to his "princely" look. (I LOVE the last piece of him looking over the balcony, you angled his face in such a nice way that shows subtle attitude and I love it. Also the lashes? wowowowow) If I may suggest a name for him, how about Adam, referencing the garden of Eden and the biting of the apple? I'm a sucker for symbolism too LOL. I love his cravat and waist jacket... I hope to see more of him!!
The markings having a glow effect sometimes is something I've considered, yeah, I experimented a little with it but I haven't 100% figured out how to work it. I'm also glad you used the word "princely" to describe his appearance as well, since what I have in mind is that he is a prince so... I'm glad to know that comes across! And Adam is a really good name for him as well, the symbolism there is not something I'd've thought of.

One more time, thanks so much for all your thoughts, and for running this challenge! I had a lot of fun with it and look forward to the next prompt.
(Also, for future prompts, you absolutely have the go-ahead to give me critiques, it's something I definitely think I'd benefit from)

Thank you for the kind words! ^^ The pen I use to line is actually just something I got from my local Walmart, Prismacolor assorted markers. I'm not a fan of spending too much money
I heard prismacolor markers are actually pretty top tier !! I used to spend alll my money on micron pens LMAO. I'm very impressed!!
And the piece I did is actually totally grayscale, no colors used whatsoever, just variations of warm and cool grays to color. I'm currently in the process of learning to use alcohol markers and I figured grayscale would be best to learn before colors.
Oh wow!! Guess it is my eyes playing tricks on me-- which is still a super cool effect given it's monochrome.
One more time, thanks so much for all your thoughts, and for running this challenge! I had a lot of fun with it and look forward to the next prompt.
(Also, for future prompts, you absolutely have the go-ahead to give me critiques, it's something I definitely think I'd benefit from)
I'm soo so happy you are enjoying it! The train is moving slower than I'd like... but it will still have the spirit and proceed calmly! And thank you so much, I'll do my best to help where I can in the future, Dawning!! <3 We'll learn together!!

PROMPT ▽ɞ
╔══▲═════════════╗

PROMPT 02 - 12/3/22

TITLE: CHAOTIC CONCERTO

╚════════════▽═══╝
Yo, passengers! It's that time again, we know the drill! As usual you can make these themes Pokemon themed or not! Whatever strikes your fancy, have fun with it! Sorry for the wait, I had to pick and choose some refs.

▽ɞ Feel free to use prompt, reference, both, or interpret the subject matter however you wish.

▽ɞ Figure focus/study: FIGURE 1
1670054098500.png
(source)

FIGURE 2
1670054348936.png
(source)

FIGURE 3
1670054391219.png
(source)
▽ɞ Environment focus/study: STUDY 1
1670055114641.png
(source)

STUDY 2
katelyn-johnson-hallway-01.jpg
(source)

▽ɞ Lighting and Paint focus/study: STUDY 1
LIGHTING2.png
(source)

STUDY 2
LIGHTING1.png
(source)

Let's draw, passengers!

Please note: The thread is from 6 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom