• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Breeding shinies

PKMN Trainer Austin

PKMN Ranger Austin
Reaction score
one quick question:if you breed a shiny(example:wailord which i have as a shiny)will you get another shiny or just a regular stupid non-shiny pokemon?

I'm fairly positive that you would not get a shiny through breeding. If you could they wouldn't be rare, which is sorta the point.

Yes its impossible to breed shinys. Don't get me wrong, you could technically breed that wailord with a Ditto and if your were crazy lucky you would get a shiny. But the odds are the same for getting one even if the wailord was not a shiny.

Like Guitar Hero said, you can breed shinies, yes. But not from shinies any more than from regular Pokémon. When the egg is received it's determined how the Pokémon will come out, at least in EDP. In GSCRSFRLG, it's determined as it hatches.

I bred a Charmander (which was shiny) from a Dragonite and a Charizard (both not) in Gold. That Charmander's children weren't shiny either, nor were its brothers and sisters.

Don't get me wrong, you could technically breed that wailord with a Ditto and if your were crazy lucky you would get a shiny.

That actually happened to me in my Emerald. I had found a shiny Ditto and wondered if I breeded it, I would get a shiny. I crapped myself when I got a shiny Torchic. I was really lucky.

That actually happened to me in my Emerald. I had found a shiny Ditto and wondered if I breeded it, I would get a shiny. I crapped myself when I got a shiny Torchic. I was really lucky.

See, that's funny because I seem to recall an insanely complicated procedure one could do in the G/S/C generation whereby one could aquire a shiny Ditto and use that to breed shiny babies. (It involved importing the red Gyarados to R/B/Y, teaching him "Mimic", fighting a Ditto, and you're lucky I remember that much. :lol: ) Obviously they changed this in the current generation.

See, that's funny because I seem to recall an insanely complicated procedure one could do in the G/S/C generation whereby one could aquire a shiny Ditto and use that to breed shiny babies.

I remember hearing something about that when GSC was out, that's where I got the idea from. Too bad it only happened once. :p

Actually, breeding a shiny in GSC either increased the chance of getting a shiny or got you a shiny for sure. I can't remember which, but it had something to do with passing on a certain value which determines whether or not it was a shiny. The value that determines it was changed in later games though, so it's not passed on anymore.

XDXDXDXDXD But why do you get a golden magikarp in G/S/C if you breed the red garodos and a regular one???

Last edited:
As I said, the value that determines whether the Pokemon is shiny or not is passed on in G/S/C.

Shinyness was determined by Individual Values (xAAA). As breeding with Ditto reduced all gender-related values in breeding, chances were made better from 1/8192 to 1/64 (1/128 with other shiny father).

I still say blue garydos looks way cooler.......

(I realize this doesn't add anything to the thread, and that red is more powerful, but blue is so often overlooked...)

Shinies were only stronger in G/S/C. Their stats are the same as any normal Pokemon in R/S/FR/LG/E and D/P.

why do you keep on posting in MY threads???

Because it's a public forum and he can post where he damn well pleases.

I've also had someone telling me to breed my shiney Marshtomp for a shiney Mudkip, and I said that it wasn't possible, but they swore it was. Oh well, I'll take established facts over assumptions anyday.

Whoa...hey now, let's all be friendly =)

Sorry if there's bad blood between the two of you...but really, anger never solves anything, in the long run.

Actually, I remember that if you breed ANY shiny in the G/S/C era, it increased the likelihood that the offspring would be shiny.

4poqwbb.png

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom