• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview BW103: "Opening of the Isshu League Higaki Conference!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
If wonder if that downloadable tournament is indicative of when the League will be ending, seeing as January 31st is a Thursday.
I doubt it, as 10 league episodes would be overkill. Besides, the event is going to start almost two weeks after the beginning of the league, so it stands to reason that it will end late, too.

With the eeveelutions are being so heavy advertised i have a feeling that Virgil is going to win the league, we all know the show is mainly being driven by marketing.

I doubt it. He looks completely beatable and I can see his Unova team beating Eevee forms.

Confirmed! According To BulbaNews, the Unova League Battle System could be exactly the same as Indigo Plateau Conference, but this league conference name is still unknown and info and other things as well! And it looks like that Ash, Trip, Stephan, Bianca, Kotetsu and Virgil will all pass the qualifying rounds because it would be ridiculous and stupid to see Ash Vs. Trip in the very first round! Still, there may be 256 trainers, with our 6 main characters all passing to the fifth round! So, Ash and Trip will face off in a Top 16 Round, assumingly! After him, next should be Ash Vs. Virgil or Ash Vs. Kotetsu, the semi-finals either Ash Vs. Virgil or Ash Vs. Kotetsu depending and then Ash will went to finals and he will wait to see will he battle Stephan or Bianca, these will face-off in the 2nd semi-final match! So the last battle should be Ash Vs. Stephan or Ash Vs. Bianca! Mostly likely it would be Ash Vs. Bianca because Bianca will crush Stephan after losing to him twice in a row! All the battles may be 1-1 matches! And as seen on BulbaNews, Ash and Trip will battle in the center stadium, like Ash Vs. Gary in Johto League!

Last edited:
Confirmed! According To BulbaNews, the Unova League Battle System could be exactly the same as Indigo Plateau Conference, but this league conference name is still unknown and info and other things as well! And it looks like that Ash, Trip, Stephan, Bianca, Kotetsu and Virgil will all pass the qualifying rounds because it would be ridiculous and stupid to see Ash Vs. Trip in the very first round!

If this tournament were to be played out exactly like the Indigo League, then it would not make any real difference. In the Indigo League, trainers who got eliminated in any of the four "qualifying" rounds could not advance to the final tournament (Top 16). It was this reason that Gary didn't make it to the Top 16 here, as he lost in the fourth qualifying match. Meanwhile, Trip would be eliminated in what is assumed to be the first round of the Unova League.

Still, there may be 256 trainers, with our 6 main characters all passing to the fifth round! So, Ash and Trip will face off in a Top 16 Round, assumingly!

It is somewhat possible for the writers to just skip to a Top 16 round for Ash vs. Trip, and that all of the other rounds before it are also 1-on-1 battles. As wishful as that type of thinking happens to be, it is much more likely that the writers will eliminate Trip in the first round (Top 128) and just leave it on that note.

After him, next should be Ash Vs. Virgil or Ash Vs. Kotetsu, the semi-finals either Ash Vs. Virgil or Ash Vs. Kotetsu depending and then Ash will went to finals and he will wait to see will he battle Stephan or Bianca, these will face-off in the 2nd semi-final match!

We don't know the order of the battles for the second round. There is speculation going on that because an Emboar will appear in BW104, Ash might battle Bianca in the next round. Bianca will be battling in this episode in addition to the other rivals, and her Emboar is seen here. However, it is equally possible for Bianca to battle somebody else in the second round too.

Last edited:
Unova League Fifth Round- (Center Stadium) (1-1 Battles) (16 Finalists):
Trip, Stephan, Bianca and Kotetsu defeat their opponents and advance to the next round.
8th match of the fifth round (Top 16 Round): Virgil Vs. Ash: Umbreon Vs. Pikachu. Ash and Pikachu are victorious.
Sixth Round (Center Stadium) (1-1 Battles) (8 Finalists):
Trip, Stephan and Bianca defeat their opponents and advance to the semi-finals.
4th match of the sixth round (Top 8 Round) Kotetsu Vs. Ash: Riolu (Lucario) Vs. Pikachu: Ash and Pikachu are victorious.
Seventh Round (Semi-finals) (Final 4):
1st match: Stephan Vs. Bianca: Stephan`s Sawk Vs. Bianca`s Emboar: Stephan and Sawk are victorious.
2nd match: Trip Vs. Ash: Serperior Vs. Pikachu: Ash and Pikachu are victorious.
Finale: Stephan Vs. Ash: Sawk Vs. Pikachu: Ash and Pikachu win!!
New champions! Ash and Pikachu! This will happen rate: 49%.

I am seriously disappointed its looking like it will only be a 1 on 1 with Ash vs. Trip...Trip is the primary(though terrible) rival and while most rivals like Gary and Paul got to have a full 6 on 6 with Ash in the league, the most "important" rivalry of BW only gets what looks like a 1 on 1....

The animation looks great here, I wonder who's the animation director for this episode...Please be Tamagawa.

About the competition itself...I'm looking forward it. No matter who will win or lose, I just wanna see some cool battles!

I do wonder what Bianca gag will get abused. I know Ash will get knocked in the water.

I hope that the previous CoTDs aren't glossed over, and at least two of them become proper rivals in the tournament. I also hope for anything but three-second montages.

It seems that Riolu, Eevee and the Eeveelutions are going to be the only non-Unova Pokémon in the league. Ash should really leave Unova after this is all over so that old Pokémon can become common again.

It's way too early to assume that. The league hasn't even started yet.

It's way too early to assume that. The league hasn't even started yet.
By that logic it is way too early to assume that Ash is going to defeat Bianca in the second episode. We've seen previews that only show Unova Pokémon and COTDs from the first season of Best Wishes, where old Pokémon were taboo. With the exception of Virgil and to a lesser extent Kotetsu, it doesn't seem that the league is going to be all that different than the Junior Cup, where Piplup, Mamoswine and Dragonite were the only old Pokémon used.

There is no real in universe reason (marketing does not count) for him to use his Unova pokes when he has better options for all of them save Krookodile. Sure you can decide to be cheap and attract everything but why bother when you can straight up KO them with a sceptile? No point in using a scraggy when you have an Infernape stored at oak's. It's one thing to use a new regional team but it just seems stupid to deliberately not use the best pokemon you have to win a league.

In my opinion Ash should only use the pokes that helped him get to the league, aka the ones he used to get his badges. This is their reward for all their hard work. To use them to get all his badges and then dump them later for better options when the league rolls around just seems cruel and unfair. Ash has 9 Unova captures, and judging from the opening it would seem like they are the only ones being used in this league. Save his oaked pokemon for whatever comes after the league. As much as I want to see the likes of Sceptile, Infernape or Gible, id rather they didn't steal screen time away from those who helped ash get to this point.

Last edited:
On this subject, I'm surprised no-one pointed this out.

Kanto-Ash uses only Kanto mons

Johto- Ash uses Kanto and Johto mons

Hoenn-Ash uses only Hoenn mons

Sinnoh-Ash uses mons from all 4 regions

Unova-

Both this fact and the Gen V Pokémon only (with exceptions for marketing) swing that the season has been taking lead up to the conclusion that Ash will only use Gen V Pokémon here. We'd all like to see Infernape wiping the whole of Bianca's team, but it's not going to happen.

I'm actually hoping that Ash says hi to some of the COTD's again.

Partially because I wanna see Scraggy meet Gothita again.

I don't think we get to see much of the opening ceremony again. The Smash preview has Satoshi jumping up in excitement with fire in the background, then it cuts to the flame lighting up at the stadium.

Huh, I have to agree that it seems like series went by pretty fast... Maybe I just enjoyed it more, though - Cilan's commentary on everything does make the show a little more interesting compared to AG and DP where Ash and his travelling companions have a smaller vocabulary.

Also, I wonder what they'll do after the Isshu League is over? Sinnoh league was only 32 episodes and it wouldn't make sense for them to stop BW at E~140. Will they have another arc? I couldn't really see a new generation starting by then, since BW2 was just released any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom