• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Canadian Parliament in Lockdown

Not just parliament. Most of downtown Ottawa is in lockdown. I'm outside the perimeter, but it's a bit of a stressful situation.

What is known:
-There was a shooting on parliament hill where parliamen is (appropriately enough) and at the war memorial.
-A soldier guarding the war memorial was hit and later died from his injuries
-One shooter was shot and killed ; another one is reportedly still at large.
-Downtown Ottawa is under lockdown, including the US Embassy, City Hall, University of Ottawa and Sparks Street (the pedestrial mall).
-Canadian prime minister and other party leaders are safe; PM was evacuated.
-At least two distinct attacks, one on parliament itself and one at the war memorial

Last edited:
Is there only one other shooter? According to the source I read there may be more.

Beat me if I know. All I know is I'm locked inside in my part of town.

Really scary stuff (I have a lot of similar memories from when I was locked down during the Boston Marathon bombings and the resulting manhunt). Stay safe Figgy (and everyone else in the affected area).

I've heard reports that it's one more shooter, but those are just reports.

Newspapers now talking about accomplices plural on the run.

Getting some information in, he has been identified as Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, he was born in 1982, and was a recent convert to Islam, ISIS has properted posted a picture on their twitter feed of him. He was considered a high risk traveler, and there is no idea what the motive could be yet, although considering ISIS is involved in distributing the photo one might suspect terrorism. A possible coincidence, or a motive, is that this apparently comes the same day that Malala Yousafaz was scheduled to be given honorary Canadian citizenship. She is the young woman who won the Nobel Peace Prize recently, and has been a target of the Taliban.

The information for this comes from CBS Evening News

https://twitter.com/CBSEveningNews/status/525013278343581696

CBS Boston Managing Editor

https://twitter.com/PetesWire/status/525031253893201920

The Screen Grab from ISIL's twitter account of the alleged shooter

https://twitter.com/stephen_taylor/status/525028731916922881

Last edited:
It's really shocking to me because I thought Canada was one of the safest places in the Americas and being attacked by this group of crooks, it seems whatever they are trying to do won't work because it would only cause more hate to the religion they supposedly and apparently belong to. I hope they catch the perpetrators of this criminal act against the Canadian people.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom