• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Cries vs. Names

Oh look a 16 year old thread (and now it’s old enough to drive), thanks Camille for reviving it
In all seriousness, I’m used to them saying their names but I also like the cries so I’m just indecisive again on which one I like lol

Well, some of my favorites are the ones that don't say their names in the anime, like Charizard and Ampharos, so I guess that says something.
Charizard practically says it's Japanese name "Lizardon" if you listen pretty closely, though Granted it's hard to notice

Well I grew up with the anime. I am accustomed to the voice which I, being a critic here, think could have been dubbed a hell of lot better. Some sound like bullshit, I was angry that they changed Riolu's voice. Upsetting, I love Riolu.

I'm on team names here. Yes, it's silly. Yes, it doesn't make all that much sense. Yes, it's blatantly a way to ensure everyone remembers the names of each Pokemon But Pokemon using syllables of their name to verbalize is really iconic and creates opportunities for comedy through puns. So keep wearing out those names, Pokemon!

Cries. Been accustomed to listening to their cries in-games and while hearing Pokemon saying their names in the anime be dope sometimes (Beheeyems just popped into my head), I just like the character their cries give so yeeee.

Am I allowed to say 'I like both'?

Like I prefer the cries for the games (although I liked how Pikachu [and then later Eevee, although I never played any of the games with voiced Eevee, outside of Masters] started being voiced in the games, disappointed they got rid of that for them instead of just, IDK, having that be an option for people if they wanted to use the anime voice for those two or the game cries?) but I just can't really imagine the anime without (most) of the Pokémon saying their names.

And I genuinely do like both options, I just think they fit in their own contexts.

Back
Top Bottom