• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

(Discussion) Writing Traditions

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
When you are writing, what are some things (or items) that you feel you have to have in order to write?

For me, my tradition is to have some kind of music on while I'm working--this way I can imagine what could be happening as the song plays (if it is an instrumental); or imagine which character(s) could be singing the song (if it has vocals)

Last edited:
i play music also, real battle heavy music when writing my Pokemon Fanfics. only becuase it helps me imagine better battles then "Tackle... Tackle... Tackle..." ya i know anyway i also have to be alone so if you asked me to write a poem infront of you i would break down xD but ya Music and being alone.

I write better wearing Gothic Lolita clothes, for some reason.

Also I like playing music.

I like to play music, but I also like to daydream while I'm writing the story to help me better nail the image into my head. Also, I like to do research while I'm writing to make sure everything is down pat (like for the Japanese schools or how the character would act).

Other than that, there's nothing more that I do.

Daydreaming works best. And sometimes, when I go over the days past, I get occasions and happenings that I can pinch and tailor into the story.

OK...basically what the above have said; being alone, daydreaming, music... Also, if there's too much light, I can't work properly for some reason. As an extension of being alone-I'm incredibly protective of my work. If someone comes in, I'll turn off my monitor rather than let them read over my shoulder.

I tend to plot things out when away from the computer, then pound out a ton of words at once.

Plot happens in my head, way ahead of time. Then I try to find some music to fit what I'm writing, which at the moment (I'm writing now) happens to be My Chemical Romance, because of who I'm writing for. Then I sit down, concentrate (most of the time...) and write.

I need it to be silent. Usually I love having music but for writing silence I find is key.
Also, I need to be alone.
A good drink doesn't hurt either. ^_^

^I also need music and i also need my special pen and my baret

Generally, I listen to music while I write.

I like to listen to music. Anything that I like will do really. Also, I get most of the planning done away from the computer and I'll write stuff down in a notebook or something.

One thing that I do is I don't write in order even if I have the entire plot planned out. Instead, I just write whatever comes to me, and then piece each part together gradually.

Music. There HAS to Beatles when i'm writing, I always seem to write more if Lady Madonna or Paperback writer is on. Either taking a walk in the back or riding my bike seems to make my creativity flow too.

I plot out this big, complex plot in my head (for multi-chaptered stories) and write as I go, trying to balance dialogue and narration as well as possible as it's one of my current weak points.

Music helps too. Usually music that reminds me of the story in some way.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom