• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you like it when the writers break their own "rules" for the anime?

I'm not even sure why people assume that people capturing legendaries would upset the balance of nature. It was only depected a grand total of once, a single movie.

Besides, it's not like every legendary pokémon have immense godlike powers at their disposal. They have an influence, but even their influence has a limit.

Anyway, I find it somewhat believeable that the Regis could be controled by a human because Golems are manmade and it's been suggested that the Regis were created by humans themselves.

I also kind of like it that the writers have broke the "no female rivals" trend, even though they were probably never against that. Prior to Zoey there was just Solidad, but she was essentially only a league rival.

Too bad Zoey has become so boring as her appearances went on, I was actually a lot more excited about her in her debut ep than I am now. Now I feel rather "meh" about her and it seems like the bulk of the fandom feels the same way.

Something else I'd like to see "broken" is Ash always losing to the league rival. Every league he loses to some new character out of nowhere; Richie, Harrison, Tyson are characters who only exist so Ash doesn't win.

Hopefully in the Sinnoh league they don't do that, and simply have Ash and Paul in the finals.

The sad thing is Ash could probably have beaten all three of them, its just by the writers hands of extending the show that he keeps losing.

Who's to say there won't be some other -son guy in the Sinnoh League? I think Ash will face Paul and his new -son friend in the league, and maybe this one wil be a girl. Besides the kind of messed up Kanto League, Ash has always faced 2 people, a rival and then lose to a not-as-connected friend just who was just recently met.

The rules spoken of aren't so much rules, but conventions the story has followed for a while. And hey, they haven't broken ALL of "them" yet...

Ash still hasn't met Giovanni *crosses Diamondshipper fingers*

If that's not a major rule/story convention, I dunno what IS.

The rules spoken of aren't so much rules, but conventions the story has followed for a while. And hey, they haven't broken ALL of "them" yet...

Ash still hasn't met Giovanni *crosses Diamondshipper fingers*

If that's not a major rule/story convention, I dunno what IS.

Actually, he has, in the "Mewtwo Returns" special.

They didn't "meet". I'm sick of people saying that. They have no dialogue (Ash is too busy saving Mewtwo) and at best, they saw each other. (And with the memory wipe, he forgot if he DID see Ash, so it doesn't count.) Brock and Misty, yes. Ash, big no.

It was no more "meeting" than if you were to see your first cousin twice removed in the next two checkout lines over at Wal-Mart.

They didn't make Richie/Harrison/Tyson just because they wanted Ash to lose (and Morrison actually lost to Ash)
It's more interesting to see the main characters battle other characters that they know and not random characters (this is exactly why the Hoenn contests had a lot of one shot coordinators and why BF overused Harley and why DP seems to only use the rivals and no one shots... and it's also why they skip random trainer battles even if they're important like Dawn's first contest battle)

Imagine if Ash lost Kanto/Johto/Hoenn to random characters he (and us) didn't know except of Richie/Harrison/Tyson... what would be more interesting? and which battle did you like better- Ash/Morrison or Ash/random-Tropius-trainer?
And even if Ash will win this league they might still make him find a new friend once he gets to the league and beat him or maybe not battle him at all
But since DP seems to focus on the rivals as I said they might not make such characters again... Ash already has two recurring rivals (Paul and Nando) and Dawn has FOUR (Jessie, Nando, Zoey, Kenny) and Fantina might be a fifth recurring rival for Dawn since they said she's on a journey and obviously this journey is contests (and she can add to the whole gyms/contests thing)

It's really interesting how they insist on having a lot of rivals this time
I remember when DP8 aired I said Minnie (that's her name?) might be a recurring rival for Ash... but I guess it's too much time since than to think she'll appear again (but maybe she might have a chance... Nando returned after 32 episodes and Kenny after 33 and we know they'd love Scizor in the league)
Also I think Atsuo (the Probopass trainer) is also collecting badges and he and Ash did seem to get along well...
If I'm not wrong Minnie and Atsuo are the only ones other than Ash/Paul/Nando that said they're collecting badges

Last edited:
Were the tag battle partners going for Gym badges too, did they say?

Were the tag battle partners going for Gym badges too, did they say?

I don't think so
If I remember correct Honoka and Kouhei didn't say what their goal is
And I don't think they mentioned gyms until the last scene where Kouhei says the next gym is in Veilstone than Ash says to Chimchar "let's do our best in the next gym" or something like that (which he said to Buizel too after the trade so we can be sure on Chimchar and Buizel for next gym just like he promised to Staravia to use it the second gym and did so)

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom