• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you nickname your Pokémon?

Do you nickname your Pokémon?

• Total voters
I would if I had more creativity, but I don't. I don't mind going my species names tho.
Here's a few I've done before:
Bath toys the Blastiose
Fire truck the shiny Gyrados
Navy SEAL the Primarina
They were all for a competitive Pokemon tournament I entered and I'm surprised I got that many good nicknames.

Yes! I didn't always do that (not with my first games) but now especially with the vast amount of OCs I create for Pokemon I give them nicknames. The nicknames reflect the personality of my OCs (like my trainersona nicknamed hers after succulents/cacti as I love those type of plants).

Yes. I didn't when I first started. It's actually a funny story. I didn't use nicknames on my playthrough of Pokemon Crystal but when I started playing through Pokemon Gold (both of these on emulator), I decided to nickname my Pokemon. I learned about the Eevee in Goldenrod a little late, so I decided to get it in both my Gold and Crystal games. I thought I was playing my Gold file when I named my Eevee Eray (no idea why I named it this), but I was actually on Crystal. The name ended up sticking and eventually I named my other Pokemon on Crystal.

I usually give my Pokemon interesting names that either suit them or are just cool-sounding. Except if I'm naming a legendary Pokemon. Unless I am using it on my main team, I give my legendaries the goofiest names. I have things like a Virizion named Verizon, a Ho-oh named FrenchFryTail, a Zygarde named FeelsBadMan. I don't care if they're super strong Pokemon with legendary and mythical status, if I wanna name my Galarian Zapdos Excalibirb I will.

I usually give my Pokemon interesting names that either suit them or are just cool-sounding. Except if I'm naming a legendary Pokemon. Unless I am using it on my main team, I give my legendaries the goofiest names. I have things like a Virizion named Verizon, a Ho-oh named FrenchFryTail, a Zygarde named FeelsBadMan. I don't care if they're super strong Pokemon with legendary and mythical status, if I wanna name my Galarian Zapdos Excalibirb I will.
I like that. Sometimes I'll turn my nicknames into humorous references. For example, I've had a Durant named "Kevin", an Eiscue named "Geno", and an Emolga and Drilbur named "Agent 000" and "Morocco", respectively.

I usually don't unless it's something like a shiny, then I try to nickname them.

Though sometimes I get a theme idea for my team and go with that. For example, I'm doing a steel monotype run and all members except one are named after metals (plus Hydrogen the Popplio since I had to pick a starter).

Absolutely! I don't typically name Pokemon I catch to complete the dex. but usually my in-game team +/- a few reserves in the box get nicknames. I tend to pick names based on a specific theme (food if I'm lazy, Phoenician mythological beasts if I'm in the mood for that) and then stick to that theme for the rest of the game. My most recent play-through of Shield is appropriately Super Sentai themed thanks to the tokustatsu-vibe of dynamaxing. :LOL: It's fun!

I never used to, I can't believe I didn't for so long because I bonded so much more with them when I did- Now if I plan on using a Pokemon, or one stands out to me for any reason I will name them! :bulbaLove:

Absolutely! Been nicknaming them ever since I first got into Pokemon games! I do so because nicknaming them makes them feel like the Pokemon I catch are truly mine, and not someone else's.

bea4152edcac89ecdde3a55a175a59553991d8b5dff013677bae68b256c00da5_1.jpg

I usually try to give nicknames to my main party Pokémon. For practical reasons (to distinguish Pokémon I'm training or breeding from extras in the PC) as well as naming them for (or after) some of my roleplaying characters. Any unnamed Pokes in my boxes are almost always the ones I don't plan on keeping.

I love naming my Pokemon! It feels more natural than just calling an animal by it's species name... Like, imagine calling your cat "Cat."
(Side note, I've also found it odd, from that same standpoint, that Pokemon species names are capitalized)

Anyway, I don't usually use any kind of theme for my names, but occasionally I have. In Sun my team's names were all related to music in some way, probably my favorite name theme. In Ultra Sun my pokemon were all named after Zelda characters lol

When I do a Nuzlocke, I always use a random name generator for the Pokemon I catch. It somehow makes it really fun. Gives them their own personality. Also, when I did this in White 2, in the 2 parts of the desert, I caught a Sandshrew and a Maractus. The coincidence is crazy, but the name generator gave them the names "Ebbe" and "Flo." Like, what are the chances??

Sometimes, I give them nicknames, I remember naming an Umbreon Eclipse, a Golduck Kappa, and a male Garchomp Garcia.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom