• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Galar Regional Variants aka Galarian Forms

Do You think We'll see Galar Regional Varients of Past Pokemon and would you want them

• Total voters
I think it’s fair to not like the UBs or any Pokémon, and as you said, it’s something pretty subjective. I was just interested in @Oriden’s reasoning because it doesn’t seem related to the appearance of them.
Actually, PocketMonster summed it up pretty well-
I think UBs would have been better without having the ability to catch them. Just make them OP boss battles. Like I get we already have "alien" pokemon and other worldly pokemon but these just seem so out there.

Just me. I really don't care for the concept of UBs as they did them. I am perfectly fine for them to always and foever only be an Alola thing. Same with Z-moves.
I mean I don't love any of their designs either but it felt like a great opportunity for some awesome non-pokemon boss battles and then they flipped it and went "Oh nevermind, they're actually still pokemon!" so like... great, so they're just a bunch of legendaries but uglier. Thanks GameFreak, just what I always wanted. Especially in a game that already had a ton of normal legendaries to begin with. GG.

So if they added a Growlithe, then a Torkoal evolution is possible?
??? What is this logic?

The Eviolite theory is slightly confusing to me but I will have to look into more. As for the Corsola thing it was a matter of thinking about rival Pokemon and so far 1 is in without the other. An easy mistake to assume a rivalry means both get in. I think Corsola getting an evolution makes sense due to it's low stats and like some variants they find a new way to adapt. In this case speculation on battle could be 1 reason why. Your right though it's easy to speculate that 1 Pokemon might get a free pass just because another is already in, it makes sense but it does not mean it can happen. I think when I say a possibility it's more of a speculation thought.

For me this topic seems a bit of speculation but applying logic is necessary, so I am happy to see debates like this.

Still though I am still trying to grasp the concept of this Eviolite theory so that I can try my best to think better.

Last edited:
The Eviolite theory is slightly confusing to me but I will have to look into more. As for the Corsola thing it was a matter of thinking about rival Pokemon and so far 1 is in without the other. An easy mistake to assume a rivalry means both get in. I think Corsola getting an evolution makes sense due to it's low stats and like some variants they find a new way to adapt. In this case speculation on battle could be 1 reason why. Your right though it's easy to speculate that 1 Pokemon might get a free pass just because another is already in, it makes sense but it does not mean it can happen. I think when I say a possibility it's more of a speculation thought.

Still though I am still trying to grasp the concept of this Eviolite theory so that I can try my best to think better.
The Eviolite theory is that, due to GameFreak trying to preserve continuity as much as they can, pokemon are no longer receiving normal cross-gen evos because of how Eviolite doesn't work on pokemon that can't evolve. So, for example, because it did not work on Linoone in the past, regular Linoone cannot receive a new evolution without breaking the continuity that Eviolite does not work on regular Linoone.

For me this topic seems a bit of speculation but applying logic is necessary, so I am happy to see debates like this.

Here's a quote from Serebii:

Evolutions of Galarian Form Pokémon seems to me to be the only way they could get past the Eviolite conundrum, and it looks like they did it well. I'm very psyched to see what other Galar Evolutions there are.

And what is the Eviolite conundrum? --->

Basically, the Eviolite Conundrum is where the Eviolite doesn't work on a current Pokémon and so, for consistency, would have to not work on it still. The other option would have been scrapping the Eviolite.

-

As far as Corsola getting an evo because it has low stats, unfortunately Corsola already got a stat boost.

What does Growlithe have to do with Torkoal?
So as far as what does Mareanie have to do with Corola's evolution is possible, as much as Growlithe's existence has to do with Torkoal's evolution is possible?

Well, it was a bad example. Mareanie was a pokemon introduced after Corsola, but Growlithe wasn't a pokemon introduced after Torkoal. So I could have made my analogy better.

And I think the last piece of missing information here to connect the ideas is, the Eviolite was introduced in Gen 5. Which is after Gen 4.

So in Gen 4, when they gave Magmar and Electabuzz an evolution, there was no contradiction, because the Eviolite wasn't around. But it came in Gen 5. Then Eevee got a new evolution in Gen 6. That that didn't apply, no contradiction. They could give pokemon like Lampent a new branched evolution and it still wouldn't contradict.

So as far as what does Mareanie have to do with Corola's evolution is possible, as much as Growlithe's existence has to do with Torkoal's evolution is possible?

Well, it was a bad example. Mareanie was a pokemon introduced after Corsola, but Growlithe wasn't a pokemon introduced after Torkoal. So I could have made my analogy better.
...wow you're missing a huge point- the presence of Mareanie/Toxapex in Galar means that Corsola might also be in Galar because they feed on Corsola. That's why them being in Galar infers an opening for a possible evolution/regional variant for Corsola.

There's no connection between Growlithe and Torkoal, so Growlithe being in Galar has nothing to do with whether or not Torkoal might be.

I thought those small stat bonuses they added to some Pokemon were nice but I don't think it did much to them. Myself I would not count those that got a small stat increase quite out for a new evolution if they have like 400 or so overall stats, but it depends how Gamefreak want to do. Depends on if they want to give some creative ideas/designs or are they looking at weaker Pokemon are giving them a new evolution, I have a feeling it could be a mix of new design and battle prowess. For now though since there is so little in evidence to suggest any pattern I will admit what I say is rather off in thinking and down to speculation.

I did not mean to cause such a bad debate, I thought about the rival Pokemon but when it comes down to it 1 can have a life without the other. Forms tend to be extreme but they exist down to some battle adjustment or an environment adjustment. I think the main thing is I am rather too open in speculation when we have little to go by.

...wow you're missing a huge point- the presence of Mareanie/Toxapex in Galar means that Corsola might also be in Galar because they feed on Corsola. That's why them being in Galar infers an opening for a possible evolution/regional variant for Corsola.

There's no connection between Growlithe and Torkoal, so Growlithe being in Galar has nothing to do with whether or not Torkoal might be.
Corsola got a stat boost in Gen 7, the same Gen that Mareanie/Toxapex came in.

A +30 bst, pretty impressive.

So, whatever happened to it, already happened. Still don't think this can override an Eviolite theory, but yes, I don't always come up with the best examples.

But now that I continue to think about it, Heatmor preys on Durant, and has a type advantage, but I was thinking of using pokemon of the same element in my examples so I didn't use this 1.

Corsola got a stat boost in Gen 7, the same Gen that Mareanie/Toxapex came in.

A +30 bst, pretty impressive.

So, whatever happened to it, already happened. Still don't think this can override an Eviolite theory, but yes, I don't always come up with the best examples.

But now that I continue to think about it, Heatmor preys on Durant, and has a type advantage, but I was thinking of using pokemon of the same element in my examples so I didn't use this 1.
...you're still missing the point- Toxapex was confirmed to be in Galar but Corsola has not been seen yet. Since there is a solid in-game connection between the two, in that Toxapex appears where Corsola appear because it feeds on them, there is a chance that Corsola may also be in Galar. Since Corsola might be in Galar but has yet to be seen, it might receive a regional variant. If it receives a regional variant, it might receive a regional evolution. Regional evolutions, as we have established, circumvent the Eviolite Conundrum by giving new evolutions to an alternate form.

Honestly, the whole thing with Corsola has absolutely nothing to do with Eviolite or stats.

Also the Eviolite theory has nothing to do with stats.

...you're still missing the point- Toxapex was confirmed to be in Galar but Corsola has not been seen yet. Since there is a solid in-game connection between the two, in that Toxapex appears where Corsola appear because it feeds on them, there is a chance that Corsola may also be in Galar. Since Corsola might be in Galar but has yet to be seen, it might receive a regional variant. If it receives a regional variant, it might receive a regional evolution. Regional evolutions, as we have established, circumvent the Eviolite Conundrum by giving new evolutions to an alternate form.
Why not talk about the things we disagree on?

Honestly, the whole thing with Corsola has absolutely nothing to do with Eviolite or stats.

Also the Eviolite theory has nothing to do with stats.
Probably. But I don't think GF has ever given a regional variant evolution to a pokemon that was given a stat boost, but we'll see.

Why not talk about the things we disagree on?
Because you seem to be horribly misunderstanding it somehow? The Eviolite theory does not apply to regional variants.
Probably. But I don't think GF has ever given a regional variant evolution to a pokemon that was given a stat boost, but we'll see.
What are you even talking about? This is the first time that we have even received regional evolutions! And we have seen exactly one of them so far and there's just a rumor about one other. There's no precedent established here.

For my part, UBs being so bizarre and unusual in design is probably their greatest strength - not only are they fucking avant garde masterpieces but more importantly, they are a clear indication that the art department are willing to push their envelope with a radical idea even though at this point it would be so easy to keep churning out things that fit the usual mold.

I used to think that making them non-catchable was an idea that had merit for making them "more unique," but looking back, but I think the Beast Ball mechanic is a fine compromise, and moreover, they've already got originality and uniqueness in abundance through their designs. And if you couldn't catch them, then you also couldn't interact with them through Refresh or in battle, which is where more of their personality and individuality shines through thanks to their animations and their odd battle styles and move combinations. Although I do wish they didn't all share the Beast Boost ability.

That being said, I'm not really expecting more - they did it for Alola to play on the idea of invasive species. And it was cool, and I think it fit that setting, but I'm more interested in seeing them continue to push into even newer concepts.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom