• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually because GF has promised the 2 heavenly celestial bodies a few weeks prior!
Not that I want to defend some of the odd decisions GF make (how are gym leader rematches not a staple already!?), but every fan likes a certain feature from the past generations, and if they had to put everything the different fans request, the game would be twice as big, and would have to cost twice as much, which would be off putting for the fans, and both sides would lose.

And those sky high fan expectations are supported by GF's overhyping, but not caused by it. Fans expect too much as a general rule.

Last edited:
No they don't it's not the fans that come out promising the biggest most jaw dropping news ever. News so HUUUGE, it'd make Donald Trump proud etc. Then reveal some dull freemium spin off or an event distribution of a non mythical Pokemon or worst of all, a Pokemon we've all known about for over 2 years. And yes I know they don't want to acknowledge the leaks, but they must still be aware of them. Don't hype something as big when you know everyone already knows about it. Even if in your initial plan they wouldn't have known by now.
as said before on the Volcanion announcement: just because you, oh one who searches the internet high and low for any and every scrap of information, didn't find it to be groundbreaking or big news doesn't mean that someone else, such as little Sally from Helena, Montana, didn't find it to be big, groundbreaking news. and ultimately, that's how marketing works. you're there to make your product and announcement seem interesting and important. of course, Volcanion's announcement would underwhelming; we've been through this for nearly twenty years. but would GameFreak be like 'here you go lil pieces of shits yet another mythical Pokemon that you knew was coming. anyways, here's some more Japan-exclusive events'? obviously not.

Last edited:
@Tuoko I like the idea of the Gen 6.5 thing, but only if it doesn't overshadow anything that's to come after it, if that makes sense. As I've mentioned in previous posts though, if they did a Gen 6.5, all I would expect are maybe 18-28 'new' Pokémon, that will be considered native to Kalos (Like you said, in Southern Kalos specifically), no new starters or Legends, just Megas for the actual Kalos starters (Chesnaught, Delphox, Greninja), and the Zygarde forms we already know of. It would round it out enough for me to get excited for.

If the possible Gen 6.5 did happen though, and we do evidently get a new Pokémon revealed for the next movie alongside Volcanion, the people who think Gen 7 is next will go into over-drive, and it would also force the Gen 6 continuation believers, to start believing in Gen 7. THIS is when the "surprising fans" factor comes in, and it is confirmed as a Kalos re-visit with a few new Pokémon (theoretically). That way, everyone is partially satisfied.

Edit: I've also mentioned before that the Kalos map (the in-game one), not the one shrouded in clouds lol, looks like it could easily push into Belgium in the top right corner. They could either have that as another part of the Kalos re-visit, along with Southern Kalos. That way it's more "B2W2 fleshed out" as opposed to previous third instalments.
A region next to Kalos for Gen 7 sounds ok to me......... Just keep Zygarde in Kalos though...

So you think they could be leading the Gen 7 crew on? I would love that lol. They reveal a new Pokemon, the Gen 7 lot will obviously wet themselves with delight and shout "Gen 7 confirmed" a few people will even turn up out of the blue we've not really seen before and say "I always thought it would be Gen 6 still but this proves it for me that Gen 7 is indeed next"

Then Masuda is like BAMN, it's Gen 6 still baby! ;)

as said before on the Volcanion announcement: just because you, oh one who trolls the internet for any and every scrap of information, didn't find it to be groundbreaking or big news doesn't mean that someone else, such as little Sally from Helena, Montana, didn't find it to be big, groundbreaking news. and ultimately, that's how marketing works. you're there to make your product and announcement seem interesting and important. of course, Volcanion's announcement would underwhelming; we've been through this for nearly twenty years. but would GameFreak be like 'here you go lil pieces of shits yet another mythical Pokemon that you knew was coming. anyways, here's some more Japan-exclusive events'? obviously not.

So little Sally from Helena can find her way onto the Pokemon website and Serebii but the legend of Bulbapedia is a mystery to her?
Please do not resort to abuse just because we happy to disagree, I am in no way trolling, I have tried to treat you with respect and would like the same applied to me.

And no I expect them to still give Volcanion a reveal, but don't over hype it and make out likes its a bigger deal than it is.

So you think they could be leading the Gen 7 crew on? I would love that lol. They reveal a new Pokemon, the Gen 7 lot will obviously wet themselves with delight and shout "Gen 7 confirmed" a few people will even turn up out of the blue we've not really seen before and say "I always thought it would be Gen 6 still but this proves it for me that Gen 7 is indeed next"

Then Masuda is like BAMN, it's Gen 6 still baby! ;)

Yeah I really do think so at this point in time. Also, I mentioned before that ORAS was possibly their testing ground for adding 'new Pokémon' in the middle of a generation, even if they are just megas and considered forms, not new Pokémon. I would not complain if that is what is happening.
Backwards compatibility should slowly start becoming a thing of the past anyway, XY were relevant for a year, then bamn, ORAS metagame and megas had everyone back on Hoenn hype and Kalos went in the drain. Now they revamp Kalos, add all the megas we got in ORAS too, Zygarde's new forms, and a few (18-28) new Pokémon, we get an awesome Gen 6 finale.

And those sky high fan expectations are supported by GF's overhyping, but not caused by it. Fans expect too much as a general rule.

And I would argue that things like the Volcanion reveal have happened more than enough times by now for there to be no excuse for us not having learned our lesson and adjusted our expectations accordingly. If the Mythical Pokémon are leaked ahead of time and we look at them, then yes, we should know that there will be an official reveal in the future and it will be promoted as if the leaks didn't happen. It's standard practice, and totally fair. That's what we get for opening our presents early.

And I would argue that things like the Volcanion reveal have happened more than enough times by now for there to be no excuse for us not having learned our lesson and adjusted our expectations accordingly. If the Mythical Pokémon are leaked early and we look at them, then yes, we should know that there will be an official reveal in the future and it will be promoted as if the leaks didn't happen. It's standard practice, and totally fair. That's what we get for opening our presents early.
Yes, this. We don't learn from past games.

Game Freak don't plan the way they advertise the games according to what people messing up with the code find early.

Last edited:
I like France, it's a great country but 2 whole generations spent there aka 6 to 8 years would be a bit much. There is no Northern Kalos and Southern Kalos hinted at in games, there is one Kalos. Just as Unova wasn't Western Unova and Eastern Unova despite the addition of the Western side in Black2 White2!

So far we've spent... 2 years, I can see them extending the region if they're uncomfortable with moving onto something else - if the NX is a 3DS successor. I'd imagine they'd want to avoid repeating Generation 5 again.

--

@Jolty94

I'm fine with whatever happens tbh, but it just seems like Generation 7 is being ruled out completely as the next game and people are just going back to the idea of third version(s)/sequel(s)/prequel(s).

I wouldn't really be surprised if next month's announcement is a brand new Pokemon, but yeah, I feel like they'd do that just to confuse people: "Are we going into Generation 6.5 or Generation 7?"

I'd be happy with whatever they do, just as long as we get new Pokemon, be it new species, forms/formes, or Mega Evolutions.

And I would argue that things like the Volcanion reveal have happened more than enough times by now for there to be no excuse for us not having learned our lesson and adjusted our expectations accordingly. If the Mythical Pokémon are leaked ahead of time and we look at them, then yes, we should know that there will be an official reveal in the future and it will be promoted as if the leaks didn't happen. It's standard practice, and totally fair. That's what we get for opening our presents early.

Ok let's take this Present example further because I think it's a really good example. When you opened your presents early and your Mum found out did she promise you a really great present tomorrow and then wrap it back up and hand you the same thing she already saw you open? I wasn't in your house I don't know, but that's certainly not how my Mum did it and I don't think many other parents did either.

So far we've spent... 2 years, I can see them extending the region if they're uncomfortable with moving onto something else - if the NX is a 3DS successor. I'd imagine they'd want to avoid repeating Generation 5 again.

We've spent over 2 years so far, and by September this year (the Gen 7 fans aren;t expecting a gen 7 game until at least September) it will have been 3 years, and I assume Gen 7 would be another full length Gen, we've never had a Gen under 3 years, making a total of 6 years, which was my lower estimate.

Volcanion was without a doubt a big announcement. We weren't technically supposed to know about it, so technivally it was a legit new Pokemon reveal. It's our fault for basically hacking and checking the games' coding to learn this information ahead of time.

Volcanion was without a doubt a big announcement. We weren't technically supposed to know about it, so technivally it was a legit new Pokemon reveal. It's our fault for basically hacking and checking the games' coding to learn this information ahead of time.

The "technically" being the important part of that sentence :p In both instances.

The "technically" being the important part of that sentence :p In both instances.
It's true though.

Can you blame GF for not expecting their fans to hack into their games? From their perspective this was a legit, first official reveal.

Sucks that you spoiled yourself but none of us were supposed to know about Volcanion.

It's true though.

Can you blame GF for not expecting their fans to hack into their games? From their perspective this was a legit, first official reveal.

Sucks that you spoiled yourself but none of us were supposed to know about Volcanion.

First of all you do realise it wasn't me that did the hacking right? I mean you keep directing this at me like I'm the naughty party, I didn't actively seek out leaks, but they are plastered on PokeBeach and even Bulbapedia, rewind to November 2015, say I;m a little kid who hates spoilers looking up Hoopa's moveset, oh wait what's this, Pokemon #721 Volcanion!!!

And of course Game Freak could do a reveal, but they didn't need to build hype for it. Iirc didn't ORAS just randomly appear one day? The Zygarde formes did too I think, not certain though. Couldn't they have done the same with Volcanion. Reveal it, put it up one day, but don't spend a month telling people OMG BIG NEWS BIG NEWS when actually you've got nothing new to bring to the table. Yes you might have hoped it would be new, but the fact is, it's not.

But it is new, that is the whole point.

Volcanion did not officially exist before that reveal.

So little Sally from Helena can find her way onto the Pokemon website and Serebii but the legend of Bulbapedia is a mystery to her?
Please do not resort to abuse just because we happy to disagree, I am in no way trolling, I have tried to treat you with respect and would like the same applied to me.

And no I expect them to still give Volcanion a reveal, but don't over hype it and make out likes its a bigger deal than it is.
believe it or not, there are still people who don't quite know the breadth of internet.

also, we're both wrong on the troll bit; i was not using it to refer to internet troll, but rather similar to something like 'thoroughly pursue,' which i had mistaken as one of its meanings (turns out it just means to sing, but whatever).

Are we still on this? Just because a Pokémon got leaked out doesn't mean that GF\Nintendo will change their marketing plans to appease those who saw it. This is Volcanion's year and soon we'll see his new form that'll give us a true shock along with whatever else they show

--

@Jolty94

I'm fine with whatever happens tbh, but it just seems like Generation 7 is being ruled out completely as the next game and people are just going back to the idea of third version(s)/sequel(s)/prequel(s).

I wouldn't really be surprised if next month's announcement is a brand new Pokemon, but yeah, I feel like they'd do that just to confuse people: "Are we going into Generation 6.5 or Generation 7?"

I'd be happy with whatever they do, just as long as we get new Pokemon, be it new species, forms/formes, or Mega Evolutions.

I'm only backing the idea of a third/sequel/prequel because the clear-cut evidence is there, just being pro-longed on a wider scale due to it being the 20th Anniversary year. The evidence in the background that most people wouldn't pay attention to, like timelines of previous Mythical reveals being a reason for a new gen because Volcanion was revealed in December 2015 ect. Which in that case it's most likely, again, because of the 20th Anniv year 2016. The information we are being given (without playing on quotes from people in the industry), Corocoro stuff, XY&Z the series, ect, is what makes the argument of Gen 6 continuing for at least another game(s), more plausible than 7th gen, for right now. So it's not that it's on the shelf, it's just that this is indeed a thread for the future of Gen 6, and Gen 7 counter-speculation makes it difficult to understand where most people are coming from.

What is likely: Pokemon Z with Complete Zygarde as the mascot. Zygarde to star in movie with Volcanion.
What is very unlikely: X2 and Y2 or any two games for the end of gen 6. Gen 6.5 and gen 7. Volcanion being the only one in movie.

I am sure the vast majority of fans didn't know about Volcanion until his official reveal a few days ago. Whether a small percent of curious fans knew about him, is not a reason to change their marketing strategy for Volcanion.

I am sure the vast majority of fans didn't know about Volcanion until his official reveal a few days ago. Whether a small percent of curious fans knew about him, is not a reason to change their marketing strategy for Volcanion.

Are you kidding it's probably the other way around, where the vast majority knew and a small minority didn't

Are you kidding it's probably the other way around, where the vast majority knew and a small minority didn't
Ok even if most people knew about him, how do you expect them to announce him?

"Hey... there is this new Pokemon that errm... you weren't really meant to know about, but you've prolly learned about him already so... there you go... "

No, they gonna have to act like it really is new and awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom