• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VII confirmed!

And since Legendaries are popular... It'd be dumb for them to not continue making more.
Exactly. The majority of Pokemon fans adore powerful beings of legend. So there are still many concepts to explore of mythology and lore.

I think reusing Lugia and Ho-oh would be cool. It would be different.

I'm on the boat of "recreative" mascots: enough with the same old shtick of "current legends." I'm for Mega Solrock and Lunatone being the mascots, but I'd take (former) Lugia and Ho-oh any day. This is because this is the seventh generation: surely it is time Game Freak spiced things up in terms of traditional "patterns" of Pokemon(ness). I'd like them to break up traditionality...I think they could do this by bringing Lugia and Ho-oh in the picture of Pokemon mascots. I'd rather see Mega Solrock and Lunatone being the mascots (or something like them), but if it's different I like it. Lugia and Ho-oh (again) is different, so I like it.

Tester: Pokemon Go Battles and hints at the future. • /r/TheSilphRoad
Aftwr reading all this, I really want Go's battle system to be a fork of a heavily redesigned battle system for the core series. Not so action focused as this sounds, but something as interactive and different. Maybe not limited to the circular movement around your opponent, as that would make no sense with doubles and triples, but maybe something more freeform as compared to the static battlefield that has ecisted for 20 years now.

Honestly, I wouldn't get your hopes up. The standard pokemon mechanics are tried and true and beloved by the masses. The Pokemon GO mechanics will never be applied to more than spinoffs.

Now, if it's popular enough we may see the birth of a split similar to the 2D/3D splits in Mario and Zelda, but that's pretty unlikely.

I would like to see more tougher Fairy type Pokemon. Just because they are Fairies doesn't mean they should always be fluffy, cute and pink.
I want that too, honestly. The fey were feared for many reasons but mostly because they were nasty little turds. You did not mess with these guys. Most people now think "fairy" and Tinker Bell pops into their heads when that wasn't the case centuries ago. Give us a few more fey with some menace and I will be very happy.

As for the Lugia/Ho-Oh thing: I don't see GF reusing them in Gen VII. Those two are tied to Johto and we're going to a new region. I think GF would be more prone to give us a new pair of mascot Legends because "shiny new area". I could be wrong, though. At this point, anything is possible.

I wouldn't mind the whole idea of them reusing Ho-Oh and Lugia tbh, but it's way more likely that the mascots are brand new Pokémon. Especially since they're being hidden.

They can be mascots if we ever revisit Johto for a brand new generation or whatever, but I doubt that's the case now. I do wonder how they'll be promoted if Gen 2/Johto gets the same treatment as Gen 1/Kanto...

I really hope they don't change battling. The idea of making battles like a mobile game irritates me. Especially if moving the 3DS or using the touch screen agressively is involved. That would basically guarantee my girlfriend could never play a pokemon game again. She has no use of most of her hands due to her muscular dystrophy. It's hard enough to get her into the new pokemon games since they don't do anything different/interesting story wise. I really do not want the time to come where she finally gets excited for a pokemon game again, only for her to be unable to play it because of crappy gimmicks.

I rather have Zygarde as mascots of Sun and Moon than Lugia and Ho-oh. Unlike Ho-oh and Lugia, Zygarde hadn't got a story for itself and I do not believe that it's forms are anime exclusive. However I think Zygarde would be post game in either a new area of the new region or in Kalos if it returns. Lugia and Ho-oh's story is done.

Well I feel at some point going back to old mascots would be cool, build on the lore they already have instead of making new ones that over shine the last ones every generation.

I do hope we get gsc on the eshop though aswell as johto starters with megas, its typholsions turn for a mega :p

Lugia lives in the ocean. Thy ocean tides are controlled by the moon. Ergo, Lugia is about as much connected to the Moon as Ho-Oh is to the Sun, that is to say, only tangentially.
Not really. Ho-Oh somewhat works with sun because it actually is related to rainbows. But Lugia doesn't control the turn of the tide. If anything it is a storm bringer.

Not really. Ho-Oh somewhat works with sun because it actually is related to rainbows. But Lugia doesn't control the turn of the tide. If anything it is a storm bringer.

Some people think the exact reverse. The point is moot however. This wait is killing me because I just realized we've been waiting for so long since the complete Zygarde reveal.

Edit: Perhaps I should eleborate. I've read a lot of opinions on both legendaries, and the other half believes that Lugia is directly related to the moon somehow. And that Ho-Oh has no direct link to the sun just rainbows and everything that is related to them. I think of them as regional exclusive legendaries, with Lugia being slightly different as it has a relation to the Legendary Bird Trio from Kanto in some forms of the media.

Last edited:
What really gets me is how Lugia is Psychic/Flying and not Water/Flying.

New legendaries would be better to use than re-using old ones. I also hope that the Moon legendary is more associated with the moon than the tides, because we have already had Lugia, the guardian of the seas, and Kyogre, the master or king of the seas.

Lugia should be Water/Flying not because of competitive use, but because it's king of the seas and the freakin' Diving Pokémon.

Back
Top Bottom