• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

GTS Japanese Pokemon

i just...sob...MY JAPANESE NICKNAMED MOFERNO EVOLVED AND LOST IT'S JAPANESE NAME!!!WAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!But the trainer is japanese tho!WOOT

i have a Japanese monferno that didn't change its name when it evolved from chimchar.. for all i know its a cuss word or more specifically the Japanese form of "FUCK YOU" >_<

Transliteration

I'm sure someone could translate it if you could type it out (unlikely if you can't read it yourself) or transliterate it.

Here is a chart of the Japanese kana (alphabet):
http://www.manchaca.com/~sradowski/japanese/chart_all.html

Find the symbols in these charts. Find each symbol on the charts (there will be two symbols in each box, similar to the way we have two symbols for each alphabet letter). For example, ひ is in the first chart, and represents the syllable "hi" (hee). Note that there are some slight modifications to it in the chart below that, so a little circle or two dots can change the sound.

For example, I obtained a Glameow named カスタード. This transliterates as Ka Su Ta -- Do, or Kasutaado. Based on the symbols used (the Katakana set), it is probably a foreign word. In this case, I would assume that the original trainer was trying to spell Custard.

(Apologies if my Japanese characters do not show up properly, but they looked right in the preview, so I'll assume they're being processed correctly for now)

I personally don't care whether my Pokemon is Japanese or not. My friends all are amazed when I show them a Pokemon with funny characters for a name, so it's a pro for me.
I haven't seen any Pokemon with inappropriate nicknames, but I did see a lvl 100 Kirlia named Hacked. At least the guy was honest...

I don't mind Japanese Pokemon. Got myself a Japanese Yanma and an Azelf today. :O

Meh, I don't mind the foriegn pokes. I have a Japanese Shinx that I traded for a Machop.

On another note, this is making me wonder what the Japanese players think of getting the English pokes.

In general, Japanese children think that English language and lettering is cool. They probably appreciate it. Or so I would guess.

My favorite is Focus the Slowpoke XD I didn't get him, but it made me laugh as did Chuck Norris the Magikarp XD

We think Japanese lettering is cool and they think our lettering is cool, so it all works out...or most people think Japanese lettering looks cool.

We think Japanese lettering is cool and they think our lettering is cool, so it all works out...or most people think Japanese lettering looks cool.

The main difference is that Japanese children almost all learn a smattering of English in public schools at some point. Usually enough to sound out the characters, at least. American schools don't often offer foreign languages that use non-latin characters, so even if they think the lettering looks cool they can't even begin to imagine how it might be pronounced, let alone what it means. I can't imagine how many pokemon named ピナス or similar must be floating around American schoolyards, and the poor kids don't even get to giggle immaturely at it.

I have a few Japanese pokes but I USUALLY don't want it in Japanese because I can't read if it's a stupidass name or not. I got a Ho-Oh in Japanese but since it has some repeated characters I'll assume it's a correct name.

But my top favorite monsters I do indeed want in Japanese for show.

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom