• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Closed Hey maybe I should do my headcanons here (OUTDATED)

Small little things Winona|Steven|Wallace
Used this list for a writing thing on another forum, and I decided to repost it here!
Winona
  • She’s got this really sweet, innocent smile. The true innocence varies based on context.
  • Depends on the lie. Embarrassed lie? Awkward smile and chuckle. Devious lie? That innocent smile of hers takes on a whole new meaning.
  • Like she’s blowing in the wind… if that makes sense. Bending stuff elegantly.
  • Usually a bit quiet
  • Tapping her fingers on her arms, blushing and hiding her face, pacing (and lots of it)
  • Idk what’s the regular amount of eye contract required in a business setting
  • About arm’s length away
  • Cross her arms, keep them to her side, or clasp her hands together.
  • You can’t hear themmmmmmm
  • Waving
  • Depending on the situation, waving or raising her hand, whistling, or calling their name
Steven
  • Polite smile, usually, with not much thought or emotion behind it. Unless he’s really happy, in which case he’s smiles with an open mouth and all that
  • Making eye contact, stuttering
  • Straight, usually with a hand or two on his hip
  • Quiet for more intimate moments, regular for regular speech
  • Biting nails, playing with his rings, stuttering, losing his temper
  • Eye contact? Is that a rock? No? Why should Steven do it, then?
  • Farrrrrrrrr away
  • Steven fidgets a lot with his hands
  • Click click click click
  • Smile and wave
  • Clears his throat, says “excuse me”, says the person’s name, etc.
Wallace
  • Like a model. He’s done way too much practice doing the “perfect” smile
  • Wallace studied body language (while practicing smiling), so he’s pretty good at hiding his true emotions. That said, get him off guard, and he’ll lose his ability to speak coherently
  • Fricking perfect
  • Sometimes it’s quiet, sometimes it’s loud and dramatic
  • See his tell for lying. Also, when he’s really nervous, he might look like he’s nauseous or dizzy
  • Whenever it’s necessary
  • Depends on how big the crowd is. Few people? Really close. Lots of people? He is hugging the wall.
  • He talks a lot with his hands. Very dramatically. He has to take extra care that he doesn’t accidentally hit someone.
  • Like a metronome
  • Finger guns, waves
  • “Pardon me”, “excuse me”, etc.

Immigration maybe?
Up until recently, Hinode (Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, etc.) was mostly closed off to foreigners, with minor exceptions (Galaxy Expedition Team coming into Hisui, Sootopolis being settled by ancient Mediterranean people and then being used as Hoenn's gate to the rest of the world). Around 140 years or so ago, certain push factors (war and famine in PokéEuropean countries, revolutions in regions of Hinode) and certain push factors (new Hoennese laws, improved shipbuilding) lead to mass immigration to Hoenn. Most people immigrated to Sootopolis, and many then moved what is now Rustboro City, Slateport City, and Lilycove City. Some even began forming boat villages in the Hoenn Sea.

How do Hisuians differ from the others of Hinode?
- Hinodego are originally from modern day Kanto and Johto; Hisuians are native to Sinnoh.

- Hisuians (those descended from the Diamond and Pearl clan) are a minority indigenous group in Hinode. They mostly reside in Sinnoh, though you'll also find a Hisuian diaspora in other parts of the world, particularly Western Europa, Galar, and other parts of Hinode.

- Hisuian towns and communities are still alive and protected by the Sinnohan government, and Hisuian advocacy groups work hard to preserve their culture. They also work to protect Hisuian forms.

Surnames - Johto
Ethan Kanemoto (Japanese, meaning “one who lives near where gold is found”)

Kris Papadaki (Greek, from Παπα papas, meaning ‘priest’, and the patronymic diminutive ending Άκη aki.)

Lyra Kaneshiro (Japanese, from 金 kane, meaning “gold”, and 城 shiro, meaning “castle”)

Silver Argentum (Latin for silver. Silver chose the name to separate himself from Team Rocket, and because latin is badass.)

Falkner Hayabusa (Japanese, from 隼 hayabusa, meaning “peregrine falcon”)

Bugsy Kimura (Japanese, from 木 ki meaning "tree, wood" and 村 mura meaning "town, village")

Whitney Ueda (Japanese, from 上 ue meaning "above, top, upper", and 田 ta meaning "field, rice paddy")

Morty Matsumoto (Japanese, from 松 matsu meaning "pine tree, fir tree" and 本 moto meaning "base, root, origin". Similar to his Japanese name Matsuba.)

Chuck Nakajima (Japanese, from 中 naka meaning "middle" and 島 shima meaning "island". Honestly, I don’t know why I chose this name.)

Jasmine Kaneko (Japanese, from 金 kane meaning "gold, metal, money" and 子 ko meaning "child")

Pryce Yukimura (Japanese, from 雪 yuki meaning "snow" and 村 mura meaning "town, village".)

Clair Ryūjin (See Lance. They’re canonically cousins.)

Will Suzuki (Japanese, from 鈴 suzu meaning "bell" and 木 ki meaning "tree, wood")

Karen Karasu (Japanese, from 烏, meaning “crow/raven”. I don’t think it’s a surname afaik? But Karen chose it to sound badass and to distance herself from her real family name, which is Abe. Also crows are cool.)

Eusine Enomoto (Japanese, from 榎 enoki meaning "hackberry, nettle tree" and 本 moto meaning "base, root, origin". Sometimes I choose surnames based on alliteration alone.)

wow Torchic, I love all these names!!! I don't think Karasu is a name but! that's how new names are created!! I like how you didn't do just Western last names (that'd be boring maybe!!), and not just Japanese ones too!!

I better get started on names for my VN characters too! Name kanji AND place kanji too! Yay!!

wow Torchic, I love all these names!!! I don't think Karasu is a name but! that's how new names are created!!
My reasoning for Karasu as a name was Karen's mindset being like "alliteration and badass words make great replacement names to distance yourself from your awful family". The English equivalent would be changing your last name to "Raven" or "Epic Nightstar" after your family stops being your family for... reasons.

Also Karen is totally gonna convince Will to pass that name onto their kids.

I like how you didn't do just Western last names (that'd be boring maybe!!), and not just Japanese ones too!!
My immigration worldbuilding extends far and wide :enzap:

I better get started on names for my VN characters too! Name kanji AND place kanji too! Yay!!
yeeeeeeeeeeee

Sootopolis info dumping
Got a lot of assorted notes on Sootopolis City and we're gonna see if I can organize them into a coherent something.

So the ancient Sootopolitans come from the Not!Mediterranean region (I call it the Meso region in-universe). The Sootopolitans were traders/merchants and sea goers, unlike most other nearby traders, who were more land-oriented travelers. A long, long, long time ago (most historians agree it was a little time after the Darkest Day and the Kalosian War), Sootopolitans were able to have a monopoly on trading in Hinode through seafaring, as several land trade routes were unavailable due to war/expensive trade routes and policies. Eventually, the Sootopolitans settled in Southern Hinode (present-day Sootopolis City), usually believed to be for religious/economic convenience reasons. Hinode kingdoms were typically wary of foreigners, and the Hoenn Kingdom treated Sootopolis City as a link to foreign traders and... not much else. The relationship between the Hoenn and Sootopolis governments is kind of contentious; sometimes the government wants to ignore them, sometimes they want to take their autonomy, sometimes they want to be friendly with them.

Due to wars in Hoenn, several Sootopolitans left Hoenn and created diaspora communities in other areas (mostly in metropolitan Johto and Kanto). In some cases (ex. Whitestone in Johto), they developed into full on cities.

The outer crater was terraced to support Sootopolis City's agriculture and winemaking culture. Major exports include olives, olive oil, grapes, wine, seafood, and fish. It's common to see windmills and Smoliv.

Sootopolis_Districts.png

Central Sootopolis - The heart of the city and its center of trade, commerce, socialization, etc.
West Sootopolis - City's shopping center.
East Sootopolis - This is where the Pokémon Center is located. That's about it. It's also the safest place in the city.
Cardinal Plaza - Red light district. Also has a lot of clubs and stuff.
Ascent Point - A housing area of little importance. Oh right there's also the fact that the candidates in elections fight to the death over this area then redefine it into even more districts so they can secure the next election. It's the second safest place in the city, but by god is it a bloodbath in city hall.
Ocean's Park - Lots of pretty parks. The south of it is the city's historical gay village.
North Sootopolis - More housing stuff.
Lower Hills - Art center of the city, featuring many of its theaters and museums.
Upper Sootopolis - Where all the rich socialites live and hang out and look down on the other Sootopolitans.

There is a dialect of Chrysosian (Greek) for Sootopolis City. The most notable part of the dialect is its use of loanwords from Hinodego (Japanese).

From theatre to Ocean Park, drag has always been a part of Sootopolitan culture. For many, it's an escape from the city's conservative expectations and norms, a form of self-expression and advocacy, a way to have fun and find friends. Although many use makeup, traditional masks are much more common. These masks—originally used in theatre, now a staple of Sootopolitan festivals—are elaborately decorated by professional mask makers and serve to further emphasize emotions or themes.

Last edited:
Nessa's Water Bottles
Nessa has an entire shelf in her fridge that's just........... water bottles. Always stay hydrated, and always hydrate houseguests.

Also she recycles any and all plastic water bottles.

Nessa has an entire shelf in her fridge that's just........... water bottles. Always stay hydrated, and always hydrate houseguests.

Also she recycles any and all plastic water bottles.
Wait, she doesn't use metal bottles!? That's interesting too, mm I guess they're unwieldy sometimes~ and recycling!!! yay~

Been snooping through this thread and feeling soooooo inspired, Pip! I’d love to see more posts where you answer headcanons to writing prompts like the one last page!!
I should!!!! I do character questions on one of the servers I'm on, and I could probably go back and find some of my answers and look up some whump alphabets to fill out. I'd also be happy to take requests for characters to do with the question prompts on that page ^^

Discord ramblings - Fantina anime analysis
  • Watching the anime and some things:
  • Lots of hand gestures
  • Team Rocket hears she's a Gym Leader and Contest Master and are immediately reminded of Juan (note that Wallace is the Champion at the time of this episode)
  • Becomes a travelling trainer
  • Described as a "multitasker"
  • When Ash pries about the whole "leaving the Gym thing" she ignores him and sips her tea
  • Gives Jessie a Resting Bitch Face when Jessie is harassing her. Then sips her tea and tells them "I'm training now" in contrast to Wallace who does awkward "huh"'s and "eheheheh..." and other stuttering noises
  • On the surface, she seems very confident in herself
  • She wanted to become stronger for every challenger of her gym (cuts to Hearthome City Contest Hall, where she's holding a suitcase)
  • "Studied a lot" to become a top Coordinator (textbook studying? Practice? From my interpretation it sounds like the former, but from the visuals looks like the latter)
  • Mentions luck
  • Gym opened after she proved herself as a Gym Leader
  • Really strong it seems - Doesn't frown a lot, smiles even when cutting people off
  • "Even Gym Leaders are always in training"
  • ALSO WANTS TO DEVELOP A NEW BATTLE STYLE COMBINING ASPECTS OF CONTESTS AND BATTLES
  • Even if she's strong, she's training a lot to be better
    • Doesn't sound like it's about losing? More about bettering herself
  • Doesn't get bothered by the press as much as Wallace. Like in the sense that less people see her. Like in "Our Cup Runneth Over!" Rhonda is trying to hunt down Wallace to get a picture of him relaxing. But Fantina... doesn't have that
  • "When travelling trainers meet on the road, their first words are 'let's battle', and since you... fit that description to a T... I accept your challenge!"
  • In the games Drifblim is very much her ace in Contests
  • Btw her Drifblim's nickname is Loony
  • So maybe Loony is her ace in Contests and Mismagius is for battles
  • WAIT
  • SHE'S KNOWN DRIFLOON SINCE IT WAS A BABY
  • Very important
As a Top Coordinator who is also a Gym Leader, Fantina possesses experiences from different fields and can be quite challenging. Whether competing in Pokémon Contests or facing challengers at the Hearthome Gym, she prioritizes stylish techniques. She also likes to use moves that may inflict status conditions, such as Hypnosis and Psybeam. Fantina has a tendency to break into dance regularly and she is also known for including French words in her sentences, such as "s'il vous plaît". As evidenced by her clothing and demeanor, she has a flamboyant personality. She likes to see that trait in others as well, as shown when she praised Jessilina's performance during the Sinnoh Grand Festival.
Bulbagarden

• But when Ash loses she's got a much softer tone
  • SHE MENTIONS DOING HOMEWORK
  • So maybe paper stuff?
  • I think the implication is that it's related to Contests/battles
  • So maybe an out of country degree for Contests/battles :thonk~2:
  • Might be a localization thing

Last edited:
Discord ramblings - Juan/wallace/Lisia mentor chain
So in doing research (on Juan's relationship with Wallace), Juan refers to himself as "Wallace's master" in the manga. In the games, he says "it is I who taught Wallace everything there is to know about Pokémon."

Wallace calls Juan his "former master" (not directly to him, just talking about him) and calls another old geezer "old master" (ORAS).

There's these lines from Masters too:

"I have a niece named Lisia. She's about the same age as you, <player>. I would love to introduce you two sometime. I feel like she could grow a lot with you as a role model. Hm-hmm... Uh-oh. Am I turning into one of those annoying uncles that butts into everyone's lives? I just want to see you all grow up happily ever after. Is that so bad? My former master, Juan, always doted on me when I was in training. Now that I'm in a similar position, I think I understand the feeling."

This could just be "oh Wallace is mentoring Lisia like Juan mentored Wallace", but I read it as "Juan was incredibly fond of Wallace is an almost familial/parental type of way," but also that could just be the fact that Lisia and Wallace are related.

Discord ramblings - Team Flare scientists
Figured out some sort of epiphany for the Flare people.

Each one is, like, the Kalos Elite Four members, but their best or worst traits amplified.

• Mable/Wikstrom: Loyal to their team/friends to a fault. Mable never questions authority, and if hers is wronged, she will take brutal revenge. Wikstrom fights for his friends. He's very smart, but he's a tad airheaded. He's also very "an eye for an eye" in a literal sense. He knows when to call out his teammates.
  • Bryony/Drasna: Bryony is very smart and friendly, but she's also very passive and easy to manipulate. Because of these traits, the others often use her like a tool to an end. Drasna knows a lot and tries to see the good in everyone, even when they're a terrible person (example: Malva).
  • Aliana/Siebold: Two people driven by emotions. Two people who desire nothing but perfection and validation. Two very angry people. Aliana is more likely to beat someone up. Siebold is more likely to insult someone and say their mother doesn't love them or something.
  • Celosia/Malva: Manipulative. Intelligent. Bastards. Celosia fears other people. She believes everyone else is out to get everyone else and she must rise above all others. Malva, meanwhile, doesn't fear people. She just see them as tools rather than... well, people.

Just for fun - Wallace and Winona asking the other Hoenn Gym Leaders for baby names
Roxanne: Name them after Sootopolitan or Hoennese royalty
Brawly: Roxwy
Wattson: y/n Jr.
Flannery: Flannery Jr.
Norman: I still have the list of names Caroline and I wrote down if you want
Tate and Liza: Tater Tot and Lizzeeeeeeeeee

Discord writing prompts - How do Winona, Steven, and Wallace sleep?
Winona is an early BIRB, waking up at 6. Such has been the case since she was a wittle babie. She tries to go to bed at a reasonable time—23-1, give or take? oh my goodness she sleeps for 5-7 hours how is that reasonable girl please Sometimes sleeps in Aurora's wings. Floofy. She really wishes she could lucid dream so she could make the flying dreams and dreams about being a Swellow the only dreams she has. Side sleeper.

Steven needs a weighted blanket or Aron to sleep. His motto is "fall asleep when you're tired" and as such his sleep schedule is whack. He sometimes sleeps in caves because they're cozy, but nobody seems to know this fact because they shake their heads and say "Steven, you need to sleep in a bed." Well fine. He'll sleep on Metagross. He has dreams about FUCKING BUSINESS SHIT WHAT THE HELL WHY CAN'T HE DREAM ABOUT ROCKS GOD DAMN IT. Back sleeper.

In college, Wallace would CW//Drugs self medicate in part so he could (try to) regulate his sleep schedule. It did not go very well. He still has night terrors and flashback dreams, but he also has dreams about happy things like being a Clamperl or swimming with fishies. He needs to cuddle someone or something when he sleeps—like one of his 50+ pink, yellow, or blue Luvdisc plushies, or Victoria, or Winona, or Steven. He doesn't like being cuddled. Except Steven. Steven can cuddle him. Side sleeper.

Winona/Wallace - Wallace cuddles Winona. They usually face each other.

Winona/Wallace/Steven - Winona sleeps in the middle, and Wallace and Steven cuddle her. Or It's Steven > Wallace > Winona.

Please note: The thread is from 6 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom