• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How do You Laugh?

Cap'n Jack

I will burn my dread!
Reaction score
Okay, this is a weird one, but hear me out.

I love learning about other people's voices and personalities and, indeed, laughs - things that are unique to everyone. In my experience I've found that there are two levels of laughter: the sound people make when they hold in laughter, and the sound people make when they let it all out. These two levels also seem to be unique and people can have combinations of one style in one level with another style in the other level. There are a few things that language does not accommodate terms for, mainly in the realm of sound interpretation like bird calls, musical timbres, etc., laughter being one of them, but I want you guys to try your best and describe to me what you sound like when you laugh on both levels. If you have a recording of it, that's even better. I'll go first.

Okay, so when I'm trying not to make a disturbance, I make a sort of wheezing sound. I'm sure y'all have heard the sort of sound before, it seems to be most common in older people and bigger people, neither of which I really qualify as, but nevertheless, that's what I do. When it's appropriate for me to stop caring about being quiet, my laugh is a short, consistently high-pitched and sometimes embarrassingly loud series of basic "ha-has" interrupted by big inhales. If something is really funny, my throat will start to do what I can only aliken to an amplifier that's had the gain turned up too high and started to clip the signal - what I mean by this is that it starts to get too big for my throat to accommodate and I make a toneless cough-like sound for a little bit before I go back to my regular laugh. I'm certain you've heard it before, it's not as weird (or painful) as it sounds.

And now that I've broken the ice by awkwardly attempted to describe something that doesn't have any terminology to it, how about you? (Recordings would be a lot easier, now that I think about it. :p)

I tend to do this mute-laugh thing. It's like I look like I'm in hysterics, but I'm silent. I don't really know why, but it's a sort of habit.

I have a loud laugh. I'm kinda ashamed to admit this because I've been kind of working on having it sound less...obnoxious (by my own standards), and it hasn't been working all too well. People do tell me that I have quite a giggle though, so at least that helps? xD; I try to giggle more often than laugh but...if something's hilarious, then I can't help myself. u_u

Still determined on working on that loudness, though.

I either have a loud laugh or the quiet (mute) laugh. On the quiet laugh, though, I laugh and "bounce" or something. I dunno the exact term xD

Loud, like this guy:

Ruby_Sapphire_Wattson.png

I giggle a bit, usually a lighthearted or generally quiet giggle. I don't think I'm very loud when I laugh. I used to chuckle a bit, but as I became more feminine as I got older, it became more of a giggle, really... ^^; Also, sometimes I'm mute when laughing, and just put my hand in front of my mouth to signify laughter... xP

my laugh is really loud and scary! sometimes it even sounds like a scream... (*ノωノ) i try to control myself when i laugh because it scares people sometimes

I have a really silent laugh, and sometimes I make snorting noises, and I feel really weird because it sounds really weird when I'm silent and then suddenly a random snorting sound appears.

When I'm hilding it in, I just sort of... vibrate. When I let it out it sounds like I'm just panting.

When I'm trying to hold in my laughter, it sounds very... snorty. Like phlegm's being coughed out, kinda. My actual laugh is high-pitched. Or as described by my boyfriend: "a flurry of high-pitched boisterous ear-splosions." It's very loud and has an alternating sort of rhythm when I'm laughing super hard. I wish I could describe it any better... but sounds are hard to capture via language, especially a laugh. Perhaps a clip later when I'm actually laughing.

I almost always laugh quietly. It's more of a high-pitched "giggle" than anything else. I often have to clear my throat after I laugh too for some reason XP

I very rarely laugh out loud, when I do laugh it's mostly out of a sense of politeness in social situations. I find a lot of things funny, I just laugh inside my head. I suppse my laugh is more of a quiet snigger, like a female Muttley.

I always try to hold my laughing in, but when I don't, it is just awkwardly quiet. Just a normal giggle like laugh, I dunno.

I very rarely laugh out loud, when I do laugh it's mostly out of a sense of politeness in social situations. I find a lot of things funny, I just laugh inside my head. I suppose my laugh is more of a quiet snigger, like a female Muttley.
Same for me. My mom tells me to just "let the laugh out," but that's how I convey that I find something funny in social situations that's not gut-bustingly hilarious. It's funny, but not that funny. :look:

Usually a light giggle or snicker with my hand in front of my mouth, but if it's something just TO DIE FOR, it'll be louder with intervening gasps of "oh my god" that lasts for minutes until I'm crying.
...Been known to happen.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom