• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How would you feel if we got yet another R/B/Y remake?

Although I would prefer Sinnoh remakes any day, it would be game freak's choice to remake whatever game they want but I doubt they would do a second remake of Kanto. One is enough and we got one which is FRLG. Unless the story is modified to include some legendary in the plot, then I don't think the 2nd remake of Kanto would be interesting and not worth playing in my opinion. Kanto already appeared 4 generations in a row, lots of Kanto related stuff in XY and RBY on virtual console. Also, they would have made a gen 6 Kanto game for the anniversary if Kanto was to return.

Considering FRLG are as old as RSE (which got a remake), I could see us getting another Kanto remake/revisit. I know they really want to make Kanto in 3D at some point. Wouldn't surprise me at all. I was actually slightly surprised that wasn't this year's game (thankfully).

My reaction would basically be to just roll my eyes, because I'm oversaturated with Kanto and quite tired of it.

Basically, I agree with Arceus the Dragon. I think we've had more than enough Kanto focus for several years. What with Pokemon GO, revisiting Kanto in HGSS, new megas/Alolan Pokemon... yeah, give something else a chance to shine. And besides that, Kanto isn't really all that interesting of a region. It was the first, and that shows, with its lackluster design and lack of memorability aside from nostalgia. I think HGSS did a good enough job repolishing it and making it more vibrant. The story isn't even that extensive or meaningful, so remaking it for the chance of going through that again isn't worth it in my opinion.

I don't care for another remake of R/B/Y. Getting to explore Kanto 20 years later might be cool, though... However, I agree with others that the focus on Generation I has been waaayyyy too strong. Pokemon GO only having generation I Pokemon is ridiculous. Alolan variations only being Generation I is also irritating (even if the choices and changes have been so excellent I have a hard time complaining).

I don't care for another remake of R/B/Y. Getting to explore Kanto 20 years later might be cool, though... However, I agree with others that the focus on Generation I has been waaayyyy too strong. Pokemon GO only having generation I Pokemon is ridiculous. Alolan variations only being Generation I is also irritating (even if the choices and changes have been so excellent I have a hard time complaining).
This, this, so much this...

Yeah, I have to say, that with the current saturation of Gen I iconography, I am much less open to the idea of revisiting Kanto any time soon. I still think that sequels could be interesting (though I doubt that they will ever happen), but I need some breathing room before I see them.

For as much as I joke about XY "stealing all of Kanto's main plot beats," I didn't actually mind it so much then. With BW having been such a sharp breakaway from the series's roots and traditions (which was great, don't get me wrong), I thought it felt nice to give the older stuff an homage, and to sort of re-embrace it in XY. But now, it's the 20th anniversary, which in my opinion, should spotlight all of the generations, but instead, they continue to write these love letters to Gen I while giving minimal acknowledgement to everybody else... it is kind of tiresome. I get that Gen I is where everything started, and that we wouldn't have this franchise without it. But the other generations have all made very significant contributions to the series as well, and like, if something like the Alola Forms are exclusive to Gen I Pokémon, then that feels less like they have a cool new way to revitalize old Pokémon, and more like they are just trying to make up for Gen I's comparative lack of detail and backstory by letting it encroach on other generations' overall idea space.

Regional variants specifically should be a brilliant feature for the series in the long-term, because now every new region can offer an interesting new take on old Pokémon. But perhaps the worst picture I can envision for the future of the concept is that they don't approach it from a place of "I wonder what Pokémon might have developed differently in this part of the world?", and instead look at it as, "Oh boy, I wonder what Sandshrew and Vulpix and Meowth look like in this region!"

Last edited:
Regional variants specifically should be a brilliant feature for the series in the long-term, because now every new region can offer an interesting new take on old Pokémon. But perhaps the worst picture I can envision for the future of the concept is that they don't approach it from a place of "I wonder what Pokémon might have developed differently in this part of the world?", and instead look at it as, "Oh boy, I wonder what Sandshrew and Vulpix and Meowth look like in this region!"

My fear is more that regional variants will stop with Sun/Moon. It's such a neat feature that makes so much sense it really should have been a thing since Gen II. However, since we're talking about a fictional series and not the real world I can forgive them for not having made them before Sun/Moon. I will not happy with them if the feature up and vanishes post Sun/Moon, though.

We all know GameFreak has a terrible habit of removing major features from new generations/games with the stupidest of explanations. I've never understood why they go and do this. Other franchises certainly have this problem, too. I'm no game programmer, but this kind of stuff isn't rocket science. >.<

I can just see this feature going up in smoke after Sun/Moon. Like trainer customization. Like the day/night system did with R/S/E, etc.

Pokemon GO only having generation I Pokemon is ridiculous.

They've already confirmed that they will begin releasing new generations periodically, as they could only handle generation 1 at the start. Generation 2 is currently slated to be added in December. Though I'm not a huge fan of Go (unless connectivity to SM is really good, like transferring Pokemon), I will admit they are going to make progress if Go isn't completely dead by then.

They've already confirmed that they will begin releasing new generations periodically, as they could only handle generation 1 at the start. Generation 2 is currently slated to be added in December. Though I'm not a huge fan of Go (unless connectivity to SM is really good, like transferring Pokemon), I will admit they are going to make progress if Go isn't completely dead by then.

"They could only handle generation 1"? Pft. I believe that it was more about capturing the nostalgia of people who only care about generation 1 Pokemon. They made a big splash because of this... But that isn't Pokemon anymore.

"They could only handle generation 1"? Pft. I believe that it was more about capturing the nostalgia of people who only care about generation 1 Pokemon.
Considering they have to program encounters for the entire world, handling more than the original 151 probably isn't exactly the best idea to create a coherent experience. Not that the eventual launched game is itself optimal in any way, but putting too much focus on the data won't allow them to polish the gameplay up. Putting all 721+ Pokemon in at once at the level of game this thing is would basically be suicide for the development process.

On the actual topic itself... If I haven't already given my thoughts on it, I'd rather a future Kanto than another remake. We already have the games accessible to play on Virtual Console.

I'd rather a future Kanto than another remake. We already have the games accessible to play on Virtual Console.
I would be fine with this. Just like B2W2. Except however many years later, but even so. Perhaps we could see Blue become a professor and take the place of Oak.

"They could only handle generation 1"? Pft. I believe that it was more about capturing the nostalgia of people who only care about generation 1 Pokemon. They made a big splash because of this... But that isn't Pokemon anymore.

In addition to @TouyaShiro 's comment, I would also like to add that they've had enough problems as it is, with the servers, lag, glitching, etc. There's no way they could handle more than Gen 1 at first. I'm no [insert derogatory term for those who only love G1], but that was the best way to do it. They had to start somewhere, and simply put, the world as a whole recognizes Gen 1 the most, and that's gonna help with sales. Plus, adding generations periodically, as I already stated they have confirmed, helps extend the lifespan and hype for the game. All in all, only having Gen 1 Pokemon at the start was a realistic and smart move, and hating on them for it is just pointless.

Another generation 1 remake would be an interesting idea, but there's the question of length. I'm pretty sure the gen 1 games aren't as long and content heavy as the later games, so I'd prefer if they had something like the relatively lore heavy Delta Episode, possibly one of the best parts of ORAS.

However, White Crow brought up a good point, constantly remaking the same game over and over would make the game start to become dull quickly. I'm sure that FRLG will be enough for anyone who wants a new remake.

Considering that every single generation aside from Gen V introduced less than 151 Pokémon and would thus be logically easier to start with, I agree wholeheartedly with this...

However, White Crow brought up a good point, constantly remaking the same game over and over would make the game start to become dull quickly. I'm sure that FRLG will be enough for anyone who wants a new remake.

It still seems like a very unlikely idea to me, but they could work Johto (and the Sevii Islands if they really needed the extra content) into it. I mean, who's to say that Red didn't explore Johto a bit before settling on Mt. Silver? That would help to breathe some additional content into Red's story, and we wouldn't have to worry about any contradictions with the Johto games' plot because they could just shrug it off as a new universe.

I do worry that this would aggrandize Red a little too much, though, if he were to literally hijack Ethan/Lyra's story. :p

Also if we end up getting Kanto remakes before getting Gen II VCs then I'm gonna flip

Considering that every single generation aside from Gen V introduced less than 151 Pokémon and would thus be logically easier to start with, I agree wholeheartedly with this...

Biggest issue with this is that every other generation after generation 1 builds off of a previous generation in one way or another, so starting out with a later generation add it's own set of issues. That leaves you with Gen V with 156 or Gen 1 with 151. Pick your poison.

Last edited:
@TouyaShiro, @The_Doctor, @Arcalargo I understand your arguments. However, I just can't agree with the idea of releasing a game in 2016 with solely Generation I Pokemon. Other Pokemon spin-off Pokemon games over the span of Generation 2 on have oftentimes not included every Pokemon, but have managed to include a variety of Pokemon from each generation up to the point of their release.

Releasing Generation I only is easy and simple (while picking Pokemon from each generation but not all is not so simple), and panders to a large group of people who stopped caring about Pokemon past Generation I... But is it really right? Is it really the best way to go about celebrating 20 years of Pokemon (a burden that Niantic might have found themselves upon just for releasing the game this year in particular)? I suppose this comes down to opinion. Personally I'm tired of it being Generation I this, Generation I that. Pokemon stopped being just Generation I a very long time ago. Back when I was in elementary school/middle school (depending on JP or US release). lol

I understand your arguments. However, I just can't agree with the idea of releasing a game in 2016 with solely Generation I Pokemon. Other Pokemon spin-off Pokemon games over the span of Generation 2 on have oftentimes not included every Pokemon, but have managed to include a variety of Pokemon from each generation up to the point of their release.
Think about it this way - The scale of the game is both larger and smaller at the same time. A free-to-play version of Pokemon with altered mechanics and a global map where you can choose a team to join, and millions of people around the world accessing this server at the same time - you gotta cut down on something to make sure your game doesn't metaphorically or literally explode down at home base. This is only Niantic Inc.'s third app, and a lot was riding on this project ever since its announcement.
Is it really the best way to go about celebrating 20 years of Pokemon (a burden that Niantic might have found themselves upon just for releasing the game this year in particular)? I suppose this comes down to opinion. Personally I'm tired of it being Generation I this, Generation I that. Pokemon stopped being just Generation I a very long time ago. Back when I was in elementary school/middle school (depending on JP or US release). lol
I'm sure they knew about the anniversary. But don't you think that longevity of the app on a standalone should also be taken into account? Think about Splatoon for example - it started out barebones, but it had constant flowing updates given out over time to increase the game's longevity long past its release date, the last of these updates being relatively recently. Keeping a healthy userbase means you gotta pull people in and keep them there with new stuff to keep them interested, especially for something with as simple mechanics such as this. Starting with the Pokemon which are globally recognised (as The_Doctor has said) is the smart decision for both business and as a starting point for development.

Edit: In terms of other companies who did spinoffs for Pokemon, think about it this way - Spike Chunsoft has been doing Mystery Dungeon for a long time (before the first Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games), Genius Sonority is owned by Nintendo and The Pokemon Company, Jupiter has been doing Picross for a long time (and also did Pokemon Pinball)... There's more examples, I'm sure, but the point is, most of them are either part of something greater, have had experience doing these games in the past or are very closely associated with The Pokemon Company, Game Freak, Creatures, Inc. and Nintendo in general. Niantic isn't quite up there, despite being a spinoff of Google.

I realise that this conversation got derailed a long time ago, but I unfortunately don't know the appropriate threads to move this conversation to. I know there's a section on Pokemon GO itself, and I apologise if that makes me sound lazy, but I'm just unsure of which thread this conversation would be best to continue it in. If anyone could point it out, that would be great!

Really, I dunno how this topic is still going outside of this conversation, so I'll just pitch in with this: Following on from what I'd prefer as a 20-years-later Kanto, Red would be kinda funny to see as a much older character. Same with all those other legacy characters. Maybe the Gyms could have changed, obviously the landscape, and maybe the successors and expies of all the Gym Leaders and the E4 as well as other significant characters to the plot of the original games!

Last edited:
I don't even see the point why we should get another Kanto remake. FRLG seems enough for me and a real sequel will actually help, but it is the [people who only cared for Gen 1] who being too much vocalist and caused the fans of other gens or even Pokemon fans in general started to be doubtful on Pokemon Company and Game Freak's decisions, with Gen 1 getting more and more prominent. Pokemon GO's case is understandable, but for the rest, I see it as a blatant nostalgia bait.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom