• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review HZ014: Fly! Kaiden!!

And there we have it folks, our first catch of the series from Roy as Wattrel joins the team. Great episode with Roy helping it out too, he's such a kind person.

Plenty going on too with Friede using the Terstal phenomenon for the very first time and Spinel luring Liko to him and taking that pendant of hers for himself.

This is my favourite episode so far. So much happened and not a scene was wasted. Friede feeling the need to terrastalize makes Spinel much more threatening, plus the hypnosis trick Spinel pulled on Liko. Amethio, take notes.

Wattrell having a super affectionate side is very cute.

A rather shocking episode to see how easy Spinel took Pendant way easier than Amethio with low down trick of now showing himself to fight Fredie and disguised to get the job done. Also, congratulation of Roy catch his second pokemon, Wattrel by teaching it how to fly. On top of that, got to show how Fredie have Terastal phenomenon without his team member notice or knew all along. Only time will reveal. Now, Liko is on ammesia and probably didn't know her pendant is stolen till she remember. Upcoming episode all the question will be answer and she definitely get it back.

Overall rating: A-

Last edited:
I’m really hoping that they use this attack on Liko and her pendant being successfully stolen from her as a wake up call that encourages her to really get serious on becoming a stronger trainer so that she can protect herself when the others aren’t around since her being a helpless target is gonna get old really fast. And with Roy having now gotten a capture first, they can’t have her falling behind.

Amazing episode! Roy is truly the best character in Horizons by far! Love, love, LOVE HIM! :bulbaLove: Seeing Roy bond with Wattrel and help it learn how to fly was so cute! I love everything about it. The way he made Wattrel a bed of hay to jump on to not be afraid of trying to fly, and then using Ludlow's fishing rod to help it get used to being airborne. Everything was so precious! It was also sweet to see Roy visibly sad once he was walking away and leaving Wattrel behind. I like how he keeps his sadness hidden when he says goodbye, but shows his emotions to the audience. I adore this boy so much!

And of course, I love that Roy actually caught Wattrel in the end. I wasn't sure if he would (at least not in this particular episode), but I'm so glad he did in the end. Wattrel's personality is so adorable. I really hope he'll be used a lot, since, not gonna lie, I really am getting annoyed with Fuecoco. Never been a fan of the easily distracted gluttons pulling off stunts like he did today with the Vespiquen. It'll be nice seeing how Wattrel meshes with Roy. Hopefully he'll be used a lot to help find Liko in the next episode.

And speaking of that, it was nice seeing Liko get some time to herself, though I'm still not happy about this Explorer pendant stealing stuff at all. Hopefully they don't drag this nonsense out for too long, and Liko will get it back in the next episode so they can move on over to Galar. Seeing Terastalization again was nice too, but again, in general, I didn't enjoy Friede and Spinel taking up so much time. Thankfully it wasn't too much though.

Overall, great episode. Roy is the best. 9/10.

A great episode!

I'm very happy that Roy ended up capturing Wattrel. Wattrel seemed to be kind of jerk in the last episode, but he very quickly endeared himself to me in this episode. I love his personality and his bond with Roy is cool. Not to mention that the capture itself was pretty action-packed as far as captures go. Roy should probably learn to start carrying Pokeballs on him, lol. It makes me wonder when Liko will make her first real capture. I'm hoping the Pawmi on the ship ends up with Liko or Roy.

Friede's Charizard being Dark-Tera Type is a surprise. Very convenient that they were up against a Psychic-type enemy. I don't understand why Friede wouldn't tell the group he literally got ambushed and that their ship was being intentionally targeted. He had a habit of keeping details to himself without realizing it earlier on but that seemed to go away pretty quickly.

Spinel manages to swipe the pendant, setting up the next episode. Pretty smart of him to make her forget the pendant entirely. I wonder what else he made her forget going by the preview.

Excited to see Iono next episode!

A great episode!

I'm very happy that Roy ended up capturing Wattrel. Wattrel seemed to be kind of jerk in the last episode, but he very quickly endeared himself to me in this episode. I love his personality and his bond with Roy is cool. Not to mention that the capture itself was pretty action-packed as far as captures go. Roy should probably learn to start carrying Pokeballs on him, lol. It makes me wonder when Liko will make her first real capture. I'm hoping the Pawmi on the ship ends up with Liko or Roy.
I’d say that there’s a good chance for Pawmi to end up going to someone in the main cast since they’ve been giving Pikaclones to major characters ever since Pacharisu. Though it becomes a little iffy because of Nemona having a Pawmo, I guess it would depend on how much of a recurring character she ends up being.

Roy gets a Wattrel (that is bad at flying), and Liko gets hypnotized losing her pendant and memories. One of these two had a much better day than the other. It's pretty random for Friede's Charizard to have a Dark Tera type but it proved convenient this episode. The ship is fixed so once the current crisis is resolved it's time to head to Galar.

While this was a good episode of development for Roy, it’s kinda starting to present a bit of a peeve for me with the treatment of Liko vs Roy by the writers. When it’s come to Roy’s focus, the writers give him development as a Pokémon trainer. They allowed him to have a battle with a gym leader, let him bond with wild Pokémon and even make a capture.

Meanwhile Liko just feels like a bystander as every time that she gets focus, it’s got absolutely nothing to do with helping her grow as a Pokémon trainer. The last time she actually did anything trainer related was when they were training after Roy joined and since then all she’s been allowed to do is civilian tasks like trying to befriend Dot, go shopping and tell her dad her feelings on continuing her journey (not even getting to show that she could handle herself better than when she went off to school). And while it’s fine to give her personal growth, it’s kinda resulted in her becoming a damsel when it comes to the Explorers coming after her to the point that when she wanders off on her own, she becomes a victim. And it really doesn’t help matters that they had such a negative event happen for Liko in the same event that such a positive one happened for Roy. Now that they been giving Roy as much attention as they have, I really hope that they start giving Liko the same treatment especially given the writer’s track record with the girl of group the past few series and how she is also supposed to be the other protagonist.

It's interesting that we have two female protagonists this time but they both seem very passive. Maybe they should have waited with the amnesia plot for a few episodes when Liko and Dot have grown closer. Then there could have been a plot with Dot worrying about Liko going missing and finally going outside to go look for her. This could lead to some much needed character development for Dot and maybe even an emotional moment when she realizes that her first friend forgot about her.

I'm honestly not sure where they are going with this plot. Friede and/or Roy saves her again? Will they at least have an interesting reaction to Liko having lost her memories?

I really love seeing Roy's creative side in this episode.

Just hope Liko gets more to do in the near future.

The battle between Friede and Spinel was way too short if you ask me
I think it's a set up so they can have a proper all out battle when Spinel's identity inevitably gets revealed. He still has his Umbreon on hand too. For Spinel he was just using the battle to snuff out Fried's skills. Now that he knows about the Dark Tera it'll surely come into play when they face off later.

I feel like Horizons does things that the previous anime series missed on.

Like with Roy and the Ancient Pokeball plot point = a call back to the GS ball plot but with actual substance.

Roy and Wattrel - I honestly thought the writers were going to pull a May and Swablu but they didn't.
Big part of why I like this series, them taking advantage of stuff that they couldn't do in previous eras. Just like this episode.

Back
Top Bottom