• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

I think I've figured out TPCi's music replacement practices.

That's great that you don't care. Do you want a ribbon or something?
Man, you guys sure are getting a bit salty. Chill out. If you can't handle discussions that contain opinions then don't click this thread?

Man, you guys sure are getting a bit salty. Chill out. If you can't handle discussions that contain opinions then don't click this thread?

First of all, please watch that attitude. You've already made rude comments about those who care about the music changes and have been given an in-thread warning about that. You don't need to act condescending towards others. Don't do this again.

Second of all, the issue isn't that people can't handle discussions that contain opinions, or opposite opinions to their own in this case. It's more like there isn't a lot to add to this discussion if you simply don't care about TPCI changing the music, or at least that's the impression I'm getting. If you want people to respect your opinion that the dub score isn't a big deal for you, then it would be best to respect that it is a big deal for a lot of people.

I have something else to say on the topic of dub BGM. Lord_Mewtwo cited some of his personal examples of replacement BGM not working out (and believe it or not, I agree with the example about the original series trio parting ways, though I wouldn't say it was "destroyed"), so I'll cite some examples of when I felt it did work. My first one is the one I feel most passionately about, and it's from the only soundtrack I still overall like better than the dub soundtrack: the first movie. As I just said, I like the original soundtrack better, but there was just one point where I feel it messed up. Seriously, what was this junk that version played over the first half of the flying Pokeballs scene??? It cannot be called music. It's noise. Circus calliope noise. No joke; I was laughing when Mewtwo was capturing everyone's Pokemon, and I'm certain that's not at all the reaction the filmmakers wanted (in fact, there is absolutely no scene in the entire lore of the Pokemon cartoon that I could take seriously when that... thing played over it). To the credit of the sound editing department, they at least got it together when it got to the part of Pikachu running from those not-Master Balls. Still, the dub track was tense all the way through, which is why I side with it. Other than that slip-up, the original soundtrack is better than the dub soundtrack.

Unfortunately, that's the only one of the movie soundtracks I'd say that about. The second movie's dub soundtrack utterly trounced the original soundtrack (I've already explained why in a blog entry I salvaged before the blog purge) and the third movie's dub soundtrack only barely won over the original one. I just didn't really get into it in the second half of the original movie; I felt underwhelmed by it. Hearing a bare-bones remix of the G2 Rival Encounter theme go over Brock's battle against Molly really didn't excite me as much as this unique dub-only theme did (the actual battle music starts at 1:31, but there's a very nice buildup to it before that mark). Same goes for Misty's battle against Molly; a G2 Wild Pokemon Encounter remix didn't engross me as well as this dub-only theme did (though honestly, I like the Brock vs Molly dub theme better between those two battles). And also, I felt this was more emotional than the original track that went over the scene where the mansion flower blooms.

And if I'm being really honest here, I feel John Loeffler and Ralph Shuckett were the best composers the Pokemon movies ever had working on them.

As for TPCi's current dub, I think Ed Goldfarb has the opposite problem as Loeffler and Shuckett: whereas they were at their prime for the movies but faltered a bit with the show, Goldfarb is at his prime with the show but falters with the movies. Even though I thought the original Diancie movie soundtrack was complete garbage, the dub soundtrack wasn't too much better. Even then, it still engrossed me more than the original soundtrack did. But that's the movies; as for the show, I've felt the show's music replacement has been an improvement on lots of occasions. For one thing, the instrumental remix of "Be A Hero" fit Talonflame's evolution scene so much better than the original's "Brilliantly" did. Also, that theme the dub gave to Serena's Eevee is the most adorable thing ever, and it sure improved over when the original just used a boring remix of this already boring theme over its very first scene. Off the top of my head, those are the best examples I can think of.

And please keep in mind, this is all just me speaking for me.

Last edited:
Why did Loeffler and Wolfert leave anyway? More or less, Loeffler was around since the beginning and Wolfert was around since TPCi took over. But they just disappeared starting with XY. I wonder why.

I'm not following TPCI's dub anymore so I can't give an opinion towards the thread main theme. What I can say's that I sorta-kinda prefer 4kids OST in the early movies than the original ones.
I've never cared for the original film score as most of them're uninteresting in my opinion... That's why when one's played in a regular episode I feel bored instead of excited (BW Trio scenes for eg)

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom