• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If YOU Were Making a Live-Action Pokémon Movie (Series?)

i really enjoy your vision! i have one of my own for a movie like this but i would do it a bit diff

1> have you seen the naruto movies? they have nothing to do with the story line of the anime what so ever...its just they take their time to make it for the fans...so i think guiding away and making a new plot would work the best, leaving room fro growth in the movie and not subjecting it to the game

it could start as so : early in the farm of milktank and tauros with the sun coming up and then a baby torchic chirps like a rooster would, then you busilly see events happening in the city, late night ppl going home, little kids waking up getting ready for school (before the appropriate age to become a trainer) and then the protagonist waking up, lazy, tired from last night what ever it may be, waking up to turn off the snooze button and his snorlax clock, tickling his dads voltorb to wake up and start heating he water, or a fire pokemon if prefered, then getting ready, kissing mom goodbey as he walks out with an egg sandwich...i believe in my idea the age for the trainer (for maturaty and parental reasons) should be 16 in the live actin movie

then this would start the beginning of his pokemon journey..the sequals would be about how he made it or failed the last time..to give real life events and also to push a mindset that things dont come easy

so with that said

2> i would start in gen II for the reason being that it would show a time laps in the game, so instead of starting with gen I (though a very brave and great move for loyal-ness to the game) it would bring ppl in to see how life is with pokemon istead of just "we already know how pokemon is and blah blah"

for the kids that want to see it from the age of 6-12 we should make it PG but that reallllyyyy would be no fun so i think aiming for PG-13 is grreeaaattt

violence that you would normally see in the game, no blood but bruising is aloud, and then only a few (like 3-4) adults use ONE curse word each if it REALLY just adds to the plot

i really hope some one read this....its just out the top of my head and im proud of it....thank you for your time :)))

Actually, your opening is not all that dissimilar from the scene I envision where we first meet Red, the few differences being the location, the presence of Leaf, and a brief absence of Pokémon. However, I do not see this as the opening sequence.

The opening sequence, as I see it, would follow Mewtwo just after his escape from Cinnabar Mansion, running for his life and telekinetically striking down Rocket grunts along the way. After one final exchange of words with Giovanni, Mewtwo would not be seen again until near the end of the film, when he would confront Deoxys.

Cue the elaborate title sequence set to an epic medley of Junichi Masuda's music (even if it has to be arranged by someone else).

Actually, your opening is not all that dissimilar from the scene I envision where we first meet Red, the few differences being the location, the presence of Leaf, and a brief absence of Pokémon. However, I do not see this as the opening sequence.

The opening sequence, as I see it, would follow Mewtwo just after his escape from Cinnabar Mansion, running for his life and telekinetically striking down Rocket grunts along the way. After one final exchange of words with Giovanni, Mewtwo would not be seen again until near the end of the film, when he would confront Deoxys.

Cue the elaborate title sequence set to an epic medley of Junichi Masuda's music (even if it has to be arranged by someone else).

haha well im very glad that you read it!! ive been on here trying to reach ot other pokemon lovers but no one answers =/ i love this thought of a movie tho

believe it or not its funny we are having this convo

im going to Full Sail University to do computer animation...its sooo much for 2 years

but im going to adventure im movies and game art

the students from full sail are the ones that did the Iron Man and Spider Man and Avatar etc etc :) so ill b part of a good group

anyways reason to mention that is cause i really want to make a pokemon movie as i described

maybe if you are really into your vision as i am we can make a screen write and ill see about producing and everything

what about this topic

the vision on the reality of pokemon and their fur/scale/body is so diverse

i really want to post a poll to see what ppl would think about the life aspects and things they would have so we can give the people a chance to be part of a revolutionary scene

but if it doesnt work then i think they would be ok as real character people and only semi real pokemon...like the moves and actual hitting and stuff be real, even the way they look but just a little more animated to keep it in the peoples vision

anyways

what about my opening scene? i like the thought of that haha and i like yours to, we should combine that would be the best

as for the battle of mewtwo, i think that we should show him in as they did iron man in the last Hulk movie...in the very end

should we make him erase the peoples mind of the event like in the movie?

i have a big choice of who the protagonist's pokemon would be too,whats your idea on it? maybe we can make 2 diff characters that work as a team, but also have separate goals

write back please! i enjoy this topic

haha well im very glad that you read it!! ive been on here trying to reach ot other pokemon lovers but no one answers =/ i love this thought of a movie tho

believe it or not its funny we are having this convo

I'm glad I finally met someone who enjoys the idea of a live-action Pokémon film as much as I. :)

im going to Full Sail University to do computer animation...its sooo much for 2 years

but im going to adventure im movies and game art

the students from full sail are the ones that did the Iron Man and Spider Man and Avatar etc etc :) so ill b part of a good group

Awesome sauce! :yahoo:

anyways reason to mention that is cause i really want to make a pokemon movie as i described

maybe if you are really into your vision as i am we can make a screen write and ill see about producing and everything

Actually, I'm a musician. I don't know much about screenwriting. Assuming my career in music is a success, though, I could possibly help to fund the project.

what about this topic

the vision on the reality of pokemon and their fur/scale/body is so diverse

i really want to post a poll to see what ppl would think about the life aspects and things they would have so we can give the people a chance to be part of a revolutionary scene

Hmm....not too sure about that one, but I guess it could work.

but if it doesnt work then i think they would be ok as real character people and only semi real pokemon...like the moves and actual hitting and stuff be real, even the way they look but just a little more animated to keep it in the peoples vision

Sounds reasonable.

anyways

what about my opening scene? i like the thought of that haha and i like yours to, we should combine that would be the best

Your opening could work for the way I see the second movie going. Though I personally would have a title sequence directly beforehand—a kind of pastiche of the openings from Gold, Silver and Crystal.

as for the battle of mewtwo, i think that we should show him in as they did iron man in the last Hulk movie...in the very end

should we make him erase the peoples mind of the event like in the movie?

....not sure what the point of a memory charm would be. And I'd really like to avoid repeating plots from the anime. But that's just me.

i have a big choice of who the protagonist's pokemon would be too,whats your idea on it? maybe we can make 2 diff characters that work as a team, but also have separate goals

The movie you're talking about sounds like it would star Generation II's male protagonist (Ethan). He has no "canon" team, so he's wide open for interpretation. Red, on the other hand, does have a canon team, consisting of Pikachu, Espeon (or Lapras, depending on the Generation), Snorlax, Venusaur, Charizard and Blastoise. I personally would like to stick as close to canon as possible, but truthfully, I'm fine as long as Red appears somewhere.

As for having two characters who work as a team to accomplish different goals, I thought of Kris/Lyra/Whatever as having an undefined goal when first encountered in Goldenrod City (a notable divergence from canon, where she is first seen in New Bark Town). In lieu of that, Silver can be made into an anti-hero who assists the protagonist(s) in taking down Team Rocket in order to exact revenge for them failing his father (another notable divergence from canon, where he fights against the player every step of the way).

Granted, they're working for the same goal in that case, but for different reasons.

There's all kinds of directions this thing could go in. I only wish it would actually become a reality.

A live-action movie would be awesome! They made a movie for Dragon Ball, why not Pokemon?

I don't know why but I picture it being like the movie Enchanted, where that cartoon princess ends up in the real world, except in reverse.

ooooh now that is a COMPLETELY diff subject haha im very sure anyone who is on this site can say the same

i wish they were real....as a little kid i was ugly..haha no friends etc you know what i mean? and in the real life pets such as dogs or cats are all in for the emotional and bond of the friendship

i could have really used a little cyndaquil named Elijah when i was a kid...

now you could say i had the ugly duckling effect and ppl wont stay away

ive gotten some of those annoying butt wholes and bullies into pokemon now and they are nicer and treat ppl equal do to the same intrest

i guess thats how you could say pokemon has changed my life...believe it or not it had a great impact on me growing up

i had a little bobcat (i lived in the woods for so long) Tommy who was very inteligent and i would pretend he was my pokemon

but anyways enough sad stuff!!!!!!!

duddeeeee im a musician too! its just not my career choice since i cant even read music

ive payed piano for 11 years and guitar for 3...im equally good at both cause guitar is sooo much easier to learn haha piano is hard

but i love art...and i wasnt to change the world with my art and brign people together

its funny how some ones creations can bring life to peoples communication and subjective thinking to stop

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

haha i keep wondering off the topic

ok ok! for me id have the personal choice of choosing the pokemon due that i would be creating the movie just as you said the topic is

id have them be :

Elijah (a shiny cyndaquil desolated by the community of cyndies and quils and typhos because of his mix up and how he stands out of the pack and its trouble to keep him safe cause he sticks out)

Poe (a gengar who escaped from a circus due to unreasonable treatment and harsh language that he worked hard to get away from)

Puddy ( the protagonist first pokemon he caught in the wild after his encounter with Elijah)

Bella ( the eevee who evolved into a Leafeon upon catching it in the woods then fighting off the antagonist that later helps the hero)

Shell Shocker ( a squirtle that is cocky cause he took down a wild blastoise, the hero wins him over after a painful yet funny chase and a victory battle in the end)

and last

Lugia ( THE lugia who can talk through psychic powers and is in need of a great soul, being the hero, to help aid him in the next movie...the one you see with the mewtwo battle...and there for lets him be botained after showing his worthyness)

bahahhahahaha

what you think? we have now complete differnet choices in movies i think

I don't think I'd give the protagonists any legendary Pokémon. Except perhaps for Dawn, Lucas and Barry in the Sinnoh arc. And I wouldn't use "Shell Shocker" as a nickname for anything in the Squirtle line—again, I would try to avoid repeating stuff from the anime.

As an aside, I am working to become a professional vocalist/keyboardist. Mostly vocalist, though.

ha thats nice

i can sing a little...not much

but i play piano alot and used to be in a band

so i hope it all works out for you

hmmm ya im bad at nicknames but shelshocker was cool so i took that in

and well according to your words! you said stay from the anime so i came to the conclusion that id give in that

so what do you think your first scene would consider

I probably would'nt base the plot on any of the games and come up with a totally new story. The main character would only have 1-3 pokemon. I would make sure that the pokemon are actually realistic looking, even if it involves changing a few of their minor details. I think the first one would take place in a place with only gen I pokemon and the main villian would either be giovanni, mewtwo, or both. Then the sequal would include all known pokemon and the villian would most likely either be the same as the prequal or someone new and more awesome.

if the movies going to hoenn the dame helen miran for glacia.

If I were making a live action film I would have to live in a bunker built beneath a mountain to protect myself from how horrible it would be. The pokemon would looks like crap and the story would be unable to be the plot of the games without getting too repetitive.

Video game movies don't work.

I'm surprised that such a stupid series like Pokemon Live has basically ruined peoples hopes for an actually good live-action series/movie.

Ok... Has anyone here seen Avatar? it may have been stale plot-wise, but hands down it had some of the best 3D I have ever seen. I'm sure that with enough of an investment, a GOOD live-action pokemon movie could be made. The technology exists, we just need a good plot and the will to mesh the two together. The poor excuse of a plot that Super Mario Bros. and Legend of Zelda had were the reason why they failed.

Someone has most likely mentioned this but:

• maybe a sequal to that Pokemon Live show that went on a while back

Distortion world no!

All I know is if Prof. Rowan was in the movie, I'd want him played by John Cleese.

Also, I wouldn't go for sequels. As games, they work fine; since every game there's new pokemon, areas, new game mechanics... but if you take the same plot, rinse it out and slap on different faces for four or five movies, you just end up milking the life out of a series. And then in your twilight years you make a movie called "Red" where a very old Red decides to go out and challenge gyms just one more time...

That is, if you don't fall into the rebooting trend by the fifth film.

If I had to choose, though, I'd go for an adaptation of the Johto games. That way you can explore two regions in the same movie (which would likely be a very long one, granted), you can explore bits of the Kanto based games' story and make a very complete film coherent with the games it's based on. Also, GenII was my favorite.

And I'd probably add elements of the Manga, like pokemon being able to attack trainers and such. Of course if you go for a more mature rating you can makes things work a lot better - no self-respecting organized crime syndicate will fall to a mere child just because his pets were stronger than it's members' pets.

The movie would likely have a downer ending, though, as Team Rocket would strictly abide by the Evil Overlord List, meaning that at some point, when the protagonist gets too meddlesome, he'd probably just get shot and sent off to sleep with the Goldeen.

I generally think it's a bad idea. The Dragonball movie's a good indication what Hollywood would turn Pokemon into.

But if I'd do it, I would tell a story unrelated to the games/anime and focus on a runaway that attempts to become a "Pokemon Master" and how his understanding of the term "Pokemon Master" changes as he meets Team Rocket, some of the gym leaders and finally the Elite Four. Add themes of fatherless childhoods (which, like it or not, is a running theme in all the Pokemon media), explore the line between competitive battling and animal cruelty (the difference between battling with trust in your team versus the idea of battling for power) and focus on how the characters' developement mirror their Pokemon (eg. The protagonist's Charizard with a healthy sheen taking on his rival's Charizard with tattered wings).

I wouldn't make a kids movie, though. Frankly, the idea of watching a whole movie about glorified cock-fighting doesn't sit well with the PG13 crowd, as far as I understand. I was about 12 when the Pokemon craze exploded around the world (I'm 21 now). I think if the movie was well done it could easily reach a older target market without Disney-fying everything. If we're aiming at "live action" Pokemon we should have it done with "Real Life" rules. Bite something, it will bleed. If a Lvl. 2 Pidgy gets Thunderbolted by a Lvl. 80 Zapdos, it ain't getting back up. Ever. The drama of potentially losing your best friend everytime you battle would add real drama to the film.

But that's just my opinion. Frankly, if Miley Cyrus or Dakota Fanning is in it or it's done by Disney I won't see it.

HOLD IT! I hate when people assume things too quickly.

I generally think it's a bad idea. The Dragonball movie's a good indication what Hollywood would turn Pokemon into.

Maybe if you want to compare Dragonball Evolution to Avatar or Iron Man, but for the low budget movie it was, Dragonball Evolution was actually pretty good.

But if I'd do it, I would tell a story unrelated to the games/anime and focus on a runaway that attempts to become a "Pokemon Master" and how his understanding of the term "Pokemon Master" changes as he meets Team Rocket, some of the gym leaders and finally the Elite Four. Add themes of fatherless childhoods (which, like it or not, is a running theme in all the Pokemon media), explore the line between competitive battling and animal cruelty (the difference between battling with trust in your team versus the idea of battling for power) and focus on how the characters' developement mirror their Pokemon (eg. The protagonist's Charizard with a healthy sheen taking on his rival's Charizard with tattered wings).

That's a good idea, but can you write a script for it?

I wouldn't make a kids movie, though. Frankly, the idea of watching a whole movie about glorified cock-fighting doesn't sit well with the PG13 crowd, as far as I understand. I was about 12 when the Pokemon craze exploded around the world (I'm 21 now). I think if the movie was well done it could easily reach a older target market without Disney-fying everything. If we're aiming at "live action" Pokemon we should have it done with "Real Life" rules. Bite something, it will bleed. If a Lvl. 2 Pidgy gets Thunderbolted by a Lvl. 80 Zapdos, it ain't getting back up. Ever. The drama of potentially losing your best friend everytime you battle would add real drama to the film.

There goes your biggest audience...

But that's just my opinion. Frankly, if Miley Cyrus or Dakota Fanning is in it or it's done by Disney I won't see it.

HEY! Pirates of the Caribbean was a good series of movies, don't be bashing Disney just because of all the children's stuff. Besides, Disney dubbed some classic anime movies like Nasuca of the Vally of the Wind and Spirited Away (and actually did a good job at it, unlike 4Kids), as well as working with Square Enix on the Kingdom Hearts games. Does that change your oppinion on those titles?

HOLD IT! I hate when people assume things too quickly.
Nay, good sir! I thought long and hard! ^_^
Maybe if you want to compare Dragonball Evolution to Avatar or Iron Man, but for the low budget movie it was, Dragonball Evolution was actually pretty good.
But look at the factors that Dragonball and Pokemon share: Both based on japanese media with a HUGE mythology which is difficult to squeeze into a 90 minute production for kids. And, dispite my wish for a more "mature" Pokemon movie, we all know that the execs would hardsell it into a nice packaged form to sell more Happy Meals. Dragonball did NOT live up to fan's expectations, that's the point I'm making...
That's a good idea, but can you write a script for it?
I really want to.
There goes your biggest audience...
Hey, hear me out. I'm not denying the Pokemon's cute. But beyond the contests and the Pokelathon and the dress-ups the bare bones of Pokemon is humans pitting creatures head to head for profit. It's not the only part to the world, but it's there. I think that the cutesy stuff was done in the series already. The movie would need to ramp things up to capture a new audience.

HEY! Pirates of the Caribbean was a good series of movies, don't be bashing Disney just because of all the children's stuff. Besides, Disney dubbed some classic anime movies like Nasuca of the Vally of the Wind and Spirited Away (and actually did a good job at it, unlike 4Kids), as well as working with Square Enix on the Kingdom Hearts games. Does that change your oppinion on those titles?
Okay, I conceed that point... But I still feel redoing the anime into live-action wouldn't do anything new for the series.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom