• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is Ash a good main character?

So, is Ash a good main character?

• Yes, of course!

Votes: 28 39.4%
  • Eh, I’m neutral.

Votes: 30 42.3%
  • No! Kick him out already!

Votes: 13 18.3%

• Total voters
Ash is a perfectly fine main character for fanfics when you unjam the time gear that is keeping him at a vague age.

Well, you're only a user for few months and already changed your mind in a 180 degree turn. This is fast.
Well I was around for season 1. I guess for my fanfic series, I was trying to ignore the problems or even fix them. The fact is at this point, I have come the realization that, while Ash maybe a good character, he should have been swapped after Kanto, or even Johto since the two are connected.

Why not Sinnoh, or even Kalos?
One problem would also be the list of Pokémon at his disposal would become too big to manage. If Ash stopped at Kanto, he would have 10. At the end of Johto, 16 (17 including Snorlax). 21 at the end of hoenn. Right now, Ash has like 43 Pokémon in total. Sure some were released, but still.

One problem would also be the list of Pokémon at his disposal would become too big to manage. If Ash stopped at Kanto, he would have 10. At the end of Johto, 16 (17 including Snorlax). 21 at the end of hoenn. Right now, Ash has like 43 Pokémon in total. Sure some were released, but still.
What's wrong with more pokemon?

Yeah...what is the problem?

I mean it isn't that hard to show a decent amount of Pokemon per story. A bit of rotation per chapter and you can have them appear decently often. Plus you can expand pretty easily on the canon ones alone.

Plus there is a fair realism you can easily put into a fic or story: having more than six mons lets you swap teams to prevent people from plotting strategies against you, or letting Pokemon rest up between battles. See Johto battle Harrison v John Dickson for what that means, as well as fridge observations on Charizard v Blaziken and why Infernape wasn't battling Tobias.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah...what is the problem?

I mean it isn't that hard to show a decent amount of Pokemon per story. A bit of rotation per chapter and you can have them appear decently often. Plus you can expand pretty easily on the canon ones alone.

Plus there is a fair realism you can easily put into a fic or story: having more than six mons lets you swap teams to prevent people from plotting strategies against you, or letting Pokemon rest up between battles. See Johto battle Harrison v John Dickson for what that means, as well as fridge observations on Charizard v Blaziken and why Infernape wasn't battling Tobias.

The problem isn’t so much more Pokémon within a specific Region, i’m talking about being over in Kalos with like 50 Pokémon across 5 Regions and catching 10 in Kalos. What then? It will be VERY difficult if not impossible to use all of them outside the league. Some might end up being unused.

The problem isn’t so much more Pokémon within a specific Region, i’m talking about being over in Kalos with like 50 Pokémon across 5 Regions and catching 10 in Kalos. What then? It will be VERY difficult if not impossible to use all of them outside the league. Some might end up being unused.

60 Pokemon in Kalos huh....

Well....

You can

A: Expand the Gym Leaders rosters to be larger battles. For example having all the gyms involve 4 Pokemon: 4 times 8 is 32 mons max versus a 21 max in the anime.

B: Have more rival battles. Tierno, Trevor, Sawyer, heck Astrid or Remo or even the Pikachu rocker.

C: Have training scenes

D: Expand the league to have more trainers and more rounds and thus more battles

E: Longer chapters to do more of the above

Research other fanfics to see how they handle it and find a solution that you can be comfortable with.

60 Pokemon in Kalos huh....

Well....

You can

A: Expand the Gym Leaders rosters to be larger battles. For example having all the gyms involve 4 Pokemon: 4 times 8 is 32 mons max versus a 21 max in the anime.

B: Have more rival battles. Tierno, Trevor, Sawyer, heck Astrid or Remo or even the Pikachu rocker.

C: Have training scenes

D: Expand the league to have more trainers and more rounds and thus more battles

E: Longer chapters to do more of the above

Honestly the problem is entirely in your head from a lack of ambition. Research other fanfics to see how they handle it and find a solution that you can be comfortable with.
I think you maybe right about it being in my head. Perhaps i’m worrying to much about things like age and Pokémon teams. I did not really think about those. Perhaps I was trying to hard to write it out just like the anime. I think what I will do is...
I do apologize. I shall think about what and how I want to do it. Got any ideas to ease things up for me?

Also, there really is nothing wrong with one character traveling around each region.

I just realized this today. What makes Ash such a good main character, is the fact that while he may not ever win a league tournament, he stands for everything good that's in the world he loves. Getting a trophy, beating the Elite Four and Champ and becoming one yourself would be awesome, no doubt, but putting others before yourself and saving the world from anything that threatens people and pokemon is the greatest feat of them all. That is what in my mind makes Ash a Pokemon Master and that is why in my honest opinion he is a good character.

Answering to the thread's question, already (I wanted to do this before but either was short on time or just didn't feel like )

Satoshi's character's proven to be pretty inconsistent over the years. People say that until Shin'ou his development was pretty continuous and all, I don't think that's really the case. Then Isshu came and he became a rookie again,and there's where his character pretty much started to lose its sense. I'm not focusing on BW since we're tired of hearing about all its flaws, so I'm moving to XY. In my headcanon XY follows DP. Even not being a perfect development line, it's still more straightforward than BW and SM (especially).

I really like BW and, while I recognize its flaws, it still managed to mantain Satoshi's personality more or less the same from the other 4 series (although with a few slips. Remember he accepting Homika's 6x3 battle? Kinda something he'd do in Kanto only, right?)
SM is just overkill (sorry, it's my opinion) Satoshi not caring for battling like he used to do or finishing his quest like before, instead focusing more on his school life... Are we talking about the same character?

Anyway, I also wouldn't call him the most original protagonist ever. What major difference he's got from Son Goku, Luffy, Naruto, Haru, Taichi, Takao, etc etc etc...?

I thought about ash as a character, and realized that I have a bit more of a passion for the anime than I thought. I do keep up with it on serebii and bulbapedia. Thus my opinion about him has changed.

As I have said before, Ash going through each region can work if done right. This is my opinion.

I thought about ash as a character, and realized that I have a bit more of a passion for the anime than I thought. I do keep up with it on serebii and bulbapedia. Thus my opinion about him has changed.
Well, that was fast.

Well, that was fast.
Yeah, Sorry. I realized that I kind of do follow the anime, even though I don’t watch it anymore. Sure swapping characters COULD work. I have seen a lot of the original yugioh anime. The others, not so much at all. Perhaps I really am one of those people who don’t like it when the protagonist is swapped out.

Eh, I voted no since I haven't liked him much since AG, but I don't think he should be kicked off the show since it's not practical or even likely to happen anyway. At the same time though, I've settled into the mentality that Ash will never completely win me over again, so I'm leaning on being neutral.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom