• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

COMPLETE: Jim: Blaze of Glory (EVERYONE)

CHAPTER 41
Jim vs. Cruise​

“I’m gonna face you tomorrow?” asked Cruise over dinner that night. “Holy cow, that’s gonna be awesome!”

“I know,” said Jim, having somewhat recovered from the initial shock. “I can’t wait to see how much your Pokemon have improved since. Last time, I remember you having a Sewaddle and a Servine. Now I see you using Leavanny, Scolipede, and...what was that other one? The little sheep?”

“Whimsicott.”

“Right, Whimsicott. The little wind-devil.”

“Well, you’re gonna be in for a real show. I’ve been saving my best for the chance that I face one of my best buds, and it’s gonna be you, Jimmy! Lucky, huh?”

“Yeah, lucky,” said Jim. “Just don’t expect me to go easy.”

“I’d be insulted if you did,” said Cruise, grinning. “I know you wouldn’t hold back.”

“I agree,” said Nigel. “Knowing you were holding back just because you were facing a friend would be a worse blow than defeating them.”

“Duly noted,” said Jim, dryly.

“Unfortunately, the Trainers I’ve been facing really do seem to be giving me their best,” Nigel went on, “and that frustrates me. I’m not getting any better experience from such easy victories.”

“Don’t worry about it, Nigel,” said Cheren. “Sooner or later, you’re gonna face one of us, and then you’ll have the challenge you’re hoping for.”

“That’s what I’m looking forward to,” said Nigel, smirking. “Once the peanut gallery is weeded out, then we can see who among the five of us truly deserves the title of Pokemon Champion!”

“Amen to that,” said Solomon.

“Let’s bring it to ‘em!” crowed Cruise.

“Boys,” Bianca and Leanne muttered together.

***​

“Krookodile is unable to battle! Throh wins!”

“And what an exciting conclusion to our first match of the day, eh, Alder?” asked Burton.

“It was pretty hairy toward the end, Charlie,” said Alder, “but I think we all knew who would pull out on top.”

“Yes, indeed. Now, let’s move onto our next match of the day: Jim Stevens vs. Cruise Greendale!”

“Just do your best, honey,” said Mrs. Stevens, patting Jim on the shoulder. She seemed to guess what he was feeling.

“Thanks, Mom,” he said, as he got up.

The cheering was tumultuous as Jim and Cruise took their places on the battlefield.

“Let’s give them a good show, Jim,” said Cruise. “No matter what happens, you’re always gonna be my pal.”

“Same to you, Cruise,” said Jim, with a grateful smile.

Cruise drew his first Poke Ball, twirling it between his fingers.

“Lemme show you the real ferocity of a Bug!” he said, fiercely, before tossing the ball. “Crustle, go!”

The Pokemon that appeared on the field resembled a red crab with yellow eyes, but this was offset by the enormous slab of gray rock its head, claws, and legs were poking out of. Jim brought out his Pokedex.

“Crustle, the Stone Home Pokemon, and the evolved form of Dwebble. Its powerful legs allow it to travel great distances with the stone it carries on its back. In fierce territorial combat, the Crustle whose shell breaks is the loser.”

“A Bug/Rock type, huh?” Jim said. “Torch won’t be able to do much, then.”

He drew a Poke Ball.

“This is a job for you, Torrent!”

In a burst of light, the Simipour appeared, unfazed, as usual, by his opponent.

“Going with your Simipour, eh?” asked Cruise. “Smart choice. Let’s do this!”

“Begin!” said the referee.

“Torch, start with Hydro Pump!”

Torch cupped his paws to his side, a swirling ball of water forming between them. He then threw them forward, sending a powerful blast right at Crustle.

“Into your shell, Crustle!” Cruise commanded.

Cruise withdrew his head and claws into his shell, the water blast striking against the hard stone.

“Going on the defensive, are we?” asked Jim. “Then we’ll just have to chip away at it. Torrent, Brick Break!”

Torrent dashed toward Crustle, his right arm glowing a brilliant white. He leaped and struck with a furious chop that actually managed to overturn Crustle’s enormous shell onto its side. Several people gasped.

“Come on, Cruise, is this how it’s gonna be?” Jim asked. “We promised not to hold back on each other.”

Cruise, however, was smiling.

“We’ve only just begun, Jimmy,” he said. “Crustle, Shell Smash!”

In one swift movement, Crustle righted itself and reappeared at the mouth of its shell. Then, with surprising speed, it leaped out of its shell, so that it now resembled a large red scorpion with a hooked tail. A red glow surrounded its body, which turned white, then the light was broken as lines seemed to perforate through it, like stained glass. With a crashing sound, as if it really were glass, the white ‘pieces’ broke away, leaving Crustle glowing red once more.

“What the heck was that?” Jim asked, completely confused.

“Shell Smash,” said Cruise. “Crustle’s lost some of its defensive power, but doubled its offensive power and its speed. Now the real battle begins.”

Jim’s confusion gave way to excitement, as he smiled competitively.

“That’s what I like to hear. Torrent, Hydro Pump!”

Torrent fired off another large blast of water.

“Dodge it, Crustle, and use X-Scissor!”

Crustle bounded into the air like a grasshopper, dodging the Hydro Pump, then fell straight for Torrent, claws crossed and glowing purple. He slashed them apart as he came level, striking Torrent with a flaming purple X that knocked him through the air. He landed sturdily back on his feet.

“Atta boy,” said Jim. “Give him an Ice Beam!”

Torrent raised both hands, fingers curled so that his hands resembled a pair of pistols, and fired a pair of ice-blue bolts from his index fingers. Crustle was struck full-on by the blast, the glow of the Shell Smash fading slightly.

“Don’t give in, Crustle,” said Cruise. “Use Rock Wrecker!”

Crustle raised his claws above his head, a rock materializing between them and glowing with a red-orange aura. This launched like a cannonball right at Torrent.

“Blast through it with Brick Break!” said Jim.

Torrent drew his arm back, his paw glowing white once again. He gave a sharp swing at the rock, striking against it, but it wasn’t enough to shatter it. Cringing from the pain it sent him, Torrent wasn’t unable to hold off the attack, as it pelted him backwards across the field.

“Torrent, hang in there!” said Jim.

“Sorry, Jim,” said Cruise, “but it’s time for Torrent to say adios. Crustle, Solarbeam!”

Jim felt his stomach clench. Really, at this point, he shouldn’t be surprised at what certain Pokemon could learn...

Crustle’s body took on a golden-green tinge as he raised one claw, pointing it open at Torrent. A ball of the same color formed between the pincers.

Jim’s brain felt like it had jammed as he tried to think of a way out. Crustle’s Attack powers were beefed, but his Defenses had taken a plummet. If he could get in a good super-effective attack on it, he might have a chance.

The Solarbeam fired, blazing with the intensity of a sunbeam.

“Torrent, Acrobatics!” Jim yelled.

Swift as a frog, Torrent bounded into the air, pulling a double-flip as Crustle tried to move its Solarbeam to catch it in midair. Then, with a sharp dive, Torrent returned earthward, stomping Crustle on the back with both feet. The Stone Home Pokemon let out a cry of pain.

“What?!” Cruise shouted.

“Now give it a Hydro Pump for good measure!” said Jim.

Torrent bounded off, cupped his paws in midair, and fired a jet of water at Crustle, blowing it off its feet and sending it flying. It smacked hard against its rocky shell, then slid to the ground, out cold.

“Crustle is unable to battle!” said the referee. “Simipour wins!”

Though momentarily shocked, Cruise still recalled Crustle, both it and its shell disappearing into its Poke Ball.

“Not bad, Jim, not bad,” he said. “Great start! Now that you’ve seen what I can dish out, let’s move on to the next round!”

“I’m ready for you, Cruise,” said Jim.

“You better be. Go, Amoonguss!”

Cruise launched his next Poke Ball, and from it came a Pokemon resembling a large white mushroom. It had half-closed eyes, a pink snout, and its arms ended in circular ‘shields’ decorated like Poke Balls. Even its warty cap resembled one. Jim took out his Pokedex.

“Amoonguss, the Mushroom Pokemon, and the evolved form of Foongus. It lures prey by swaying its Poke Ball-disguised arms and performing a sort of dance. It makes its home in damp regions.”

“Think you can go a little farther, Torrent?” Jim asked.

“I got this, bro,” said Torrent, casually. “At the least, I’ll get in a hit or two.”

“Awesome.”

“Ok, Torrent, use Ice Beam!”

Torrent pointed one arm straight forward, index finger glowing blue, then ‘shot’ a bolt of ice lightning at Amoonguss. However, it shielded its face with its caps, sending the Ice Beam ricocheting away.

“Not this time, Jimmy,” said Cruise. “Amoonguss, use Spore!”

Amoonguss uncovered its face, reared back, and spat a cloud of golden dust from its mouth. It settled over Torrent, who looked bewildered, but then, his arms slumped, and he began swaying on the spot.

“Torrent?” Jim asked, in an anxious tone.

To his dismay, Torrent flopped onto the ground and fell asleep.

“Torrent, no!” Jim shouted. “Wake up! Don’t fall asleep now!”

“Perfect!” said Cruise. “Now, Amoonguss, Energy Ball!”

Amoonguss pointed one of its arms at Torrent. The ‘button’ of the Poke Ball design began to glow, and a greenish-yellow ball of light formed in front of it. It fired, and Torrent was thrown into the air by the blast, still asleep, and he landed spread-eagle back on the ground.

“Simipour is unable to battle!” said the referee. “Amoonguss wins!”

Jim recalled Torrent, wondering how the referee could have told the difference between asleep and knocked out.

“Good job,” Jim said as held his ball up. “Get a good rest.”

He drew a second Poke Ball and turned to Cruise.

“You shouldn’t have done that, Cruise. Now you’ve called down the thunder.”

“Oh?” asked Cruise, raising an amused eyebrow.

“Torch, avenge your brother!”

Torch appeared on the battlefield, and from the look on his face, he seemed to understand the situation. With a steely look in his eye, he pointed at Amoonguss.

“My name is Torch the Simisear. You KOed my brother. Prepare to die.”

Several audience members laughed at his antics, even if they couldn’t tell what he was saying. Even Cruise seemed amused.

“That’s a pretty clownish Simisear you got there.”

“It’s what he was born to be, Cruise,” said Jim.

“Torch, let’s cut to the chase. Flamethrower!”

Torch took a deep breath, then spewed a massive flame right at Amoonguss. The fire washed right over it, and Jim heard it cry out.

“I didn’t think your little Poke-shields could block that off,” he said.

The flame subsided, and Amoonguss, its face blackened, coughed out a cloud of soot.

“Use Spore, Amoonguss!” said Cruise.

Amoonguss reared back, ready to spew another Spore attack.

“Oho no, not this time,” said Jim. “Torch, dodge it with Dig!”

As Amoonguss spit its Spore attack, Torch dove into the dirt like a gopher, the cloud of dust dissipating over the hole. With a burst, Torch resurfaced underneath Amoonguss, tossing it into the air.

“Sludge Bomb from above!” Cruise commanded.

Amoonguss pointed one arm down at Torch, and a glob of mud-like stuff shot down toward him. Torch gave a start, realizing the doom he was in, and dove back into the hole, the Sludge Bomb going with him. There was a blast like a bomb, and Torch came out the other side, carried by the explosion. He turned over in the air and landed on his feet, as Amoonguss landed down on its bottom end.

“Not bad,” said Cruise, “but we’re just getting started. Amoonguss, Sludge Bomb!”

Amoonguss formed and launched another ball of sludge at Torch.

“Acrobatics!” Jim commanded.

Torch leaped over the Sludge Bomb, his momentum carrying him straight over to Amoonguss, where he stomped down on his head, like Torrent did with Crustle. However, something quite unexpected happened. Amoonguss gave off what sounded like a sinister chuckle, and a cloud of purple dust released itself into the air, surrounding Torch. Looking sick, he stumbled off, a purple hue surrounding his body.

“Torch! What happened?!”

“Effect Spore,” said Cruise, in a scholarly tone. “Amoonguss’ Ability, one shared by all mushroom Pokemon. If the opponent makes physical contact, they have a chance of becoming poisoned, paralyzed, or put to sleep. From the look of things, it decided to give Torch a dose of poisoning.”

(How can he say that so calmy?!)

“Now, Amoonguss, use Hidden Power!”

Amoonguss spread out its arms, and two glowing green balls of light formed in front of its caps. With a helicopter-like motion, it swung about, sending a shower of multiple balls at Torch, striking him repeatedly and sending him onto his back. There was one last sickly purple flicker, and he fell flat.

“Simisear is unable to battle! Amoonguss wins!”

“You’d be surprised how long it took to perfect that Hidden Power,” said Cruise, “but I think it really rocks, don’t you?”

Jim was stunned. This Amoonguss had effortlessly taken out Torrent, and had even taken out Torch, his ace against Grass and Bug types. It had even come prepared with a specialized Hidden Power!

With a sigh, he recalled the Simisear.

“Good work,” he said. “You did a great job. Now let’s see if we can’t make a turnabout.”

He drew his last Poke Ball.

“Echo, let’s do this!”

In a blaze of light, the trusty Swoobat appeared. Jim had had a hunch that Cruise might throw something with Poison against him, so he swapped Rok back for Echo just to be safe.

“Ah, your good ol’ Swoobat,” said Cruise. “I still remember when he socked it to Miss LeClaire’s Maractus.”

“And he’s gonna sock it to your Amoonguss today,” said Jim, boldly.

“We’ll see,” said Cruise.

“Echo, Air Slash!”

Echo swept his wings up, then clapped them together, sending a wave of buzzsaw-like energy blasts at Amoonguss, sweeping over it and slashing past, making it try to cover itself.

“Hidden Power, Amoonguss!’

Amoonguss sent another wave of green energy balls at Echo. The speedy bat Pokemon flitted this way and that to avoid them, but couldn’t avoid one that eventually caught him in the chest. He stumbled in the air, but was able to regain himself.

“Hang in there, Echo,” Jim encouraged.

“Again!” said Cruise, and Amoonguss sent another volley.

“Shadow Ball!” Jim said.

Still trying to swoop out of the way of the barrage, Echo formed a sparking black and purple ball near his wing, then lobbed it at Amoonguss, catching it in the face and sending it skidding backwards.

“Amoonguss,” said Cruise, decisively, “it’s time we sent Echo to dreamland. Spore!”

Jim cringed. Not again, not now...

Unless...

Amoonguss took in a deep breath, and fired.

“Blow it back, Echo!”

Cruise’s eyes widened in shock. Echo began flapping his wings rapidly, creating a gust that stopped the Spore cloud and sent it flying back at its originator. The dust cloud settled around Amoonguss, causing it to wobble on the spot, its eyes closing sleepily.

“No! Amoonguss!” yelled Cruise.

“Now, Echo, wrap this up with Air Slash!” said Jim, with renewed confidence.

Echo sent another barrage of wind-saws that buffeted and beat Amoonguss repeatedly, sending it crashing heavily onto its back.

“Amoonguss is unable to battle!” said the referee. “Swoobat wins!”

Cruise just stood there with his jaw dropped with some moments, until finally he called back his Amoonguss.

“Looks like the playing field’s evened out now, eh, Cruise?” Jim asked.

“I dunno how you did it, Jim, but Amoonguss was one of my best,” said Cruise. “I gotta give you props for that.”

“Well, it really gave me a run for my money.”

“But now,” Cruise went on, holding up his third Poke Ball, “you have the opportunity of facing my champ, and an old friend of yours.”

“Huh?”

“Go, Serperior!”

In a blaze of light, Cruise’s final Pokemon appeared. It looked like an enormous serpent, pale green in color, though its skin ended in a kind of lapeled collar by its neck, its sharp-snouted head a pale white. It had what looked like a pair of pointed ears, brilliant red eyes, and small leaf-like ‘hands’ at its side. Its tail ended in an ornate, branch-like shape. Jim’s Pokedex was brought out once again.

“Serperior, the Regal Pokemon, and the final evolved form of Snivy. Serperior holds its head high, intimidating smaller Pokemon with the glare of its eye. It only give its all to opponents it deems worthy.”

So this was what June would have finally evolved into. That thing did look incredibly powerful, but he still appreciated the small, cute Snivy he had as his partner and friend.

“So this was the Servine that taught June Aerial Ace,” said Jim, admiringly. “It’s really grown.”

“I know,” said Cruise. “That’s why I thought you’d love to face it as the final challenge in our match.”

“Cruise, it’s my honor,” said Jim, bowing graciously. Serperior raised an intrigued eyebrow.

“Serperior, start with Leaf Blade!”

Serperior whisked its long tail back, the end of which began to glow green, and swung it at Echo, smacking him across the front.

“Take it like a champ, Echo!” Jim encouraged. “Air Slash!”

Echo swept his wings, sending a barrage of wind-blades at Serperior.

“Aerial Ace!”

Swiftly, majestically, almost as if by magic, Serpeior rose into the air and soared toward Echo, swooping and swerving gracefully between the Air Slash blades, as if it were performing a kind of acrobatic swim. It swept straight past, slamming Echo with its tail.

“Sheesh, that thing’s fast,” Jim muttered. “Give it a Shadow Ball, Echo!”

Echo sent another ball of black and purple lightning at Serperior. It did manage to catch it on the side of the face, but it brushed off the impact as if it were a mere snowball pelted at it.

“Ok, Serperior, use Coil!” said Cruise.

Serperior rose into the air until it was perfectly upright on its tail, then began to coil and wind itself, a purple aura surrounding it all the while. Once it had completed, it settled on the ground, the purple aura still glowing around it.

“W-What did that do?” Jim asked, hesitantly.

“Oh, Coil?” said Cruise, casually. “It only raises the user’s Attack, Defense, and accuracy.”

(Oh, is that all?...)

“Now, Serperior, show off your new special move! Dragon Tail!”

Serperior swept its tail back again, the end glowing a brilliant, luminescent blue, and swung it hard at Echo.

“Dodge it!” Jim yelled.

Echo swept upwards, avoiding the tail, but Serperior brought it swinging back again, catching him from behind. He stumbled but kept aloft, though he was already looking pretty battered.

What was Jim to do? This Serperior was quick, knew how to evade and take attacks, knew plenty of moves, and had now buffed itself up. Cruise wasn’t kidding when he said it was his prime Pokemon. How was Echo supposed to get a hit on something so quick?

Something so quick...

Wait, that was it!

“Not gonna call a move, Jim?” asked Cruise. “Then allow me! Serperior, Dragon Tail once again!”

Serperior swung its glowing tail once more, but Jim was ready.

“Echo, dodge and use Thunder Wave!”

Echo swerved away from the incoming tail, then fired a bolt of blue lightning from his body at Serperior. The bolt struck home, and both Trainer and Pokermon’s eyes widened as sparks escaped from Serperior’s body, causing it to give a sudden twitchy jerk.

“Serperior, no!” Cruise shouted.

“Now we’re back in the game!” said Jim. “Echo, use Air Slash!”

Echo flapped his wings mightily, once more sending a wave of wind-saws flying through the air.

“Dodge them, Serperior!” yelled Cruise.

Serperior tried to move, but another burst of sparks caused it to stop, allowing the Air Slash to buffet and bash it.

“Come on, Serperior!” Cruise encouraged in desperation. “Leaf Blade! Dragon Tail! Try anything!”

Serperior lifted its tail, but whatever glow it tried to acquire faded away as more sparks burst all around, and it cringed in pain.

“It was a good run, Cruise, but it’s got to end here,” said Jim. “Echo, Psychic!”

Echo spread his wings wise, a blue fiery aura surrounding his entire body. The same glow surrounded Serperior, who rose slowly into the air, until not even its tail was touching the ground. Then, with an almighty surge, the Regal Pokemon was thrown backward, slamming into the opposite wall, where it slumped in a heap, out cold.

“Serperior is unable to battle!” said the referee. “Swoobat wins, which means the victory goes to Jim Stevens!”

The stands burst into wild applause as Echo flew a victory lap around the stadium, then alighted atop Jim’s head.

“Good work, boy!” Jim said, proudly, as he reached up and stroked his head. “Nicely done.”

Cruise, for his part, sighed and recalled Serperior.

“Well done, old friend,” he said, softly. “You made this a worthy battle.”

“Cruise!”

Cruise looked up to see Jim standing in front of him.

“Thanks a bunch, bud,” he said, holding out his hand. “You really gave me a good match.”

Cruise’s face split into a wide smile, and he gladly shook Jim’s hand.

“Same to you, Jimmy! You were amazing! You’re gonna knock ‘em dead in the next round!”

Jim smiled in return, and the two friends made their way back toward the stands, where their friends were still jabbering excitedly away about what they had just witnessed.

Chapter 42
A Key Player Returns​

“Sigilyph is unable to battle! Zebstrika wins!”

“Man, these battles are getting intense,” said Bianca.

“Small wonder,” said Leanne. “We’re getting close to the end. No one wants to lose now.”

“I certainly don’t,” Jim muttered. “Then again, I’m relieved to have even gotten this far.”

“Oh, would you stop second-guessing yourself?” Cheren lightly chided. “You’ve done amazing so far, and you’re gonna do great in the semifinals.”

“I have that same feeling about you,” said Jim, cracking a grin.

“We’re really coming down to the wire now, everyone!” said Alder, as the last two fighters of the day retired.

“That we are, Mr. Champion,” said Burton. “We’ve come to the semifinals: the final 8 challengers! Hereafter, the rules will be a little different. The battles shall now be 6 against 6, so bring a full team of your best and brightest! Show us some spectacular bouts!”

“And now,” said Alder, “let’s see who will be facing who tomorrow.”

Once more, the faces of the remaining Trainers appeared on the screen. They flipped over, flashed, and flipped back up again, showing that Jim would be facing off against Solomon tomorrow, as the first match of the day. He cast a quick glance at the taciturn Trainer, but his thoughts were evidently elsewhere, as he did not turn around. Still, Jim couldn’t help but feel that he too was assessing this turn of events.

“We’re coming into the home stretch, everyone!” boomed Burton. “Do us proud!”

***​

“Ok, a 6 on 6 match...this is gonna be tough to gauge...”

Jim was pacing up and down the bedroom reserved for him, June sitting on the bed and watching him.

“From what Solomon has shown in his battles, he likes Pokemon of tough and tactical types: Psychic, Ghost, Dark, those that can hit hard or use special maneuvers. That means he’ll either try to strike me down with something swift and powerful, or mess with me before going in for the finishing move. Now, let’s see...Spade can resist Psychic and use X-Scissor for Psychic and Dark types, and Echo has Shadow Ball for Ghost types, but he’s weak to Ghost himself. Maybe-”

“Jim, will you please calm down?” June interrupted. “You’re not going to find the solution by pacing yourself into a frenzy.”

“I know, I know, but this is different territory, June. This isn’t a 3-on-3, it’s a 6-on-6. I have to have exactly the right Pokemon from the get-go. One misstep, and it could jeopardize my whole strategy. He hasn’t shown me every Pokemon he has, whereas I’ve left my entire strategy open for him to exploit.”

“I can see why you’d be tense,” said June, patiently, “but you’re overreacting. Even if he’s seen how most of the team plays, you can still surprise him. Besides, it doesn’t always come down to type, you know. I’m surprised you need to be reminded of that.”

At last, Jim stopped pacing. He turned and looked into her clear, calm eyes, full of wisdom, and finally smiled. He went and picked her up as he sat down with her.

“You’re right, June,” he said. “just like always. I don’t think you’ve ever been wrong about anything.”

“Sure I have,” said June, smiling in her turn. “I was wrong about you when we first met.”

The smile faded a little from Jim’s face, but not for a disagreeable reason. No, he was reflecting on just how long ago it was that he and June had actually become partners. It seemed almost an eternity since that eventful day, with images of Tranquill and raging flames forever burned into his mind.

“What’s the matter?” June asked.

“Oh, I was just remembering the day we first met. I can still vaguely feel where you smacked my face with your tail.”

June giggled softly. “I’ll bet Oshawott still remembers the few times I smacked him.”

“You always were a little charmer,” Jim joked, gently prodding her little belly.

She laughed, then, without warning, snaked her vines out and began tickling Jim’s sides. He burst into a fit of laughter and fell back upon the bed as June moved her vines this way and that around him, too quick for him to prevent.

At last she stopped, and she just lay there on Jim’s chest, gazing at him, as he did the same.

“How did I ever deserve a great Pokemon like you?” he asked, stroking her back.

“Because you’re a great Trainer,” she replied.

“You have to take into account, though, that nearly all my team acquirements were from their own volition. Look at Torch and Torrent. Look at Spade. Even Echo let himself get caught.”

“But you did manage to catch and tame two unruly Pokemon: Jolt and Croco.”

“Heh, true, can’t argue with that. I wonder what Croco’s up to now. It’s been a few months since I left him with Clay.”

“I’m sure he’s living his dream, and paying his debt to society,” said June. “He has you to thank for all that, after all.”

She bent forward and licked the tip of his nose. Jim smiled and scratched behind her head, making her close her eyes like a contented cat.

They were interrupted, however, when there came a knock at the door. June got up so Jim could sit up, a curious look on his face.

“Who is it?” he called.

“Special delivery for Mr. Jim Stevens!” came a gruff, streetwise voice.

Jim and June looked at each other.

“Did you order something?” she asked.

“No, did you?” he asked.

“Certainly not.”

Jim got up and opened the door. What he saw made him jump back in astonishment, and he heard June gasp behind him.

There, standing in the doorway, arms folded, smirking, was Croco!

“Croco!” Jim gasped out.

“Hiya, Jimmy boy,” said Croco. “You get yourself a tan since I last saw ya?”

He tilted his head to look past Jim and see June, who was sitting, mouth agape.

“Hey, June! Lookin’ good as always.”

“I ju- I can’t even- How did-” Jim stammered, looking completely astounded. “What are you doing here? I thought you were with Clay!”

“I was. We were watchin’ the tournament together. You’re doin’ pretty good, but let’s face it, you’ve lost a bit of your touch when you left me with Clay. So, bein’ the generous Krokorok that I am, I decided to come up here and lend ya my abilities. I’ve got a new trick or two up my sleeve, and you ain’t gonna be sorry for havin’ them.”

He reached out and pressed something cold into Jim’s hand.

It was a Poke Ball. Croco’s Poke Ball.

“‘Course,” Croco went on, “Clay wants me back when the tournament’s over, which I doubt’ll be a big problem. Junior’s finally learning to wise up and act more his age, so he’s pullin’ his weight around. So, Jimmy, whaddya say?”

Jim could do nothing but stare blankly at Croco for several moments. Was this for real? Croco was coming back to the team, to help him during the League? It was too good to be true.

“...What do I say?” he finally said, gripping the ball tightly. “I say you’ve always been welcome, old friend!”

He clapped a hand on Croco’s shoulder, beaming, and Croco merely grinned and gripped Jim’s arm in a brotherly way. June smiled warmly.

“I’m sure the rest of the team’ll be thrilled to see you back. They’ve missed you.”

“Ah, I gotta admit, I missed you lugs too. You’re all a bunch of sentimentalists, but that ain’t gotta be a bad thing.”

Laughing, Jim took out his Poke Balls and tossed them up, letting out Echo, Missy, Torch, Torrent, and Spade. They all stared in amazement at Croco, who was still grinning smugly.

“Croco!” said Torch. “Y-You’re back!”

“Surprised?” asked Croco. “You guys need all the help you can get in the big leagues, so here I am.”

“I knew you couldn’t stay away for long,” said Torrent.

“Ah, shut it, hippie,” Croco grumbled.

“Mr. Croco!” gasped out Spade, pushing his way forward. “Ah didn’t think Ah’d see you again so soon!”

Croco seemed to register Spade for the first time, and his jaw dropped.

“Get outta here,” he muttered. “Kid?? Is that you??”

“Sure is,” said Spade, smiling. “All thanks to Mr. Jim.”

“Ha!” barked Croco, elated. “Y’see? I knew you were the right one for the kid, Jimmy boy! You got him to evolve into an Excadrill! Oho, this is dynamite! Think of the damage we’re gonna do out there, kid!”

Jim was smiling from ear to ear. It was like a member of his family had come back, and everything was complete and whole once more. He didn’t see how they were going to fail tomorrow. He wondered why he had even been worried...

***​

“Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to the semifinals of the Victory Mountain Conference! We only have 8 Trainers left, and all are eager to take home the gold! Our first match today shall be Jim Stevens vs. Solomon Wright!”

Before yesterday, Jim might have entered the battlefield with trembling limbs. Now, while he did still feel a slight shake in his step, it was from a kind of nervous excitement rather than panic. He and Solomon both took their places.

“I always had a hunch that you and I would duke it out before this tournament was done,” said Solomon. “Let’s make this worth it.”

“Wouldn’t have it any other way,” said Jim, and both drew their first Poke Balls.

“Gothitelle, go!”

‘Go, Echo!”

Jim’s trusty Swoobat appeared, as well as a tall Pokemon Jim had yet to see. It had the purple face, blue eyes, red lips, and black hair of a Gothorita (though its was arrayed in star-like points with a bow on top), but its body was garbed in a floor-length black dress with long sleeves. Jim brought out his Pokedex.

“Gothitelle, the Astral Body Pokemon, and the evolved form of Gothorita. Its Psychic powers are strong enough to distort space around it, which brings stars light-years away into visibility. It can sense its Trainer’s life span, and laments when it does.”

“Psychic for Psychic, eh?” asked Solomon. “This should prove interesting.”

Jim wasn’t sure he liked the calculating look in his eye as he said this...

“Gothitelle, Trick Room!”

Gothitelle raised its arms, a blue glow emanating from its body. All at once, with lines crisscrossing in midair to connect together, a kind of cube-shaped barrier surrounded the battlefield. glimmering with a pale glow. Jim and Echo both stared around in dumbfoundment.

“What’s going on?” Jim asked, his voice slightly distorted and echo-prone in the chamber. He also noticed that the movements of Echo’s wings seemed to have slowed, as if he was in a video moving at half-speed.

“Trick Room reverses the rule of order,” said Solomon, calmly. “The slowest are the first to act, while the swiftest are left in the dust.”

Jim’s head reeled as he tried to make sense of the riddle, but he had sense enough to call for an attack.

“Echo, Shadow Ball!”

Echo opened his wings, a black and purple ball of energy forming in front of him. He brought one wing back, and smacked it like a volleyball right at Gothitelle. However, the way it moved, it was oddly sluggish, as though it was being viewed through an underwater filter.

“Dodge,” said Solomon.

Gothitelle sidestepped in such a way that made it look like it was moving at lightning speed, leaving after-images behind it. The Shadow Ball struck against the side of the barrier and vanished.

“Whoa...” Jim breathed.

“Now, Thunderbolt!” Solomon commanded.

Before Jim could even register astonishment at such a command being given, Gothitelle let loose a bolt of yellow electricity from its body, striking Echo in the air on the spot. He let out a cry of pain, and his flapping became much more feeble as smoke rose from his zapped body.

“Echo, no!” Jim cried.

He couldn’t lose any Pokemon this early in the fight. It would mean bad news...

“Use Air Slash!”

Echo raised his wings again, and flapped them as hard as he could, though the effort seemed to take a lot out of him. He managed to send two buzzsaws of wind at Gothitelle, but it merely stepped out of the way of these, as well.

“Thunderbolt, once again,” said Solomon.

Gothitelle sent another bolt at Echo, blasting him and sending him straight to the ground, where he crumpled, unable to get back up. The referee’s voice came through the barrier, but it sounded muffled and distorted.

“Swoobat is unable to battle! Gothitelle wins!”

Jim was dumbstruck. How could Echo have been taken out so effortlessly? He knew things were going to get tougher, but he never imagined like this...He recalled Echo, nonetheless.

“Ok, gotta think,” he muttered. “With this Trick Room in effect, slow is fast and fast is slow...I need to use a Pokemon who’s not quite so fast, but can still do what I need...Ah!”

He drew out his second Poke Ball.

“Spade, go for it!”

The Excadrill appeared in a burst of light. The walls of the barrier fluctuated briefly, as if admitting the new arrival. Solomon made no note of the new arrival, but Jim knew his options would now be limited. If this Gothitelle did have a Psychic attack, it wouldn’t be much use, and Spade was immune to its Thunderbolt attack. Of course, it could have a move prepared to combat such an eventuality as this.

“Begin!” came the referee’s voice.

“Spade, Drill Run!” said Jim.

Spade enclosed himself within his claws and launched himself at Gothitelle, spinning like a drill.

“Psyshock!” commanded Solomon.

Gothitelle held its hands forward. A glowing blue and purple ball appeared between its palms, then launched at Spade. There was an explosion when it struck, and Spade unfolded from the force of the blow, right in front of Gothitelle.

“Perfect,” Jim muttered. Then, he shouted, “X-Scissor!”

Spade quickly crossed his claws in front of his chest, then flung them apart, striking Gothitelle across the torso in a way that left a flaming purple ‘X’ where he had struck. Solomon raised his eyebrows in an intrigued way.

“Clever,” he said. “You had a backup even if Drill Run failed. Still, this battle has only just started. Gothitelle, Brick Break!”

Gothitelle drew one arm back, its forearm glowing red.

“Counter it with Metal Claw!” Jim shouted.

Spade swung one arm forward, the claws on that arm shining with a metallic glimmer. The two arms collided with a clang, and the two began straining against each other for supremacy.

“Slash!” Jim ordered.

Spade pulled back his other arm, the claws on it elongating and glowing white. Then, he struck at Gothitelle, knocking it away.

“Brick Break, once again!” said Solomon.

Gothitelle charged at Spade, its arm glowing red once more.

“Dodge, Spade, and use X-Scissor!”

With unexpected agility, given the circumstances, Spade sidestepped, causing Gothitelle to miss, then struck with both claws, slashing them across each other to make another fiery X. Gothitelle was tossed across the field, and it crumpled in a heap. The walls of the barrier flickered, then vanished, a sign that its master was no longer in control.

“Gothitelle is unable to battle! Excadrill wins!”

Still showing no sign of surprise, Solomon recalled Gothitelle.

“A successful comeback, Jim,” he said. “An eye for an eye, one might say. However, we are right where we started once more, so the contest begins anew. Conkeldurr, go!”

He tossed his next Poke Ball, revealing a large and rather intimidating Pokemon. It had a bulky torso and a rather small lower body. It had tan skin, a bulbous nose, heavy brows, a small gray beard, an odd protrusion atop its head, pink bands around its shoulders, and veins that stood out on its body. It seemed to be supporting itself on a pair of concrete pillars, which its hands were balanced upon. Jim took out his Pokedex.

“Conkeldurr, the Muscular Pokemon, and the evolved form of Gurdurr. It is believed to have taught humans the art of creating concrete more than 2,000 years ago. It uses concrete pillars as walking sticks and tools for battle.”

“A Fighting type,” Jim mutered, grimly. “This won’t be pretty, but we have to go as long as we can.”

“Spade, use Slash!”

Spade lunged for Conkeldurr, claws extending and glowing white.

“Conkeldurr, Bulk Up!” said Solomon.

Conkeldurr let go of its stone pillars, which stood in place where they were, and crossed its arms over its chest. Its body became outlined in a red aura, and with a sudden surge, it seemed to swell, its muscles tightening, veins standing out on its brawny arms. Spade struck, but it didn’t even flinch from the blow.

“Oh, boy,” Jim said, grimly expecting something bad to happen.

“DynamicPunch!” Solomon ordered.

Conkeldurr uncrossed its arms to draw one fist back, which began to glow with a fiery red-orange light, then let loose a wicked punch to Spade’s snout, sending him flying hard across the field.

“Spade! You ok?!” Jim shouted.

Spade got back to his feet, but something was wrong. His footsteps were unsteady, and there was a disoriented, unfocused look in his eyes. Jim worried that the punch had really knocked him for a loop.

“Spade? What happened?”

“An unfortunate but effective side effect of DynamicPunch,” said Solomon. “It leaves the victim confused.”

(Confused? Great, that’s just what I need...)

“We’ll have to tough through it, Spade. Use Drill Run!”

Spade enclosed himself into his drill shape, but instead of charging for Conkeldurr, he went straight underground. A slight smile curled Solomon’s lips.

“A Dig-Drill Run combination? Unintentional or not, I’d call that clever. Unfortunately, I prepared for even a subterranean assault. Conkeldurr, Earthquake!”

Conkeldurr gripped the tops of its pillars again, raised them both up, and slammed them into the ground like piledrivers. The ground began to shake violently, and Spade was tossed up into the air, unfurling from his drill form.

“Spade! No!”

“Now, another DynamicPunch!” Solomon commanded.

Conkeldurr raised its pillars again and slammed them down, but this time, it was to jettison it straight into the air, straight for Spade. It drew its arm back, its fist glowing once more, and socked him hard across the face, sending him crashing to the ground with a sickening thud. The Subterrene Pokemon lay where he was, out cold, while Conkeldurr landed deftly on its feet and returned to its concrete supports.

“Excadrill is unable to battle! Conkeldurr wins!”

Jim could feel a sense of dread settling over him as he recalled Spade. Solomon had gained an early lead, and he was chipping away at his best Pokemon. If he didn’t think of something soon, he was going to lose...

(I’ve never felt so on-the-edge before. Solomon doesn’t kid around. I’ve got to be smart with my next choice...)

“Rok, go!”

In a blaze of light from his next Poke Ball, the Archeops swooped into the air, giving a piercing crow into the crowded air. Solomon smirked.

“Now things begin to get interesting,” he muttered.

“Rok, use Dragon Pulse!” Jim ordered.

With a screech, Rok belched forth a stream of blue dragon fire. Conkeldurr merely raised its pillars and plunked them down in front of itself, creating a barrier that blocked off the attack.

“Clever,” Jim muttered.

“Stone Edge!” said Solomon.

Conkeldurr moved its pillars apart again, then crossed its arms over its chest, two rings of floating stones appearing around it. It then threw its hands forward, the stones soaring straight for Rok, buffeting and striking against him.

“Now, DynamicPunch!”

Conkeldurr once again launched itself into the air, this time aiming for Rok, fist drawn back and flowing red.

“Not this time!” said Jim. “Rok, dodge and use Dragon Pulse!”

Though battered by the Stone Edge attack, Rok had enough sense to strafe to the right, avoiding the dangerous punch, and unleash another blast of dragon fire upon Conkeldurr, this time connecting. Conkeldurr was thrown back onto the ground, landing heavily.

“Give it another Stone Edge!” said Solomon.

“Counter with Rock Slide!” said Jim.

As Conkeldurr summoned another swarm of swirling stones, Rok spread his wings, an intense glow emanating from his body. Just as Conkeldurr launched another barrage of Stone Edge rocks, boulders materialized in the air and came raining down, shattering to bits when hitting the Stone Edge, but also managing to neutralize many of the projectiles. Conkeldurr found itself on the receiving end of a blow from a rock or two.

“This can only go for so long, Jim,” said Solomon. “There can be only one. Conkeldurr, Bulk Up, then use DynamicPunch!”

Conkeldurr braced itself once again, a fierce fiery glow surrounding its body.

“Rok, stop it, quick!” Jim yelled. “Dragon Pulse!”

Rok launched another blast of flames at Conkeldurr, but whether it did damage or not, he couldn’t tell, as Conkeldurr’s pose did not alter in the slightest. In the next instant, it leapt straight for Rok.

“Aerial Ace!” Jim commanded in desperation.

With the speed of a launched arrow, Rok swooped straight for Conkeldurr, ready to intercept, and Conkeldurr lunged out with its fist...

There was a harsh, concussive explosion that rocked the air upon the impact, shaking the ground below the two Pokemon and jarring their Trainers. From below, it was impossible to say what had happened, as the two hung in the air, seemingly frozen by their collision.

However, all of a sudden, the two came plummeting straight to the ground, both out cold.

The match up was a draw, and Jim was behind 3 against 4. It didn't look good...

Chapter 43
A Crucial Turnabout​

“Archeops and Conkeldurr are both unable to battle! This match is a tie!”

Both Trainers recalled their Pokemon, Jim still in a state of anxiety. He had taken down two of Solomon’s Pokemon so far, but at the cost of three of his. If he didn’t hit upon an advantage soon, he was going to lose...

“Liepard, you’re next!” said Solomon, throwing his next ball.

His Liepard, which Jim had seen several times before, appeared on the field, its lithe body tensed and ready.

Jim instinctively felt around on his belt, but was stopped by a light pressure on his shoulder. He turned his gaze on June, situated at her usual perch, stoic and calm as ever. He looked into her clear eyes and knew what she was saying: she would be the next to go up.

“You sure?” Jim asked.

She nodded.

“Then let’s do it, partner,” said Jim, with a smile.

She sprang from his shoulder and took her place on the field, staring down Liepard, who let out a warning growl.

“June?” asked Solomon. “I would have suspected her to be your final choice, your secret weapon, as it were.”

“When she knows it’s time to battle, I’m in no position to deny it,” said Jim.

“Good answer,” said Solomon, approvingly.

“Liepard, Hone Claws!”

Liepard’s claws extended from its paws, which it then proceeded to sharpen against each other, with a noise like nails on a chalkboard. Jim and June both flinched from the sound, though the former remembered Hone Claws being used against the latter before...

“June, use Energy Ball!”

June, shaking off the horrible sound, raised her paw, a green and yellow ball of light forming in her palm. She lobbed it straight at Liepard, who was still in the midst of sharpening its claws, and struck it full in the face, stopping it.

“Shadow Claw!” said Solomon.

Liepard snarled and raised one paw, which began to glow a smoky, ghastly purple. It then lunged straight for June, the glow extending into a kind of jagged shadow of a claw.

“Dodge it, June!”

June dashed to one side, narrowly avoiding the claw strike, but was not so lucky on the second one, being tossed away by the powerful feline’s attack.

“All right, June, use Aerial Ace!” said Jim,

“Sucker Punch, Liepard!” said Solomon.

Before June could even move to attack, Liepard sped forward like lightning and hit her in the stomach with one of its paws. She flew backwards a few feet before regaining her stance.

“Try Energy Ball, then!” said Jim.

“Sucker Punch, once more!”

Once again, before June could even move, Liepard lunged forward and socked June in the belly with its paw, ceasing her attack.

“Leaf-”

“Sucker Punch!”

And again, June was stopped by Liepard’s cheap shot.

“You can’t land a hit on me, Jim,” said Solomon. “Liepard’s Sucker Punch will make sure of that.”

Jim grimaced, weighing his options. Liepard had increased its fighting power with Hone Claws, and was now preventing June from getting many hits on it with Sucker Punch. It was going to box her in and keep her from acting at all until she was too weak to fight back.

Unless...

“June,” Jim began, “use-”

“Sucker Punch!” Solomon shouted.

“...Toxic!” Jim concluded.

Solomon’s eyes widened, realizing he had just been had.

This time, June was able to evade Liepard’s strike, and she raised her paw, a purple ball of bubbling slime forming in her palm. She lobbed it at Liepard, where it struck it in the face, and the poison seeped in. It would have been difficult to tell with Liepard’s purple coloring, but Jim could see that the poisoning had succeeded when he saw the yellow areas on Liepard glimmer with the sickly hue, not to mention the overall droop in its usually haughty face.

“Now, where were we?” Jim asked, the smile back on his face. “Ah, yes. June, Leaf Storm!”

June, smiling herself, jumped into the air, a swirling cloud of leaves surrounding her lithe form. This cloud then launched itself at Liepard, battering and buffeting it with a barrage of razor-sharp leaves. Solomon still did not look deterred.

“You have managed to get yourself back on your feet, Jim,” he said, “but there is one final test my Liepard must impose on you. Hyper Beam!”

Drained and poisoned though it was, Liepard raised its head, mouth wide open, and fired a golden-white beam of light from within, straight for June. Jim, however, wasn’t fazed.

“Dodge it with Aerial Ace, then launch off an Energy Ball!” he said.

With the swiftness and elegance of a bird, June swooped upwards, carried by the momentum of her own energy, the Hyper Beam shooting past and striking the wall behind. In the air, she formed another glowing green and yellow ball and launched it downwards. Liepard was hit full-force and thrown across the field, where it landed on its side. It attempted to raise its head, but there was another glow from the poison, and it fell flat.

“Liepard is unable to battle!” said the referee. “Snivy wins!”

Jim felt a surge of elation go through his veins. They were now even, three to three! He was gaining ground!

Wordlessly, Solomon recalled Liepard.

“Impressive,” he finally said. “We now stand as equals once again. You seem to have made the right choice in sending June out.”

He drew his next Poke Ball.

“But you may have to reevaluate that choice for my next fighter. Chandelure!”

In a burst of light, a truly eerie Pokemon appeared floating in the air. It resembled an ornate chandelier, with a spherical head or body and long black arms tipped with purple flames. A larger flame was emanating from its head, its face striped and possessing a pair of blank yellow eyes. Jim brought out his Pokedex.

“Chandelure, the Luring Pokemon, and the evolved form of Lampent. Chandelure uses the swaying flames on its arms to hypnotize opponents. Being consumed in its flames burns away a mortal’s spirit.”

“Just when I keep thinking they couldn’t get creepier,” Jim muttered. Aloud, he said, “June, this one’s a Ghost/Fire type. Take a break, all right?”

“Just what I was hoping you’d say,” said June, gratefully, and she stepped off the battlefield as Jim took out a Poke Ball.

“Torrent, this one’s all yours!”

The Simipour appeared in a blaze of light, not at all unnerved by the creepy Ghost type floating above him.

“Smart move,” said Solomon. “I know you’re bold, but certainly not boneheaded.”

“Chandelure, use Shadow Ball!”

A ball of purple and black energy appeared in front of Chandelure’s face, then fired toward Torrent.

“Acrobatics!” Jim commanded.

Torrent leaped upwards and forwards, evading the ball, and turned his momentum into a rapid succession of somersaults, slamming against Chandelure as he did so. However, before he could reach the ground, Solomon shouted,

“Energy Ball!”

This time, a green and yellow ball, just like June’s, appeared in front of Chandelure, before firing at Torrent, blasting him right into the ground.

“Chandelure can learn that?!” Jim spluttered.

“There is no limit to what forces a ghost may call upon,” said Solomon, cryptically, as Torrent got back to his feet.

“Hang in there, bud,” said Jim, consolingly. “Use Ice Beam!”

Torrent cupped his paws, a ball of ice blue light forming between them, then thrust them forward, shooting a bolt of freezing lightning at Chandelure.

“Melt it with Flamethrower!” said Solomon.

The purple flame coming from Chandelure’s head flared up and snaked around, as if alive, to fly right at the Ice Beam, striking it as it came and melting it away, causing a heavy cloud of steam to hang over the field. Jim couldn’t even see the other side of the field through it, as it was fogging up his glasses.

“Energy Ball!”

Another green and yellow orb of light shot at Torrent, through the mist.

“Dodge it!” Jim yelled, instinctively.

Torrent leaped into the air, and Jim heard and felt the small explosion of the Energy Ball impacting the ground.

“Psychic!” Solomon called through the evaporating mist.

A piercing blue glow penetrated the fog, outlining Chandelure where it floated. Up in the air, the same glow surrounded Torrent, where he floated, frozen, looking startled. Chandelure’s eyes glowed, and Torrent came rocketing down, slamming into the dirt of the battlefield with a sickening thud. Many people in the stands groaned.

“Now, throw him back up, and use Energy Ball!”

Chandelure glowed blue once more, surrounding Torrent in the same glow, and threw him violently upwards. Then, with the same rapidity, it formed and launched another Energy Ball attack. Jim, in desperation, yelled,

“Torrent! Hydro Pump!”

Torrent seemed to snap to attention, as he threw his paws forward, and a surging channel of water blasted from between their palms. It struck the Energy Ball as it was soaring upwards and knocked it aside, continuing onwards to Chandelure, who could only look up in what Jim assumed was astonishment. The Hydro Pump splashed over it, completely overwhelming it and creating a puddle on the battlefield. When Torrent landed back down, Chandelure had floated slowly down to ground level, its flames extremely diminished, the glow in its eyes faded.

“Chandelure is unable to battle! Simipour wins!”

Jim felt an even greater surge go through him. He had gained the lead! Solomon was one of his toughest opponents yet, but he was quickly regaining his ground.

Solomon recalled Chandelure, but didn’t say anything this time. He didn’t look angry, nor did he look distressed. He merely tossed out his next Poke Ball, revealing...a Golurk.

Jim gulped as he craned his neck to look up at the 9-foot Pokemon looming over Torrent, gazing down with its expressionless (and, let’s be honest, faceless) face.

“All right, Torrent, go for another Hydro Pump!”

Torrent conjured up and let loose another torrential blast of water from its hands.

“Into the air, Golurk!” said Solomon.

Golurk’s legs suddenly disappeared into its torso, and with a roar like a jet, it jettisoned itself skyward via flames from within, evading the Hydro Pump assault.

“From on high, Magnitude!”

Golurk let its legs back out and came plummeting straight down, slamming down hard with its fist. The ground shook violently, and Torrent was tossed up into the air once again.

“Torrent!” Jim yelled. “Give it another aerial Hydro Pump!”

Once again, from his unconventional position, Torrent fired another surge of water, which hit Golurk hard in the chest, causing it to stumble back heavily. It regained its footing quickly, however.

“Hammer Arm!” said Solomon.

Golurk crouched and leaped into the air to meet the descending Torrent, raised its arm, which began to glow white, then slammed it straight down on Torrent’s skull, throwing him straight to the ground with the speed of a bullet, only adding to the crater he had already made from Chandelure’s Psychic.

“Torrent! Are you all right?” Jim asked.

Torrent began to shakily get to his feet, but it seemed Solomon was going to have none of that.

“Golurk, Heavy Slam!”

Golurk raised its arms as if in a victory pose, becoming outlined in a yellowish glow, and them came hurtling straight down toward Torrent, shoulder first. With a sickening, icy plunge in his stomach, Jim knew what was about to happen...

“TORRENT!!” he screamed.

Too late.

With a ground-shaking, earth-shattering slam, Golurk impacted the ground, the force of its blow making everyone jump in their seats in the stands, and causing a cloud of dust to hang over the spot where it had touched down. Slowly, with the smooth movements of a well-oiled machine, Golurk raised itself back up, stepping back to its side of the field. The dust dissipated, and there lay Torrent, in an immense hole in the ground, flattened and unconscious.

“Simipour is unable to battle!” said the referee. “Golurk wins!”

Jim, jaw still gaping from what he had just been forced to witness, recalled Torrent. The fact that he could even survive such an assault, such a massive blow, was a miracle in itself...

“June,” he said quietly, turning to his partner, “this may sound nuts, but do you think you could handle a round 2? Golurk may be huge, but you’re faster and a more difficult target. Remember Clay’s Seismitoad?”

“I do,” said June. “I’m ready.”

She stepped forward to take her place. To a sane mind, this would seem laughable, as Golurk dwarfed her by a considerable amount, standing like a colossus over the little Grass Snake Pokemon. Solomon made no comment on the matter, but smiled in an almost amused way.

“Begin!” shouted the referee.

“Golurk, Shadow Punch!” said Solomon.

Golurk pulled its arm back and threw it forward. While it seemed to stop short, it actually seemed to go further on, as a ghostly afterimage.

“Dodge it, June, and use Energy Ball!”

June jumped swiftly out of the way, as the fist slammed into the ground, and tossed another green ball of light, hitting Golurk square in the chest.

“Magnitude!” said Solomon.

Golurk raised its fist, ready to slam it against the ground.

“Aerial Ace!” Jim shouted.

June once more swept into the air, just as Golurk slammed the ground, missing her.

“Now use Energy Ball once again!”

June formed and launched yet another Energy Ball attack, this time hitting Golurk in the face.

“Keep it together, Golurk,” said Solomon. “Heavy Slam!”

Golurk raised its arms again, a yellow glow surrounding it, before charging for June.

“Keep it back, June! Leaf Storm!”

June swept her arm in a graceful fashion despite the peril she was in, another cloud of leaves forming around her. With a wave of her paw, the leaves shot from the cloud and struck against Golurk, who strained against the onslaught.

“Don’t let up, June!” Jim said. “Keep throwing them!”

June launched barrage after barrage of leaves to keep Golurk away. The sweat stood out on her face, and her teeth were bared as she threw out her onslaughts. It looked like it was taking every ounce of strength she had. Golurk’s aura had dissipated as it slowed to a stop, and it was becoming overcome by the assault of leaves.

The storm finally ended, and Golurk, scratched and buffeted, swayed where it stood, while June, sweating and haggard-looking, panted where she stood. Leaf Storm had drained her of her reserves.

Finally, Golurk began to topple forward, but Solomon suddenly shouted, forcefully, yet not in a distressed way,

“Golurk, Shadow Punch!”

Jim was too surprised to even react. As Golurk fell, with the last of its strength, it threw its fist forward, sending a shadowy punch that socked June and knocked her flat.

“JUNE!” Jim yelled.

With a thunderous crash, Golurk collapsed onto its front, while June lay where she was, unmoving.

“Snivy and Golurk are both unable to battle!” said the referee. “This match-up is a tie!”

Solomon recalled Golurk while Jim hurried over to pick up June.

“Are you ok, girl?” he asked.

Her eyes opened slowly.

“Yes,” she breathed.

“I’m sorry, June. I shouldn’t have ordered so many Leaf Storm attacks. I knew they’d drain you, but I was scared Golurk was going to crush you.”

A faint smile appeared on June’s face.

“Then you don’t need to apologize. It was the only way. Your secret weapon should handle him, now.”

Jim nodded and gently set June to the side before turning to face Solomon.

“I must commend you, Jim,” said Solomon. “Here we are, with both of us down to our last resources. You’ve proven to me throughout this battle why you have deserved coming this far. If I were to lose to anyone in this competition, I’ll be satisfied it was to you.”

“You don’t know that I’ll win,” said Jim. “Chances are you saved your best for last.”

“True, but we shall see if I was wise in holding it back for this long,” said Solomon, drawing his final Poke Ball. Jim did the same.

“Then let’s make this a bout to remember,” said Jim. “Croco, go!”

He tossed the ball, and in a burst of light, the streetwise Krokorok appeared, arms folded, looking smug and calm.

“Reuniclus, go!” said Solomon.

The Pokemon that appeared had a very unusual composition. It was pale green, with black eyes, a small body with stubby limbs, but that was hardly the weirdest thing about it. Its entire form was shrouded within a green, blobby substance, which made extensions for its detached ‘ears’ and a pair of long, club-like arms with three fingers each, each arm containing small floating chunks or orbs within, as if they were a minimalistic bone structure. Jim brought out his Pokedex.

“Reuniclus, the Multiplying Pokemon, and the evolved form of Duosion. This highly intelligent Pokemon controls arms with the strength to crush rocks. When it joins hands with another, it amplifies its psychic powers.”

“This is the end result of your faithful Duosion, huh?” Jim asked, remembering the Pokemon that battled the Guys’ Palpitoad in Nimbasa.

“Indeed,” said Solomon. “He has become my star player, as I shall now demonstrate. I must say, though, I don’t recall you having a Krokorok.”

“He’s technically on break, since I traded him to Clay,” said Jim. “He didn’t want to miss out on the fun.”

Croco grinned.

“Then let’s make this fun, Reuniclus,” said Solomon.

Reuniclus swung its arms into a battle-ready pose.

“Croco, use Stone Edge!”

Croco raised one arm, and a swirling cloud of jagged stones appeared, which hurtled toward Reuniclus.

“Psychic!” said Solomon.

Reuniclus’ entire body and eyes glowed blue, and the stones slowed to a stop in front of its face, before reversing and flying straight back at Croco, who shielded his face with his arms from the onslaught.

“Now, Focus Blast!”

Reuniclus brought both hands forward, a shining blue orb forming between their palms. This ball launched toward Croco, who was just unshielding his face.

“Dodge it, Croco, and use Crunch!”

Croco bounded into the air, the tip of his long tail just avoiding being struck by the Focus Blast, and dove for Reuniclus, fangs bared. He sunk them deep into its arm, making the Psychic-type cry out in pain.

“Knock it away, Reuniclus! Dizzy Punch!”

Reuniclus pulled its other arm back, the fist glowing an odd rainbow color, then struck, socking Croco in the snout and knocking him away. He landed on his feet, but awkwardly. He shook his head, but Jim could feel something was wrong. He was wobbling this way and that, and his eyes looked unfocused. And that’s when it hit him: Solomon had initialized confusion again.

“Excellent,” said Solomon, complacently. “Now, Reuniclus, Focus Blast!”

Reuniclus formed and launched another blue sphere, this time hitting true and knocking the dazed Croco for a loop.

“Croco! You all right?”

“Anyone get the license number on that bus?” he mumbled as he got back to his feet. He seemed to have regained his senses.

“Close enough. Use Stone Edge again!”

Croco summoned another cloud of jagged stones and hurled them at Reuniclus.

“Psychic, once again!”

Reuniclus glowed blue once more, and the Stone Edge stones stopped and made for Croco again. Jim, however, said,

“Bat them back with your new Iron Tail!”

Solomon’s eyes widened briefly at this revelation. Sure enough, Croco swung his tail back, with it now glowing with a silver, metallic sheen, then swiped it forward, striking the oncoming stones right back at Reuniclus, as if it were a game of tennis. The stones struck against it, making it flinch and yelp.

“Clever,” said Solomon. “I had made preparations for Reuniclus fighting Dark types with Focus Blast, but I will admit I was not expecting a redirect of projectile force after a prior redirect. You’ve made this battle extremely entertaining.”

“Heh, thanks,” said Jim.

“But we are not through yet,” Solomon went on. “Reuniclus, Focus Blast!”

Reuniclus cupped its hands again.

“Croco, jump and use Crunch!” Jim shouted, preemptively.

Croco lunged, fangs bared. A thin smile played about Solomon’s lips.

“Switch to Flash Cannon, into the air!”

Now it was Jim’s turn to feel surprised at this change of events. The ball in Reuniclus’ palms was not blue, but silver-white, and it launched a beam of the same substance straight up at Croco, blasting him directly and knocking him out of the air.

“Tricky,” Jim muttered, as Croco got back to his feet. “I guess that was a little cocky of me.”

“Now go in for another Dizzy Punch!” said Solomon.

Reuniclus floated straight for Croco, swinging one arm in a windmill fashion, glowing its odd rainbow color.

(If that hits Croco, he’ll just get confused again! I have to interrupt it!)

“Earthquake!” Jim shouted.

Croco, snapping to attention, raised his tail and slapped it hard against the ground, which began to shake violently. It might not have struck Reuniclus, floating in the air, if a jagged piece of earth didn’t spring up and hit it from underneath, throwing it into the air. The glow faded from its fist.

“Reuniclus, Focus Blast!” Solomon yelled, undeterred.

Reuniclus turned itself around, brewing another Focus Blast in its palms.

“Croco, knock it back with Iron Tail!” Jim said,

The Blast fired, and Croco, tail metallic once again, swung at it and sent it straight back, making it explode against its face. It began to drop toward the ground, and for the first time, Solomon had a grimace on his face, as if he had not anticipated this.

“Now let’s finish this, Croco!” said Jim. “Crunch!”

Croco lunged straight into the air, latched onto Reuniclus’ arm with his fangs, swung him around and launched him straight downward from the recoil of letting it go. Reuniclus plummeted straight down and fell flat against the ground with a crash, while the Desert Croc Pokemon landed on his feet. Reuniclus lay where it had been struck down, out cold.

It was over.

“Reuniclus is unable to battle!” said the referee. “Krokorok wins, which means the winner is Jim Stevens!”

The crowd, momentarily stunned, erupted into wild cheers. Leanne and Bianca were bouncing up and down, waving wildly and screaming at the top of their lungs, while Mrs. Stevens, Professor Juniper, and Cruise looked like they were clapping hard enough to blister their hands. Cheren, Nigel, and the Guy’s satisfied smiles were all the praises needed from them. Jim felt his elation explode within him. He had done it. He had made it past the 6 on 6 against Solomon, thanks to the timely arrival of Croco.

The aforementioned Pokemon chose that time to step forward, grinning broadly despite a few bruises. Trainer and Pokemon shared a high-five.

“Good to have you back, Croco,” Jim said. “You really came through for us.”

“Course I did, Jimmy,” said Croco. “I wasn’t gonna let what I learned go to waste on ya.”

Solomon, for his part, recalled Reuniclus, muttering something like ‘Good work’ before turning to Jim.

“It’s not in my habit to be surprised or dismayed, Jim,” he said, “but you gave me several moments of intensity the likes of which I have never felt before. As I said, if I was to be knocked from the tournament, it would have been an insult if it had been from any Trainer other than you.”

“Thanks, Solomon,” said Jim, smiling broadly. “I really thought I was going to lose from the way the battle started.”

“Many Trainers choose to dictate the outcomes by how battles start,” said Solomon. “However, unless you progress, you will never know if your convictions were true or false. In this case, they were false, thankfully.”

He held out his hand, and Jim shook it gratefully. The two friends turned and made their way back into the stands to watch the rest of that day’s fights.

***​

“Dewott is unable to battle! Simisage wins, which means the victor is Nigel Richmond!”

Jim’s hands were feeling raw from clapping for both Cheren and Nigel. Both had pulled off their full battles spectacularly. Neither of them had shown signs of being in imminent danger, unlike him, and, as usual, Nigel almost seemed bored as he directed his attacks. He was still waiting for that match that would really get his blood pumping. He merely nodded to the compliments and congratulations of his friends as he returned.

“And with that,” said Burton, “today’s round of the Victory Mountain Conference is complete!”

“Only four Trainers remain,” said Alder, “and of these four, only two shall compete in the final round, the championship bout! Our final contestants are...”

The screen lit up with the faces of the four remaining Trainers.

“Jim Stevens of Nuvema Town, Cheren of Nuvema Town, Nigel Richmond of Castelia City, and Gwendolyn Fairchild of Mistralton City!”

“Let’s match these Trainers up, and see who will face who in the penultimate battle of the tournament!” said Burton, sounding absolutely energized.

The faces flipped over, the backs glowed, then flipped over again. Cheren was paired with Gwendolyn Fairchild in the first match of tomorrow, while Jim was paired with Nigel.

The two looked at each other, and knew, from the looks on their faces, that they had both expected this.

“Well,” Nigel said, smiling, “it seems my patience is about to be rewarded exponentially...”

Chapter 44
A Cryptic Tidbit​

“Eat hearty, everyone,” said Jim. “You all deserve it for what you did today.”

Jim and Leanne had returned to the former’s room, and he had set out food bowls for Echo, Rok, Spade, Torrent, Croco, and June, filled to the brim. The tired but happy Pokemon chowed down gratefully as the two Trainers sat on the bed and watched. Torch, Missy, and Jolt had joined them as well, for Professor Juniper had informed him that he could keep all of his teammates’ Poke Balls with him; all he had to do was use his Pokedex to indicate which ones he wanted active. Jim found this very convenient, as he couldn’t remember his entire crew being together all at once. Then again, Jolt and Rok made the room slightly crowded, due to their larger sizes.

Oshawott was settled right next to June, keeping her company as she ate. For some odd reason, she seemed to be eating more forcibly than usual, which was quite unlike her.

“Slow down, darling,” said Oshawott. “You don’t want to get a stomachache, do you?”

“No,” she said, “but I just feel very hungry for some reason.”

“Well, small wonder,” said Oshawott. “You took down a Golurk all by yourself.”

“With Torrent’s help,” said June.

“But you made it happen, sis,” said Torrent, who had overheard. “That took ace skills!”

“And you did use up a lot of energy in continuous Leaf Storm attacks,” said Oshawott. “I’d say that’s well deserving a hearty meal.”

He playfully patted his mate’s belly. She shot him a look for an instant, but it dissolved into a warm smile.

“You’re impossible,” she said, tenderly.

“So, Jim,” said Leanne, “who do you plan to use against Nigel?”

“A lot of my hard-hitters, for sure. Spade, Jolt, Croco, probably Echo and the Simi Bros.”

“Sounds like you have a full team right there,” said Leanne, brightly.

“Yeah. Of course, I don’t know what Nigel might have in reserve, so I can only hope I choose right.”

“You will,” said Leanne. “You’ve made it all the way to the semifinals, haven’t you? You’re gonna win this!”

She shook his shoulders playfully, and he found himself smiling.

“Thanks, Leanne. That means a lot.”

“Say, can you watch Oshy for me? I’m gonna go take a walk.”

“Of course.”

Leanne stood up and headed out of the room as the Pokemon continued their meal.

***​

As Leanne strolled down the hallway, she took the opportunity to look about at other Trainers discussing the upcoming matches tomorrow. To her delight, much of the discussion was about Jim, commenting on his victory earlier, the moves he had taught his Pokemon, and so on.

“Didja see the way his Krokorok tossed that Reuniclus?”

“Those two made for a really entertaining battle!”

“That Snivy, man! What a powerhouse!”

Some were even talking about the old ‘Plasma’s Bane’ title.

“Man, if only Team Plasma could see him now,” a boy was telling his friend. “They’d need their brown pants.”

“Ugh, gross,” said his friend. “Where are they these days, anyway?”

“Hiding somewhere, probably,” said the boy. “They’d have a heck of a time getting past security, though. I heard they’re posting the Elite 4 as guards during the tournament.”

“The Elite 4 are running security?” Leanne asked, coming up to them.

“You bet,” the boy said. “You ever see them battle? No one messes with the Elite 4 or Alder. You’re better off making your last will and testament when you get on their bad side.”

“And you think that’s what’s keeping Team Plasma back?”

“Can’t see why else. They may talk big, but they’re a bunch of cowards.”

“Ha!”

The three jumped. The laugh, shrill and scornful, came from just down the hall. Leanne leaned past the boy to see, and gasped when she recognized the black, burglar-esque garb Team Plasma employed when they attacked by boat.

Before she could say anything, the Plasma grunt sped away, and she barreled after him in hot pursuit. The two boys merely stared in confusion at what had just happened.

The grunt made his way out into the pavilion in front of the entrance, and Leanne skid to a halt as he stopped and turned around.

“What do you want?” she asked. “Trying to spy on Jim, were you?”

“I need not have bothered,” said the grunt. “Everybody sings the praises of Stevens, so his battles are no secret to us.”

“Then what are you after? What are you all up to hiding away like this? The Elite 4 really does have you spooked, huh?”

“Bah!” spat the grunt. “They do not frighten us! We could decimate their forces in an instant, but we choose to bide our time. At any rate, why should I reveal my mission to Stevens’ tagalong?”

“Tagalong?” Leanne asked, more puzzled than angry.

“Indeed. What are you but his little sidekick?” sneered the grunt. “All you do is stand in the sidelines, cheering him on, while he does all of the dirty work!”

Leanne raised an eyebrow.

“Am I supposed to feel insulted by that?” she asked.

“...What?” said the grunt, as if he wasn’t expecting this answer.

“I know Jim does most of the battling, and I’m cool with it. Battling isn’t always my thing. I’m just happy to be able to journey with him, but when I have to fight, I will. It’s nothing I’m ashamed of. I’m totally good with cheering him on.”

The grunt blinked. He must have thought his taunts would have done more damage than this, and even seemed a little nervous that Leanne wasn’t intimidated. Leanne smiled.

“Not getting the effect you wanted?” she asked.

“Er...Pawniard, get her!” screamed the grunt, tossing a Poke Ball and releasing a Pawniard, its metal blades glinting in the sun.

Leanne sighed. Privately, she had been doing her own training of her Pokemon, for the eventuality that she would have to battle for herself. It seemed time had provided the opportunity at last.

“If that’s the way you want it, fine,” she said, taking her own Poke Ball. “Larvesta, go!”

In a burst of light, the little Torch Pokemon appeared.

“You mock me by using the Pokemon we claimed for ourselves?”

“If by ‘claim’, you mean ‘stole from his mother’!” snapped Leanne.

“Spare me your prattle! Pawniard, Slash!”

Pawniard dashed forward, its claws extending and glowing white.

“Use Bug Buzz, Larvesta!”

Larvesta tensed, then unleashed a series of red shockwaves of energy, coupled with the awful sound of a thousand cicadas. Pawniard stopped in its tracks, clapping its claws to where its ears would be.

“Now use Flame Wheel!”

Larvesta flipped himself over, becoming cloaked in a whirl of flames, then sped right for Pawniard, slamming into it and throwing it back.

“Pawniard, get back up! Use Guillotine!”

Pawniard regained itself, crossing its arms. Its claws extended even more and began glowing with a more sinister dark-silver light. Then it rushed straight at Larvesta once again.

“Larvesta, String Shot!”

Larvesta spat a stream of thin white thread from wherever his mouth was on its face. This thread wrapped itself around Pawniard, sticking its arms together and to its torso, causing it to lose balance.

“And one more Flame Wheel should do it!”

Larvesta once again shrouded himself in fire and launched himself at Pawniard, knocking it flat onto its back and burning away the String Shot. The grunt was beside himself as he recalled it.

“I will not stand for this!” he snarled. “I will not be humiliated by Stevens’ overweight cheerleader! Yamask, go!”

In another burst of Poke Ball light, a Yamask appeared.

“Larvesta, return,” said Leanne, calling back her companion, then tossing a new Poke Ball. “Go, Zorua!”

The little Tricky Fox appeared, grinning deviously at Yamask. The grunt was doing his best not to look intimidated.

“Will-o-Wisp!”

Yamask drew its arm back, a ball of blue flames brewing on its hand, which was then lobbed at Zorua.

“Zorua, Dig!” said Leanne.

Zorua burrowed straight into the ground like a gopher, the flaming orb hitting the ground and dissipating in a burst of sparks. In the next moment, Zorua came bursting out of the ground from behind.

“Yamask, Shadow Ball!”

“Faint Attack!”

Just as Yamask lobbed a black and purple ball of light at Zorua, the latter disappeared into thin air, before reappearing beside Yamask and striking with one of his paws, knocking it back. The grunt grit his teeth.

“You will not take me down so easily! Yamask, Shadow Ball!”

“Zorua, Dark Pulse!”

“D-DARK PULSE?!” spluttered the grunt.

Yamask launched another Shadow Ball, while Zorua spat a stream of black and purple flames from his mouth, blasting away the opposing attack and going straight for Yamask, overwhelming it and sending it flat onto its back. Zorua gave a small ‘Hmph!’ to it, then turned and grinned up at Leanne.

“Good job!” she said, reaching down with one hand.

He leaped up and slapped her palm with his paw in a kind of high-five, while the grunt merely stared in shock.

“Who...who are you?” he breathed.

“Just a girl from Accumula,” she answered, shrugging.

Zorua leaped up her arm and perched onto her shoulder.

“Honestly, it feels like you guys have been getting worse and worse. I remember when you used to be something of a threat, but this? This was just pathetic.”

The grunt’s face contorted with fury, but he seemed to come to his senses, and even started to chuckle, puzzling Leanne.

“You need only patience, chubby one,” he said. “Tell your precious Stevens this: Team Plasma has suffered humiliation in the past, but soon, very soon, we will rise from the ashes like a mighty phoenix. We shall tower over all who opposed us, and when they see us at the height of our majesty and glory, then perhaps they shall deign to listen to us. If not, so much the worse for them...”

“What are you talking about?...”

But the grunt said no more. Instead, he tossed something on the ground, creating a cloud of smoke. When it vanished, both he and his Yamask were gone.

“What was up with that, Zorua?” Leanne asked.

Zorua tilted his head, showing he understood no better than she did.

“Guess we’d better tell Jim about this, at any rate. He might be wondering where I’ve gone to.”

***​

When Leanne returned to Jim’s room, it was to find quite a humorous scene. Jim had been joined by his mother, the professor, and Bianca, all of whom were coddling his Pokemon. Bianca had taken Missy into her lap and was tickling her belly while Echo rested on her knee. Professor Juniper was stroking both Rok’s and Jolt’s heads, the latter looking very complacent while the former’s tail was swishing around, knocking against the wall, and Mrs. Stevens had June in her lap while she was stroking the top of Torch and Torrent’s heads. Croco was chilling beside Jim, who was not looking amused.

“I had no idea you two had such soft fur,” Mrs. Stevens said. “One so warm and fluffy, the other so cool and soft.”

“Ha! You’re soft,” Torch said to Torrent.

“Yeah? Well, you’re fluffy,” Torrent rebutted.

“...Touche,” Torch conceded.

“Mom, honestly,” Jim groaned. “They’re fighters, not pets.”

“Of course, dear,” said his mother, distractedly, now scratching Spade underneath his horn, which he really seemed to like.

“Hoo-whee,” he sighed. “That spot’s been itchin’ me for ages.”

Jim sighed in frustration.

“They’re never gonna take the next couple fights seriously like this.”

“Oh, lighten up, Jim,” said Bianca, who was now playing with Echo’s wings. “After all they’ve had to do recently, they deserve a little R&R.”

“Well said, Bianca,” said the professor. “I know you want to do your best, Jim, but you have to put your Pokemon into consideration as well.”

“It’s not like I’ve mistreated them,” Jim began, in a protesting tone.

“Of course not,” said Juniper, “but a little playtime never hurts. A tournament doesn’t need to be all serious business. Relax, unwind, have a little fun.”

Jim started to argue, but could find nothing to say to that. She was right, after all. He supposed he had been a little overzealous about battling that he didn’t really think of letting his Pokemon unwind.

“Is June feeling all right, Jim?” his mother asked suddenly.

“What do you mean?” Jim asked, a spasm of panic going through him at the thought of something wrong with his partner.

“She seems a little...bigger than usual,” said Mrs. Stevens, pressing a finger against June’s belly, where it sank in, as if she were poking a marshmallow. “She looks like she’s starting to get a little tummy.”

Jim got up and went to take a look. He hadn’t thought about it before, but June was looking a little larger than he remembered. How could he have not noticed her putting on weight?

“You ok, girl?” he asked.

“Of course,” said June, relaxed. “I suppose I just overdid it on dinner. It left a little on me.”

She patted her belly with both paws.

“I should be right as rain when you need me.”

Jim smiled softly and stroked her chin, making the three women smile as well.

“Jim?” Leanne piped up, coming over.

“Oh, there you are, Leanne. Welcome to ‘Pokemon Daycare’,” said Jim, sarcastically, earning an eyeroll from Bianca.

“There’s something you need to know. Something important!”

“Hmm? What is it?’

Mrs. Stevens, Bianca, the professor, and all of the Pokemon looked up, having overheard. Leanne, feeling no qualms about it, seeing as how they knew enough about Team Plasma, told them all about her encounter with the grunt.

When she had concluded, Jim sat in silence, while the other females looked stunned.

“Rise from the ashes?” asked Juniper.

“And they’d tower over us all?” asked Bianca.

“How horrid,” said Mrs. Stevens. “What are they playing at?”

“It sounds like they’re planning something huge,” said Jim, “something to put them in a position where no one will dare oppose them. If I’d have to hazard a guess, it may have to do with N and his new steed, Zekrom. I can’t imagine anyone trying to challenge someone riding a big thunder-dragon.”

“Very true,” said Juniper. “But what should we do? Report it to the Elite 4? To Alder?”

“We don’t even know if this threat holds any real weight,” Jim said. “That grunt could have just been trying to intimidate Leanne. What if we reported this and nothing disastrous really did happen? It would just create a big scare, and they’d have to cancel the tournament. And I’m not saying that it should go completely ignored,” he added, seeing the professor about to say something, “but at the very least, we should confide in Alder, have the Elite 4 step up security without making a big scene about what it’s really for. We don’t need to spread rumors of an impending attack when the source isn’t the most reliable. Just be on our guard, that’s all.”

“I’m with Jim on this,” said Bianca. “We should tell Alder without spreading it around like a rumor.”

“I’m with him, too,” said Leanne.

“I’ll have a word with Alder myself,” said Juniper. “Rest easy, Jim.”

“Thanks, Professor.”

Mrs. Stevens smiled and clasped her son’s shoulder.

“My brave, clever boy,” she said, tenderly.

Jim smiled and grasped her hand.

“It may be more idiocy than bravery,” he confessed, “but I’m just going by what my gut is telling me.”

The group said no more about it, and settled back to their afternoon of relaxation, though Jim’s mind still ran with the possibilities of what Nigel would throw at him tomorrow...

***​

That evening, while everyone had gone to bed, Jim lay awake, staring up at the ceiling, his mind buzzing. It was bad enough that he had to worry about what Nigel would throw at him tomorrow, but the words of this Team Plasma grunt Leanne encountered also confounded him. He had sounded sure of himself when he said they would leave the matter to Alder, but in reality, he was still second-guessing. What was he to do?

He stood up and crossed to his window, leaning on the sill. Outside, he could see a widespread view of the forested mountainside below. There were still storm clouds looming over, even nearly a week after they had first ascended the trail. It was said to have been Tornadus and Thundurus causing it, but what for? Why were they so agitated? Had they sensed danger on the horizon? Were they trying to keep people away? But how could they possibly know? What did Team Plasma mean about rising from the ashes and towering over all?

“And here I thought you’d kicked this habit.”

Jim glanced down. Sure enough, June was sitting beside him on the windowsill.

“What are you doing up?” Jim asked.

“I felt you get out of bed. I had a feeling you weren’t sleeping right.”

“No. My mind’s too full. I can’t stop thinking about Nigel or Team Plasma.”

“But hopefully not for the same reasons.”

“Of course not. I just can’t get those words out of my head. ‘Rising from the ashes’ and all that. What are they up to? We already saw that they shed those stupid knight outfits.”

“It is disturbing that they’ve changed their image, but there’s nothing we can do but wait. It may amount to nothing after all.”

“And if it doesn’t?” Jim asked.

“...Then we’ll face them as we always did,” said June.

Jim softly stroked her head. He always appreciated her wise optimism at these times.

“And about Nigel?” she asked.

“I’m excited to see what he’s got in store, but I’m also worried he might be too tough for me. I barely got past Solomon today.”

“And yet you still got past him,” said June. “It’s like Cheren said: you have to learn to stop second-guessing yourself and just go with it. You said yourself that you didn’t care if you won or lost, that you just wanted to see how far you’d gotten, and now look at you: in the Top 4 guaranteed. You have a lot to be proud of.”

“I know, but I also don’t want to put together some slipshod battle. This is the semi-finals. Everyone deserves a big, climactic battle.”

“Says who?” asked June, raising an eyebrow.

“Er...”

“Jim,” she said, softly, “this isn’t about them. This is your battle. Do it your way, not their way. If it does happen to become some super-charged excitement fest, all the better. The point is, you can’t always try to run your destiny by everyone’s else’s expectations, or need I remind you of the Plasma’s Bane hype?”

“Brr, no,” Jim said, shuddering.

“There you go. Now, why don’t you go back to sleep? You have a big day tomorrow.”

“...Yeah, you’re right. Thanks, girl. I’m always glad we have these talks.”

“Happy to help, Jim.”

Jim picked her up and carried her back to bed with him, laying her atop his covers as soon as he had settled in.

“You sure you’re ok? You never used to eat as much as you did today, so I just want to be sure.”

“Positive. I was just famished after that whole ordeal.”

“All right. Actually, a little belly’s kind of cute on you, partner.”

He ran a tickling finger along her tummy, causing her to giggle.

“I thought you said we were fighters, not pets,” she said, teasingly.

“Don’t use my words against me,” said Jim.

June smiled and licked his cheek.

“Good night, Jim.”

“Good night, June.”

And the two partners drifted off to sleep, Jim’s remaining dreams for that evening calm and undisturbed.

Chapter 45
Jim vs. Nigel: Part 1​

The next day was nothing short of a gala event. Fireworks were going off and the tumult in the crowds was deafening. The tournament was so near its conclusion that the excitement was mounting to a fever pitch. If it was this intense for the semifinals, there was no telling what would be in store for the finals...

The first match of the day was Cheren vs. Gwendolyn Fairchild, an innocent, quiet girl who just seemed happy to have come this far. Cheren was very courteous towards her, calling her ‘Miss Fairchild’ and wishing her the best of luck. She seemed to take this exceedingly well, and Jim even fancied that she had the look of one who was smitten...

The match began. It was Cheren’s Darmanitan vs. Gwendolyn’s Cinccino. Cinccino packed quite an astonishing variety of attacks for a little rodent Pokemon: Hyper Voice, Aqua Tail, Rock Blast, and Swift. Aqua Tail and Rock Blast especially seemed to keep Darmanitan at bay, but it muscled through the assault and felled poor Cinccino with a combination of Fire Punch and Superpower.

Gwendolyn next turned to Swanna, who, despite Darmanitan’s attempts at bringing it earthward with Smack Down, sent it packing with Bubblebeam and Hurricane. Cheren was not at all deterred by the loss of his first Pokemon, and composedly switched to Gigalith, who tanked Swanna’s Bubblebeam and took it down with repeated Stone Edge attacks.

Gwendolyen next sent out Maractus, which very nearly took out Gigalith with Seed Bomb and Drain Punch (both moves Gwendolyn must have seen a tutor for), but just missed its chance as it was taken out by Flash Cannon. The mighty Rock type was finally taken down by Gwendolyn’s Vanilluxe, but the latter was doomed to a harrowing and ultimately fruitless battle against Cheren’s Stoutland.

She next tried Musharna, which endured Stoutland’s attacks, but just narrowly managed to bring it down with Psychic and Signal Beam. From there, it was an all-too-easy target for Cheren’s Lampent, a Pokemon Jim had had yet to see from his friend, which employed Will-o-Wisp and Shadow Ball to bring down the formidable Psychic type.

Gwendolyn seemed to know she was in no position to win, especially since her last Pokemon was a Galvantula. Still, she held out for as long as she could, and very nearly succeeded in bringing Lampent down, even managing to invoke paralysis on it, but a particularly powerful Flamethrower ended the battle, 3 to 0.

Of course, the crowd went absolutely bonkers over Cheren’s victory, but Jim was more interested in how the fight had played out. Gwendolyn had actually been able to bring down half of Cheren’s team, something none of his other opponents had come close to accomplishing. She really had deserved her place in the semifinals, and it seemed Cheren expressed these very sentiments to her, as he shook her hand while speaking to her, and she turned a very bright shade of red, though she was smiling, as she took her leave of the battlefield.

“Always the gentleman, eh, Cheren?” Jim asked as his friend rejoined them.

“And why not?” Cheren asked. “She was an innocent girl, and her battling prowess much surprised me.”

“So, when’s the honeymoon?” Cruise asked, chuckling.

“How mature,” Cheren mused, dryly.

“Ladies and gents, your attention, please!” said Burton, his voice booming over the noise of the crowd. “I know how energized you all are from that spectacular performance, as the two of us certainly are, but the time has come to move to our last semifinal bout! Who shall face Cheren in the final round to try and claim the title of Champion? Let’s find out as Jim Stevens and Nigel Richmond duke it out! Gentlemen, take your places, please!”

“Good luck, Jim,” said June, as she was placed in Bianca’s lap. As Leanne was sitting right next to her, Oshawott snuggled up to his love.

“Thanks,” said Jim.

He and Nigel descended the stands together and took their places on opposite sides of the field.

“At last,” said Nigel, “someone whom I know will give me a battle worth putting my effort into. It was a strenuous experience, Stevens, but one that has paid off in the end.”

“I feel the same way, Nigel,” said Jim. “It’s been a long haul, but here we are, about to see which of us is worthy to make it to the final battle.”

“This is where we decide it once and for all,” said Nigel, drawing his first Poke Ball. “Have at you!”

Jim drew his first as well, not taking his eyes from Nigel’s.

“Sawk, come forth!”

Nigel tossed his ball with vigor, and a Sawk appeared on the battlefield, sitting cross-legged in a meditative pose, eyes closed. It snapped to attention, however, and got to its feet, ready to fight.

“Starting with a Fighting type, eh?” Jim asked. “Fine with me. Echo, this one’s all you!”

He threw his ball, and the trusty Swoobat appeared in the air.

“Predictable, yet not unlike you, Stevens,” said Nigel. “We shall see where this goes.”

“Begin!” shouted the referee.

“Echo, use Air Slash!”

Echo flapped his wings mightily, sending a rush of wind-formed saw blades at Sawk.

“Block them off with Close Combat!” Nigel commanded.

Sawk’s focus seemed to tighten as, all of a sudden, it lunged out with a flurry of punches and kicks, striking the Air Slash blades before they made contact and making them vanish into thin air. Jim and Echo’s jaws dropped as Sawk finally let off its assault, looking slightly fatigued.

“Oh, you’re good,” Jim said. “Echo, we’ve gotta step up our game. Shadow Ball!”

Echo brought one wing back, a black and purple ball of dark energy forming in front of his face. With a sweep of said wing, he smacked the ball like a missile towards Sawk.

“Dodge it, Sawk, and use ThunderPunch!”

Sawk crouched and sprang into the air with the swiftness of a grasshopper, leaving the Shadow Ball far below. Then, it pulled one arm back, its fist glowing with electricity, as it came down toward Echo.

*WHAM!*

Sawk, well, socked Echo right in the face with the electrical punch, sending him reeling. Sparks flew off his body from the assault as Sawk regained its place on the field, composed but alert.

“What’s the matter, Stevens? Can’t keep up?” Nigel asked. “Not a very good way to start.”

(Just you wait, Nigel. You’ll see I’ve got more up my sleeves.)

“Echo, Air Slash, once again!”

Echo sent another barrage of wind saws at Sawk.

“This again? Sawk, Close Combat!”

Sawk struck out wildly once again, punching and kicking at every air-saw that came its way. When it finished, it got back into its old stance, thought it was panting slightly.

(Hold the phone...Sawk keeps getting tired from having to do all those Close Combat attacks. I can’t count on Nigel to overlook that, though. I think it’s time for another tactic.)

“Echo, use Shadow Ball again!”

Echo formed and launched another shadowy projectile at Sawk.

“You’re just dooming yourself to repeat history,” said Nigel. “Sawk, dodge and use Dual Chop!”

Sawk leaped into the air again, this time raising both hands in a chopping fashion, glowing bright blue. This time, however, Jim was ready.

“Echo, use Thunder Wave!”

Both Nigel and Sawk’s eyes widened in surprise as Echo unleashed a bolt of blue lightning from his body, striking Sawk in midair, though this did not stop it from landing a double-chop strike to Echo, who reeled backwards from the impact. It fell heavily to the ground, sparking with electricity.

“You seem very fond of paralysis this tournament, Stevens,” Nigel said, masking his irritation.

“Hey, it’s worked so far, hasn’t it?” asked Jim, shrugging. “Now, where was I? Oh yeah. Echo, Air Slash!”

Echo sent yet another wave of air-saws at Sawk.

“Close Combat!” yelled Nigel.

Sawk tried to fight back, but its paralysis ultimately kept it at bay. It was therefore struck again and again by the vicious air-blades. It stumbled backwards, looking very run-down.

“All those Close Combats didn’t help, Nigel,” said Jim. “Now Sawk’s in the perfect position for a proper sendoff.”

Nigel gritted his teeth in frustration.

“Echo, Psychic!”

Echo raised his wings, his entire body surrounded in a blue aura. Sawk, surrounded in the same aura, was lifted straight off the ground, held in the air for an instant, then tossed straight across the field, slamming into the opposite wall. It slumped against the ground and did not get back up.

“Sawk is unable to battle!” said the referee. “Swoobat wins!”

(We’re off to a good start here. First round goes to me. Can’t get too cocky, though...)

Nigel recalled Sawk.

“First blood goes to you, Stevens,” he said, “but that was just one Pokemon. You still have 5 more to deal with.”

“I know how to count, Nigel,” Jim retorted.

“Then you may count on this being your Swoobat’s last stand. Jellicent, come forth!”

Ignoring the bad pun, Jim watched with slight trepidation as the ominous Floating Pokemon appeared. Ever since Leanne fought it as a Frillish, it had shown itself to be a devious fighter, employing ample use of its Cursed Body Ability.

“Let’s just try to chip away at it, Echo,” he encouraged his Swoobat. “If it comes to the worst, Jolt will handle it no problem.”

Echo nodded, though he was still looking rather battered from his bout with Sawk.

“Echo, use Thunder Wave!” said Jim.

Echo unleashed another bolt of blue lightning.

“Not this time,” said Nigel. “Jellicent, dodge and use Hydro Pump!”

Jellicent floated swiftly to one side, the bolt blasting past. Then, a raging torrent of water spat like a fountain from within its mustache right at Echo. Echo, however, had the sense to roll out of the way himself.

“So, that’s how we’re gonna play, is it?” Jim asked. “Echo, use Air Slash!”

Echo flapped his wings rapidly, sending yet another onslaught of air-made buzzsaws at Jellicent. These struck against it, but seemed to glance off its rotund body. At the same time, an ominous purple aura surrounded it, which then surrounded Echo, who looked stricken. It was just as Jim feared: Air Slash had just been locked by Cursed Body.

“Tut, tut,” teased Nigel. “You don’t learn from history, do you, Stevens? You’re only dooming yourself to repeat it. Jellicent, Confuse Ray!”

Jellicent waved its hand-like tentacles, and several swirling orbs of yellow light surrounded its body. These shot forward and struck Echo, whose eyes went out of focus, and his wing beats became erratic, making him weave drunkenly.

“Aw, nuts,” Jim muttered.

“Let’s set him in the right direction, shall we?” Nigel asked, with a bantering smirk on his face. “Ominous Wind!”

Jellicent began whirling around and around like a top, and waves of purplish wind flew from its body, beaded with white lights. Echo was swept this way and that by the gale, which Jim noted had an ‘unpleasant’ smell to it, though he couldn’t tell whether it was outright bad or merely foreboding.

“Echo, use Shadow Ball!” Jim shouted.

Another Shadow Ball formed, but Echo was moving so haphazardly that, when he launched it, it flew straight up into the air and vanished in a cloud of smoke and sparks. Jim slapped his brow with his hand in frustration.

“Jellicent, end this pathetic scene. Hydro Pump!”

Jellicent sent another blast of water at Echo, shooting him with bullseye precision right out of the air and onto the ground, where he lay, unconscious.

“Swoobat is unable to battle! Jellicent wins!”

“You did a good job, pal,” said Jim, recalling Echo. “That’s what counts.”

“Well, Stevens, we’re one for one,” said Nigel. “Think you can keep this up?”

“Nigel, I know I can,” said Jim, drawing his next Poke Ball. “Jolt, let’s do this!”

In a blaze of light, the Zebstrika appeared, pawing the ground slightly as he stared down Jellicent.

“Ah. How quaint,” said Nigel. “I expected nothing less, although I would have anticipated you going for your Snivy, otherwise. Come to think of it, where is she? She’s normally perched upon your shoulder.”

“She wasn’t feeling well. We both decided it was best she sit this one out.”

“Ah. Pity, really. She seemed the strongest of the bunch.”

“Glad you think so, but no one in my gang slouches. Show him, Jolt! Kick this off with Wild Charge!”

Jolt reared and let off a fierce neigh, becoming enshrouded by an electrical aura as he did so. In a blaze, he dashed straight for Jellicent, ramming right into it. Among the sparks that flew from the collision, there was one thing missing: the smoky purple aura that usually went with Cursed Body.

“Finally!” Jim said, triumphantly, as Jolt returned to his side of the field. “I knew that Ability couldn’t last forever. Not only that, but we got some major damage in.”

“I applaud your bull-headed stroke of fortune,” said Nigel, sardonically. “Even so, Jellicent still has some fight left in it! Jellicent, Sludge Wave!”

A goopy, sludge-like mass of purple slime formed around Jellicent, enshrouding it, before blasting right at Jolt.

“Dodge it!” Jim commanded.

The speedy Zebstrika dashed to one side, avoiding the attack, or so he thought, for the backlash caused by the wave hitting the ground caused some of it to splash against Jolt, causing him to flinch in pain.

“You’re very lucky,” said Nigel. “Sludge Wave has only a 10% chance of poisoning. Do you still think your mighty steed can hold out? One false move, and you might lose another attack to Cursed Body, just like your unfortunate Swoobat.”

“True,” Jim said, “but we’re not afraid to chance it. Jolt, use Thunderbolt!”

Jolt’s mane blazed a blinding yellow, and a bolt of lightning shot from his body straight at Jellicent.

“Sludge Wave, once again!” Nigel shouted.

Once more, Jellicent became enshrouded by a glob of purple slime, just as the Thunderbolt struck. The blast seemed to absorb right into it, leaving Jellicent unscathed, while it fired another blast of poisonous slime from itself. This time, Jolt was completely overwhelmed by the attack, and even Jim had to step away lest some of it get on his shoes. Still, Jolt didn’t look like he’d been poisoned yet, which was a good sign.

“And now, Jellicent, Hydro Pump!”

Jellicent reared back, ready to let loose another blast of high-pressure water.

“Jolt, charge right through with Wild Charge!”

Jolt reared again, let off another fierce neigh, then shot forward, surrounded by an aura of blindingly bright lightning. Jellicent launched its Hydro Pump, but Jolt charged right through it. If the electricity conducted through the attack didn’t catch Jellicent off guard, then being struck full force by Jolt did. This ‘double whammy’ sent it flying, where it crashed into the opposite wall. However, even as it went down, sparking from the impact, that familiar smoky purple aura surrounded its body, then Jolt’s. Wild Charge had been cancelled out with Jellicent’s last ounce of willpower.

“Jellicent is unable to battle! Zebstrika wins!”

Wordlessly, Nigel recalled Jellicent, while Jolt walked back to his side of the field, looking battered.

“You all right, pal?” Jim asked.

“Yeah. Don’t worry about it. I can last a little longer.”

His calmness and sincerity brought a smile to Jim’s face.

“Good to know.”

“That Zebstrika is quite the powerhouse,” said Nigel, “but I still have a few bruisers ready to have their own go, such as my next choice. Escavalier, come forth!”

Nigel’s Poke Ball burst open, and a new Pokemon appeared on the field. This one slightly resembled a snail, at least in its curled lower body, but it was otherwise encased in a medieval sort of armor: gleaming and silver, with a brush-like adornment atop its helmet and a pair of striped jousting lances for arms. Its body was blue with a yellow underbelly, its glaring eyes yellow with orange pupils. Jim brought out his Pokedex again.

“Escavalier, the Cavalry Pokemon, and the evolved form of Karrablast. It protects itself with armor taken from Shelmet, and attacks with its dual lances. Even when in trouble, it faces its opponents bravely.”

“I’m beginning to see a trend with these ‘dex entries,” Jim muttered. “‘Always fights to the last breath’, ‘never gives in’...Ah well, who am I to nitpick? Jolt, use Thunderbolt!”

Jolt sent another fierce blast of lightning from his body straight for Escavalier.

“Escavalier, Protect!” said Nigel.

Escavalier held its lances forward. A greenish ball of light appeared at the tips of both, and then expanded into a bubble-like shield around the Pokemon, deflecting the blast.

(Just as I expected. Well, now that we know it has Protect, and it’s already used it once, let’s see if it can pull it off again twice in a row.)

“Jolt, use Overheat!”

Jolt reared up, a surging flame forming inside his mouth as he did so. When he stomped back down, the flame blasted forward in a wild, raging stream. Nigel looked taken aback for an instant, but then yelled,

“Protect!”

To Jim’s astonishment and disappointment, Escavalier pulled off another perfect Protect, negating the fierce flames.

“Darn it,” he muttered. “Two Protects in a row. I hate when that happens.”

“Everyone does,” said Nigel, smugly. “Now that Zebstrika is nice and drained, Escavalier, use X-Scissor!”

Escavalier charged forward, crossing its lances in front of its body. These began to glow with a purple fire. Before Jim could call out another attack, it sweeped its lances in an X formation, hitting Jolt across the chest with a fiery purple X. The Zebstrika was really starting to look run down.

“Hang in there, Jolt,” Jim consoled. “Use Thunderbolt!”

Jolt let loose another blast of electricity at Escavalier.

“Dodge, Escavalier, and end this with Iron Head!”

Escavalier flew toward Jolt once again, flying to one side to avoid the attack. As it drew near, its helmet began to glow and shine with a silver, metallic sheen. With the force of a battering ram, it slammed right into Jolt, and the mighty Zebstrika slid backward, crumpling in a heap on the ground.

“Zebstrika is unable to battle! Escavalier wins!”

“You did a great job, Jolt,” Jim said, as he recalled the Zebstrika. “Get a good, long rest.”

(I hate to play the obvious type advantage card, but what other option do I have right now?)

“Torch, avenge your fallen comrade!”

He tossed his next Poke Ball, and the Simisear appeared, fists cocked and ready for battle.

“As I expected,” Nigel said, unperturbed. “Of course, it’s just common sense.”

“Glad you see it that way,” said Jim. “Torch, Flamethrower!”

Torch spewed a fierce stream of flames straight at Escavalier.

“Protect!” said Nigel.

Once again, the Cavalry Pokemon summoned a bubble shield that negated the attack. Jim clenched his fists in frustration.

(Dang it! How is he getting such good odds with Protect?! If this were a game, I would so call hax!)

“Since your Simisear’s a Fire type,” said Nigel, “all we can do is chip away at him. Fine by me, as Protect seems to be holding out just fine.”

Jim growled.

“Escavalier, Iron Head!”

Escavalier shot for Torch, helmet gleaming once again. Torch instinctively guarded by crossing his arms, but the impact still sent him skidding across the dirt.

“Try another Flamethrower, Torch!” Jim commanded.

Torch unshielded himself and spat another stream of flames. This time, the attack struck, and Escavalier grimaced in pain from the assault. Nigel, however, did not waver.

“Escavalier, X-Scissor!”

Escavalier charged forth once again, lances crossed and glowing purple.

“Torch, use Dig!” Jim commanded.

Torch jumped up and, with the speed of a gopher, burrowed underground, narrowly avoiding having his tail struck by Escavalier’s lances. A few moments later, Torch came bursting out, fist first, right underneath Escavalier, sending it flying.

“Seems you’re getting your second wind, Stevens,” said Nigel. “I like that! Keep the game a-going!”

“Glad to see you’re enjoying yourself, Nigel.”

“Enjoying myself? This is the first real match I’ve had during this tournament! I’ve never felt so alive!

“Then I’ll do my best not to disappoint you,” said Jim. “Torch, Acrobatics!”

Torch sprang forward toward Escavalier, jumping as he did so, so that he was performing a series of flips and somersaults.

“Counter with Iron Head!”

Once again, Escavalier lunged forward, helmet gleaming, and the two struck each other in the middle, head-on, literally. They sprang apart from each other back to their respective sides of the field.

“Torch, let’s give this knight an honorable discharge,” said Jim. “Flamethrower, full strength!”

Torch took in a deep breath, embers glistening in his mouth. Nigel, however, was smiling, despite the peril he was in.

“Escavalier, the time has come. If you do go down, take him with you! Power through that Flamethrower and use Reversal!”

Jim was taken aback by this. Nigel was forcing his Pokemon, a Bug and Steel type, to charge into a Fire type attack?! Was he insane?!

Torch let loose an enormous Flamethrower, while Escavalier charged forward, one lance pulled back and glowing with a spiraling white light. The flames washed over it, but the Cavalry Pokemon did not waver for an instant. Though it was obvious the flames were paining it, it was still charging through them, and, to Jim’s bewilderment and horror, the light surrounding its lance was intensifying, as if Torch’s flames, or the damage being inflicted by them, was strengthening the attack!

“Torch! Pull back! It’s a trap!” Jim yelled.

But he was too late.

Escavalier struck at Torch with its lance, and the energy surrounding it exploded, throwing both Pokemon apart. The flames dissipated, and Torch and Escavalier were thrown onto their stomach and back, respectively.

Jim stared in stupefaction as both Pokemon attempted to rise. Escavalier, looking Torch straight in the eye, crossed its lance across its heart, as if it were giving the Ember Pokemon a kind of honorary salute. Whether he understood or not, Torch collapsed onto his face, and Escavalier, without any alteration to its attitude, slumped onto its back soon afterward.

“Both Simisear and Escavalier are unable to battle! This match-up is a draw!”

Chapter 46
Jim vs. Nigel: Part 2​

“Well, how do you like that, Stevens?” asked Nigel. “We’re down to the halfway point: 3 against 3. Do you think you can drum up enough reserves to keep up this dance?”

“I know I can, Nigel. Now that we’re even, this match can go either way.”

“I quite agree. But come, let us save the banter and move on. Beheeyem, come forth!”

Nigel tossed his next Poke Ball, and his Beheeyem appeared, floating in midair.

“Beheeyem, huh? All right, then,” Jim muttered, drawing his next Poke Ball. “Croco, you’re up!”

He tossed the ball, and the Krokorok appeared on the battlefield.

“Ah, yes, the new addition to your team,” said Nigel. “He put up quite a fight against Solomon.”

“Croco’s no newbie, Nigel,” said Jim. “We met all the way back in the desert. The only reason he hasn’t shown up until now is because he’s in special training with Clay.”

“Fascinating,” said Nigel, intrigued. “Well, then, this should be a treat.”

“We’re gonna make it so. Croco, start this off with Stone Edge!”

Croco raised one arm, a ring of jagged stones materializing to swirl around him before shooting right for Beheeyem.

“Deflect them back with Psychic!” Nigel commanded.

Beheeyem swept one arm forward, its green eyes glowing. The stones stopped in midair, surrounded by a blue aura. Then, they swiveled around and shot right back at Croco, who had to shield his arms to block off the onslaught.

(Well, that’s a clever way to use a Psychic attack on a Dark type…)

“Ok, Croco, use Crunch!”

Croco crouched, then lunged for Beheeyem, his fangs gleaming white.

“Beheeyem, use Energy Ball!”

Beheeyem raised its arm, the green button on its palm shining brightly. A glimmering greenish-yellow orb of light appeared there, then fired like a cannonball, catching Croco right in the face and tossing him backward.

(Ok, this is not going well. I’ve gotta get in a hit on Beheeyem, or this’ll be a complete sweep…)

“Croco, go for Earthquake!”

Croco raised his foot and slammed it hard against the ground, causing it to rock violently and for several sections of it to crack and rise up. Beheeyem was knocked high into the air, and Croco leaped after it.

“Poor planning, Stevens,” said Nigel. “Beheeyem, Signal Beam!”

Beheeyem’s eyes began to glow a myriad of colors, and a beam in the shape of its eye formation, made up of all colors, fired upon Croco, blasting him and sending him crashing down. Beheeyem floated back down as the Desert Croc got back to his feet.

(Come on, Jim, think...You’ve got to catch him off his guard, make him make a mistake…)

“Now, just to up the ante,” said Nigel, calmly, “Beheeyem, Calm Mind.”

Beheeyem closed its eyes and held its arms slightly raised, seeming to go into a meditative trance. A soft, bluish light surrounded its body. Jim took out his Pokedex.

“Calm Mind, a Psychic type move that raises the Special Attack and Special Defense of the user.”

(Uh oh...If he lands another hit on Croco when powered up like that, he’s done for!)

“So sorry, Stevens,” said Nigel, once Beheeyem had reopened its eyes, “but I’m afraid this next hit shall be the last for your Krokorok. Beheeyem, Signal Beam!”

Beheeyem’s eyes began to glow again. It was all or nothing now!

“Croco, Earthquake!”

Croco slammed his foot down on the ground once again. Beheeyem shook and wobbled and was tossed into the air again, the Signal Beam firing and going way off course. Nigel blanched, but quickly regained his composure.

“Energy Ball, Beheeyem!”

Beheeyem righted itself and aimed down at Croco, another yellow-green ball forming in front of its hand.

“Knock it back with Iron Tail!” said Jim.

Beheeyem fired, and Croco leaped forward to intercept, his tail glowing with a silvery, metallic light. He swung it sharply, hitting the Energy Ball and sending it sailing back at its owner, causing it to explode against it and sending it plummeting down.

“Beheeyem!” Nigel yelled.

“Now we’ve got you!” said Jim. “Croco, finish this with Crunch!”

Croco lunged, fangs bared and glowing once again. He caught Beheeyem in midair in his mouth, twisted around, and spat him out straight down into the ground, making it reverberate with the impact. The Desert Croc landed deftly back down, while Beheeyem was down for the count, eyes rolling dizzily.

“Beheeyem is unable to battle! Krokorok wins!”

“Good job, Croco!” Jim said.

Croco, though looking battered and a little worn out, gave him the thumbs up, as Nigel recalled Beheeyem.

“Not bad, Stevens,” he said. “That was quite ingenious. Still, your Krokorok has taken quite a beating. Can it stand up to...Heatmor?”

He tossed his next Poke Ball, and a new Pokemon appeared. It looked like a large anteater, with a gray head and a red body striped with yellow, which reminded one of lava or fire. It had a pipe-like tail and long, sharp claws. As Jim looked at it and brought out his Pokedex, he saw a spout of flames escape its long snout.

“Heatmor, the Anteater Pokemon. Heatmor breathes through its tail as a fire blazes within it. Its prey of choice is Durant, burning through their shells with its fiery tongue.”

“Very pleasant…” Jim muttered. “Croco, let’s see if you can land a few hits on it.”

“You got it, Jimmy,” said Croco.

“Start things off with Stone Edge!”

Croco raised his arm, another cloud of jagged stones appearing in the air, which shot like bullets at Heatmor.

“Heatmor, Dig!” commanded Nigel.

With the agility of a gopher, Heatmor burrowed into the ground, missing the stones’ assault. Jim was initially frustrated, until an idea came to him.

“Bad move, Nigel,” he said. “Heatmor’s a prime target now.”

Nigel raised an eyebrow, but said nothing.

“Croco, Earthquake!”

Once more, Croco slammed the ground, making it tremble violently. With a surge, Heatmor came flying out of a fissure, tossed about by the force of the attack. Nigel did not look concerned, however.

“Heatmor, Inferno!”

Heatmor’s eyes glowed an eerie yellow as it righted itself in midair. It reared its head back, and when it threw it forward again, it shot a blazing stream of blue-purple flames, surrounded by rings, from its snout, down at Croco.

“Croco, get out of there!” Jim yelled.

It was no good. Even though Croco leaped aside, the flame was either too massive, or Croco was too weak from his battle with Beheeyem to go any further. Either way, the fire consumed him, and Jim had to shield his face from the unbelievable heat coming from such an attack. When the fire finally did subside, there was Croco, flat against the ground, charred and out cold.

“Krokorok is unable to battle! Heatmor wins!”

Heatmor landed back on the ground, a puff of black smoke emanating from its pipe-like tail as Jim recalled poor Croco.

“You did a great job, Croco,” he said. “I’m proud of you, but I think I know who needs to stick it to that Heatmor for your sake.”

So saying, he pocketed Croco’s Poke Ball, drew his next ball, and tossed it, unveiling Torrent.

“As I anticipated,” said Nigel, “though this is hardly against your credit, as I’ve come to know what a tough customer that Simipour of yours is. Make no mistake, however. Heatmor is not to be trifled with, either.”

Heatmor bared the claws of one hand, then clenched them into a fist for emphasis.

“I don’t doubt that at all,” said Jim, coolly. “Torrent, show this Heatmor why you don’t even mess with former members of our team.”

Torrent nodded and put up his dukes.

“Give him a taste of Hydro Pump, for starters!”

Torrent cupped his paws at his side, a swirling mass of water forming between them. Then, he threw them forward, sending a surging gush of it at Heatmor.

“Dig, Heatmor!”

Once again, Heatmor dove underground, but Torrent wasn’t done. Surprising both Jim and Nigel, he moved his arms in a way that sent the Hydro Pump in a curve down into the hole Heatmor just dug. With a splashing burst, the water came surging up out of the ground like a geyser, Heatmor held aloft by it.

“Impossible!” Nigel shouted. “How did he know to do that?!”

“Don’t ask me,” Jim shrugged. “Must be a circus thing.”

“Bah, no matter,” scoffed Nigel. “Heatmor, Inferno, once again!”

Heatmor once again righted itself and sent a scorching stream of blue and purple flames down upon Torrent.

“Another Hydro Pump, Torrent!” said Jim. “Block it off!”

Torrent sent another blast of water from his palms, striking against the flames in an attempt to keep them back. While this did work, technically, showers of the flames, like little comets, came raining down past the water, striking Torrent where he stood. He cringed, and the water and flames dissipated. However, to Jim’s horror, Torrent’s body blinked a dark red, and flames briefly flared around his body.

“What happened?! Torrent, are you ok?!”

“Not too sure,” Torrent said, his voice strained. “Is it toasty out here, or is it me?”

“What did your Heatmor do to Torrent?!” Jim snapped to Nigel, as Heatmor landed back on the ground.

“Didn’t you know?” Nigel asked, smirking. “Inferno always leaves a burn behind when it hits. Your Krokorok was lucky to be taken down when he was, or the experience might have been much more excruciating for him.”

(A Fire attack that can even burn a Water type on every hit? That’s not good…)

“Now, Heatmor, use Slash!”

Heatmor raced toward Torrent, its claws extending and glowing white.

“Counter it with Brick Break!”

Torrent, in spite of his burn, charged forward, his forearm glowing white. The two struck at each other at the same time, claws and fist colliding, knocking both back. Torrent’s body flared briefly again, and he winced.

“Hang in there, Torrent…” said Jim.

“It’s useless,” said Nigel. “That burn is already doing a number on him. Heatmor, end this pitiful scene. Giga Drain!”

Jim turned pale. Nigel had really gone the extra mile to round out his Pokemon’s move pools. He must have seen several tutors to fit them out with all kinds of moves. An attack like Giga Drain was sure to sap Torrent’s remaining strength.

Heatmor’s eyes glowed green, and so did its claws, which extended and clicked malevolently. It charged straight for Torrent.

“Torrent, stop that Heatmor! Use Hydro Pump!”

Torrent cringed as he moved his arms. Cupping them at his side, he formed another swirling, surging ball of water, while Heatmor came closer and closer. Finally, with a cry that was both pained and war-like, Torrent unleashed another raging blast of water which overtook the surprised Heatmor, who obviously didn’t expect the Simipour to have the strength to fight back like that. It was swept backwards, rolling and flailing.

“Heatmor, get back up!” Nigel urged.

“Now, Torrent, use Brick Break!”

Torrent charged, arm glowing and swinging rapidly, despite his burn.

“Heatmor, use Slash!” Nigel yelled.
Heatmor lunged out with its claws, just as Torrent attacked. With an air-splitting *WHAM!*, he socked Heatmor right in the face, just as Torrent was struck by Heatmor’s claws. Both were sent tumbling onto their faces. Heatmor did not get back up. Torrent, however, tried to rise, but there was another flicker of dark flames, and he flopped onto his face.

“Torrent!” Jim yelled.

“Simipour and Heatmor are both unable to battle! This matchup is a draw!”

Jim swallowed hard. Both he and Nigel were down to their final Pokemon, and he already knew who it was going to be. Nigel seemed to be coming to similarly grim conclusions.

“Well, Stevens, he we are at the end of our little tete-a-tete,” he said. “I must say, this has been thoroughly enjoyable. I’ve never felt this alive in a long time. You bring out the best in me with your battling prowess.”

“I’ve been enjoying this as well, Nigel,” said Jim. “It’s been extremely harrowing, but I’m glad it’s this way: both of us with only one Pokemon left.”

“So am I, old bean, so am I. Let’s get down to it, shall we?”

“Let’s.”

“Simisage, the time has come!”

“Spade, it’s up to you!”

In dual blazes of Poke Ball light, Simisage and Spade appeared on the battlefield.

There was a tense silence. Everyone knew it was now down to this: the final showdown. One false move could mean the entire match for either of them. The atmosphere was so thick with anxiety, one could cut it with a knife. The two combatants stared each other down, neither yielding an inch.

At last, Jim gave the first command, splitting the silent air.

“Spade, use Metal Claw!”

Spade darted forward, his claws gleaming with a silver sheen.

“Dodge it and use Seed Bomb!”

Spade swung, just as Simisage jumped out of the way. As he did so, he cupped his paws to his side, a glowing green ball forming between them, which then fired like a bullet at Spade. Spade shielded his face with his claws, resulting in an explosion that sent him skidding back.

“All right, give him a taste of Drill Run!”

Spade enclosed himself within his claws and launched himself like a spinning missile at Simisage.

“Dig!” Nigel commanded.

Just like Heatmor had done, Simisage burrowed underground, causing Spade to sail over him. However, even as he unfolded, the Thorn Monkey Pokemon came bursting out from right beneath where he landed, sending Spade flying.

“Use X-Scissor!” shouted Jim.

Spade righted himself and crossed his claws in front of himself, where they began to glow with a purple fire. He uncrossed them swiftly, sending a fiery purple X right down on Simisage, who found himself overwhelmed by the attack and thrown flat against the ground. Spade regained his position at his side of the field.

“Very clever, Stevens,” said Nigel, “but we’re not licked yet. Simisage, prepare for another Seed Bomb!”

Simisage cupped his paws at his side once again.

“Not this time!” said Jim. “Spade, use Drill Run!”

Spade once again shot like a whirring missile at Simisage, but Jim saw by the unpleasant smile on Nigel’s face that he had intended for this.

“And now swap it for Focus Blast!” he said.

The orb in Simisage’s palms, which had originally been green, turned blue and expanded, before he launched at Spade. It exploded against him, making him unfold and topple into the dirt.

“Spade! Get up!” Jim yelled.

Spade struggled to get to his feet. The super-effective Dig and Focus Blast attacks had done a number on him.

“How sad,” mused Nigel. “Now, Simisage, another Focus Blast should do it. Fire when ready.”

Simisage cupped his paws once more, another ball of blue light forming, but this one getting bigger and bigger each second. Jim had to react fast! If this one struck, it could be game over, right here and now!

“Spade, use X-Scissor!”

Spade’s eyes flashed with a determined light. In one sweeping motion, he crossed his claws, then swept them apart again, sending another fiery purple X at Simisage. It bowled him over and sent the Focus Blast sailing high into the air, where it exploded like a firework. Nigel stared.

“So, there’s still some fight in you, is there?”

“There always will be,” Jim challenged.

“Suit yourself,” said Nigel. “Simisage, use Dig!”

“Spade, follow him with Drill Run!”

Simisage burrowed underground, while Spade closed himself within his claws, turned over, and tunneled down like a drill. After that, the air became deadly quiet. Not a sound stirred but the quiet murmur of the audience. Jim waited on tenterhooks, since anything could be happening down there. Nigel’s eyes never left the spot where Simisage dove down.

Then, all of a sudden, there was an almighty rumbling from beneath the ground, and both Pokemon went flying, Spade even higher up. It seemed he had been on the receiving end of the attack. All eyes turned skywards as the two Pokemon were thrown up.

“Simisage, end this once and for all!” Nigel yelled. “Solarbeam!”

Jim saw Simisage bring his paws to his side, a gleaming golden ball forming between them. This was it: it was to be decided here and now!

“Spade, use Drill Run!” Jim yelled. “Give it all you’ve got!”

From on high, Spade folded himself up again, turned to aim at Simisage, and plummeted like a missile, whirling and spinning, the sun gleaming off his claws. Everyone gasped. Many jumped to their feet to watch. Charlie Burton and Alder stood rooted to the spot, jaws dropped.

“FIRE!!” Nigel roared.

Simisage flung his paws forward, and with an almighty blaze of light, a beam of pure sunlight shot forward at Spade, colliding with the spinning drill of a Pokemon as he descended. For several tense seconds, it looked as if the attack was keeping Spade suspended where he was.

“Keep it together, Spade,” Jim muttered, fists clenched. “Come on…”

Then, suddenly, amazingly, Spade began to move lower and lower down. He was pushing through the Solarbeam! Nigel’s jaw dropped in horror.

“Simisage! Don’t let him through! Keep going!”

“Come on, Spade!” yelled Jim. “You can do this!”

Simisage’s teeth clenched tightly as he tried to pour on more power, but Spade was coming closer and closer, spinning so rapidly that a ring of fire was surrounding him, as if he were a descending comet from space.

“No!” Nigel yelled.

“Yes!” shouted Jim.

Simisage could now see the danger he was in, but it was no good stopping now. Spade was pushing the energy back further and further, making the ball of light the Solarbeam was being shot from bigger and bigger. It was like a bomb that was threatening to explode.

And that’s just what it did.

With a roar that shook the stands, the ball of light exploded, bathing the entire sky with a bright yellow burst of sunlight. Everyone shielded their eyes, and Jim and Nigel were hard-pressed to keep from being blown off their feet. The very stadium seemed to be in the throe of a cyclone.

The light finally disappeared, and everyone uncovered their eyes. What they saw when they did made their jaws drop.

The Pokemon had returned to the ground. Spade, battered, buffeted, and weak, was standing over Simisage, who was in an even worse state, one of the Excadrill’s claws over his chest like a threatening sword, and both breathing hard. Jim felt his heart slamming against his ribcage, his eyes never leaving the scene.

Then, silently, Spade removed his claw, and held it under his horn in a manner not unlike a cowboy tipping his hat. A second after, Simisage gave a very weak smile, as if glad of the respect, and flopped onto his back.

“Simisage is unable to battle!” the referee yelled, his voice carrying loudly over the silence. “Excadrill wins, which means the winner of the semifinal match is Jim Stevens!”

It started slow, but soon, the cheers and yells of the crowd grew into a tumultuous confusion of noise. Leanne and Bianca were bouncing up and down wildly in their seats, June and Oshawott were hopping about in jubilation, holding each other’s paws, and Mrs. Stevens was practically weeping with joy. Professor Juniper, Cheren, Cruise, and Solomon were cheering the loudest of all, but the Guy’s big, proud smile spoke volumes more than any cheers could.

Jim, feeling as if the sunlight from the Solarbeam was flooding his very body, ran to Spade, while Nigel went to get Simisage.

“Spade, that was incredible!” he said. “I’m really proud of you!”

“T’weren’t nothin’,” said Spade, wearily, but with a big smile on his pointed face. “Ah couldn’t let ya down, Mr. Jim. Not when we’d come so far.”

Jim said nothing to that, but merely embraced his Excadrill tightly. Nigel, meanwhile, rose up with Simisage.

“Good job, old friend,” he said, quietly. “You were spectacular. I’m proud of you.”

He recalled his partner, and turned to Jim.

“You’ve proven you’re the better man, Jim,” he said. “I congratulate you.”

Jim stared. It was the first time he could ever remember that Nigel didn’t refer to him as ‘Stevens’.

“Thanks, Nigel,” he said. “You put up an amazing fight. I’d never felt so energized.”

“Nor have I, which is what I really wanted. Do your best against Cheren, Jim. Even if you don’t win, you deserve to be in the finals more than I do.”

He held out his hand, and Jim warmly shook it, the cheers in the crowd redoubling.

Absolutely unbelievable!” Burton roared into his mic. “The most fantastic ending to a semifinal match I’ve ever seen! There are simply not enough words to describe what I’ve just witnessed!”

“I can think of a fair few myself,” said Alder, who had kept his control better than his co-announcer. “That took remarkable bravado and determination. I think we’re in for quite a show tomorrow, when Jim and Cheren face off for the cup.”

“Right you are, Mr. Champion, as always!” said Burton. “Ladies and gentleman, we now have our main event: Jim Stevens vs. Cheren, both natives of Nuvema Town! Who will bring home the prize, and have the honor of facing our own Champion Alder? Find out tomorrow!”

Chapter 47
The Breath Before the Plunge​

Jim and Nigel’s clash of the titans was still being talked about that night over dinner. Cruise was giving an ecstatic play by play, acting as if no one else had been there.

“And Escavalier dove right through the flames and took Torch out, but him along with it! Didn’t he, Solomon?”

“Yes, Cruise, you’re quite correct,” said Solomon, wearily.

It finally ended when Cruise’s Serperior shut him him up by putting his tail over his master’s mouth. This made everyone laugh.

Nigel, meanwhile, cast a glance at June, who was eating heartily.

“I say, Jim, is your Snivy well? She seems to have put on a few pounds.”

“Yeah, we only just noticed yesterday,” said Jim, “but she’s fine, aren’t you, girl?”

June looked up and smiled that usual smile of hers.

“Do you intend for her to battle tomorrow? She doesn’t appear to be in prime fighting form.”

“She will be,” said Jim. “Nothing short of a natural disaster is going to keep June from battling, and even then, you’d have to hold her back from rushing in.”

June seemed to appreciate this praise, as she nuzzled against Jim’s arm. Nigel couldn’t help but grin at this.

“That last match is gonna be tough to top,” said the Guy. “You’re in the final bout now. You’ve got to give those people their money’s worth. They came to see an epic clash, and that’s what you’ve gotta give them.”

“You’re saying I wasn’t going to even without knowing that?” Jim asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Nah, course not,” said the Guy, chuckling. “I’m just saying, the both of you are gonna be broadcast live, coast to coast, duking it out. You’ve gotta show them why you came to this point in the first place.”

“Duly noted,” said Cheren.

Jim looked at his best friend. He was speaking calmly enough, but he wondered what was really going through his head. Was he, like him, feeling a whirlwind of emotions: nervousness, excitement, and a touch of nausea? It was always hard to tell with him.

“Gosh,” said Bianca, “all this time I’ve been rooting for both Jim and Cheren to make it to the finals, and now that they have, I don’t know who to root for!”

“Root for whoever’s kicking the other’s butt,” said Cruise, removing Serperior’s tail from his face. “That’s an easy solution.”

“Tactful as always, Cruise,” said Solomon, sardonically.

“Just enjoy the battle for what it is, Bianca,” said Jim. “I won’t feel bad if you’re not rooting for me the whole time.”

“Nor will I, if you’re not rooting for me,” said Cheren. “Jim and I just want to give a good battle, show each other what we’ve come to learn after all this time.”

“Wouldn’t have put it better myself,” said Jim, proudly.

Bianca smiled.

“Ok! I’ll still be behind both of you guys!”

“And so will I,” said Leanne. “You’re both amazing Trainers, and you deserve this. Whoever wins and whoever loses won’t change a thing.”

“I’m just proud that my boy’s made it this far altogether,” said Mrs. Stevens, giving her son’s shoulder a squeeze. “Your father would have loved to see you now, battling for the championship.”

“Thanks, Mom,” said Jim, softly.

This was what Jim liked best of all about all this: not merely the thought of being part of the Pokemon League competition, nor that he was about to enter the biggest battle of his life, but that he was surrounded by friends and family who were with him no matter what, and who would watch him with pride and good will in their hearts. It was moments like these that made him forget all about Team Plasma, and Ghetsis, and Zekrom, and N. Although, he still often wondered where N was right now. Wherever Zekrom was looming, he surely was with him, but they’d heard no reports of the Deep Black Pokemon soaring through the sky. Just what was he up to, and what was Team Plasma really planning?

His thoughts were interrupted by a loud, long belch from Cruise that turned all eyes upon him, most in exasperation. His empty soda glass was evidence enough.

“What?” he asked, innocently.

Serperior rolled his eyes.

***​

That evening, while Jim decided to take a walk around the grounds with his friends, his Pokemon, plus Leanne’s, were conversing amongst each other in a grassy pavilion about what tomorrow would bring. June and Oshawott were sitting together under an oak tree.

“It’s hard to believe we’ve come so far,” said the former.

“I quite agree,” said Oshawott. “Why, I can still remember the day we first met, all the way back in Accumula Town.”

“Hmm, yes,” said June, fondly. “You were quite splendid in battle.”

“I?” asked Oshawott, amused. “You were truly the belle of the bout, my dear. Such grace, such precision, and knowing Leaf Blade so early, to boot.”

June smiled and giggled.

“I also remember,” Oshawott went on, wryly, “your treatment of my extensions of friendship towards you.”

“Extensions of friendship?” June asked, raising an eyebrow and putting her fists on her hips. “If that’s what you call being a cheeky flirt-”

“Ohh, cheeky, was I?” asked Oshawott. “You always were clever with terminology.”

“You’re impossible,” June sighed, but she smiled nonetheless.

Oshawott, however, lost his smile, which was quite a rare sight for the chivalrous Pokemon.

“Darling, what is it?” June asked, concern in her voice.

“I merely wonder what will become of us once we return from the League,” he said. “We spent all of our energies and capacities reaching this point, but what comes after? Had either of us, or even Jim or Leanne, given any thought to the return journey?”

June paused in surprise. Oshawott was right. With all of their concentration being on reaching the Pokemon League, she never thought about, nor heard Jim discuss, what they would do once the League was over and were on their way home. She had no doubt Jim would want to go back to Nuvema Town, and that was fine with her, but what about Leanne and Oshawott? They would most likely go back to Accumula. Would they ever see each other after that? There was no doubt about that, seeing as the two humans had grown very close. Still, this did leave some very serious food for thought…

She put a comforting paw on Oshawott’s, and he looked up at her.

“Jim and Leanne would never want to separate,” she said, softly, “not after all that we’ve been through. I’m sure he hasn’t let it pass out of his mind. He’s just been trying to concentrate on the League, that’s all. We’ll work this out.”

Oshawott mulled this over for a moment, then smiled again.

“Yes,” he said, finally. “You’re quite right, love. I was silly to think otherwise. I shan’t want to lose you so easily.”

“Nor I you,” said June, tenderly.

“Once we can settle down to a normal life again,” Oshawott added, “I’ll be the mate you’d always want. I’ll even cook your meals for you. I have yet to introduce your taste buds to my own fashion of cuisine.”

He patted June’s soft middle, and she giggled.

“I can hardly wait,” she said. “It’ll be so strange to settle down and not battle for a long time, but it’ll be worth it.”

“I concur, my dear.”

They clasped paws and kissed each other tenderly, unaware that Echo had been observing, quite by accident. The goofy Swoobat sighed to himself.

“Young love,” he said. “A wonderful thing.”

“I think so, too,” said a voice to his left, making him jump.

Tranquill was hovering beside him.

“You startled me,” said Echo, as the two settled on a branch together.

“Sorry,” she said. “I just caught the last of what those two were saying. I do hope Jim has thought about it, and Leanne too. I’d hate to be separated from you.”

“I’d never feel happy again if we were,” Echo confessed. “Jim’s a wonderful Trainer, and every Pokemon on the team is my friend, but without you, I’d feel like...well, like a piece inside me was missing.”

Tranquill smiled softly.

“You really do have a big heart under all that fluff,” she said, sidling up to him.

Echo felt his face go hot, and his eyes twinkled.

“Big enough for the both of us,” he said, softly, and he draped a wing over Tranquill, who nestled against his shoulder.

***​

Elsewhere, Torch, Torrent, and Lilligant were sitting beside each other, Lilligant beside Torrent, and Torch on the Simipour’s other side.

“You both are doing wonderfully,” said Lilligant, clasping Torrent’s arm. “Leanne and Oshawott told me everything. I wish I could have seen it for myself.”

“It’s not that big a deal,” said Torrent. “I doubt you’d have wanted to see us getting slapped around in the tougher parts.”

“I just wish I’d had the forethought to prepare some inter-battle jokes,” said Torch. “Being out of my old talents left me a little rusty, though.”

“Trust me,” Torrent said, “if you’d told some of your cornies to your opponents, they might have had even stronger reasons to rip you a new one.”

“Oh yeah?” Torch challenged, grinning. “Well, I still haven’t forgotten my best jokes. I’ve been saving them for a special occasion.”

He stood up and cleared his throat. Torrent rolled his eyes in a way that said ‘here we go’, and Lilligant giggled.

“I know a Sandile who was so dumb,” Torch began.

“How dumb was he?” said Torrent, as if he were wearily reading a cue card.

“He was so dumb, he forgot Bite so he could learn Crunch. Now, whenever he eats, he takes the plate with him!”

Torrent groaned and smacked his forehead with his palm.

“But hey,” Torch said, shrugging, “better than the Stoutland who replaced Bite with Ice Fang. He had to learn Fire Fang just to defrost the food he just bit into!”

Lilligant giggled, but Torrent groaned again.

“Lilligant’s got better taste than you, bro,” said Torch, teasingly. “And that’s saying something, since she doesn’t have a mouth.”

“Don’t you go insulting my girl!” Torrent snapped, raising a threatening fist at Torch.

“Whoa, whoa, hey!” Torch spluttered, stepping back. “I meant no harm by it! Lilli, you know that, don’t you?”

“Of course, Torch,” said Lilligant. “I thought it was funny.”

Torrent hesitated, and he sighed and lowered his fist.

“Just keep practicing,” he said, “Clowns have to be ridiculous, but they still have to be funny, too.”

Torch sighed with relief at avoiding being punched in the nose, and sat back down.

“I wonder how the circus is doing without us,” he mused.

“From what it says in the papers, they’re still going strong,” said Torrent. “We’re mentioned sometimes. Don’t you ever read the papers?” he added, irritated that his brother hadn’t been keeping up.

“Sure I do! Just the-”

“Funnies, I know,” Torrent cut in, wearily.

“See? You do understand my humor,” said Torch, proudly.

“Bro, it doesn’t take a genius to understand Bad Pun-ese.”

Lilligant laughed.

“Aw, what do you know?” Torch muttered, waving his brother off, who settled to snuggling up beside Lilligant.

***​

In another corner of the pavilion, Jolt, Spade, Rok, and Croco were sitting together, while Missy, Zorua, and Larvesta were playing around. The little Tricky Fox and Torch Pokemon would often pounce on the Sky Squirrel Pokemon and tickle her belly, as it was such an easy target. Missy giggled and laughed out loud, and would tease Zorua by playing keep away with her tail when she got back up, making him miss it by inches with his playful nipping, while Larvesta let off little puffs of flame in his enthusiasm. The older Pokemon smiled at their antics.

“Ah remember when Ah was still a little Drilbur,” said Spade. “Sometime Ah’d play with Mr. Clay’s smaller Pokemon. Pa said Ah was unbeatable at hide and seek.”

“Your dad’s mighty proud of you, sport,” said Croco, clapping Spade on the shoulder. “He talks about you a lot back home. He and Junior are both rootin’ for ya.”

Spade smiled warmly.

“Thanks, Mr. Croco. There’s been somethin’ Ah’ve been meanin’ to ask.”

“Yeah?”

“What are ya gonna do once the tournament’s over? Are you gonna go back with Mr. Clay?”

“Most likely,” said Croco. “Jim’s a great kid, but I’ve never felt more at home than I do with Clay. Though, I gotta be honest,” Croco added, with a rough chuckle, “if Jim hadn’t caught my keister back in the desert, I wouldn’t be where I was. I’d still be a desert rat pilfering camps and stealing wallets. I owe a lot to that kid.”

“As do I,” said Jolt.

“What, you?” asked Croco, disbelieving. “What problems could you have, Stripes? You’ve gotta be the most mature out of all of us.”

Jolt smiled wryly.

“I’m glad you think so,” said Jolt, “but before I met Jim, I was a bit of a troublemaker. I grew up in a herd of many Blitzle, and I wanted to be the best out of all of them. I wanted to learn Flame Charge before they did, and I did, but I couldn’t get it to work properly, so I became a little aggressive. Jim, however, understood me. I wasn’t enthused when he caught me, at first, but when he showed me that he knew how I was feeling, I let him bring me along, and in that way, I did learn to control my Flame Charge and utilize my Motor Drive Ability in a clever way. He’s a good man, Jim, and I wouldn’t want any other Trainer.”

“Me owe lots to Jim-friend too,” said Rok.

“What is this, ‘How Jim Saved My Hinder’?” Croco grunted.

Rok looked at him in puzzlement.

“Never mind,” Croco said, waving his hand at him. “Go ahead.”

“Me not know much about the world when me wake up,” Rok said, “but Jim-friend always patient with me. He try to teach me how to fly. He make me new Nepi Berry mix. He let me stay with Mama Juniper so me grow into big, strong Archeops. Me would never leave Jim-friend for anything.”

“Nor would I,” chipped in Spade. “He’s been awful patient with me, even when Ah started out slow. It’s cuz of him that Ah was able to take down a Gigalith and evolve into an Excadrill. And it’s cuz of him that Ah met Mr. Croco, who helped make it all possible.”

“Ah, well,” grunted Croco. “It was nothin’. Both of us needed a change, and the time was right.”

“You’re a real softy, Croco,” said Jolt.

“I am not!” Croco snapped.

“Croco softy!” trilled Rok.

“Shut it, bird brain!” Croc growled.

The others paid his insults no mind, though, and went on chatting into the night, while Croco muttered, “These guys are turning me into a mush-heart…”

Whatever their individual thoughts or conversations were that night, all of them had the same singular thoughts on their minds: their dedication to Jim, and their hope to see him do his best in his battle with Cheren tomorrow. It was too fine an evening for gloomy thoughts…

***​

“Tomorrow?”

“Yes. The final battle of the tournament will be on.”

“Then we make our move tomorrow.”

“Yes, but after the battle.”

“Why?”

“The Pokemon will be weary. We shan’t be interfered with.”

“Ah, yes, I agree. We wouldn’t want that.”

“No, indeed. Our time will finally come…”

Chapter 48
Jim vs. Cheren (Part 1)​

If yesterday’s gala celebrations were extravagant, it was nothing compared to those that happened today. Fireworks filled their air like an entire galaxy of stars, and a full band played a rousing tune to get the crowd excited. A palpable tension and excitement filled the air, an excitement that could be sensed in Charlie Burton’s voice as he welcomed everyone.

“Helloooooo, Unova!” he roared. “And welcome to the final battle of this year’s Victory Mountain Conference! We have had quite a competition this year, and have seen battling styles without peer! Today, we are about to witness the clash between the two Trainers who have made it the farthest through these grueling challenges! Isn’t that right, Mr. Champion?”

“Quite right, Charlie,” said Alder, his weatherbeaten face beaming. “It’s rare that I see such fiery competition. This year’s Trainers are the pick of the litter, as far as I see, but of course, no Trainer is any less important than another. Everyone has given their all, and proven, beyond a doubt, why they have come to this point. We’re in for an impressive display today.”

“That we are!” said Burton. “Let’s not waste any time and introduce our Trainers! First off, on the left side of the battlefield, the young man who has become known as Plasma’s Bane, the owner of the Pokemon who put on that inspiring opening ceremony performance, and the winner of the Nimbasa Battle Tournament, Jim Stevens!”

The crowd roared with applause as Jim took his place. He threw a wave to the audience, especially to his friends, who were going wild. June was sitting on his shoulder, and she too waved.

“And on the right side of the battlefield,” continued Burton, “the young man who has, to put it bluntly, absolutely curb-stomped his way to the finals with amazing strategy and powerhouse Pokemon, Cheren!”

Cheren took his place, the cheers and screams for him no less than those for Jim. His usually pale face was alight, and the sunlight danced off his spotless glasses.

“Whenever you’re ready, boys!” called Burton. “Let’s get this show on the road!”

Jim and Cheren stood looking at each other for some moments, neither sure of what to say to the other. This was all so much to take: the two of them about to battle each other for the winner’s cup and the chance to battle Alder! The two best friends, briefly enemies, were here at the end of it all at last.

At last, Cheren spoke, his voice rather thick.

“Good luck, Jim.”

“You too, Cheren,” Jim answered.

Cheren drew his first Poke Ball.

“Stoutland, you’re first!” he called, throwing it.

The sturdy Stoutland appeared on the battlefield, where it gave a competitive growl.

“Think you can handle this, June?” Jim asked his Snivy.

“Watch me,” said June, and she leaped down onto the ground.

Jim was pleased, but also a little surprised. June was only a little thinner since she binged after the battle with Solomon, yet she still seemed as nimble as ever. Then again, he wondered why he should question it, when Missy could move with ease with an even bigger belly.

“Are you sure June should be battling?” Cheren asked. “She doesn’t look in proper condition.”

“If she wants to battle, I’m going to let her,” said Jim. “If she wasn’t in a condition to battle, she’d have let me know.”

Cheren smiled at this. Jim did understand his Pokemon really well.

“Very well, then,” he said. “You have the first turn.”

“How gracious,” said Jim.

He was becoming more and more at his ease with this playful banter, and now, he gave the first command of this battle.

“June, kick this off with Energy Ball!”

June leaped into the air, holding one paw upwards. A glowing green and yellow ball of light formed in it, and she tossed it at Stoutland. It exploded against his face, but he seemed to just shrug it off.

“Stoutland, Thunder Fang!” said Cheren.

Stoutland bounded at June, fangs bared and glowing with yellow electricity. June had just landed from giving her attack, and so had no time to react. She was picked up in Stoutland’s jaws and cried out in pain as the electricity coursed into her body. He then gave her a toss straight into the air.

“Now go for a Crunch!” said Cheren.

Stoutland crouched and leaped upwards, fangs bared again, but this time glowing white.

“June, use Aerial Ace!”

June twisted herself about, so that she was nose-first toward the ground, and zoomed down like a missile, arms spread out like wings. She swerved to the side to avoid Stoutland’s fangs and slammed into him from that angle. Both Pokemon came tumbling down, but both landed deftly on their feet.

“Not bad,” said Cheren. “I see she’s still as dexterous as ever, but we still have plenty of gas left. Stoutland, Thunder Fang, once again!”

Stoutland lunged for June, fangs sparking once more.

“June, use Toxic, then get out of the way!” said Jim,

June raised her paw, a swirling, bubbling mass of purple gunk forming in her palm. She lobbed it at Stoutland, covering its face in the stuff, then leaped aside as his electrified bite missed. Stoutland shuddered, and its body turned a sickly purple. Cheren’s brow furrowed slightly.

“I knew you would pull that old trick out,” said Cheren, “but I didn’t think so soon.”

“Hey, you gave me the perfect opportunity,” said Jim. “June, Energy Ball!”

June formed and tossed another ball of green energy at Stoutland, the explosion knocking the canine Pokemon back and making him flinch, added to the bite of the poison in his system.

“Stoutland, Giga Impact!” said Cheren.

Stoutland crouched, an intense golden light surrounding his body. Then, he charged forward, the light streaking behind him like flames.

“Hold him back, June! Leaf Storm!”

June twisted herself into the air, a cloud of leaves surrounding her. These leaves then shot forward in a concentrated mass right at Stoutland. The barrage stopped him short, but he still kept on coming, albeit slower and slower. June strained, her teeth set, as she kept the barrage of leaves going. At last, Stoutland, with a grimace of concentration, broke through, slamming into June and sending her flying. She landed on all fours, one eye closed from the impact. Stoutland shuddered again, his coat flickering purple. He needed to recharge from using Giga Impact.

“Now’s our chance, June,” said Jim. “Give Stoutland another Energy Ball!”

June held up both paws this time, and an Energy Ball slightly larger than previous ones appeared above them, like a miniature green sun. She tossed it, and it slammed against the sturdy Pokemon. He was looking in pretty bad shape.

“Stoutland, we can still salvage this,” said Cheren. “Reversal!”

Stoutland got to his feet and crouched, a coil of white light surging around his body. Jim felt a shudder go through him. He remembered what Reversal had done the last time it was used, and knew this spelled trouble for June.

“June, try to hold him off again with another Leaf Storm!”

Once more, June summoned a cloud of leaves that swirled around her. Just as Stoutland charged, she fired. The leaves swarmed around him once again, but he still charged through. June tried to pour on more power into the attack, just as she did against Golurk. Her face turned red with the exertion, and her breath came in sharp pants. Stoutland was beginning to lose steam, the purple glow of the poison becoming stronger, and still the struggle went on.

Finally, with a noise like a weak growl, Stoutland stopped its charge, and June’s Leaf Storm subsided, the Big-Hearted Pokemon mere inches from the Snivy. With another glimmer of sickly purple, Stoutland collapsed onto its face.

“Stoutland is unable to battle! Snivy wins!”

The first blow had gone to Jim. He’d taken out Stoutland, who had thus far proven to be a prime battler in Cheren’s team. However, as Cheren recalled him, Jim wondered if he wouldn’t go straight to Emboar and finish June off with one Flamethrower. June herself was looking worn out from having to exert two Leaf Storm attacks, and from taking a Giga Impact head-on, but there was still a competitive flame in her red eyes.

“Unfezant, go!” called Cheren.

In a blaze of light, a male Unfezant appeared in the air. Jim felt another shudder go through his frame, the same kind as when Skyla used Unfezant against him in their Gym Battle. June’s pupils shrunk, and she could not suppress the urge to take a step back. The memories of a dark, stormy day long ago were still haunting her. However, she seemed to steel her nerves, and stepped forward once again.

“Let’s just put that thing into a bad state for whoever fights next,” Jim said. “June, Toxic!”

June raised her paw and formed another glob of purple, poisonous goop in it. A smile appeared on Cheren’s face.

“Unfezant, use U-Turn!”

As June lobbed the Toxic attack, Unfezant flew straight at the Snivy, glowing a grassy green color. The poison splashed against him, but he didn’t seem to take notice. He struck her hard, sending her for a tumble and making her land on her soft belly. Then, all of a sudden, he disappeared in a flash of the same green glow into his Poke Ball. Before Jim could question it, June attempted to rise, but ultimately failed and flopped down, too weak to continue.

“Snivy is unable to battle! Unfezant wins!”

Jim stepped forward and scooped his dear partner up, returning to his side of the field and setting her gently down.

“You did a fine job, girl,” he said, softly. “Get a good rest.”

A small smile flitted across her face before she appeared to fall asleep.

"And now," said Cheren, "Unfezant shall kick back while I send in my next fighter: Sawsbuck!”

He tossed his next Poke Ball, and a Spring Form Sawsbuck, its antlers decorated with pink flower buds, appeared and pawed the earth.

“Going for a Grass type, huh?” Jim said. “Ok, then I know what to go to now. Torch, it’s all you!”

The Simisear appeared on the battlefield, where he cracked his knuckles and got into a battle stance.

“A shame you’re the only one who can understand him, Jim,” said Cheren. “Leanne told me he’s a comedian, and I’d have loved to hear what kind of jokes he tells.”

Torch looked delighted.

“Corny classics, Cheren,” said Jim. “The best kind.”

Torch beamed proudly. He looked like he was aching for Torrent to hear his humor being complemented by other people.

“Well, let’s get down to business, then,” said Cheren. “Sawsbuck, Swords Dance!”

Sawsbuck raised its head, and its antlers glowed purple and extended, with a faint sound like the unsheathing of a sword.

“That doesn’t sound good,” Jim muttered. “Torch, use Flamethrower!”

Torch spewed a big stream of flames straight at Sawsbuck.

“Dodge and use Double-Edge!”

Sawsbuck sprang away from the fire and galloped right at Torch, glowing white. He rammed right into him, sending him skidding back, while Sawsbuck flinched. Jim reasoned that Double-Edge was a recoil-damage attack, that hurt the user as well as the opponent.

“Ok, Torch, go for Acrobatics!”

Torch leaped into the air, somersaulting rapidly as he did so.

“Sawsbuck, catch him in midair with Jump Kick!”

Sawsbuck whipped around, pulled in its back legs, then struck out at the air with them, catching Torch mid-somersault right in the stomach. Torch let out a groan of pain as he was thrown backwards.

“Now, go at him with Horn Leech!”

Sawsbuck charged for Torch, its antlers glowing green. He caught him in the torso once again, and green bubbles of light ran down Sawsbuck’s antlers into the point where they attached to its skull. A soft glow surrounded its entire body as it backed off, and Torch got back up, wincing.

“What was that?” Jim asked.

“Horn Leech,” explained Cheren. “It allows Sawsbuck to regain a little health. It should make up for the recoil it experience in Double-Edge.”

“Smart move,” Jim muttered, before shouting, “Torch, Flamethrower!”

Torch spewed another stream of flames at Sawsbuck.

“Dodge it, then go for another Double-Edge!”

Sawsbuck leaped aside as the flames soared past, then charged at Torch once again.

“Oh yeah? Torch, use Dig!”

Torch, despite his pain, burrowed his way underground, avoiding Sawsbuck’s charge. A few moments later, the Ember Pokemon sprang out of the ground to Sawsbuck’s right.

“Flamethrower!” Jim commanded.

Torch unleashed another blast of flames, this time catching the Season Pokemon. Sawsbuck’s buds smoked, and it looked in considerable pain.

“Now let’s give it another Acrobatics!” said Jim.

Torch touched down, then used his momentum to spring back into the air, somersaulting as he did so.

“Jump Kick!” ordered Cheren.

Sawsbuck struck out again, but this time missed as Torch sailed over. Sawsbuck cringed, as if in considerable pain, and the agile monkey Pokemon slammed down hard on its back with both feet, flattening it to the ground. He bounced off, and Sawsbuck, making one last attempt to rise, finally gave in.

“Sawsbuck is unable to battle! Simisear wins!”

“That looked like it really hurt,” Jim said, sympathetically, as Cheren recalled Sawsbuck.

“It did. Jump Kick racks up recoil damage if it misses. It must have been that failed kick that sealed its defeat. Still, your Simisear is quite clever.”

Torch crossed his arms with a proud grin.

“But that doesn’t mean he’s out of the woods yet,” warned Cheren. “Beartic, you’re up!”

He tossed his next Poke Ball, and his Beartic appeared. It flexed its claws and snorted aggressively. Jim was puzzled.

(Why is he sending out an Ice type against a Fire type? Just what is he up to?...)

“Ok, Torch. Start us off with an old standard! Flamethrower!”

Torch sent another blast of flames from his mouth.

“Beartic, counter with Brine!”

Jim’s eyes widened. So that was the reason!

Beartic opened its mouth wide, and a stream of water spewed from it, dousing the Flamethrower and tossing Torch for a loop. He struggled slowly to his feet, having taken quite a beating already.

“Torch, hang in there!” said Jim. “Go for Solarbeam!”

Torch raised his hands toward the sun, catching its warmth on his palms, then cupped them at his side.

“Oh, no you don’t!” said Cheren. “Beartic, stop him with Brick Break!”

Beartic charged straight at Torch, arm raised and glowing red.

“Torch!!” Jim yelled.

Torch threw his arms forward, just as Beartic struck. He socked Torch hard in the face, but was blown back a second later by the Solarbeam. He skidded across the dirt, trying to keep balance, and finally, with a roar, shook the blast off, though it left a sizzling mark in its fur. Torch, meanwhile, had been knocked out cold by the Brick Break attack.

“Simisear is unable to battle! Beartic wins!”

Jim recalled Torch to his Poke Ball.

“Great job, buddy,” he said. “You earned a rest. Now let’s see if your brother can finish the job. Torrent, let’s do this!”

He tossed his next Poke Ball, and Torrent appeared on the battlefield, looking calmly up at the brutish Beartic.

“Show him what you’re made of, Torrent! Use Hydro Pump!”

“Fight back with Brine!”

As Torrent threw his hands forward and unleashed a surging wave of water from them, Beartic spewed another wild Brine attack. The two Water attacks met in the middle and fought for control. However, Torrent’s Hydro Pump was stronger, and soon pushed the Brine back, buffeting and soaking Beartic.

“Not bad,” admitted Cheren, “but we’ll do better. Beartic, Ice Beam!”

“Give him a taste of your own Ice Beam!” said Jim.

Beartic fired a bolt of icy lightning from his maw, while Torrent, holding one arm up in shotgun fashion, launched a similar bolt from his finger. The beams clashed and cancelled each other out, leaving a frosty mist in the air.

“All right, Torrent, go in for a Brick Break!”

Torrent charged forward, his forearm glowing red. Jim was expecting Cheren to counter with his own Brick Break attack, but he didn’t.

“Beartic, Thrash!”

With a roar of rage, and a red gleam briefly appearing around its shaggy body, Beartic charged, shoulder-first at Torrent, who struck, but didn’t seem to have been noticed, as he was merely bowled over by the oncoming wall of white fur and fury. He didn’t stop there, either. He charged, bashed, and slammed against the poor Geyser Pokemon repeatedly, not giving him a chance to get up. Torrent was bruised and battered when Beartic finally backed off, but now the giant bear was stomping about, as if having a tantrum.

“Of course,” Jim muttered. “Thrash leaves the Pokemon in confusion afterwards. If I’m lucky, I might be able to end this.”

“Beartic, Brick Break!” Cheren commanded.

“You do the same, Torrent!” Jim said.

Though weary and beaten, Torrent stood proud and tall and charged at Beartic, arm glowing once more, as Beartic did the same. Unfortunately, it seemed like the confusion didn’t leave its impact, as the Freezing Pokemon hit Torrent a stinging blow across the face, just as Torrent landed a sharp hit to its midsection. Both Pokemon flew back and collapsed onto their backs, though Torrent was knocked out before he even hit the ground. Beartic, meanwhile, struggled to get back to its feet, but ultimately fell back in exhaustion.

“Simipour and Beartic are both unable to battle! This match-up is a draw!”

Last edited:
Chapter 49
Jim vs. Cheren: Part 2​

Jim was getting a strong sense of deja vu as both he and Cheren recalled their Pokemon. In his last couple matches, when things were going down to the wire, both Pokemon ended up knocking themselves out, right at about the middle of the match. He thought he could chalk it up to coincidence, but he also remarked that this was also a sign that the battle was getting very intense. Both he and Cheren were back on even ground, and he had to tread carefully. At least his bruiser of a Beartic was out of the way.

“We’ve made it over the hump, Jim,” said Cheren. “It’s just down to the last halves of our team.”

‘Right, Cheren,” said Jim. “This is where the real show begins.”

“I concur. Unfezant, it’s time to take your place again!”

Cheren tossed his Poke Ball, and Unfezant appeared once more. A sickly purple hue colored him for a moment before vanishing; he was still poisoned.

“Let’s make this a sky battle, then,” Jim challenged. “Rok, you’re up!”

In a blaze of light and sharp trill, the Archeops appeared in the sky.

“An aerial combat, is it?” Cheren asked. “Fine with me. Unfezant, Air Slash!”

Unfezant raised his wings, which glowed a bright blue, and flapped them hard, sending a shower of wind saws at Rok.

“Use Rock Slide!”

Rok raised his wings, glowing white briefly, then threw them downwards. A shower of stones rained down from the air. Several made most of the Air Slashes dissipate, but some still reached Rok, buffeting against him.

“All right, Rok, use Dragon Pulse!”

Rok reared his head back, then breathed a stream of bluish-purple flames at Unfezant.

“Dodge, Unfezant, then use Facade!”

Unfezant swerved out of the way, then charged right at Rok, glowing with a fierce golden light, which seemed to intensify when the purple hue of poison briefly lit up. He struck Rok hard against the chest, and Rok fell back, looking much more battered than a Rock-type should have when hit by a Normal attack.

Then Jim remembered: Facade was stronger when the user was afflicted with a burn, paralysis, or poisoning. Cheren had let June poison Unfezant on purpose, just to give him an edge.

“Very sneaky,” he muttered. “He’s definitely had that planned for a long time. Well, we’ll give him a run for his money.” He called up, “Rok, use Aerial Ace!”

“Unfezant, Air Slash!”

Unfezant unleashed another wave of air-saws, while Rok swooped toward him, gliding this way and that to avoid the onslaught. He rammed right against Unfezant, who flew back, glimmering with the hue of poison once again.

“All right, it’s all or nothing now,” said Cheren. “Unfezant, Sky Attack!”

Unfezant raised his wings and let out a long, shrill cry. Blue flames surrounded his body and intensified every second.

“Rok, try to throw him off with Rock Slide!” Jim commanded.

As Unfezant finished charging up and launched himself at Rok, Rok threw his wings down and sent another shower of stones raining down. However, whether Unfezant dodged them or not, it didn’t matter, as they broke to pieces against him anyway. Both Jim and Rok were alarmed.

“Rok, use Dragon Pulse!”

Rok sent forth another stream of draconic flames, but Unfezant seemed to blaze right through them, surrounding him in even more fire. He struck home against Rok’s chest, and the mighty Archeops tumbled from the sky, flopping down onto his back.

“Rok!” Jim yelled.

Rok tried to rise, but could not find the strength, and fell back.

“Archeops is unable to battle! Unfezant wins!”

Jim sighed and recalled Rok.

“You did a great job, buddy,” he muttered, kindly. “Get some rest.”

He readied his next Poke Ball, but before he could do anything, Unfezant let out a choked cry. The purple glow of poison intensified, and he suddenly fell out of the air and fell down. Cheren looked dumbfounded, and so did the referee.

“Er, Unfezant is also unable to battle!” he said. “This match-up is a draw!”

“I’ve never seen that happen before,” Jim said. “A Pokemon fainting after the other one’s already been recalled.”

“Neither have I,” said Cheren. “But Unfezant gave it his best, and I’m proud.”

He recalled the avian Pokemon, and both Trainers readied their next Poke Balls.

“Gigalith, go!”

“Spade, go!”

The hardy Excadrill and Cheren’s Gigalith appeared on the battlefield. Spade’s eyes narrowed as he eyed the rocky Pokemon, and he flexed his claws dangerously. Gigalith growled in a low, rumbling way.

“Spade, go for Metal Claw!”

Spade dashed toward Gigalith, claws bared and gleaming silver.

“Gigalith, Earthquake!”

Gigalith raised one foot and stamped it hard on the ground. Spade lost his footing from the violent tremors and was tossed into the air.

“Now, use Flash Cannon!”

Gigalith opened its mouth, the crystals on its body flaring up with red-orange light. Soon after, a beam of silver light shot from its mouth right up at Spade.

“Spade, Drill Run, now!” Jim yelled.

Spade quickly inverted himself, closed himself up within his claws, and dove downward, spinning rapidly. The Flash Cannon missed him by inches, and he plunged straight down into the dirt. A few moments later, he sprang back up right beneath Gigalith, sending the enormous Pokemon stumbling backward. Spade was still up in the air, so Cheren yelled,

“Solarbeam!”

Gigalith’s crystal’s flared brighter than ever, and, after a few seconds charging, a beam of golden light shot from its mouth. It hit Spade just as he unfolded and sent him plummeting earthward again.

“Couldn’t blaze through that one, could you?” Cheren joked, as Spade got back to his feet.

“Very funny,” said Jim.

“Gigalith, use Stone Edge!”

Gigalith summoned a swirling cloud of jagged stones around itself.

“Go through them with Drill Run!” Jim said.

Spade folded himself up once again and shot forward, as Gigalith launched its stones. They broke against Spade’s drill, and the Subterenne Pokemon struck against the Ore Pokemon squarely in the chest. It wobbled backwards.

“Give it a Metal Claw, Spade!” said Jim.

Spade drew one arm back, claws gleaming.

“Earthquake!” yelled Cheren.

Gigalith stomped the ground, shaking it violently and sending Spade flying once again.

“Use that to your advantage, Spade!” Jim yelled. “Drill Run, straight for Gigalith!”

Spade righted himself, closed himself up, and dove straight for Gigalith.

“Flash Cannon!” Cheren commanded.

Gigalith fired another silver beam upwards, but Spade evaded it and barreled straight down.

*WHAM!!*

He landed, point-first, right on Gigalith’s stony skull. The rocky Pokemon’s eyes bugged out, and it teetered even more dizzily than before. As Spade landed back on the ground, Gigalith fell, with a groan, onto its side.

“Gigalith is unable to battle! Excadrill wins!”

A rush of excitement flooded through Jim’s veins as Cheren recalled Gigalith. He had made it! He had brought Cheren down to his final Pokemon! The crowd seemed to sense it, too, as they had worked themselves into a frenzy of excitement. However, Jim also knew that this final Pokemon was going to be the showstopper: Cheren’s Emboar.

“I’m very much impressed, Jim,” Cheren said. “You’ve brought me to my final team member while you still have 2 left. Make no mistake, though. This final Pokemon of mine is last, but nowhere near least. Emboar, the time has come!”

He hurled his last Poke Ball, and Emboar appeared, his fiery beard crackling in the warm air. He snorted embers from his nostrils.

“Don’t be intimidated, Spade,” Jim consoled. “Just give it your best, and if the worst comes to it, Jolt will take care of the rest.”

“Right, Jim,” said Spade, not taking his eyes from Emboar’s.

“Use Drill Run!” Jim commanded.

Spade once more barreled forward in drill shape, right at Emboar.

“Hammer Arm!” Cheren ordered.

Emboar raised one burly arm, which glowed white, and brought it down hard as Spade got close. There was a nasty *crack!*, and Spade’s drill form came undone. Emboar had struck him right in the middle of the back.

The crowd groaned, and Jim winced. That must have hurt terribly…

Spade, however, struggled to get back to his feet. He wasn’t going down that easily.

“Atta boy!” Jim encouraged. “Use Slash!”

Spade struck at Emboar with his claws, which had elongated and glowed white. They hit Emboar across the chest, but it just seemed to shrug off the attack. The Mega Fire Pig Pokemon grinned unpleasantly.

“Uh oh…” muttered Spade and Jim together.

“Say good night, Spade,” said Cheren. “Flamethrower!”

Emboar breathed in deeply, then snorted a massive stream of flames from its nostrils, overcoming Spade and bathing him in a glowing, fiery veil.

“SPADE!!” Jim yelled.

The flames cleared, and there stood Spade, blackened and bruised. Emboar raised two fingers to its forehead in a kind of salute, and Spade fell back, the fight drained out of him.

“Excadrill is unable to battle! Emboar wins!”

A numbness fell over Jim. Both were now down to one Pokemon each, and Emboar was still relatively fresh. It had taken a Slash attack like it had been nothing. That Pokemon had come a long way from the Tepig he had first seen at Professor Juniper’s so long ago…

“You did a great job, Spade,” he said, recalling his faithful Pokemon. “Get some rest.”

Clouds had begun to form overhead, forming a gloomy, but otherwise appropriate, backdrop to such a tense moment. Then, with trembling fingers, Jim grabbed his last Poke Ball. The time had finally come.

“Jolt!” he shouted, in a voice that was oddly high in his nervousness. “It’s time! You’re my last hope!”

He threw the ball, and in a blaze of light, compounded by a streak of lightning, Jolt appeared on the field. He stared Emboar down, pawing at the ground in an aggressive manner. Emboar snorted flames, clenching his fists.

Neither Trainer made a move or said a single word. The entire stadium was silent, save for a distant rumble of thunder. This was it: the very last combat of the Pokemon League, the final showdown between the final Pokemon, a true clash of the titans between Cheren’s strongest Pokemon, and one of Jim’s strongest.

Then, it happened all at once.

“Jolt, Thunderbolt!”

“Emboar, Flamethrower!”

A massive bolt of lightning surged from Jolt’s body, his white stripes aglow, while Emboar breathed an enormous flame. The two attacks struck in mid-air and exploded, sending a cloud of smoke billowing between the two combatants. It had begun.

“Jolt, use Wild Charge!”

“Emboar, you do the same!”

Jolt blazed forward into the smoke, trailing an aura of crackling lightning in his wake. To Jim’s surprise, Emboar did the very same, charging forward with the terrifying speed of a bull, glowing with an aura of lightning of his own. The two struck against each other, and the arena was alight with golden electric light. Even in his agitation over the heat of the moment, Jim came to realize that Jolt would only receive recoil damage from such an attack. His Motor Drive Ability sucked up the electricity used against him by Emboar, and added to his speed. He wondered if Cheren had forgotten.

The two Pokemon sprang apart, Jolt’s stripes flickering yellow, Emboar panting slightly.

“That Motor Drive Ability,” Cheren muttered. “I’d nearly forgotten about it. I shan’t make that mistake again. Emboar, Flamethrower!”

“Jolt, Overheat!”

Emboar breathed another stream of flames, but the one Jolt shot forth was even more massive. It swallowed up Emboar’s flames and swept over the mighty Pokemon, who shielded his face with his arms. Even if it wasn’t very effective, it was still a massive bit of damage. Now it was Jolt’s turn to start panting.

“All right, Jolt, now that you’re nice and juiced up,” said Jim, with a wry smile, “show off your new Thrash attack!”

Jolt let out a fierce neigh and, just like Beartic before him, barreled straight at Emboar, slamming his body right into him. But he didn’t stop there. He zipped to another side and slammed from that angle, over and over again, buffeting and battering the huge Pokemon with a barrage of blows.

“Emboar, end that at once! Hammer Arm!”

Emboar, though knocked about and bruised from the onslaught, drew one arm back and slammed it against Jolt, hitting him right in the face and sending him skidding back. He was breathing heavily now, and a fire was alight in his eyes. Emboar was snorting embers, and looked ready to kill. Both Trainers seemed to realize that one more blow would be what was needed to end it all.

“Jolt,” said Jim, in a quivering but fierce voice, “it’s only fitting that we end this with a bang! Show Emboar your true power! Wild Charge, full throttle!”

Jolt let out a neigh that rent the air, and was accompanied by a crash of thunder. He tensed, and an aura of fierce electricity blazed around him as he glared fixedly at Emboar.

“Emboar, let’s match their bang with one of our own!” roared Cheren. “Head Smash!”

Emboar crouched, body tensed, as a fiery blue aura surrounded him. It seemed to come to a focal point at his skull, which was glowing white.

Everyone was on the edge of their seats. Jim’s family and friends were straining forward to see what would happen, while at the same time dreading it. Charlie Burton and Alder had pushed their microphones aside and were gazing down at the battlefield, eyes wide. Jim stooped down to shield a still-indisposed June against his chest, as he expected something titanic from this.

It was if someone had pushed fast forward on time. Both Pokemon charged at each other, Jolt in a blaze of electric yellow, Emboar in fiery blue, and seemed to cover the entire length of the battlefield in one second.

*BOOM!!*

The impact of the two Pokemon was like a bomb going off. Jim felt himself blown off his feet, and Cheren stumbled backwards, his glasses slipping. People screamed and shielded their eyes as the stadium erupted with a blaze of yellow and blue light. The very foundations seemed to rock, and the thunderhead-choked skies roared in tandem.

It was some time before either Trainer could come to their senses. Jim regained his footing and readjusted his glasses. June was still clasped to his chest, but the shock had woken her up. She blinked and gazed at the battlefield, before letting out a sharp gasp that Jim himself released as well.

The battlefield was a wreck, the ground gouged, scarred, and burnt, and there, in a clean patch like a crater, where Jolt and Emboar, their heads butted against each other, staring fixedly into each other’s eyes, neither yielding.

The air was silent. All eyes were on the two Pokemon. Any second now, one of them would fall, and the winner of this destructive bout would be decided. Jim felt a lump in his throat, and his insides churned like he was about to vomit. He was anxious to see who would come out on top, but also dreaded it.

And then, it happened.

Slowly, very slowly, even slower from Jim’s point of view, Jolt faltered, collapsed onto his knees, and fell to his side.

The battle, and the tournament, were over.

Jim had lost.

Chapter 50
The End?​

“Zebstrika is unable to battle!” roared the referee. “Emboar wins! The winner of the match, and of the Pokemon League Tournament, is Cheren!”

The stadium absolutely exploded with thunderous cheers and yells. Bianca and Leanne were screaming and shedding tears at the same time, while the boys clapped and whooped until their palms ached. Fireworks went off in the sky once more, and Cheren stood in the midst of it all, stunned, amazed, but happy.

Burton, meanwhile, was screaming himself hoarse.

“Ladies and gentlemen, I cannot believe what I’ve just seen!! An unprecedented, unparalleled clash of explosive proportions! It felt like the whole stadium was going to give way! These two boys have given their all, and it’s Cheren who has come out on top! It was a very narrow thing, too! Jim Stevens showed remarkable determination in the face of such a powerful opponent, matching him blow for blow! In all my years, I have never…”

As he blustered on, Alder merely smiled down at the two Trainers. It had been a long time since he had seen such raw talent and ability, and never had he felt such pride in the younger generation.

Jim had sunk to his knees. It felt as if all of the fight had drained out of his limbs. After all of their efforts, after coming so far, after everything he and his team had been through, to lose at such a pivotal point was devastating. Part of him wanted to be angry, but that merely gave way to a feeling of disappointment.

He felt a tug at his shirt, and looked down to see June gazing up at him. Her red eyes were full of sympathy.

“You did your best, Jim,” she said, “and you gave everyone a fight worthy of remembrance. You should be proud.”

Jim finally managed a smile.

“I am proud, June,” he said. “Even if I’m disappointed at losing, Cheren’s shown he’s the better Trainer. I can’t fault him for that. He put up a spectacular fight. He’ll make a fine Champion.”

June smiled and licked Jim’s cheek. He then got heavily to his feet and walked straight up to Jolt, who had raised his head. He kneeled down and put an arm around the Zebstrika’s neck.

“Jolt, you were spectacular,” he said. “I’ve never seen you like that before. I’m really proud of you.”

“Thanks, Jim,” said Jolt, weakly. “I only wish I could have done better.”

“You did what you could, old friend, and that’s all I need.”

Jolt smiled and laid his head against Jim’s shoulder.

“You deserve a good, long rest,” said Jim, holding up Jolt’s Poke Ball. “Return.”

Jolt disappeared inside his ball, the content smile still on his face. Just then, a shadow fell over Jim and June. The pair looked up to see Cheren standing over them. Emboar had been restored to his Poke Ball as well.

“Congrats, Cheren,” said Jim, standing back up. “You got me.”

“I did, but not so easily,” said Cheren. “You really gave me a run for my money, and that’s what I really wanted. Being the best isn’t as enjoyable when there’s no one to match your strength with, and I wouldn’t want anyone else to be my equal. I wouldn’t have even come this far without you. This is your victory as much as mine, old friend.”

Jim felt tears in his eyes, and felt the feeling flood back into his limbs. Cheren held out his hand, and the two performed their handshake: high-five, fist bump, thumbs up.

All of a sudden, Jim felt himself pulled into a tight, one-armed embrace that nearly made him choke. Professor Juniper had run out and was hugging both of them to her sides, causing the two of them to go red in the face.

“Professor!” Cheren gasped. “Can’t...breathe!”

“You two were unbelievable!” the professor cried, letting go of them. “You’ve both come such a long way since you first set out with June and Tepig. June may not have evolved, but she’s proven she doesn’t have to to be strong, and Emboar...well, what else can I say about Emboar? Cheren, you’ve raised him to be a fantastic Pokemon! I’m so proud of you two.”

“Thanks, Professor,” said Jim, modestly.

“As am I,” said a gruff voice.

Jim turned around to see the Guy standing behind him, a smile on his rough face, and his eyes were twinkling.

“You boys are just what I wanna see in today’s generation of Trainers,” he said. “Dedicated, compassionate, and clever. You two showed exactly why you earned your spots as winner and runner-up. Perhaps now Trainers will see what it means to raise and understand Pokemon.”

Jim felt his heart expanding like a balloon. The disappointment at losing was becoming less and less noticeable with the praise of his friends.

And there, stepping from behind the Guy, was his mother, beaming at him, and followed by Leanne, Bianca, Cruise, Solomon, and Nigel. All of them were smiling proudly upon the pair of them, though Mrs. Stevens and Leanne had their eyes on Jim. He allowed himself to collapse into his mother’s arms, and she kissed his forehead.

“I’m so proud of you, sweetie,” she said. “You were wonderful. I know your father would have given anything to see you battle like that…”

Jim couldn’t reply. He just rested against his mother, comforted by her words and her warmth. Cheren was being mobbed by Cruise, Solomon, Nigel, and Bianca, who were all talking excitedly about the match and how impressed they were with his performance. Bianca had been crying for both his win and Jim’s loss, but was proud of both of them. Cheren’s replies to their congratulations were short and modest, but his face was alight with joy.

Leanne came to Jim’s side as his mother released him. She enveloped him in her arms and kissed his cheek.

“You’re not disappointed, are you?” she asked.

“A little, but I’m more happy than that,” Jim said. “Cheren deserves this. How egotistical would it have been to be the White Hero, Plasma’s Bane, and Unova Champion all at once?”

Leanne smiled and giggled at this. Oshawott, meanwhile, went to June, who had been set back on the ground.

“Darling, you were spectacular! Such grace! Such dexterity! Such ferocity! I felt my heart banging behind my scalchop! Have you any idea what-?”

June didn’t answer by her words, but her lips pressed passionately against Oshawott’s. The gallant Sea Otter Pokemon, taken aback for a mere instant, returned the gesture with equal passion, their arms wrapped around each other. It was a jubilation for all. The tournament was over, the best of the best had been determined, and now Jim could look forward to a quiet life back home with his team.

And then, it happened.

There was a crash of thunder, and the ground began to shake violently. People screamed, shouted, and stumbled. That couldn’t have been caused by a mere thunderclap or bolt of lightning. Something huge was on the move…

That’s when Jim saw a sight that made his blood turn to ice.

There, rising up from behind the highest point of the stadium, an ancient-looking altar up a long flight of steps, was a massive, stone structure, rising higher and higher into the air. The ground shook as if in a great earthquake. The foundations of the stadium rattled, and pieces of it began to fall away in great chunks as the behemoth continued to rise.

That’s when Jim realized just what it was that was looming against the cloud-choked sky.

It was a castle.

Just like in his dreams.

It stood, looming above the frightened people, more like a city than a castle. It seemed to encapsulate the entire mountain, surrounding it like a great wall.

Then, with a great rattling roar, sections of the castle opened up, and long, black-stone walkways emerged, snaking their way down. With a great *BOOM!*, they made contact, converging on the plateau where the altar stood.

Jim couldn’t believe his eyes. What was going on? What was that monstrous castle, and where did it come from?! What did this all mean?!

His answer was soon to come, as an unearthly roar filled the thunderous sky, and a black shape soared out of a rent in the clouds, making for the castle, bearing a figure with vivid green hair.

END OF BOOK 2

***​

And here ends Book 2. Book 3, the final book, is shorter, I'm afraid, but hopefully you'll still like it. I'll start posting those tomorrow.

I hope you guys haven't been cheesed off with the constant chapter posts. I had these done way ahead of time, and am just posting them here en masse for your enjoyment. =)

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom