• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN001: Pikachu is Born!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did it take this long for us to get a Pikachu backstory episode that shows us his origin story?!
Maybe because they've been staying away from continuity since the failed reboot BW and only referencing the bare minimum or basics.

Pokemon has always been at its best (applies to the games too) when it's portrayed as a part of a continuity.

Not interested like most people here lol, would have preferred this type of episode in the middle of the series when Pikachu gets rekt in a Battle because of course he does in every series.

Why did it take this long for us to get a Pikachu backstory episode that shows us his origin story?!
Because they didn't see any need to establish a backstory back then. Same as Ash.

The writer for this episode is of course the main head wr...

actually no it's not, it's Reiko Yoshida of all people meaning (correct me if I'm wrong) this is the first Pokemon series to not have the main head-writer write the first episode.

actually no it's not, it's Reiko Yoshida of all people meaning (correct me if I'm wrong) this is the first Pokemon series to not have the main head-writer write the first episode.
I have seen other shows in which the head writer of a series doesn't write the 1st few episodes. So yeah, for Pokemon this is quite different.

Who was the head writer of AG?

THIS is what I'm here for! This is probably one of the most exciting things they have done in years. The trailer did very little to hype me up, if I'm being honest, but Pikachu backstory is so awesome. I really wonder what they are going to do, but I'm very happy to not know until I see it. I do hope they start all the way from the egg (I seriously doubt we will see Pikachu's actual parents though because of the whole "I just found this egg, I have no idea where it came from" stuff) and then meeting Pikachu's adopted family in present day will be really cool too if they take that route. But anyway, I'm really excited to see Pikachu as a Pichu, how he acts, how he interacts with his adopted family, and really curious about how/why he evolves, and finally how he becomes under the care of Oak.

Last edited:
Wow, Reiko Yoshida is writing a Pokémon episode and it's something as daring as a (possibly sad) backstory for the mascot himself?

Since Pikachu has a new form maybe he could get some character development like having trouble controlling himself as a giant. Maybe they could incorporate the backstory into that somehow.

Didn't Yoshida write Tokyo Mew Mew? I used to love that manga when I was a kid. Even if it was targeted at really young girls it still has some interesting themes like ecology and bullying.

Wow, Reiko Yoshida is writing a Pokémon episode and it's something as daring as a (possibly sad) backstory for the mascot himself?

Since Pikachu has a new form maybe he could get some character development like having trouble controlling himself as a giant. Maybe they could incorporate the backstory into that somehow.

Didn't Yoshida write Tokyo Mew Mew? I used to love that manga when I was a kid. Even if it was targeted at really young girls it still has some interesting themes like ecology and bullying.
She did. She also wrote the two Digimon movies directed by Mamoru Hosoda.

What confirmed this was a Pikachu origin story for me was Ikue Otani's voice coming out of that Pichu in the trailer.

One scene from the trailer shows Pikachu staring at his reflection in a puddle. I think this is shortly after he evolved from Pichu and has realized what has happened to him.

That made me realize something myself. All too often, Pokemon just go along with their evolutions, usually because they are in the middle of a battle or dangerous situation. Have we ever had a Pokemon look over their newly evolved form in awe? Like they are thinking "I... evolved? I EVOLVED!"

Last edited:
Until now, I didn't know the realtionship between this episode and between pokemon monsters 2019, can you explain?

Will ash will begin from the start when he got ash or go now? Is go and koharu in Sword and shield or in pokemon monsters? Well the girp from Sword and Shield will appear? Please explain it for me guys.

And thank you

I just read this information before seconds:-

"All we know about the series at this point is that it’s set to feature Pokémon and locations from all regions, ranging from Kanto to Galar, and it won’t exclusively focus on the Sword and Shield titles like previous entries in the cartoon series."

So maybe i am right. And if i am right then it will be an interezting idea to connet all regions with galar 8
In sword and shield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom