• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN064: The Detested Absol

Well, at least we now know the plots for JN075, JN086, and JN097. At least the episode wasn't 100% rehashing the AG episode, although I wish it was Ash who caught Absol.

I'm hoping Absol will be one of Goh's main team members following this episode. Mainly because, like the Suicune and Flygon captures, the Absol catch stands out from all the rest imo.
When was the last time Flygon or Suicune were relevant though?

tenor.gif

Boring. I almost slept through it.

Ugh, we cannot have two good eps in a row can we JN?

And ofc, Goh saves a Pokémon with an ball and they just capture themselves afterwards. Is this gonna be an regular thing from now on?

The only good thing is that Ash is still free to possibly capture more Pokémon.

4/10

What was even the point of bringing back Hodge if he was barely going to even be in the episode? Also, given that the Pokémon they confronted here were Glalie and Absol, you’d think it’d be a perfect time for Ash to use Lucario or Sirfetch’d yet instead, once again uses only Pikachu. Seriously, would it kill them to have Ash actually use his other Pokémon even if it isn’t a focus episode for them?

What was even the point of bringing back Hodge if he was barely going to even be in the episode? Also, given that the Pokémon they confronted here were Glalie and Absol, you’d think it’d be a perfect time for Ash to use Lucario or Sirfetch’d yet instead, once again uses only Pikachu. Seriously, would it kill them to have Ash actually use his other Pokémon even if it isn’t a focus episode for them?
AND they had to destroy a giant boulder. An Aura Sphere would've been way more useful than an Thunderbolt.

Goh gets to use both Trapinch and Cinderace (and whatever Pokémon he coincidently has on hand that just happens to be the perfect choice), but Ash cannot use any of his. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

AND they had to destroy a giant boulder. An Aura Sphere would've been way more useful than an Thunderbolt.

Goh gets to use both Trapinch and Cinderace (and whatever Pokémon he coincidently has on hand that just happens to be the perfect choice), but Ash cannot use any of his. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yea, that prospect only becomes more annoying with time. Like what are the odds that Go is carrying a Pokémon perfect for the plot any time they’re needed? Meanwhile, Ash, who has a set team, hardly ever makes use of his other Pokémon. Makes no sense.

Yea, that prospect only becomes more annoying with time. Like what are the odds that Go is carrying a Pokémon perfect for the plot any time they’re needed? Meanwhile, Ash, who has a set team, hardly ever makes use of his other Pokémon. Makes no sense.
Sad right

Yep.

Goh needs to swing from a tree to another since he can't go on foot? Oh he has an Caterpie that knows String Shot.

He needs an Ground type that can fly to keep up with Zapdos? He has an Flygon!

Needs to fight Poison types, put Suicune on top of a tree, and find poison-curing berries? No prob, he has an Drowzee that was conveniently close by, an Alolan Exeggutor, and an helpful Raichu!!!

I get that this is to showcase Goh's other Pokémon, but man, he just happens to leave the lab coincidently with all the Pokémon that he will need for the day? Talk about luck...

Yep.

Goh needs to swing from a tree to another since he can't go on foot? Oh he has an Caterpie that knows String Shot.

He needs an Ground type that can fly to keep up with Zapdos? He has an Flygon!

Needs to fight Poison types, put Suicune on top of a tree, and find poison-curing berries? No prob, he has an Drowzee that was conveniently close by, an Alolan Exeggutor, and an helpful Raichu!!!

I get that this is to showcase Goh's other Pokémon, but man, he just happens to leave the lab coincidently with all the Pokémon that he will need for the day? Talk about luck...
Literally the only way Go’s Pokémon convenience would be believable would be if, like the games, the Rotomphone was linked to his storage. And even then, that would only exasperate the issue with Ash given that then he’d have no excuse not to have his Pokémon.

On one hand, I don't think Gou's "convenient" party is a major plot issue, especially if he's reasonably given the opportunity to prepare for whatever problems he's gonna face (eg. bringing Flygon when he knows he's likely gonna fight Zapdos). Considering that he already has a huge collection of Pokemon by now, it's the most practical way of showing off his Pokemon without just straight up giving them focus episodes. Plus, while Gou's choice of Pokemon is usually helpful, it's not always the best solution for the problem. For example, Dewgong allowed Gou to participate in the water event last episode, but it also caused some problems later on in the episode due to its Brock-like personality. In this episode, Gou used Trapinch to dig through the ground for whatever reason, but it clearly didn't like the freezing temperatures at all. So yeah, as long as Gou's "reserves" are used sparingly or in a way that doesn't make them feel like perfect deus ex machina, then I think it's a good idea to show them off like this.

On the other hand, I definitely agree that the handling of Ash's team in this series has been quite frustrating. We literally just learned last episode that Dracovish is perfectly capable of tearing through massive boulders with its huge and powerful jaws, and considering its Water/Dragon typing, I'd reckon it's extremely resistant to steam too. But I guess the writers just really needed an excuse to give Gou an opportunity to catch Absol.

I could be thinking wrong, but Sw/Sh I think you basically have access to your PC anywhere, so while I get being annoyed, it's not hard envisioning this making sense (which I see you acknowledge later).

On one hand, I don't think Gou's "convenient" party is a major plot issue, especially if he's reasonably given the opportunity to prepare for whatever problems he's gonna face (eg. bringing Flygon when he knows he's likely gonna fight Zapdos). Considering that he already has a huge collection of Pokemon by now, it's the most practical way of showing off his Pokemon without just straight up giving them focus episodes. Plus, while Gou's choice of Pokemon is usually helpful, it's not always the best solution for the problem. For example, Dewgong allowed Gou to participate in the water event last episode, but it also caused some problems later on in the episode due to its Brock-like personality. In this episode, Gou used Trapinch to dig through the ground for whatever reason, but it clearly didn't like the freezing temperatures at all. So yeah, as long as Gou's "reserves" are used sparingly or in a way that doesn't make them feel like perfect deus ex machina, then I think it's a good idea to show them off like this.

On the other hand, I definitely agree that the handling of Ash's team in this series has been quite frustrating. We literally just learned last episode that Dracovish is perfectly capable of tearing through massive boulders with its huge and powerful jaws, and considering its Water/Dragon typing, I'd reckon it's extremely resistant to steam too. But I guess the writers just really needed an excuse to give Gou an opportunity to catch Absol.
I was thinking about this just now:

Granted, I do think it was done in order to give Absol something to do and for it to be the hero of the ep and yada yada. But when the previous (!) ep had the exact same conflict, being an huge boulder in somewhere that water is involved, and Dracovish was able to quickly get rid of it with a Fishious Rend, and that we know that Ash carries his team's Pokéballs around at all times, it just falls flat on it's face to me.

We could've had another Dacovish appearance where it could destroy the boulder with the help of Absol, and could've even saved it from the water in a cool moment, but nah, Goh needed to be the hero and capture save Absol at the end.

I'm not mad that he caught it tho. But considering that the other episode was just last week, it sorta of hit it's face on a brick wall for me.

I'm not sure why people on the Internet are getting super mad at Goh for catching Absol when it would have done f'all with Ash (hence why I want him to not catch ANYTHING else right now). It's clear the staff don't care about any of Ash's mons (yes, even Pikachu since he too hasn't done much for months now) so it's not like it would have fared any better other than making a cameo in Cerise's lab and disappearing for the next 180 months.

This is very disappointing. I thought Absol would go to Ash seeing that it fits him well, it's backstory of being blamed for the disaster it was actually trying to prevent and the few popular Pokemon that would be great on Ash's team but this happened. I don't understand why the writers love Goh more than Ash. Now tell me which Pokemon would those writers give to Ash to represent Gen 3? Because the only popular Gen 3 Pokemon are Absol and Flygon which were foolishly given to Goh

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom