• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN074: Darkrai - A Midsummer Night's Dream

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because Kalos had its own formidable evil team. Not all regions have that.
All regions bar Johto have had formidable evil teams and plots though? Game-wise Team Rocket's story was meh and they’re now working on it, so why couldn’t they work on the others teams? It’s a weird defence when the writers quite literally dictate the plot and can deviate from it at will. I refuse to believe that half the regions had so incompetent Teams that they had to be replaced with a revamped team Rocket. Why not revamp those other teams instead?

All regions bar Johto have had formidable evil teams and plots though? Game-wise Team Rocket's story was meh and they’re now working on it, so why couldn’t they work on the others teams? It’s a weird defence when the writers quite literally dictate the plot and can deviate from it at will. I refuse to believe that half the regions had so incompetent Teams that they had to be replaced with a revamped team Rocket. Why not revamp those other teams instead?
Team Rocket was portrayed as a serious threat during the soft reboot that was BW, so it made sense for them to be one of the main antagonists there. In Alola, Team Skull isn't exactly a big threat, and Aether Foundation isn't a threat at all. And in Galar, Macro Cosmos was already used up, and Team Yell, if it exists in the anime, isn't going to be a serious threat either.

I'm just happy the Matori Matrix exists again. She's even wearing her uniform instead of her regular suit, both of which were missing in ep 24..

And she's going after Legendaries again instead of random Pokemon like some common Grunt.

In retrospect, what was up with her portrayal in ep 24? It was all wrong compared to what SM established.
Only thing that’s a shame is that she’s still using the grunts from episode 24. Like what happened to the guy with the Mega Aggron from SM, he get fired for their failure there or something? Seems weird that they bring back an elite team from Team Rocket only to replace members one series later.

Team Rocket was portrayed as a serious threat during the soft reboot that was BW, so it made sense for them to be one of the main antagonists there. In Alola, Team Skull isn't exactly a big threat, and Aether Foundation isn't a threat at all. And in Galar, Macro Cosmos was already used up, and Team Yell, if it exists in the anime, isn't going to be a serious threat either.
Again writers can make anything they want a serious threat and reusing Team Rocket every time isn’t creative to me.

I think we should just agree to disagree because my opinion isn’t going to change. Am I looking forward to this arc? Yes! Darkrai is my favourite mythical, but I won’t lie, I audibly sighed when I saw the TR uniform instead of some other team like Galactic. My opinion on that isn’t changing. TR has received a lot of spotlight and it’s about time they take a back seat. I know it won’t be a huge deal to a lot of people but it’s just boring to me to reuse the same team again and again and again, when they actually don’t end up doing much at all.

I audibly sighed when I saw the TR uniform instead of some other team like Galactic. My opinion on that isn’t changing. TR has received a lot of spotlight and it’s about time they take a back seat. I know it won’t be a huge deal to a lot of people but it’s just boring to me to reuse the same team again and again and again, when they actually don’t end up doing much at all.
You're implying that replacing Team Rocket with any other villainous team would make the plot any more interesting, when in reality, it... probably won't. Most of the villainous groups we've seen operate in basically the exact same way. There's a bunch of grunts riding in some vehicles, equipped with tools or Pokemon that'll help them achieve whatever it is they're trying to do. In this case, they're trying to catch some Legendary Pokemon, which is something that villainous groups tend to do. So even if you swap Team Rocket with another group of bad guys, the modus operandi will still stay the same. For example, if Darkrai's gonna be chased by a helicopter in this episode, then it doesn't really matter if the logo on the helicopter is Team Rocket's or Team Galactic's since the plot will mostly remain the same anyway.

The only major difference between most villainous teams is their main goal, but that's irrelevant in a self-contained plot like this. Yes, hypothetically speaking, if Team Galactic were to appear here instead of Team Rocket, then that would have major implications on the overarching plot of the series since it would mark the return of a previously-defeated villainous group. However, that's only if the writers actually plan to do anything with them in the first place. If Team Galactic were to appear in these two episodes but then disappear immediately after, that's just gonna leave us with more questions than answers. So instead of doing that, why not just use a villainous team that's actually still active? It just so happens that Team Rocket's the only one that not only still exists, but has been established to operate worldwide.

Of course, another possible solution is to just have a plot about Legendary Pokemon that doesn't involve bad people trying to catch them. Unfortunately, Journeys doesn't really have a good track record with those either. Just look at the Ho-oh episode.

I’m good with Team Rocket’s Matori Matrix being here after they were reintroduced earlier in the series. I just wish Alolan Meowth would appear with Matori.

It also dawned on me (pun intended) that since Iris was made champion of Unova (I headcannon it simply as she won the Unova league because it’s more believable), maybe Dawn will be revealed as a Top Coordinator? Either winning the Johto Grand Festival or, more likely, having come home and won in Sinnoh? I’d love this to be true!

It also dawned on me (pun intended) that since Iris was made champion of Unova (I headcannon it simply as she won the Unova league because it’s more believable), maybe Dawn will be revealed as a Top Coordinator? Either winning the Johto Grand Festival or, more likely, having come home and won in Sinnoh? I’d love this to be true!
Many people forget that Iris didn't achieve her goal in becoming a Champion, so I don't see Dawn having reached her goal either.

She has achieved all tangible steps from the games to reach it though. If Iris can get a new milestone, Dawn can get one too.
Iris didn't reach her goal yet, so I don't see Dawn having reached one either. I could see her having participated in at least one Grand Festival off-screen, though.

You're implying that replacing Team Rocket with any other villainous team would make the plot any more interesting, when in reality, it... probably won't. Most of the villainous groups we've seen operate in basically the exact same way. There's a bunch of grunts riding in some vehicles, equipped with tools or Pokemon that'll help them achieve whatever it is they're trying to do. In this case, they're trying to catch some Legendary Pokemon, which is something that villainous groups tend to do. So even if you swap Team Rocket with another group of bad guys, the modus operandi will still stay the same. For example, if Darkrai's gonna be chased by a helicopter in this episode, then it doesn't really matter if the logo on the helicopter is Team Rocket's or Team Galactic's since the plot will mostly remain the same anyway.

Yeah. Just look at how SM turned Team Skull into literally a poor man's Team Rocket with Tupper, Zipp, and Rapp doing THE EXACT SAME THINGS the TRio had done in previous series...
Or how BW made Neo Team Plasma using mind control in a way TR the Organization would've done. Replace Ghetsis with Giovanni, Colress with Zager, and TP Grunts with the TRio and it more or less would've been the same...

The only major difference between most villainous teams is their main goal, but that's irrelevant in a self-contained plot like this. Yes, hypothetically speaking, if Team Galactic were to appear here instead of Team Rocket, then that would have major implications on the overarching plot of the series since it would mark the return of a previously-defeated villainous group. However, that's only if the writers actually plan to do anything with them in the first place. If Team Galactic were to appear in these two episodes but then disappear immediately after, that's just gonna leave us with more questions than answers. So instead of doing that, why not just use a villainous team that's actually still active? It just so happens that Team Rocket's the only one that not only still exists, but has been established to operate worldwide.

Yep. Hell, it's OBVIOUS by now the showrunners have NO interest in a plot this series, let alone an overarching, spread out villain story. Just look at what happened with Darkest Day, or how they've done little with the PWC...

Another reason Team Rocket is being used here probably has something to do with the fact that Team Galactic's plot was already adapted and was in fact one of the to date two Villainous Team plots to have actually been done well, the other one being Team Flare. And if I recall correctly, Cyrus wasn't just defeated at the end of the Galactic arc, but he was straight up swallowed into another dimension, so with their leader effectively dead as far as they know, the rest of Team Galactic was probably forced to disband, or maybe even arrested, as Cynthia did participate in the conflict, and being the Sinnoh Champion gives her enough credibility that just walking over to the authorities and being all "hey, so, so, and so tried to commit an apocalypse" would be enough to put an end to any further shenanigans.

Charon wasn't shown being arrested like the other Commanders. They could've done a semi-adaption of the Pt Stark Mountain plot with Darkrai/Cresselia in place of Heatran.
Or they could do a more direct adaptation of that plot later on closer to the release of the Sinnoh remakes, who knows?

Yeah, it always bugged me a little that Pluto got away and they never did anything with it...

Staff list courtesey of Dephender at Serebii

Screenplay 土屋理敬 (Michihiro Tsuchiya)
Storyboard 齋藤徳明 (Noriaki Saito)
Episode Director 中田誠 (Makoto Nakata)
Animation Director 倉員千晶 (Chiaki Kurakazu)
Animation Director 新岡浩美 (Hiromi Niioka)
Animation Director 志村泉 (Izumi Shimura)

Summary (not that it tells us anything new) and staff courtesy Dephender:

Satoshi and Go learn that people in the Sinnoh region are unable to sleep due to nightmares, so they head there to research whether or not this is the work of Darkrai, a Pokémon with the ability to give others nightmares. Meanwhile Koharu has gone to the Sinnoh region on her own, and believe it or not, she encounters Satoshi's former travelmates Hikari and Pochama there.

Screenplay 土屋理敬 (Michihiro Tsuchiya)
Storyboard 齋藤徳明 (Noriaki Saito)
Episode Director 中田誠 (Makoto Nakata)
Animation Director 倉員千晶 (Chiaki Kurakazu)
Animation Director 新岡浩美 (Hiromi Niioka)
Animation Director 志村泉 (Izumi Shimura)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom