• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN075: Cresselia - A Midsummer Night's Light

....Honestly I'm getting the feeling that we as Pokemon fans don't like stuff that isn't focused on Ash. I prefer it when we focus on Ash, but that seems to be a common trait. It's just rare that Chloe is the one to inspire this, and not Goh.

...Though Chloe seems to draw a lot less desire to rip and tear flesh than Goh does in these scenarios.
Which honestly surprises me given discourse from even 2 years ago, that being said, although I'm an Ash fan, I'm more than happy to see events like Koharu/Dawn more often (though I also felt minus the lack of high-five, Ash/Dawn got an alright bit here). And I do expect more Dawn down the road.

....Honestly I'm getting the feeling that we as Pokemon fans don't like stuff that isn't focused on Ash. I prefer it when we focus on Ash, but that seems to be a common trait. It's just rare that Chloe is the one to inspire this, and not Goh.

...Though Chloe seems to draw a lot less desire to rip and tear flesh than Goh does in these scenarios.
Whilst that’s probably true, I wish Goh and Ash weren’t actually here. Would have complimented more time for Koharu to have much more of an impact with Cresselia in battle, then have Darkrai appear to save the day.
I mean, what did Goh and Ash even do?

Whilst that’s probably true, I wish Goh and Ash weren’t actually here. Would have complimented more time for Koharu to have much more of an impact with Cresselia in battle, then have Darkrai appear to save the day.
I mean, what did Goh and Ash even do?

....Well made stopping Matori Matrix believable. Dawn isn't weak but not sure she could handle all four of themselves with Eevee trying (and failing) to hlep.

....Well made stopping Matori Matrix believable. Dawn isn't weak but not sure she could handle all four of themselves with Eevee trying (and failing) to hlep.
I think Darkrai made it believable. As good as Ash and Goh are, I actually don’t think they would have beaten them with just Pikachu and Cinderace. They were shown to be struggling before Darkrai showed up, and somehow Eevee was the only one that got a hit in.

Full VA list courtesy of Adamant

Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Daiki Yamashita: Go
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu
Kana Hanazawa: Koharu
Yuichi Nakamura: Professor Sakuragi
Megumi Hayashibara: Musashi
Shinichiro Miki: Kojiro
Inuko Inuyama: Nyarth
Etsuko Kozakura: Pochama
Kenta Miyake: Dosidon
Risa Shimizu: Cresselia
Kei Shindo: Eievui
Hana Takeda: Sarunori
Tatsuki Kobe: Darkrai
Megumi Toyoguchi: Hikari
Kiyomi Asai: Matori
Sayaka Senbongi: Kikuna
Noriaki Kanze: Renji
Yuji Ueda: Rocket Gang Subordinate
Yasuhiro Mamiya: Rocket Gang Subordinate
Yuki Shin: Rocket Gang Subordinate
Daisuke Namikawa: Koharu's Smartphone Rotom
Kenyu Horiuchi: Narration

I couldn't help but feel that this episode was a massive troll by OLM...

"Oh, you want one of Satoshi's old friends to appear in more than one episode? Ok, here's a two-parter with Hikari but we're not giving her a new outfit, she hasn't progressed any further with his goals, we're not going to see any of her Pokemon besides Pochama and she'll barely spend any time with Satoshi. There, how do you like that?"

Honestly, this two-parter felt like a massive waste of time. We didn't learn anything new about Hikari, she's just still on the contest trail... and that in itself pisses me off. Think about it, the first circuit she entered she made it all the way to the finals and only lost by one or two points. Now here we are, multiple regions later and she's still not a Top Coordinator?! That literally means her coordinator career peaked at her first go and she's never gotten any better. That's kind of an insult to her character.

I don't know why Satoshi and Go needed to be here, they contributed nothing to the plot. Satoshi and Hikari barely interacted, and there wasn't even a freakin' high five between the two. They weren't even any good against the Matori Matrix (I find it laughable that out of the entire main group it was only Eievui that managed to land something resembling a hit), leaving it to Darkrai to defeat Team Rocket. Why not just have Satoshi and Go remain in Kanto sweeping the lab or something while Koharu went to Sinnoh alone and got to have her own adventure with Hikari. At least then, the lack of interaction with Satoshi would have made sense.

Oh, and another example of this episode being a troll... all the previews and the first part of this episode hyped up that we were going to get to see a contest, and the story ends without even getting giving us a glimpse of it. Very funny OLM, thanks for wasting our time.

I know that Dawn’s Piplup had physically appeared in the last episode, and in this episode, too. In this episode, Her Togekiss appeared in a flashback in this episode, but as cured by Brock. However, in the last and current episodes, none of Dawn’s on-hand Pokémon, other than her Piplup, have physically appeared, while her Mamoswine had never actually received its new voice actor ever since its original voice actor Unshō Ishizuka already passed, now I wonder why you think that Dawn’s on-hand Pokémon, other than her Piplup, had physically appeared in these episodes, and were they mentioned?

Will Cinderace ever land a hit? Find out on the next episode of Dra– wait…

I enjoyed the Dawn/Chloe/Eevee/Piplup/Cresselia scenes. The Ash/Dawn reunion left a lot to be desired. It would be nice if she returns to watch Ash’s battle against Volkner, but I’m probably asking for too much.

IMO the main reason why many people seem to dislike this is because a lot of the episodes which aren't ash focused are Goh focused, which I think its safe to say that a vocal portion of the anime hates, and thus they grew to hate all non Ash related episodes. Not to sure what they think of Chloe lead episodes tbh.

Last edited:
Overall a decent episode. It was actually going kinda well initially, until the second half. Just like with all reunions except JN065 with Iris, Ash's interactions with the return are super, super underutilized (because it appears to be done mostly off-screen) and the Matori Matrix got swept by the Lunar Duo, when considering they're an elite unit, they should have remained longer. Honestly they should have had another episode but I can kinda see why the episode was rushed (wanted to get the episode out before the Tokyo Olympics main section). The Eevee and Chloe interactions were nice along with Chloe's attempt at performing that fails unexpectedly.
Overall, 8/10 like last time.

for the love of god, if chloe becomes another coordinator imma have an aneurysm.

"Oh, you want one of Satoshi's old friends to appear in more than one episode? Ok, here's a two-parter with Hikari but we're not giving her a new outfit, she hasn't progressed any further with his goals, we're not going to see any of her Pokemon besides Pochama and she'll barely spend any time with Satoshi. There, how do you like that?"

Honestly, this two-parter felt like a massive waste of time. We didn't learn anything new about Hikari, she's just still on the contest trail... and that in itself pisses me off. Think about it, the first circuit she entered she made it all the way to the finals and only lost by one or two points. Now here we are, multiple regions later and she's still not a Top Coordinator?! That literally means her coordinator career peaked at her first go and she's never gotten any better. That's kind of an insult to her character.

I don't know why Satoshi and Go needed to be here, they contributed nothing to the plot. Satoshi and Hikari barely interacted, and there wasn't even a freakin' high five between the two. They weren't even any good against the Matori Matrix (I find it laughable that out of the entire main group it was only Eievui that managed to land something resembling a hit), leaving it to Darkrai to defeat Team Rocket. Why not just have Satoshi and Go remain in Kanto sweeping the lab or something while Koharu went to Sinnoh alone and got to have her own adventure with Hikari. At least then, the lack of interaction with Satoshi would have made sense.

Oh, and another example of this episode being a troll... all the previews and the first part of this episode hyped up that we were going to get to see a contest, and the story ends without even getting giving us a glimpse of it. Very funny OLM, thanks for wasting our time.
I think this was more about Chloe than Dawn. We just thought it would be also about Dawn, but it's actually more about developing Chloe.

And we only saw her in a Contest outfit, not the Contest itself. We just assumed, based on what we had, and set our expectations too high.

I think this was more about Chloe than Dawn. We just thought it would be also about Dawn, but it's actually more about developing Chloe.

And we only saw her in a Contest outfit, not the Contest itself. We just assumed, based on what we had, and set our expectations too high
I honestly have no idea why people would think that this episode would feature a contest. It's a Darkrai based episode with no room for contests, why would anyone think that there would be a contest (especially because contests usually have dedicated episodes.)

While Hikari's exaggerated characterization from the first part got fixed....
And that improved her dynamics with Koharu. Not forced anymore, yes.

They made me, literally, waste my time here.

I agree that Satoshi, and Gou by extension, didn't have any business to do here.
He was literally shoved here for 'reasons' and gave zero input to the plot.

Yes. I am a Satoshi fan and I get upset when he gets sidelined or mistreated.
I also love his and Hikari's relationship a lot, them meeting again was the whole selling point of this two-parter to me.
But yeah, they not only wasted the best duo in Anipoke history but stripped them of any basic dynamics.

At the end, we got a Darkrai-ex-Machina.
Completely disappointed, it's my fault for getting my hopes up.

This episode's kind of a mixed bag honestly.. the Dawn/Chloe dynamic continued to be very solid here though I feel like it dragged on long enough that most of the other aspects of the two-part didn't really get to have enough focus. As someone who was hoping we'd get to see a little more of Ash and Dawn this episode though I was pretty underwhelmed, but it did make me happy to see them fight together again, in a pretty well animated fight at that. It is weird though how little they accomplished in the actual fight though because it was mainly Darkrai and Cresselia putting in work,and so Ash's/Goh's presence here felt pointless

I do think that this arc would've benefit the most from being a three-parter because Matori's inclusion here was rushed and didn't really offer any more to the episode than the TRio could've, and even then they didn't get to play much of a part (nor did my favorite blue blob :() It was also strange how we didn't get to see any of Dawn's other Pokemon physically appear, especially when there was a battle perfect to showcase at least one of them. There was a couple of good stuff here and there like Brock and Togekiss's cameo and the nice ending scene, but other than that I believe that Dawn's return left a lot to be desired

OVERALL SCORE:
6/10

Forgot it.

The best part was the Pokemon Ieru Kana? parody and Imakuni? reappearing.
I do like that song very much.

I'm just glad about Eevee proving to be a capable battler and Chloe not having more than a casual interest in contests, which led nowhere. It seems that she's good at understanding Pokemon's motivations, too. The Ponyta episode also demonstrated this.

Ugh at Prof. Cerise getting a Piplup. It won't do anything, but it will be shoved down our throats every now and then to remind us of Project Pochama.

They'll shill Cynthia around November and some of you will complain about why she hasn't changed at all. Truly a mystery.

Also, Ash doesn't bounce us off returning characters very well. He largely just wants to battle them. Dawn returned for Piplup and Chloe, while Gary returned for Go (and will keep showing up). I like Ash, but his character is very stunted at this point.

I can understand why Dawn isn't a Top Coordinator yet. If she were, then there would have to be something like a PWC for contests, and Dawn fans wouldn't stop expecting to see her again. Still, it's sad that she's redoing Sinnoh contests while having no companions.

Last edited:

The section about Dawn not having progressed with her goal at all is kinda interesting, since that means its likely Iris was only made the champion because she was in BW2 and not because OLM wanted to progress her.

I was watching this episode without subtitles and I thought I heard Koharu call Ash a baka while he was geeking out over Cresselia. So I turned on captions, set them to Japanese language, and used a chrome extension to read the text.

Turns out she did. I would post screenshots but I can't seem to get the translated text to stay on the screen when doing so.

Somehow that seems to have escaped everybody's notice LMAO. I like this girl.

I was watching this episode without subtitles and I thought I heard Koharu call Ash a baka while he was geeking out over Cresselia. So I turned on captions, set them to Japanese language, and used a chrome extension to read the text.

Turns out she did. I would post screenshots but I can't seem to get the translated text to stay on the screen when doing so.

Somehow that seems to have escaped everybody's notice LMAO. I like this girl.

Subs came out and the word geek was used. Hikari was telling Koharu that she used to travel with someone that was ALWAYS on about Pokemon, so she called him a Pokemon Geek. When they met Satoshi and Go later, Koharu realized she meant Satoshi.

Never heard baka used like this, though. Interesting!

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom