• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN078: The Targeted Sakuragi Institute!

It should be the opposite, that's why people appreciate recording said memories, either via still pictures or videos, or however they document life events.
I am more fond of the poetic 'save them within your heart'.

But okay, people can relate to that....
If it were a bit subtler instead of overdone.

Honestly, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be.

Why is Inteleon so tall, though? Wasn't the last one we saw human-sized?
Because the last one was standing next to an adult woman.

This one is standing next to a 10 year old child so it does make it seem like it's taller in comparison

It is rather hard for me to believe that Goh’s Drizzile can evolve partially thanks to off-screen training, when many of Ash’s Pokémon have been at Oak’s lab for multiple series and have never evolved there off-screen. In theory, you would think that Pokémon like Buizel, Pignite, Snivy, or Corphish would train a lot off-screen and maybe evolve on their own by the next time Ash sees them. Goh’s Drizzile evolving into Inteleon would be signifigantly more believable if we had examples of that concept happening before.

It doesn't happen very often, but a Pokémon returning after being at the lab only needing a little extra push to evolve did happen to Krabby and Cyndaquill.

But yes. You would think they would evolve off screen. Maybe they always push their own B-button so they can wait and show Ash the evolution the next time he fights with them. ;)

It's also pretty funny because it's canonical since what? Johto? (?) that Ash's Pokémon that are stored in Oak's lab do train with each other and with other mons that don't even belong to Ash. I personally don't think it would be optimal, but it's bizarre that there's so many Ash mons who battle their butts off there and they don't get even a measly new move, while a Goh mon gets evolution for not doing even the bare minimun.

To be honest, who knows which moves some of them know these days. The last time Ash realy used his reserves from the lab (exept for Infernape in JN) was at the Sinnoh League. And multiple of them had new moves. Cyndaquill, Heracross, Noctowl... Noctowl even only used new moves I think. Charizard also had 3 new moves when returning in BW, but this is another case.

As long as the anime staff hasn't planned anything with Ash reserves in a big way (so not like the way Infernape returned to battle briefly), we won't see any of it. And would the writers now still have the gut to give some Pokémon almost complete new movesets like in the past? I think we will only know if we get a new 'Sinnoh League' situation. I would like this, as long as the present team would also get their moment, just like in the Sinnoh League itself.

Piplup, Bulbasaur and Pikachu are, as far as I remember, the only Pokemon in the series who've out right stated that they don't want to evolve.
Rowlet technically counts too, even though in its case, it's less about willingness and more about... plain ignorance, I guess.

Rowlet technically counts too, even though in its case, it's less about willingness and more about... plain ignorance, I guess.
Though, it has more similarities with Inteleon.
The decision to evolve it, or not, was due to popularity.

It seems that the Cotd has become the most hated of this series rather quickly.
In Twitter some fans want to commit unspeakable/unsavoury acts to him.

Though, it has more similarities with Inteleon.
The decision to evolve it, or not, was due to popularity.

It seems that the Cotd has become the most hated of this series rather quickly.
In Twitter some fans want to commit unspeakable/unsavoury acts to him.
I hate him too. I absolutely despise this selfish idiotic blob and his stupid garchomp jetpack. I could at least get Team Rocket trying to steal a Pokemon from the Cerise Institute but this Yabashi didn't even NEED to erase months of valuable data to get an autograph. He literally could have knocked on the door and asked for one! It was pointless destruction for its own sake!

I hate him too. I absolutely despise this selfish idiotic blob and his stupid garchomp jetpack. I could at least get Team Rocket trying to steal a Pokemon from the Cerise Institute but this Yabashi didn't even NEED to erase months of valuable data to get an autograph. He literally could have knocked on the door and asked for one! It was pointless destruction for its own sake!
"Notice me senpai!" types are never rational though - they always go through stupid convoluted illegal methods and then get told "you could've just asked" and nobody arrests them for their illegal activities because "they didn't know any better"

It's a very stupid story beat

He didn't erase it. He just stole it. It was returned by the end of the episode.

"Notice me senpai!" types are never rational though -
I wonder why this trend has never been broken in any anime series, not even Anipoke.

That still doesn't justify people wanting to murder or maim a fictional character.
And the least vicious want him to crash while having Gou and Satoshi just being bystanders or outright refusing to do anything.

I wonder why this trend has never been broken in any anime series, not even Anipoke.
Because it's pretty simple: It's a cheap plot device.

You don't need to write a character like that. You don't have to create an elaborated backstory, motivation, arcs, or anything, really. They are meant to be a simple, effective, and effortless way to cause trouble, explain it, and solve it just as easily as it came around.

For a TR plot, it would need to be more complex, more thought-out writing. Or for any other respectable villain.

Here? "Oh yeah, they are just crazy. Nothing more." It's a a cheap explanation. You don't need to write a "Notice Me!" character. @Twilight-Kun explains it pretty well in their comment.

For a TR plot, it would need to be more complex, more thought-out writing. Or for any other respectable villain.
In other words, they were just lazy/uncaring....

Nothing new, then. That is Journeys' signature.

Edit: I still can't understand how hating the Cotd to those extents is a reaction.

Last edited:
I just found the character of the day annoying. Also I just noticed on my rewatch, when go is looking at the list of all the background extras- I mean pokemon he caught, Eternatus didn't appear.

....Did they take the wrong lessons from Raboot? Did people dislike having Raboot around and thus didn't do with Drizzile?

(Any JP fans know if Raboot wasn't popular or osmetihng?)
This sucks though because Drizzile is my favourite form of the Sobble line.

The evolution was 100% undeserved and reminds me of what they did with the Unfezant in its evolution episodes... way to treat a starter like Ash's worst bird Pokémon.

Are people really taking some stupid kid's desperate cry for attention so seriously? This seems silly.
I was really angry and full of genuine hatred towards the kid, and then I watched the subtitles and came to the realization that Yabashi might have been more ignorant than malevolent. His body language and facial expressions in the last few minutes of the episode gave me the impression he didn't fully grasp the severity of what he had done until Professor Cerise asked him to his face if he had deleted the data.

He still should have been punished somehow but the professor seemed fairly willing to forgive once he learned the data wasn't deleted but just hidden.

Others have been a lot less forgiving than the Professor.

Those were really outbursts/explosions. Filled with rage.

I won't try to call out those people for that hatred.

Others have been a lot less forgiving than the Professor.

Those were really outbursts/explosions. Filled with rage.

I won't try to call out those people for that hatred.
I've seen you mention a violent backlash against this CotD, Was it on the Japanese side of the fandom?

The most I've seen in the Anglosphere is some comments calling Yabashi ugly and annoying, not death threats that I can recall.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom