• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Kalos League Thread

ArvAl

Not gone yet. I refuse
Reaction score
Since Ash obtains his 8th badge, maybe it's a good idea to start this up.

So we all know Ash's current team, we know how strong he is this time based from previous region leagues and we can all agree he has some rivals to battle soon.

Problem is, his (so far) rivals were:
1. Tierno
2. Sawyer
3. Alain
4. Sanpei (Not confirmed for league)
5. Trevor

What do you think? Can Ash able to catch the problem, or maybe nothing shall change until the league day. This thread can also talk about overall battle when it premiered

Edit : Updated trainer status.

Last edited:
The only ones we know will be in the league are Tierno and Sawyer. Alain, as far as we know, is not going after gym badges. I'd actually be pretty pissed if he was in there and beat Ash again. I'm sick of this guy and his OP Charizard. Sanpei is someone I always assumed was going to be a rival for Ash, but he really has only existed to develop Ash's Greninja. As for Trevor, he's not a rival at all. He's just there. .

I'm actually hoping that they plan on setting aside at least 7 episodes for the league, which is as much as the Sinnoh League got. The Unova League was an utter trainwreck and hopefully the Kalos League can improve where the Unova League failed. Hopefully there won't be any pointless mid league filler episodes also

They will need to be creative with some Kalos League Rivals, unless they reuse old rivals (preferably Paul). Either way.....not exactly looking forwward to the League, which is a major step down from Sinnoh.

Also, I assume Trevor will be in the League, since he has at least one Gym Badge. But who knows?

I highly doubt that Alain and Trevor will participate in the Kalos League. Alain doesn't seem to be particularly interested in Gyms and the like, and Trevor has the Bug Badge but I got the distinct impression that it was more to address Charmeleon's competitive spirit than Trevor's love of battling. He's more into research than training. Sanpei probably will participate, and Tierno and Sawyer, definitely. In Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, AND Unova, Ash has lost the League to some new rival introduced just a few episodes prior - Harrison, Tyson, Tobias, and Cameron/Virgil. I agree, I really don't want that to happen this time, because it's such a letdown and in my opinion is kind of a cheap way to make sure Ash beats his rival but loses the League. We all know that Ash is going to lose the League, and right now my inclination is to hope that he beats Sawyer and loses to either Tierno or Sanpei. But I guess we'll see what happens when it happens.

Also, I'd like to see Ash get to the finals this time - the best he's done so far is the semifinals. But no matter what happens in the League, I want to see Goodra come back to battle in it, and I'd absolutely love it if Ash did what he did in Sinnoh and used Pokémon from his past journeys as well.

Not too excited for the Pokémon League this time around. Maybe the Vertress Conference left me traumatized, maybe it's the fact all of the opponents Ash can face are just boring. Tierno and Sawyer are... meh. Ash has defeated them more than once, and it wasn't like he was having any trouble dealing with them. Even if they get Key Stones, I just don't care too much about these two.

We know Trevor has one Badge, but it doesn't mean he will be competing. Burgundy had a Badge too. I guess a lot of Trainers challenge a Gym Leader at least once in their journeys just for fun. It's a cool experience to have, even if you're not planning to enter the Pokémon League. Regardless, Trevor is as uninteresting as a Trainer can get, so I couldn't care less about his participation.

Alain has no reasons to enter the League. He is obsessed with Trainers who can Mega Evolve their Pokémon and Korrina is the only known Gym Leader in Kalos able to do that. Even if he wants to battle the Elite Four because they use Mega-Evolved Pokémon, he can freely request a battle with them without ever going to the trouble of collecting eight Gym Badges, winning the League Conference, and then challenging the Champions League. He has battled against Siebold and Malva already anyway.

Unless Sanpei's Greninja is dead, I don't want to see him entering the League. Ash's Greninja is going to be shoved down our throats in the next couple of episodes. It'll get a lot of focus and take part in several battles and I have no desire to see another member of the Greninja species anytime soon.

What could peak my interest is the character most of the fans are hating even if they haven't been introduced to yet. Yes, the big winner. The friendly and selfless Pokémon Trainer who will breeze through the competition. Or maybe a mysterious and sinister kind of person like Tobias. We've had Tyson and Virgil and the one nobody cares about Jon Dickson. All of them have one thing in common, and I'm not talking about the championship trophy, I'm talking about penises.

Please writers, please. Let a girl win this thing. It's about damn time. The last female character to battle Ash in the Pokémon League was Katie back in the Ever Grande Conference ten years ago in the Advanced Generation series. Since then the only female League Trainer the writers threw a bone to was Bianca, and when she lost her battle she wasn't even sad, in fact she left the stadium and bought an ice cream as if nothing had happened.

What I want is a talented female Trainer who is dead serious about winning. I want to see her destroying anyone who gets in her way. And with a diverse team please. I hated Virgil's team.

I too am hoping that the one they create to beat Ash (Unless they finally allow him to win this time) turns out to be a girl. There is absolutely no reason Ash can't have a girl rival that actually puts up a good fight. Ash had Bianca as his only EVER female rival, its disappointing since they only battled... once... JUST MAKE A GIRL!

A lot of negativity here. I am personally very excited for the new league episodes. I do realize the current rivals suck, but cool battles don't need to be against a rival, the idea of the competition is that trainers from all over come to battle each other, so you clearly wouldn't know all of your opponents. Sure it would be nice if they had development a good rival for Ash of the past 3 years, but its not going to ruin the league that they didn't and there will still be fun battles to watch.

I do personally hope they let Ash use old Pokemon, and I don't really see how they wouldn't. Any location in which Ash didn't catch more than 5 Pokemon he used Pokemon from past journeys because his entire team isn't going to battle on consecutive days, and it is especially important because his current team isn't exactly the most diverse. I personally would be very, very excited to see some of Ash's old Pokemon. Of course whatever battle winds up being the climax will feature his Kalos team, but the first few rounds should mix in some old Pokemon.

I also agree that it would be cool for them to have a girl be competitive, but considering they aren't likely to do this often, I would rather they save it for Gen VII and have Ash's main rival be a girl who is actually a really good trainer. The Gen VI rivals sort of follow the gen VI game as the rivals look up to Ash and are all much worse than him, but hopefully we can get back to having a rival that is at least competitive, if not better than Ash in Gen VII, and I would rather that be a girl than just throwing a bone with a three episode character who wins a league and is never seen again.

The way they've handled battles in XY so far does give me a reason to be excited. The gym battles have been fantastic, though I see WHY people are worried though, after the last league. I think also that we have set our expectations very high for rivals, ever since Paul happened. Most rivals haven't been able to live up to the reputation he had, not even Trip who was more distant and not-so-friendly, unlike how Sawyer and Tierno are right now.

Also, I agree that the league needs more female opponents for Ash to face. I'd like to see a female win this thing for once even.

Considering this obvious rush to wrap up XY (Serena's Master Class Showcase anyone? Only two episodes for her Grand Festival-esque moment, and so soon after her third key...), I just can't seem to shake loose this ominous feeling that the Kalos League will be similarly hurried through, almost like the Unova League before it. It's just this bad thought I've got at the back of my head...

I've been watching Advanced Generation because I never got the chance to watch more than 1/5 of it during its original run (the only channel airing Pokemon stopped working in my area). I recently finished watching the Ever Grande Conference episodes. Ash's battle against Katie was my favourite one by far. His battles with Morrison and Tyson felt more like a show of power with explosions and stuff. The battle against Katie was a lot more strategic, with the added bonus of a little humor with Corphish. I hope to see such battles in the Kalos League.

And yes, we definitely need a female trainer to finally win one of these tournaments. We've had enough guys. Give us a female rival for Ash in the next region too! Give us more female rivals and league trainers!

I'm expected to see great animation in the tournament battles. :LOL: I think that might be one of the things I look the most forward to. Gym Battles have been awesome in terms of animation and camera angles. I expect the same quality, or better. Other than that, I do try to keep my expectations low with the rivals and all that. I can't help but hope to see Ash getting in the Top 4 again, or even getting the second place (runner-up). Although, if they actually give Ash the second place, it might feel bad if he gets a lower placement in the Gen VII tournament. Maybe they'll just go with Top 4.

Considering this obvious rush to wrap up XY (Serena's Master Class Showcase anyone? Only two episodes for her Grand Festival-esque moment, and so soon after her third key...), I just can't seem to shake loose this ominous feeling that the Kalos League will be similarly hurried through, almost like the Unova League before it. It's just this bad thought I've got at the back of my head...

Considering that they already ended Serena's goal that early give's me the vibes that they want to make room for the rest of the gym badge, and the TF climax. We have 27-30 episodes left and there a lot room for the climax, league and the last badge.

I am pretty confident that the league won't fail like the Unova league.

It'll be fine to me if Ash ranks top 4 just like the Sinnoh League but man I would like him to reach the final, no matter if he loses against another Tobias-like trainer, it would show he made a good job during his Kalos journey.

I think he will use reserves this time, and hope he learnt the lesson from the godawful Unova league, speaking of which I hope there's NO filler in the middle of the league, that's unforgivable!

To be fair, Serena's goal was pretty much designed for them to rush through quickly. I think part of the reason why she only needed three Princess Keys was so that it wouldn't take her so long to get to the Master Class. Being only two episodes long also makes sense given that there isn't anything like a battle round to make the Master Class last longer. Not to mention I believe that there were only a small number of Performers in the Master Class anyway. Serena finishing her quest sooner also allows for her to question what she'll do after the Kalos League during the remaining episodes too.

While I can understand being concerned about the Kalos League due to Serena's Master Class Showcase, I don't think that they'll rush through this league like they did with the Unova League. They have more time now to spend on Team Flare and the rest of Ash's major battles. I don't see them wasting an episode of the League for a filler episode this time around. They should have enough time to wrap up everything in a satisfying matter.

I'm curious to see how the Kalos League turns out. There aren't too many established trainers that I really want to see Ash battle against. Tierno doesn't do much for me. Sawyer is a better rookie rival than we've seen before, but introducing him so late into the series was a pretty big mistake. Granted, their hands were tied since I'm sure that they wanted to save Sawyer until OR/AS came out, but it still resulted in the writers rushing Sawyer's progress to make him catch up faster to Ash. Trevor could be in the League, but I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't since he seemed more focus on observing Pokemon than battling them. Ash has already beaten all of them multiple times, so that does make a League battle with them less interesting. I am glad that they didn't try to give Ash a main rival in XY, but it does prevent some significant match up to look forward to in this League.

I love the idea of a female trainer beating Ash and winning the Kalos League though. That would be wonderfully refreshing and seeing a female character, even a one-shot character, being a strong battler would be really awesome. I'm not even sure I'd count Bianca as a rival. She really didn't care that much about battling, I think she only battled Ash once and she none of her defeats really phased her after the initial disappointment. Even in the Unova League, she just went on getting food and cheering for Ash as if she wasn't even in the tournament. Having a strong female trainer shown in the Kalos League would be pretty neat. I doubt that's going to happen, but it would be awesome.

I'd honestly be satisfied with a Top 4 rank for Ash as well, but as long as he doesn't go up against a Tobias expy or lose to someone who is far less competent than him, like Cameron. I just want to see that trainer, preferably a female now that this thread makes me think about it, who is just slightly better than Ash, just like Harrison and Tyson were.

I'd honestly be satisfied with a Top 4 rank for Ash as well, but as long as he doesn't go up against a Tobias expy or lose to someone who is far less competent than him, like Cameron. I just want to see that trainer, preferably a female now that this thread makes me think about it, who is just slightly better than Ash, just like Harrison and Tyson were.
It sense to me for Ash make it to the top 4 this time like he did in the Sinnoh League.

Mikuri's post pretty much said all my thoughts (and made me LOL).

The rivals situation is bad. I honestly can't see a good way to remedy it. Alan is highly unlikely to participate and Sanpei moderately unlikely (I hope neither of them do anyway). I find Shouta, Tierno and Trova boring as duck, and I
a. can't imagine
b. don't want
any oldskool rivals (someone mentioned Shinji) to return here at random, with no hint that they'd been collecting badges in Kalos thus far.

Still though, League is always top fun and top animation right? The gym battles have been great fun to watch in XY so hopefully the League won't be worse quality than them!!

As cool as it would be to see older rivals again, having them suddenly appear for the League would feel so weak. Something like that requires buildup and indication that they're in Kalos. Throwing them in there to randomly run into Ash would be too forced to be enjoyable. I could see Ash getting to the Top 4 again though. While I still don't think he's as good as he was during DP and I still have serious problems with his XY team, his skills during most of his Gym battles make me think he could get to that rank again. Plus, Greninja could give him a significant boost, especially if they're able to figure out its new form before the League.

As cool as it would be to see older rivals again, having them suddenly appear for the League would feel so weak. Something like that requires buildup and indication that they're in Kalos. Throwing them in there to randomly run into Ash would be too forced to be enjoyable. I could see Ash getting to the Top 4 again though. While I still don't think he's as good as he was during DP and I still have serious problems with his XY team, his skills during most of his Gym battles make me think he could get to that rank again. Plus, Greninja could give him a significant boost, especially if they're able to figure out its new form before the League.

I agree. Seeing someone like Paul make a sudden appearance feels unnecessary? I mean ,we already got past his and Ash's primary story, so there's not much reason to bring him back right now. Its kinda too late in the series to bring someone like Paul, Ritchie, Tyson, Harrison, Barry, Bianca, Stephan, or Trip back in.

I think Ash's chances of making Top 4 again are good, but if the KL ends up being rushed then he'll likely just make Top 8 imo. Also, I can't wait to see how exactly Ash will lose: Will the writers top Tobias and Cameron in terms of embarrassing ways for Ash to get beaten? I'm giddy with anticipation!

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom