• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Leaks/Rumors Thread

Not type, but region.
=P Nah, we could get a regional variant of every type. We've got Normal, Dark and Steel so far, just fifteen more to go.

Gawd, if Meowth keeps getting variants, its bulbapedia page is either going to start looking hilarious or have to figure out something unique for its infobox, and I am all for it. XD

=P Nah, we could get a regional variant of every type. We've got Normal, Dark and Steel so far, just fifteen more to go.

Gawd, if Meowth keeps getting variants, its bulbapedia page is either going to start looking hilarious or have to figure out something unique for its infobox, and I am all for it. XD
To be honest, many fans including myself would rather have an Eeveelution of every type than Meowth stealing that gimmick using regional variants and evolutions as an excuse. If they’re going to keep doing the Meowth thing, then Game Freak should make them dual types instead so as to not encroach on Eevee’s thing.

To be honest, many fans including myself would rather have an Eeveelution of every type than Meowth stealing that gimmick using regional variants and evolutions as an excuse. If they’re going to keep doing the Meowth thing, then Game Freak should make them dual types instead so as to not encroach on Eevee’s thing.
Little late for that.

And I think what they should do is both- if they would continue giving us eeveelutions two at a time, we would easily run out of types to have eeveelutions of well before Meowth remotely caught up with regional variants. It would be like passing over the "every type" torch.

Actually, what could be cool is if eevee started getting dual-type third stage evos while Meowth continued on the one of every mono-type track.

Last edited:

What they should have done is give Meowth the types Eevee doesn't have (So the Physical types).

Meowth having tons of regional forms would in no way be stealing Eevee’s “thing”. Being able to evolve into many different types (all different species) is completely different than having many different variants.

There’s tons of cat species in the world with different coloration and from different areas… I think it’d be fun for the first cat Pokémon to have a ton of different forms. It’s not like it ever takes away from anything else getting a variant (they just make however many they want, there’s no quota).

Eh, don't particularly like the idea of Meowth having so many variants which could be new Pokemon or new regionals for other Pokemon.

All the discussion about Ursaring reminds me of other old Pokemon that could use the spotlight.

1635307463119.png

Eh, don't particularly like the idea of Meowth having so many variants which could be new Pokemon or new regionals for other Pokemon.

All the discussion about Ursaring reminds me of other old Pokemon that could use the spotlight.
It can't really "steal" from other pokemon. Ideas don't work like that. If they come up with a good idea for another pokemon, they will make that too. Meowth getting a form doesn't bar anything else from getting one or a new pokemon from being made- an idea for a regional meowth is just an idea for a regional meowth.

It can't really "steal" from other pokemon. Ideas don't work like that. If they come up with a good idea for another pokemon, they will make that too. Meowth getting a form doesn't bar anything else from getting one or a new pokemon from being made- an idea for a regional meowth is just an idea for a regional meowth.
Eh, pretty sure they have a set number of designs to make it into the game? What that number is, is anyone's guess, but I don't think everything makes it.

Even the original games cut Pokemon, so something made it in front of something that didn't - of course that was space constraints, but the same thing could happen here. I'm positive they had more ideas than just those that made it into XY, SM and SWSH for example since those are relatively smaller than generations prior.

Of course I could be getting my numbers wrong once you add in Megas, regionals, Gmax etc. but maybe that proves the point if they spent time on those designs instead.

Eh, pretty sure they have a set number of designs to make it into the game? What that number is, is anyone's guess, but I don't think everything makes it.

Even the original games cut Pokemon, so something made it in front of something that didn't - of course that was space constraints, but the same thing could happen here. I'm positive they had more ideas than just those that made it into XY, SM and SWSH for example since those are relatively smaller than generations prior.

Of course I could be getting my numbers wrong once you add in Megas, regionals, Gmax etc. but maybe that proves the point if they spent time on those designs instead.

There's a set minimum, probably, because that number never drops below 100, but there's no indication of a cap on how many designs can be released within a generation, because those numbers have varied wildly between 100 and about 160, at least, and we've rarely come close to that higher end, so most generations have had ample room for more.

As for designs that haven't made it, space constraints aren't really an issue these days, and especially now that we've moved from the 3DS, so designs just get vetoed if they don't like them, if they don't make sense, or if there's no place for them ecologically. And that happens very early on in the design process, that's why we don't find any hints of scrapped pokemon anymore.

Meowth also isn't a complicated design by any means, and neither have either of its variants been. It functions well as a base, so the amount of time spent on designing forms for it has to be pretty negligible compared to new pokemon and any possible variants for anything else.

Also consider that if there had been any particular limit on regional variants in Gen 7, we probably wouldn't have had Dark-type Alolan Meowth and Normal/Dark Alolan Rattata sharing the same route.

Last edited:
Many say that Ursaring will have a female evolution. It makes no sense to me.
I'm similarly skeptical of those alledged Hisuian forms for the starters, too.

I just can't see it. New moves, sure, but actual new forms for the starters sounds like something from a ROM hack, and even the wildest ROM hacks don't usually go that far.

Last edited:
I'm similarly skeptical of those alledged Hisuian forms for the starters, too.

I just can't see it. New moves, sure, but actual new forms for the starters sounds like something from a fanfic.
I mean, Mega Evolution and Ash-Greninja did happen, so it doesn't seem that farfetched to me.

Not that I buy into the leaks all that much, but mother bears are very scary and aggressive.
I figured that's what people are thinking but it seems so unnecessary to me to make an evo for that. Like... female hyenas are more dominant and aggressive than male hyenas- female mightyena evo when?

And what would they do to designate it as a mama bear, give it a cub to be overprotective over? We already have kangaskhan rocking that mama bear vibe.

I mean, Mega Evolution and Ash-Greninja did happen, so it doesn't seem that farfetched to me.

I figured that's what people are thinking but it seems so unnecessary to me to make an evo for that. Like... female hyenas are more dominant and aggressive than male hyenas- female mightyena evo when?

And what would they do to designate it as a mama bear, give it a cub to be overprotective over? We already have kangaskhan rocking that mama bear vibe.
Pokemon has never really translated gender traits of real biology into Pokemon, aside from a select few. If they did, something like Chinchou and Lanturn would be female-only. Their gendering of Pokemon is arbitrary and seems more on-line with typical* human gender norms.

*Note: I say typical as in like, traditional. I don't wanna start any bad discussion about gender, that's not my intent here.

Pokemon has never really translated gender traits of real biology into Pokemon, aside from a select few. If they did, something like Chinchou and Lanturn would be female-only. Their gendering of Pokemon is arbitrary and seems more on-line with typical* human gender norms.

*Note: I say typical as in like, traditional. I don't wanna start any bad discussion about gender, that's not my intent here.
I just think that without adding a child to a design, any parental theme gets lost, so either we get a kangaskhan 2.0 in mama bear or an unnecessarily feminine bear.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom