• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Looking Back – It's Painful

Shiay

Actual Cannibal Shiay LaBeouf
Reaction score
Before anyone is coming in here expecting a fanfiction, you're not going to be getting one. If you read ahead, I believe you may actually find yourself to be... well... something. Because I'm not going to guess what your reaction will be. I just feel that because of what's in this, it really does belong here in the Writer's Workshop.

As the title says... looking back is painful, but it's well worth it. Now... I never really thought about creating a thread like this... but I stumbled across old fanfction back from when I was twelve – yeah, you read that correctly; twelve. Now honestly... I have to look at these and I seriously have to laugh at myself. Now... I know that I and many others know that when they first get started writing, they're not going to be the best out there – but when you look back at your stuff from when you were just getting started, you have to sit there, stare at it and just wonder something along the lines of, “was I really so terrible back then?”

Now... just to prove my point... I'm going to show you something that I wrote at twelve because I was... * coughs * well... to be very blunt about it, a Mary-Sue freak. My characters were horrible, my plots lacked, I only wrote what I wanted happening, happening within the story right then and right there.

WARNING: You may run away screaming because of my lack of experience at this point and time in my life when I was writing.
"What the hell Shayde, are you trying to hurt me?" Ed shouted. Shayde just ignored this comment and walk past him to the spot where she shot her throwing stars at. She pickd up a rabbit with all four of her stars embedded in its skin.
"You could of told me you saw something instead of surprising us." Ed said with an anime sweatdrop.
"But lunch would have ran away." Shayde replied, pulling out her pocket knife and skinning the rabbit. After she had, she had found a nice, long stick and then peeled the bark off and stuck it through the bunny.
"Are you going to eat that raw?" Ed asked, disgusted.
"No, go find some wood so we can start a fire." Shayde told them to do. She heard rustling in the thicket of the jungle and then quickly turned around.
"Did you see something?" Ed asked with firewood in his arms.
"I... no, I didn't, it might have just been a bird or something." Shayde replied. She set up camp by a pile of leaves that's been there ever since she was little. Setting up the fire and then a rotisserie type thing over the fire and rotating the skinned rabbit slowly over the fire so it was fully cooked. She and Ed ate while Al is asleep. After she ate, she laid down on the leaves and stared up into the clear, starry night.

Okay... even just rereading that for myself is painful, so I'm going to do both myself and you a favour and just cut it off there.

Now... see... as you can clearly tell – aside from the fact that I was a Fullmetal Alchemist nutcase – I lacked the ability to actually develop a character through dialogue and actions and again, only really wrote what I wanted happening, happening right then and there. If one where to actually have see the whole thing that that passage came from, it wouldn't have even made two full pages on my OpenOffice application. And, you know... I'm not saying that short stories are terrible (it's just that I'm not a big fan of them).

People can actually convey a lot with a really good amount of quality in a very short story or chapter – so just because I'm complaining about myself not reaching more than just two pages on my OpenOffice doesn't mean that you should feel down about your stories being less than that.

Anyways....

Points to actually be looking for when going over writing when you read over stuff from the past like that – that is, if you feel like rewriting them for some reason (in which case, I am never touching that foul excuse of a fanfiction ever, ever, ever again....) – then you should be looking at what you did and comparing them to what you could be doing.

Questions to be asking yourself is usually as follows:

What could I have done better/differently?

How can I describe this to where my audience can actually imagine what it is that I'm imagining when I write this?

How are my character's actions flawed/wrong?

Is my character too perfect/a Mary-Sue/a Gary-Stu?

What can I do to prevent my character from being hated because of that?

And you know, I'm sure that there's actually a whole bunch more questions than just those ones (those ones are just ones I could pull off the top of my head on a whim).

Anyways... let's actually compare that monstrosity of a passage with this more recent passage here:

"Well, it's not to worry so much, you two..." an aged voice rang out. A small woman that had earlier been introduced to the teens as an elder had walked up to them, a wrinkled smile upon her face in understanding of what the two teens were going through. The old woman turned her gaze back to the other elders that were in the room before clearing her throat and addressing the two teens once again, "perhaps... if you two were to take a break of what's going on and go out to enjoy yourselves. The both of you have been practicing your lines and acts all throughout the two weeks that you've been here in Ecruteak... I wouldn't think of that to be quite fair to you two since when you both came, you were chosen on a whim...."

The female teen's gaze turned to the woman and a smile found it's way upon her lips, "really? That would be great!" the girl's emerald gaze then turned to male teen, "what do you say about that, huh, J?"

The boy (only now known as 'J' for the time being) gave a shrug of his shoulders and gave a rather passive response, "I really don't mind one way or the other... it's up to you, I suppose."
"... You always say that, though..." the girl replied, giving a rather annoyed huff to the response that he had given her. Nearing him, she looked up to him and then folded her arms over her chest, "c'mon... there must be something that you at least want to be doing. There's no way that you are always 'fine' with the suggestions I make and the places I want to go to; so you know what? It's your turn to choose."

A look of irritation crossed over the boy's face for a moment and then he just gave a light sigh, not really wanting to argue with the girl. Raising a hand, he fiddled with his snakebite piercings that lined his lower lip and gave what is was he wanted to see or go to some thought before giving a smirk and then grabbing the girl's hand, starting to lead her down the stairs of the tower. He lazily rose a hand to the elders that stood there in the room and waved, not really saying goodbye, just dragging the colourfully dressed girl behind him as he had thought up of a place where it was that they could go.

"... This fails to answer my question... I really hope you recognize this..." the girl muttered as she and 'J' were headed down the stairs.

"Yeah, yeah..." the dark-haired boy replied, tossing his head slightly to get his medium length hair from obscuring his vision. His grip tightened on the girl's hand and as the duo got to the bottom step of the flight of stairs, he turned to her with a concerned look upon his face. She, in return, gave a rather quizzical look as she tilted her head, awaiting what it was that he was about to say to her.

"... You're really going to be alright tonight... right?"

"Why?"

"Dix... I know you're afraid of ghost-types... and the finale is going to be something that has them... it was explained to us when we were chosen for the roles," the boy said, furrowing his brow somewhat. There were just some things that were told and explained to them that he had taken far into consideration... and even though his peer was given the option to not take on the role, she had brushed it aside and said everything was going to be fine.

The teen boy had high doubts about that very thing, though.

"Listen, I can manage, I promise.”

All right... as we can see, a five year time difference has affected my writing greatly. More description, less abrupt passages, more character development in a relatively short amount of time. The same questions will still arise when you look at your newer work, but less often – especially when you know you've improved and can see it in your writing – and especially when others can see it in your writing that you've known for a while, too.

It's also come to my attention that actually receiving more harsh critiques does sometimes provide a better result. I'm not encouraging it (really...) – however, let's be honest with one another, shall we? We'll get upset when someone tells us all of our flaws, we'll not want to listen to them, we'll keep going our merry way. Though, even though we do do all of that, during that time, we're thinking about the stuff it is that they said about it and then just start to go, “huh... well... I hate to admit it... but... they're actually right.”

I mean... I got real sensitive when people called my characters Mary-Sues. Now when someone says that my character is leaning into being a Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu, I ask how it is that they're being so and then do my level best to change that without changing my character dramatically.

One of the things that one has to be is to not be afraid to ask questions. If someone says something about your writing and you don't see it, ask what it is, ask them to point it out and then read over it and then see what you can do to fix it. This where a Beta would come in handy. If you're not sure about your writing, you can always send it to them and have them look over it and tell you. Betas aren't just there for grammatical and spelling errors – they're also there to help you with stuff you, yourself, are not certain of. Again, don't be afraid to ask questions.

People say that some of their readers are the harsher critics that they've got – I've always been told by my father that the worst critic that I'll always have is myself. It's true – even as an artist that draws, I'm constantly going, “that doesn't look right. That doesn't sound right. What am I doing wrong? Why can't I do this better? No one is going to like this.” – it's a toss up to listen to yourself when you're writing or drawing – because it's you that's the one that's producing it.

I know it takes a lot of work to actually go back and look at something that you did a long time ago – but I'm sure it'll be worth it. And remember... there's always room for improvement.

This is very true. Very much. Also, when I read the title of this thread, I thought you were making fun of Zephy's fanfic, Don't Look Back.

This is very true. Very much. Also, when I read the title of this thread, I thought you were making fun of Zephy's fanfic, Don't Look Back.

Haha, no no... I'd never make fun of Zephy. Zephy's awesome .D.~

Perhaps "In Retrospect" would be a more appropriate name in this case.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom