• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

More prototype Pokemon from Gold and Silver revealed

I guess this means we must be closer to Festa Ruby and "bowl haircut Barry" Gen IV than we thought.
There have been two waves of DP betas, one had gender differences of quite a lot of Pokémon and the other had beta versions of Munchlax and Weavile's sprites. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw more or something related to Gen 3 within a year though.

There have been two waves of DP betas, one had gender differences of quite a lot of Pokémon and the other had beta versions of Munchlax and Weavile's sprites. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw more or something related to Gen 3 within a year though.
No, we only have the sprites, I mean an actual build.

On another note: that blob thing that is seen in Wobbuffet's sprites? That's Shuppet.

I just love this kind of content and information. I confess that at first all seem veeery weird and aswful but the more I see it the more I like it because I'm already so used to what should be expected, but those were the earlier days, where the Pocket Monsters was more alive than just the cute "Pkmn" and mixed with more of Japan's lore and myths. I absolutely adore the previous concept and look of Celebi!
I'd like very much if this kind of content was released in a book detailing the creation process and history of the Pkmn games.

Yikes. The website I linked to has been taken down. It'll take a while to document all the post-97 sprites (rest assured that people still have the files), but you might want to save just about everything you find interesting.

Nintendo? Grow up. I dare you to take this down.

Last edited:
Yikes. The website I linked to has been taken down. It'll take a while to document all the post-97 sprites (rest assured that people still have the files), but you might want to save just about everything you find interesting.

Nintendo? Grow up. I dare you to take this down.
Weird, aside from that one Google doc, they have not taken similar actions towards leaks like this. Heck, someone managed to leak a Super Mario 64 DD port with no problems at all, but this is enough to make them react? I know the circumstances of the leak were pretty bad and it's possible the same person is still leaking them, but I feel weird about seeing them react to this. I also hate how that guy never leaked EarthBound 64, seeing how it is the holy grail of lost videogames.

Also, don't tempt fate.

They wanted a dragon/ ghost skeleton back then...

Would be cool to see that design used in future.
Together with that black bird musician.
Both could get abilities like Shedinja.
Skeleton ghost/dragon immune to special moves (getting movesset with dragon, rock, ground,ghost and dark moves),
Dark kockoo bird musician immune to physical moves(celebi 2 beta the shadow itself- would get mostly sound moves)....
(would make it either ghost/dark or ghost/psychic, if it would only learn sound moves then ghost/dark would be a option)

That gligar still could be alternate evolution with ghost or poison typing.

They planned a pinsir bug/ghost evolution with mask.... A bug/ghost mummymoth...
A alternate ninetales evo back then?

The alternate noctowl would make a cool new owl pokemon...

The Ditto still could become a new regional ghost pokemon with Necromancy ability to transform into oponents last fainted pokemon. That design is cool.

Last edited:
That design was also in Spaceworld, and it was pure Bug. It later got turned into Heracross.
I wouldn't say that. The scratchpad sprites imply that it was replaced by Forretress, which is not to say that they have anything in common.

It's time for more fanart (each artist's name is right below the relevant work):

Fanart for Protos.png

JWNutz (all the above Pokemon names and types are conjecture/fictional)

More Fanart.png

Cactus-Senpai

Also some I've found for older discoveries:

Buu and Baloonda.jpg
Louminosus

dcdz5r8-f04d8a46-6864-410d-a0e6-568c6043c700.png
leparagon

Some of the "new" ones remind me of Yokai Watch in their zany concepts and yokai inspiration. I can't say I'm a big fan of those, but it's weird that Game Freak removed the stork from the generation that introduced breeding, and this hasn't been rectified since. "Skelattack" probably would have been one of the most popular fossil Pokemon to date, and a Rock/Ghost or Dragon/Ghost typing would have been sorely appreciated back then.

Last edited:
But she has a Piloswine, a Slowbro, a Cloyster, and a Jynx, none of them are blue.
All the more the reason for a change of pace.

Seriously though, brown makes sense for Piloswine (which probably replaced the Wolfman line) and the other examples you mentioned aren't primarily Ice types (Jynx' primary type is Ice, but her color is a a whole can of worms). Take a look at the mono Ice types we've had since then.

It's honestly odd that Game Freak bothered with shinies just for the Super Game Boy. Maybe they would have swapped the two sprites had they kept the line.

Last edited:
All the more the reason for a change of pace.

Seriously though, brown makes sense for Piloswine (which probably replaced the Wolfman line) and the other examples you mentioned aren't primarily Ice types (Jynx' primary type is Ice, but her color is a a whole can of worms). Take a look at the mono Ice types we've had since then.

It's honestly odd that Game Freak bothered with shinies just for the Super Game Boy. Maybe they would have swapped the two sprites had they kept the line.
I know, I was just joking. Also, on Jynx's color, erm, I prefer to think as red as her main color and leave it at that.

That design was also in Spaceworld, and it was pure Bug. It later got turned into Heracross.

I would take that design and do a bug/ghost with that exact design or change into a egyptian scarab.

that Delibird could have been a evo or better a mega... ice/flying could be ice/fairy??? santa? it's you or maybe a ability?

Octilery looks like with armor maybe water/steel with this armor, mega octillery???

I think they should re-use this designs and make them as new pokemon...

loking at amount there are above 40 designs ready for new pokemon....

Kieatana with a sword tail instead in the mouth as its tail a sword.... and blades on end of hands and elbows...

stingler ghost/bug or bug/psychic

the storch would make sense with Parental Bond, flying/fighting could work right there it should be really done would give it a straw hat

the celebi beta gives me a idea of pokemon that could use its shadow as substitue and to use some moves double like ghost and dark type moves...

Last edited:
Here's a website that contains all the recently discovered sprites (they're still working on the scratchpads). Some interesting facts:

1. The early 151+ sprites I assumed predated Spaceworld 97, actually came later (in 98, exactly 22 years ago). This means that at that point the games contained 302 Pokemon sprites (not including the Unown forms and the alternate Ampharos and Gloom). They definitely weren't all given complete data, as there wasn't enough space for that.

2. The later sprites are from June 99 (there was a small update one week later). The near final ones are from September 99.

3. Here are some GBC sprites for Spaceworld Pokemon I hadn't seen before (as well as a different prototype Porygon2):

GS_990613_pokemon_front_247.png
GS_990613_pokemon_front_222.png
GS_990613_pokemon_front_219.png
GS_990613_pokemon_front_233.png
GS_990613_pokemon_front_206.png
GS_990613_pokemon_front_207.png
GS_990613_pokemon_front_212.png
GS_990613_pokemon_front_213.png

Note that the Wolfman line look like the shiny Spaceworld sprites. Tcrf says that Wolfman might be a placeholder for Pupitar, hence the palette, but that doesn't work for Warwolf which was replaced by Corsola.

@prog rocker

Last edited:
3. Here are some GBC sprites for Spaceworld Pokemon I hadn't seen before (as well as a different prototype Porygon2):

GS_990613_pokemon_front_247.png
GS_990613_pokemon_front_222.png
GS_990613_pokemon_front_219.png
GS_990613_pokemon_front_233.png

Note that the Wolfman line look like the shiny Spaceworld sprites. Tcrf says that Wolfman might be a placeholder for Pupitar, hence the palette, but that doesn't work for Warwolf which was replaced by Corsola.

@prog rocker
So the artists using by mistake the shiny palette were actually right? Okay, this is the second time such a thing has happened to me.

EDIT: Is it me, or one of the unused overworld sprites looks like Imakuni??

Last edited:
Early Celebi was based off of a wind instrument playing deity? Awwww. I wish so much that it could have been.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom