• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Most-Used Art Mediums

Pacific Pikachu

Cuddly Electric Critter
Reaction score
Another question somewhat in the spirit of my last art-related question thread. Merely out of curiosity, what are your favorite mediums to use?

I'm a colored-pencil person myself. ^^;; I adore those colored pencils. I generally do a pencil sketch, ink it, and color it with Prismacolors. I'm also known to do a lot of ballpoint-pen shading and the occasional [awful] marker stuff. I can't paint no matter what you do to me. ._.;

I'm sort of kind of learning the ropes of Photoshop now, thanks to one of my friends and a small amount of practice, so that may start to become something I do more frequently. Maybe.

How about everyone here? What do you use to get out those creative ideas?

MS Paint's the only thing I have to use so it's what I use.

I usually color on an Oekaki board nowadays; favoring Shi Painter, but when I do draw off the computer, I use Colored Pencils all the time. XD They're really the only thing I can use and make look right. I'm not too fond of the only other thing I have, which is crayons. :p

Coloured pencils for me, prismacolours. Got a set of 48 and they suit me just fine. I also have a few of the prismacolour markers, but I don't use them as much. I usually sketch on notebook paper, transfer it over to my nice sketchbook, ink, then colour.

I can't use the computer to colour if my life depended on it.

Prisma pencils, Rose Art pencils, pencil shading, and Photoshop 6.

Random stuff, but mostly Photoshop + MS Paint combo. One can't live without the other, IMO.

I'm a girl of variety, I've tried a bit of different mediums. I worked with charcoal for a while doing some strange "realistic" Pokemon pictures (of which I scanned maybe two, because it was rather messy). I did an acryllic "realism" Latias/Latios picture last year in art, the canvas being about 2' by 3' or so (I can't remember exactly, but it was quite large.) Last year around the same time, I worked on a huge pastel picture of Volbeat and Illumise that I couldn't take home because I had no fixatif, it was windy, and the picture kept on hitting me and getting pastels all over my shirt... that was the last day, too. It upset me >_< *should visit the art room this year to find out what happened to it.*

I've experimented with oils only a few times. One time being when I messed with Treecko/Mudkip/Torchic when they first came out, and I never finished the Treecko. The other two times being early in the year, a small Moltres one, then another, a large canvas, where I painted a "realism" picture, based on the black plague. It was all going well until I chickened out and didn't paint the people... or the road.. then it'd be about done, if I recall. I might take a picture of it, sometime, but it's awfully embarrassing to me...

Anyway, I do lots and LOTS of mechanical pencil on any paper sketches. If I go beyond that, I'll either
1) clean up the sketch, ink it, and erase the penciling
a. scan and CG
b. continue with either Prisma markers or pencils
2) scan and outline, then color
3) color without fixing the outline, leaving the "sketchy" look

So basically, I'm looking around to all types of mediums to find what I like and to know which is best for what type of art. I'm going to try more with oils sometime later, because I think I could do better if I just practiced more, which I should do. >_> If I'm going to ink somethink, I have to get it perfect. I'll sketch out on lots of paper til I get it right, then draw the same thing on the paper that's good for inking and whatnot.

SO, to sum it up, I either CG, because it's super neat to CG things well, or I'll color it with my markers or pencils. ^^;

Ah, PK, I use nothing but mechanical pencils. .5 mm, to be exact. I refuse to draw with any other type of pencil. Well, I suppose I would draw with a *smaller* lead than that, but nothing bigger. .7 mm is evil and much too thick. @_@ Pens, it's kind of whatever I have on hand, but with pencils I'm picky.

Great to see the varieties of what people use. I sometimes feel so unoriginal with the mediums I use... Colored pencil? Pfft. Clichéd. I love it so much, though.

Math notebook pwns you all!!! Uh, yeah... Most of my drawings are pencil sketches (I use mechanical 0.5mm, too). Got an all-steel barrel pencil... it looks so evil... I want to stab friends with it. >_> Yeah, drawing on paper is messy, but I like to do so when I'm just gathering ideas and experimenting. Currently trying to draw a mech armor type of thing (again, being clueless about everything XD might post it when I have time to finish it)... drew some of the components on paper first. Oh yeah, I got a Graphire3 tablet a few days ago. :D I think I'll get to love Shi-Chan's PaintChat applet even more now. :D

Colored pencils, finetip markers, and metallic gel pens...

That's what I use the most. And I've learned how unique
it is to put marker over pencil to create awesome effects
and also unusual color variations (like green over purple).

I've been coloring with one basic style.
First I do a basic sketch with either a heavy led artist pencil or a mech about .5 mm lead. Then I go over the sketch with one of my thousands of black pens, from ballpoint thinness to Sharpie thickness. Then I erase all the pencil lines with a gum eraser. Finally I color my drawing in with Crayola markers (I collect them and my collection is gigantic, I have almost all the colors made). For shading I just get a black pencil. Then I go over the outline with a thick sharpie to make a professional look.
Recently I've been drawing up sketches and when I install Photoshop into my pc and say goodbye to PaintShop (tell me if I shouldn't, because I dont have too much space on my pc left), I'll color the pics in and show em to BMG and PC.

Prisma pencils/markers, mspaint, and a ballpoint pen on notebook paper for doodles I don't take seriously.

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom