• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Kartana can't learn Slash despite its codename.
Golett/Golurk can't learn Fissure, although this is likely because of No Guard.

One of the most senseless moves on a Pokemon is Dugtrio's ability to use Sucker Punch. The thing (or is it things) has no hands, what the eff is it punching with?!
I'm guessing that’s one of the quirks of translation. Sucker Punch isn’t actually meant to be a punching move. The Japanese name is "surprise attack" if I remember correctly. It doesn’t get an iron fist boost too.

Lopunny, the rabbit with long legs and several kicking moves, can learn Fire Punch... but not Blaze Kick.

But don’t fret, freaking Genesect has that one covered. Terminator Cockroach with a deadly fire weakness can learn a fire kick.
It also learns Flame Charge, which even involves the user completely engulfing itself on fire.

Oh, and speaking of Lopunny, does anyone else find it weird that it can't learn Body Slam or Double-Edge? Idk, it's just that with Return getting axed Lopunny was kinda left high and dry of good STAB, as the next best options for that are moves that only do good damage under certain conditions (Facade and Retaliate), are too inaccurate to be reliable (Mega Punch/Kick), have detrimental side effects (Giga Impact), or work off its borderline unusable Special Attack (Hyper Voice). Sure, one could argue that Lopunny is too "dainty-looking" to believably body-slam into opponents, but Body Slam and Double-Edge have such widespread distribution that even freaking Diglett (and 8-inch tall mole) can learn them, so I don't see why a much larger rabbit shouldn't be able to either.

It also learns Flame Charge, which even involves the user completely engulfing itself on fire.

Oh, and speaking of Lopunny, does anyone else find it weird that it can't learn Body Slam or Double-Edge? Idk, it's just that with Return getting axed Lopunny was kinda left high and dry of good STAB, as the next best options for that are moves that only do good damage under certain conditions (Facade and Retaliate), are too inaccurate to be reliable (Mega Punch/Kick), have detrimental side effects (Giga Impact), or work off its borderline unusable Special Attack (Hyper Voice). Sure, one could argue that Lopunny is too "dainty-looking" to believably body-slam into opponents, but Body Slam and Double-Edge have such widespread distribution that even freaking Diglett (and 8-inch tall mole) can learn them, so I don't see why a much larger rabbit shouldn't be able to either.
Wait, I thought Lopunny could? Wow, considering it's impressive moveset it can learn the stuff it cannot learn is also stupid. For a Pokémon that went more physical when it's Mega was introduced, it's special moveset is still a bit more loved by the Devs.

Ninetales a Pokémon known for spritual powers especially in its anime appearances, cannot learn Psychic only Extrasensory in fact Ninetales can only learn only one other Psychic move leveling up, Imprison. As of Gen 8 it can learn Zen Headbutt and Psyshock, but still not Psychic.

It puzzles me that in BD/SP, the Gligar line, the Zigzagoon line and Bidoof can't learn Rock Climb, despite being able to learn it via breeding for three generations.

Welp, given there are new moves in PLA, here are some more distributions I think would make sense.
• Raging Fury: Charizard, Primeape, Emboar, Arcanine, almost all fire types.
• Chloroblast: Oddish line, Sunflora, Lilligant-U, Bounsweet line, Bellsprout line
• Infernal Parade: Vulpix line, Misdreavus line, Litwick line
• Bitter Malice: Gastly line, Duskull line, Shuppet line, Dragapult.
• Dire Claw: Zangoose, Nidoqueen, Nidoking, Sandslash-K and Sandslash-A
• Power Shift: Shuckle (lol)
• Shelter: Parasect, Torkoal, Squirtle line, Shuckle, Shellder line, Drednaw, Dwebble line
• Victory Dance: Machamp, Passimian

Welp, given there are new moves in PLA, here are some more distributions I think would make sense.
• Raging Fury: Charizard, Primeape, Emboar, Arcanine, almost all fire types.
• Chloroblast: Oddish line, Sunflora, Lilligant-U, Bounsweet line, Bellsprout line
• Infernal Parade: Vulpix line, Misdreavus line, Litwick line
• Bitter Malice: Gastly line, Duskull line, Shuppet line, Dragapult.
• Dire Claw: Zangoose, Nidoqueen, Nidoking, Sandslash-K and Sandslash-A
• Power Shift: Shuckle (lol)
• Shelter: Parasect, Torkoal, Squirtle line, Shuckle, Shellder line, Drednaw, Dwebble line
• Victory Dance: Machamp, Passimian

Infernal Parade - Obviously the Litwick line
Shelter - Toxapex

Normal-types as a whole really suffered without Return. It can learn Strength though, but that's the best it's going to get in BD/SP that works off its higher attacking stat.

Normal-types as a whole really suffered without Return. It can learn Strength though, but that's the best it's going to get in BD/SP that works off its higher attacking stat.
Slighty off-topic, but I will never understand why Return (and Frustation) got deleted. The Normal-type's biggest L.

Also, I really hate that Signal Beam was deleted too. It was good coverage for a lot of mons.

Last edited:
Yeah, but I'm highlighting Lopunny because other Normal-types at the very least have Double-Edge or Body Slam as decent STAB options despite lack of Return/Frustration. Lopunny is not one of those.

Slighty off-topic, but I will never understand why Return (and Frustation) got deleted. The Normal type biggest L.

Also, I really hate that Signal Beam was deleted too. It was good coverage for a lot of mons.
One reason I could see Return and Frustration being removed is to nerf Aerialate and Pixilate Ability users and Parental Bond Kangaskhan... except Megas were removed altogether too, so that wasn't an issue anymore, so idk what the thought process was.

And Electric-types really hate the removal of Signal Beam. Poor Jolteon has to make do with Hyper Voice of all things just because the devs decided to be extra cruel (I mean, seriously, if they're going to take away one of the very few coverage moves Jolteon has, the very least they could do is allow it to learn one or two new ones like Grass Knot or something, but instead they took away stuff and gave it literally nothing in exchange...)

It’s weird that Dragon Rage got booted too. The most iconic dragon move.
Is it really, though? 40 base damage is impressive at first, but it loses its usefulness over the course of the game, and doesn't really show off the Dragon type's advantages with unresisted stab, since it's basically just a stronger version of Sonic Boom. It's definitely one of the moves I would give the ax if I were in charge of the moves cut.

Is it really, though? 40 base damage is impressive at first, but it loses its usefulness over the course of the game, and doesn't really show off the Dragon type's advantages with unresisted stab, since it's basically just a stronger version of Sonic Boom. It's definitely one of the moves I would give the ax if I were in charge of the moves cut.
They probably mean that the move itself is pretty popular thanks to the anime irrespective of actual usefulness.

It's also one of the most widely accessible Dragon-Type moves at lower levels, and its incredible usefulness in the early-mid game means that a lot of people are going to have used it if they managed to nab a Dragon Type. It was also literally the only Dragon-Type move in Gen I. Even if most people these days won't have played a Gen I game, that alone gives it something of an iconic status.

It's also one of the most widely accessible Dragon-Type moves at lower levels, and its incredible usefulness in the early-mid game means that a lot of people are going to have used it if they managed to nab a Dragon Type. It was also literally the only Dragon-Type move in Gen I. Even if most people these days won't have played a Gen I game, that alone gives it something of an iconic status.
It's a great crutch move, but I wouldn't call it iconic.

Back
Top Bottom