• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

My newest team(Gen IV)

Detective Calvin

Pokémon Private Eye
Reaction score
After much thought, I've put together a team that, in theory, should work well.

Hippowdon@Leftovers
Impish Nature
252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SpD
~ Earthquake
~ Slack Off
~ Stealth Rock
~ Roar / Toxic / Stone Edge / Ice Fang

I use a different variation of this Hippowdon based on my knowledge or prediction of my opponent's team. I use one with Roar for phazing, Toxic for wearing down enemy leads, Stone Edge for type coverage, and Ice Fang to take care of leads like Gliscor or Aerodactyl. Regardless of the variation, it serves as a check to Lucario.

Breloom @T. Orb
Jolly Nature
Poison Heal
12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe
~Substitute
~Focus Punch
~Spore
~Seed Bomb

Breloom is my first-string sweeper, and provides a much needed check to water-types and other threats like Close Combat-Crunch-Ice Punch Lucario.

Lucario@Choice Specs
Timid Nature
Inner Focus
252SpA/252Spe/4Def
~Aura Sphere
~Shadow Ball
~Dragon Pulse
~Vacuum Wave

My Special Sweeper of choice.

Empoleon@Life Orb
Modest Nature
12 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
~Agility
~Hydro Pump
~Ice Beam
~Grass Knot

Agility set. Adds much need type coverage, especially fire.

Starmie@Leftovers
Timid Nature
Natural Cure
252HP/4SpD/252Spe
~Rapid Spin
~Surf
~Thunderbolt
~Recover

Starmie is mainly for spinning away hazards, but can put someone away if need be.

Tyranitar @E. Belt
Naive Nature
56 Atk / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
~Flamethrower
~Ice Beam
~Crunch
~Superpower

Tyranitar serves as my late game sweeper. It can 2HKO most everything with its type coverage, and is definitely the backbone of the team.

Last edited:
I think you should put a little more thought into this team. It isn't as bad as it could be, but it needs some retooling. I'd first suggest getting rid of Rhyperior and Torterra. With a few exceptions, lower-tier Pokemon are not useful in OU at all. I'd also recommend trying to replace Lucario. Choice Specs is, in my opinion, the least useful set Lucario can run.

I won't give you a full rate, but I will give you some options to consider. You can also try looking around Smogon for more ideas.

Shuca Berry Heatran w/ SR > Rhyperior
Shaymin, Celebi, or Breloom > Torterra
Offensive Suicune > Empoleon
Thunderbolt > Ice Beam on Tyranitar to break Rotom-H/Blissey/Gyarados stall cores

I'm not sure I see how this team works. It looks more like Pokémon that are each operating on their own. What you need to do is synergize your teammates, have them eeach contribute something to the overall use of the team.
I'd also like to point out that a good fighting type could rip through this team. Something like Lucario, with Crunch and Swords Dance, could probably give you a lot of trouble. If Lucario had Ice Punch, I can see him going through your whole team. Your Lucario's Vacuum Wave is pretty much the only thing stopping it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you should put a little more thought into this team. It isn't as bad as it could be, but it needs some retooling. I'd first suggest getting rid of Rhyperior and Torterra. With a few exceptions, lower-tier Pokemon are not useful in OU at all. I'd also recommend trying to replace Lucario. Choice Specs is, in my opinion, the least useful set Lucario can run.

I won't give you a full rate, but I will give you some options to consider. You can also try looking around Smogon for more ideas.

Shuca Berry Heatran w/ SR > Rhyperior
Shaymin, Celebi, or Breloom > Torterra
Offensive Suicune > Empoleon
Thunderbolt > Ice Beam on Tyranitar to break Rotom-H/Blissey/Gyarados stall cores

Because it's gen IV, Tbolt on Ttar does less to Rotom-H as it's a resist. Ice Beam is better here. And how does Tbolt help beat Blissey exactly?

Because it's gen IV, Tbolt on Ttar does less to Rotom-H as it's a resist. Ice Beam is better here. And how does Tbolt help beat Blissey exactly?

Why did you assume that he wasn't talking about Gyarados when he said T-bolt? Superpower is for Blissey, and Crunch is for Rotom-A.

Angad is correct. Thunderbolt destroys Gyarados, Superpower probably OHKOs Blissey, and Crunch does a decent amount of damage to Rotom-A.

I'd also like to point out one thing that I just noticed.

After much thought, I've put together a team that, in theory, should work well.
First of all, have you tested this team in Pokémon Online? You say in theory, so testing could seriously help.
Second of all, what's your reasoning behind this? As I said earlier, the team seems disjointed, but I could be missing your strategy.

Everyone can cover something someone else can't. Torterra and Starmie cover Tyranitar and Rhyperior's water problems, Lucario covers problems with steels, ghosts, ice, and dragons, Empoleon and Starmie cover fire problems, Rhyperior, Torterra, and Tyranitar cover special walls like Blissey while acting as physical walls to an extent, and Lucario, Empoleon, and Starmie do the opposite, the latter only to a certain extent. And it proved true when I tested it, too.

Can you give us Pokémon you've had problems with?
And what would you do if a Speed Boost Ninjask BP'd to Lucario with Close Combat, Crunch, and Ice Punch? It's not at all hard, since you have one priority move and SR won't help if Ninjask leads.

Swampert , Suicune, and Machamp were notable pains. As for the Lucario, I'd fight it off with my own, seeing as how my priority move is super effective.

I would definitely recommend making a switch, Last I checked Lucario was a very prevalent force. The main thing is that if Lucario is taken out early, or if you get Choiced onto one move, it'll be an issue. Your team will get torn through if that happens. Hippowdon over Rhyperior would probably work.
Hippowdon@Leftovers—Impish

~ Earthquake
~ Slack Off
~ Stealth Rock
~ Roar / Toxic / Stone Edge / Ice Fang
252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SpD

One problem with your theory that Torterra can cover your water weakness is that Torterra doesn't resist water and has a quadruple weakness to ice. Almost all OU water-type sweepers will outspeed and OHKO or 2HKO you before you can even attack.

I replaced Rhyperior and Torterra with Hippowdon and Breloom, and got much better results.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom