• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Types / Type Changes

Yeah, I simply didn't mention it (though the thought did cross my mind as I wrote it). I did say they would also break through substitutes easily, lol.

That's a pretty new mechanic though, they can always change it back to how it worked before Gen 6 if they decide to introduce a Sound type.

The question I have more than anything is this: How many sound-based moves would be retconned to Sound-type if it existed? There's a couple that are already a certain type, I'm sure, like Disarming Voice.

And the thing I want to know most: What are your ideas for its type matchup? I don't see many people actually putting that next to their new type suggestions, and I don't remember seeing one next to Sound in this thread so far.

Like I said previously I don't think we need a new type so I haven't thought much about it. But out of the common type suggestions Sound makes the most sense imo. Disregarding balance, I guess it could be strong against things that sound can break like Rock and Ice, and weak against things that can stop or insulate sound like idk, Psychic or Ghost?

That's a pretty new mechanic though, they can always change it back to how it worked before Gen 6 if they decide to introduce a Sound type.
Why make them less useful, though? Hyper Voice is a staple on clones of Pixilate for a reason.
Like I said previously I don't think we need a new type so I haven't thought much about it. But out of the common type suggestions Sound makes the most sense imo. Disregarding balance, I guess it could be strong against things that sound can break like Rock and Ice, and weak against things that can stop or insulate sound like idk, Psychic or Ghost?
That sounds reasonable. I dunno if Steel is a good idea to make weak to it, but at least neutral would be interesting (it's kinda... ringing in your ears, after all).

I've never understood the desire for a "Sound" type. Both the attacks and Pokemon that would be available to it feel like they'd be much too limited in scope and theme.

I've never understood the desire for a "Sound" type. Both the attacks and Pokemon that would be available to it feel like they'd be much too limited in scope and theme.
But I feel you only think like that because it hasn't happened...
I'd say the same thing about a "Poison" type.....
It's hard to argue because it's difficult to imagine not having the types we have....
Okay, for example, if we had only a "Rock" type, a "Ground" type would sound pretty strange and similar....
Hopefully i made the point I was trying to make... :p

Don't give Ice another weakness. It is already suffering as it is.
To be fair, he/she did say:
Disregarding balance

The glass type - they are weak against rock, and fighting, because they can be shattered. Also weak to ghost and dark, and immune to electric and poison and resist fire and water. They are strong against normal, because they get cut up obviously

The wood type - they are weak to fire and electric and immune to bug and poison. They resist water and grass and are strong against normal and fighting because it hurts.

Last edited:
I do feel like the space motif (Sun/Moon and GO's logo) could be hinting at Cosmic. Please GF. Make it happen.

The glass type - they are weak against rock, and fighting, because they can be shattered. Also weak to ghost and dark, and immune to electric and poison and resist fire and water. They are strong against normal, because they get cut up obviously
For Glass: they'd be strong against Flying and Bug, because you could cut birds and bugs, too. And Fighting - when fighters punch glass, they get stabbed by the glass shards. If dragons and fairies exist, they'd probably be hurt by glass, too. They'd have an advantage over Dark because even evil people can be stabbed with glass shards. It can be immune to Ground too, because you can just put dirt in a glass jar.

With this type chart, Glass would provide a great and balanced addition to the series.

I think a sound type would be cool, but I don't think the meta-game needs it. Honestly what the game NEEDS is something to be done with the ice type. Outside of a weather team, it has no use at all. Having an ice pokemon is just a weakness, it has too many downsides, it's weak to virtually everything. Honestly I think they need to straight up just take away some of it's weaknesses, or possibly give it some immunities, but that seems unlikely to be done. Adding another type isn't going to fix it, because it doesn't need something to beat it, it needs something to make it useful at all, and making another type weak against is pointless, since a very large number of pokemon can learn ice-type moves. Possibly the only thing that could fix it at this point is a move or abilities that can negate some of it's weaknesses or for them to come out with some seriously good ice-type pokemon with interesting type combinations or abilities.

I'm just not sure how willing Game Freak is to change ice's established properties, but it's really the best way to fix it.

wow I never thought anyone would dig my idea. I was worried it just sounded daft
but they are what i thought of anyway

The wood type - they are weak to fire and electric and immune to bug and poison. They resist water and grass and are strong against normal and fighting because it hurts.
Wood-type is too much like Grass-type. We already have Wood Hammer which is classified as a Grass-type attack.
That's why we don't see a Plant-type or Tree-type.

We had the ???-type in the series early installments, why not make it a announce it as a wildcard type? ...Then again, now that I think about it, that would probably make it an OP type. Never mind. Does anyone else think that electric types need an anthesis? Rubber?

We had the ???-type in the series early installments, why not make it a announce it as a wildcard type? ...Then again, now that I think about it, that would probably make it an OP type. Never mind. Does anyone else think that electric types need an anthesis? Rubber?
Rubber? Now what kind of moves would come from that

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom