• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Nicknaming your new pokemon

I've got two schemes I'm thinking of trying, both tying into the British theme:

A) I'm thinking of going all Arthurian names (Arthur would be my starter, obviously, and the rest of my team would be Lancelot, Guinevere, Merlin, Morgana, Elaine, etc), since this gen seems to have a lot of British lore themes, or

B) Since I know I'm going to name my PC Rita (I was thinking in honor of Rita Repulsa as she can make her (pocket) monsters grow, but there's also the song "Lovely Rita"), I would go with an all Beatles song theme (Jude, Lucy, Penny, Prudence, Maxwell, Michelle, Eleanor, Sadie, Rocky).
i'm just gonna name them wacky and stupid names

The duality of man.

I'm awful at naming my Pokemon. Most of the time, they get simple names like Rat the Ratatta or Nido the Nidoqueen. I have neither the motivation nor the creativity to give them anything else.

I'm thinking of going all Arthurian names (Arthur would be my starter, obviously, and the rest of my team would be Lancelot, Guinevere, Merlin, Morgana, Elaine, etc), since this gen seems to have a lot of British lore themes
Now that I think about it...

Guess I'm gonna name one of my Pokemon Dinadan. Thanks for inspiring this idea.

Usually I name my Pokemon after something that relates to their typing (ex: I name my Water-types Splash, Ocean, Riptide, Rain, etc.) or their general theme/characteristic (ex: Palindrome for Girafarig). The one time I went with an actual theme was in Ultra Moon; I named my team members after the scientific names of their real-world counterparts (ex: Vulpes for Zoroark), which fell apart when I added a Magnezone to my team late in the game.

My three planned team members are just named after something that relates to their typing (Sediment, Titanium, and Myotoxin), which I'm probably going to do for the remaining three, as-of-yet undecided, members.

update :3

pokemon sword:

scorbunny (F) : hibun

wooloo (F) : mouton

Gossifleur (F) : youmi

yamper (F) : yampi

New members for pokemon sword:

Nickit (F) : kit

Cufant (F) : cufa

& pokemon shield:

sobble (F)

Alcremie (F) : cremie *or if necessary, mil the milcery (F) *

Morpeko (F) : peko

galarian ponyta (F) : gala

new members for pokemon shield:

Blipbug (F) : blip

Hatenna (F) : tena

Last edited by a moderator:
Current nicknames:

Dribly the Inteleon
Rouge the Thievul
Dinadan the Sylveon
Draken the Flygon
Aerith the Cursola (should have eviolited it dammit)
Silt the Coalossal

I have some box pokemon that I caught on a whim too. The only ones I can really remember are

Damascus the Linoone (who I eventually swapped out for a weavile).
Scratch the Weavile (who I eventually swapped out for my Flygon)
Vanessa Long the Munna (who hasn't once been in my party. I caught her on my way to the shrine thingy)

I was thinking to nickname Zacian as "Titania". Titania is the name of the Queen of the Fairies in Shakespeare, and the name also refers to the largest moon of the planet Uranus, which is the name of the primordial sky god in Greek mythology, fitting nicely with the winged appearance of Zacian.

That or the name of "Titanicyan" could also work, being a combo of Titanic and Cyan.

Here are the nicknames I have for my Pokemon.

Scorbunny/Raboot/Cinderace - Usagi (Japanese for rabbit)
Grookey/Thwackey/Rillaboom - Abu (The monkey from Aladdin)
Sobble/Drizzile/Inteleon - Kamille (Sounds similar to chameleon)
Skwovet - Perri (After the character from one of Felix Salten's books, Perri)
Corviknight - Corbiere (French for raven/crow)
Hattena - Esperanza (Spanish for hope)
Alcremie - Dolce (Italian for sweet)
Galarian Ponyta - Unicorn
Falinks - Phalanx (After the formation its based on)
Dreepy - Deirdre (No explanation for this one)
Gossifleur - Tanpopo (Japanese for dandelion)
Wooloo - Fuwa (Japanese for soft/fluffy)
Zacian - Beowulf (Has wolf in it, and is the name of a character in the epic poem Beowulf)
Zamazenta - Sandalio (Comes from the name sandulf, which means true wolf)
Indeedee - Faith
Sizzlipede - Amelia (Couldn't think of anything better)
Nickit - Nikita
Yamper - Corgi
Sinistea - Darjeeling (It's a type of tea)
Toxel - Amethyst (It's purple, and because I couldn't think of anything better)
Applin - Apple
Cufant - Elephant
Morpeko - Hamtaro (Named after the hamster in the titular kids anime)
Eternatus - Discord

Last edited:
Names for my team:

Inteleon - Lizzy (lizard, feminine appearance, feminine name)
Orbeetle - Elliot (ET- The Extra-Terrestrial. Don't you dare tell me Orbeetle and its giga aren't UFOs.)
Toxtricity - Jagger (He's spiky, and he's a guitarist. Also, Moves Like Jagger is my jam - specifically the kidz bop one)
Grimmsnarl - Follicle (Hair follicle)
Coalossal - Megazord (Power Rangers is my childhood)
Sandaconda - Nagini (I'm a potterhead)

I realized I never put my final team here. I based my team around this girl group called Red Velvet.

Irene the Cinderace. My starter and the one I consider the leader of my team. Irene is the actual leader of the girl group. Her signature color is also red/pink, which fits with the Scorbunny line being red in color. Her nickname and the animal she's associated with is also a rabbit, so this nickname just fits perfectly all around.

Red Velvet the Alcremie. The name of the group is Red Velvet, which is a cake. Alcremie is based on cream, which is on cakes, and it's G-Max form is a cake. My Red Velvet can't Gigantamax, tho. She's Ruby Swirl flavored, so she even has the coloring of a Red Velvet cake.

Seulgi the Appletun. The real Seulgi is known for her love of food, so an apple Pokemon was great to name after her. They're also both adorable beans. Her signature color is orange/yellow which Appletun's back is sort of similar to in color.

Joy the Dracozolt. The real Joy is the tallest member of her group, her animal nickname is chicken/chick/bird and her color is green. Dracozolt is super huge, is revived using a bird fossil, and has green legs. Perfect.

Yeri the Galarian Rapidash. Galarian Ponyta is super adorable, just like the real Yeri. Her signature color is purple, like G-Rapidash's mane is. Yeri is also the last member who was added to the group so she's notable in that way, and my Yeri is the only member of my team who is a Galarian Form of an older Pokemon, so she stands out in that way.

Wendy the Morpeko. The real Wendy's signature animal is a hamster and she's known for a love of food as well. Her signature color is blue. So I gave her name to a Morpeko, a hamster which loves to eat, who I caught in a blue Quick Ball .

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom